4 comments

Funny

Bella kinda hated her mom.

She had ways she wanted Bella to do things, and most she couldn't do. Like cooking, or art, or technology things.

She couldn't do that stuff. But what she loved to do, was to sing. Of course, her mother didn't let her. She didn't think music was a worthy skill, and told Bella not to do it, but she had different ways to make time to sing.

First, Ms. L, the music teacher, let Bella practice every morning. She asked Bella if she could help, and Bella was overjoyed.

She walked to and from school by herself, and hardly anybody passed her, so she sang then.

Her oldest sister knew about the singing, and would help her find time to sing.

She was in seventh grade. She didn't have many friends, since she didn't like talking to people.

She had light brown skin, dark brown eyes, and curly black hair that was pulled up into a puff.

She was dreading summer, because her mom was going to make her focaus on one thing.

She couldn't draw to save her life, she was hopeless with technology, and her food burned, melted, or tasted terrible. She was smart, but not even in the top 5 in her class. She didn't know what to do, so she went to her sister's room, and flopped on her bed.

"Why are you on my bed?" Her sister, Mary, asked, sighing.

Bella's face was buired in the pillows, and it muffled her voice. "I don't know what to do."

"I can't hear you, Bel." Mary informed her, sitting next to Bella on the bed.

Mary and Bella looked alot alike, same hair and skin, but Mary had hazel eyes and red glasses. She was also alot neater then Bella, and she dressed better. She was wearing black pants, and a red t-shirt, wheras Bella was wearing a long sleeved green shirt, blue leggings, and a black and white striped skirt.

She sat up, and grabbed the rubix cube by Mary's nightstand. She had always wanted one. "I don't know what to do."

"For what?" Mary asked, pulling the cube from Bella's fingers, and putting it back.

Bella sighed, and layed on her back. "For Mom's whole 'pick a subject' thing. I can't do any of the things she wants like you, Bri, or Francis."

Mary was an excellent artist. Her walls were covered with her artwork. Francis was a tech wizard, and had all kinds of electronic things in his room. Brianna could cook almost anything, and often made the meals for the family.

"I know," Mary tells her. "But you'll find something. I'm sure of it."

Bella sighed again. Mary was probaly right. She just didn't believe her.

***********


"BELLA!" A voice screeched the next day at school.

Bella closed her eyes, and clenched her teeth. She didn't even have to turn around to know who it was.

"Hello, Sophia." She muttered.

Sophia was a girl who had been in the same class as Bella since pre-k. Sophia was sure it was a sign they should be friends, but Bella disagreed. Sophia was kind of annoying. She was always talking, and got mad over the smallest things.

She had long brown hair, and pink glasses that made her muddy brown eyes look huge. She was short, and Bella had to look down at her. She always wore dresses, and that day it was blue with yellow flowers, and green sneakers.

"Hi Bella! Guess who talked to me today? Will! He asked me if I could sit somewhere else on the bus! Can you believe that? I said, yes I can, and then he said thanks! "

Bella rolled her eyes. Sophia had a new crush everyday. She didn't know when someone was being nice, or rude.

Sophia kept chattering as they walked to Mrs. Nelson, one of the seventh grade teachers.

Bella walked to her seat, ignoring Sophia. She looked at the board, and almost tripped.

It read,


All Students will be particiating in the school musical.

We will need solo volunteers, but everyone will have to

sing. You will be meeting with Ms. L all week to practice.


Everyone will have to sing? Her mom would hear! Well, actually, maybe not. If she took a solo, she would, but with everyone singing, her mom probaly wouldn't hear her.

So it's fine. Right?


*******************



They practiced the musical, which ended up being the lion king, one of Bella's favorite movies.

She didn't sign up to do a solo, even though she really wanted to. She knew all of the words, and knew she could sing the songs, but couldn't risk it. Sophia signed up to do a solo.

On the day of the musical, Bella was bored.

Everyone was rushing around, making sure everything was in place. Bella sat by the stage entrance, on a stool, twisting the rubix cube Mary let her borrow for support.

"Bella!" Someone said.

She looked up to see Ms. L. She was a tall lady, with light skin, and wavy blonde hair. She wore a long green dress, and a long grey jacket over it.

"We need you to sing in place of Sophia." Ms. L told her.

Bella shook her head. "I can't. What happened?"

"Sophia got sick at the last minute, and her backup has stage fright. Nobody else knows the words."

Bella shook her head again. "I can't."

"Please, Bella. We need you." Ms. L begged.

Bella sighed. She couldn't lose the trust her favorite teacher had in her. If she ever wanted to be able to sing in front of people, she had to do it.

"Fine" She muttered.

Ms. L's face lit up, and Bella smiled.

"Come on, we need to get you in her coustume." Ms. L said, grabbing Bella's arm, and pulling her through the backstage. They stopped, and Ms. L looked through a rack of clothes.

"Here," She said, passing a bundle of clothes to Bella. "This one should fit."

Bella went down the hallway, to the bathroom to change.

She was pulling on the tan jumpsuit, when she remembered something.

One of the songs she would be singing, was 'Can you feel the love tonight' with Noah Peters.

Noah. Oh no.

Noah was one of the quietest kids in her class, which was why everyone was shocked when he sang better than everybody else. Bella had had a crush on him since fourth grade when they were partners for a project. She never talked to him, and now she was singing a love song with him?

"Oh my god." She said out loud. "Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god, I can't do this."

And yet, she walked out, and went back to the stage, trying to calm her nerves.

"There you are, Bella. Come on." Ms. L said when she spotted Bella. "You look great."

They walked to where Bella had been waiting at first.

I need a sign that I'm not going to completly embarrass myself in front of everyone.

She saw her sisters rubix cube sitting on the stool.

Thats the best sign I'm gonna get. She thought.

********************

Bella could not believe she actually did it.

They got a standing ovation, and even her mother cheered.

After, Bella accidently ran into someone backstage.

"Shoot, I'm sorry." She said, reaching out to steady herself before she fell.

Strong hands grabbed hers, and she looked up...into Noah's dark green eyes.

She straightend, realizing how close they were, but Noah didn't let go of her hands. She hadn't actually gotten a close look at him in a while. He had tanned skin, and curly black hair that hung in his face. He was suprisingly strong, and Bella could see muscle in his arms. He was taller then her, and she had to look up at him.

"It's okay." Noah said softly, looking at her.

Her eyes flickered to his lips, then back to his eyes. "Good job out there. You're really talented."

"Thanks. You too." He told her, smiling.

They started talking and got along grandly. They finished the play, and once they had changed, and were in the hallway, Noah gave her a rose.

"Do you maybe want to go to the movies later?" He asked, brushing his hair out of his face.

Bella nodded. "I have to ask-"

"BEL!!" She heard someone scream.

She turned, and stumbled back as Mary hugged her.

"You were AMAZING. Why didn't you tell me you were going to sing?" Mary asked, grinning.

Bella laughed. "Sophia couldn't sing, so Ms. L asked me to!"

"She picked the right person." Mary assured her. She saw Noah, and grinned bigger. Bella made a face, and Mary whispered, "Later."

"Bella." A voice behind Mary said.

Bella bit her lip, and Mary shot her an encoraging look, before walking off to talk to someone.

"Hey, mom." Bella said, wishing she could dissappear.

Her mother was tall, with the same light skin and eyes as Bella. She wore a knee length grey skirt, and a grey jacket. Her mom was wearing her favorite necklace.

"Bella, why didn't you tell me that you could sing?" Her mother asked gently.

Bella took a deep breath. " I didn't want you to stop me from doing what I love."

"I wish you had told me. We could've talked about it, and worked it out." Her mother pulled Bella into a hug.

Bella was shocked. Her mother wasn't mad?

"I thought you would be mad, and disown me or something." She told her mom.

Her mom rose an eyebrow. "Why would you think that?"

"Um, well, you made Mary, Bri and Franscis learn one thing, and you never really liked music? So...."

He mother nodded. "Okay, we'll talk about this later. Ready to go?"

"Um, actually, can I go with Noah to the movies?" She asked, glancing at Noah, who smiled.

Her moms eyebrow went up again. "Who is Noah?"

Noah stepped up. "Hi, ma'am. I'm Noah Peters. Bella has an amazing voice."

"Yes, thats true. So do you." Her mother replied.

Noah smiled. "Thank you. Thats a beautiful necklace. Where did you get it?"

They kept talking, and Bella knew her mom would say yes.

"Alright, if she's back by 9:00." Her mom said, passing Bella some money, which Bella put in her bag.

"Thanks, mom." Bella said, hugging her.

Her mom smiled, and returned the embrace. "Mary and Noah's brother will drive you. Be good, okay?"

"Definitly."


************************


"So, you have five sibilings?" Bella asked Noah.

They had gone to see the lion king while Mary went to the mall. Then, they went to a diner near the school.

"Yeah. All brothers. All older." Noah said, sipping his milkshake.

Bella shook her head. "I have one brother. He's enough. Boy's are annoying."

When Noah faked a hurt expression, she laughed.

"Not all boys. Just one's with curly hair that don't like ketchup." She said, eyeing his plain fries.

He laughed too. "It's disgusting! And, I feel like I'm the oppisite of annoying."

"Okay, it is not. It is litertally univarsally loved." Bella informed him, before taking a bite of her grilled cheese sandwich.

Noah ate some fries, then replied. "The aliens might not like it."

"Good point." Bella agreed.

Mary, who was sitting with Noah's brother Liam, leaned over, and said, "So, are you guys dating, or what?"

Liam looked over, too. Bella bit her lip, and looked at Noah, who rose an eyebrow. She shrugged, and nodded and Noah smiled, then turned to Mary and Liam.

"Yes." He told them.

"Did you seriously just decide that?" Liam asked them. He looked just like Noah, except his hair was longer.

"Yes." Bella said, which made Mary laugh.

They kept talking, and soon, the food was finished, and it was time to go.

"See you tomorrow?" Bella asked Noah.

They was standing by Mary's car, and Mary and Liam were on the other side, talking.

Noah nodded, and smiled. "Yeah."

"Okay. Bye." Bella said, reaching for the door handle.

"Wait. One more thing."

She turned back towards him.

He leaned forward, cupped her face, and pressed his lips aganist hers. Her eyebrows shot up. He moved a hand to her neck, and she brought her hands to his hips.

After a moment, the car horn honked loudly, and they broke apart.

"Get a room!" Liam shouted. They heard Mary laugh.

Bella bit her lip. "See you tomorrow?"

"Yeah." Noah said.

Bella opened the passenger door, and glared at Mary who was counting money.

"You didn't bet money on me." She said.

Mary grinned, and put the money in her purse. "Yes, I did."

Bella rolled her eyes, but sank in the chair. "Can you believe he kissed me?"

"Yes, I can believe it. Now, buckle up." Mary told her, starting the car.


*********************


Bella got out of the shower, in a t-shirt and shorts, and went to her room.

Lying on her pillow was a small box.

She opened it, and found a rubix cube, and a card.


Dear Bella,

Good job today. Reach for the stars! Try to fix the cube. I Love you.

Mom


Bella grinned.

Maybe her mother wasn't so bad.

August 31, 2020 22:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Regina Perry
23:30 Nov 16, 2020

You have an eyeball on your ankle.

Reply

Ari Berri
01:21 Nov 17, 2020

Whattttttttt. I most definitly do not. How do you know that. 😬

Reply

Regina Perry
02:46 Nov 17, 2020

The Count Olaf I know does, anyway. And I'm pretty sure Captain Widdershins does, too.

Reply

Ari Berri
12:15 Nov 17, 2020

Yes, that's true. Nice job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.