30 comments

Science Fiction Drama Adventure

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

TW: swearing


Grateful locals patted Jack Dancer on the shoulder everywhere he went on Copernicus. Being congratulated for murdering a spaceship full of people made him queasy but he’d tired of telling them to fuck off. Leaving his spaceship to visit a planet was bad enough. Planets didn’t move the way his body needed to, with the constant gentle vibrations of a ship gliding through the vacuum.

“How much for this?” asked Max Axel.

“Is he with you?” the fruit stall seller asked Jack, who nodded. “No charge for our hero’s friend. We’d be dead if not for you guys.” The balding man with the pencil moustache smiled. His sunburnt cheeks creased as he showed crooked teeth.

“Thanks man.” Max pocketed the apple and bowed his head in thanks.

“We should be leaving,” Jack moaned in his usual monotone. He cradled his toolbox like a baby in his arms. The clock over the market declared that it was nine-eighty, local time. They were due to leave at midday. He turned, seeing more smiling faces. More hands reached to take his. He returned a lemon sucking grimace that was his best forced smile and slipped through the crowd. He chewed at a baked potato with cheese that had gone cold as he pushed past well wishers.

At the port Doctor Anne Brie sat on a cargo container of oxygen canisters.

“Boys, just in time to help.” She jumped down from the container and pointed to a woman with her back to them, looking at their shuttle. “But first, meet Irene Moriarty. She’s the new navigation officer.”

Irene had a face that was old before its time, dry skin and crow’s feet. Her wide smile hinted at madness, that of a killer clown. Irene tilted her buzz cut head to take in Jack and Max. She winked at the younger man and swaggered over.

“Nice to meet you both.” Irene held out a hand which matched Jack’s for its papery quality. He shook twice, only twice. Max shook her hand until Irene pulled away with a raised eyebrow.

“Nice to meet you.” Jack forced out the greeting, knowing it was the social protocol.

“I’m Max,” said the acne scarred twenty something. “This miserable sack of scars is Jack. We’re engineers.” The scrawny lad puffed up his chest.

Irene’s brown eyes flickered from Max back to Jack’s grizzled face. She licked her lips. “I don’t mind scars. Quite like them actually. Got plenty of my own.” She flashed the psychopath smile again. “Suppose we should get these things aboard then?” Irene waved a hand at the supplies. “Wouldn’t want to suffocate would we?”


The Fairweather swam through the vacuum, directed by Irene. She knew the pathways between the worlds of the Federation of Free Colonies. The crew had a bounty in Pierce Dynasty territory thanks to Jack destroying one of their ships. They had to take the long way through the darkness to worlds that rejected a fascist empire of hundreds of millions.

“War is coming between us and them,” Irene said, standing on the bridge, hands on her hips. “The Pierce Dynasty isn’t going to wait around forever. They have the numbers.”

“Us and them? You’re planning on fighting?” Jack asked, switching his toolbox from his left hand to his right.

“I’m not joining that lot. Fascists.” Irene bit her lip looking at him.

“We’re a haulage vessel. We’re not going to war,” said Captain Eliza Erdman. She brushed a hand over her spiked white hair with blue tips. “If Copernicus hadn’t been starving we never would have,” she stopped to correct herself. “Jack would never have spaced the crew on the PD Anathema. We’re not about killing here.”

Irene shrugged. “Would you just watch innocent people get killed if there was a fight? That’s what it would be.”

The captain sighed. “Changing the subject, don’t we pass near the Ghostly Trinity on our current path?” She bent her neck and gave a satisfied sound when it cracked. She rolled her shoulders. Jack caught Irene ogling the captain’s curves as much as he was.

“The what?” Irene asked.

“The Vacuum Trio. The Silver Ghosts of the Darjeeling Path,” Eliza Erdman threw out the names as if she was explaining that one and one was two. She looked for agreement from the rest of the crew.

Jack shook his head. “Never heard of it.”

“They’re a trio of statues, humanoid-ish but too tall to be human. They’ve been sitting out there in the vacuum for hundreds of years. Discovered by the first colonists to head out that way. I’ve wanted to see them since I was a kid.” Eliza’s glowing smile had a childish exuberance that was rare for her.

“I’ll look them up and chart a course if it’s not too far out of our way,” said Irene. She brought up three dimensional star charts on a projector. “This needs to be updated,” she said. “There’s a system here.” She waved her hand through a blank space in the map.

“Thanks, Officer,” said Eliza.

“You got it, Captain.” Irene saluted casually without looking away from the chart.


Jack’s magnetised boots clunked on the flat surface of an upturned hexagonal pyramid floating in darkness twelve million miles from anything. Three giant statues glittered in the beam of the Fairweather’s headlights.

“Incredible aren’t they,” said the captain in a voice of worship. “They’ve been carbon dated. Two million years old. Think about that.” She had been first to set foot on the closet thing that patch of vacuum had to a tourist spot.

“I don’t believe that,” said Doctor Brie. “It’s not possible. They’re just some sculpture that someone dumped here as a joke. A prank.”

“Cynic,” Eliza rebuffed the doctor. “Look at those arms.” The gloved finger of Captain Erdman pointed to the arms which divided at the point where humans had elbows. Four fingered hands, two on each split, two that formed the equivalent of thumbs on the outside. “And the legs.”

Jack’s blue eyes took in legs which bent in three places like an insect. Two toes pointed forwards, one back.

“Do you think they had a base eight maths system? Or fourteen?” Eliza’s smile was visible through her helmet visor.

“They feel old,” Jack said. He’d shivered looking at their oblong heads with three eyes.

“Exactly.” Eliza spread her hands. “A believer.”

“I said they feel old. That doesn’t mean I believe it. Whoever made them did a good job.” He touched the bulbous torso of the middle one. It had the resistance of stone. To his senses it seemed to be one with the base of the pyramid they stood on.

“We’ve seen them now. Can we go?” Doctor Brie asked.

“Not yet.” Eliza said. “How tall would you say they are? I read they were three hundred centimetres but they don’t look that tall.”

“Two fifty maybe,” said the doctor impatiently.

“Two fifty at most,” Jack said, holding his hand up to the head of the metallic beast before him. “More like two thirty.” He ran a hand up the arm of the one before him. “They’re cool. Creepy but coo-” He stopped talking as the statue moved, arm snapping around his wrist. “GET OFF!”

“Easy, Jack. Don’t shout into the-” Doctor Brie started to scold him until she saw he was in the grasp of the silver creature. “What the hell?” She tried to help.

“Holy shit.” Captain Eliza tried to open the hand of the thing that had Jack.

One of the hands grabbed Jack’s palm. He felt a burning, piercing pain.

“IT’S STABBING ME! GET IT OFF!” Jack shook and struggled but the monster statue wouldn’t let him go.

“We’ll get you out, Jack.” Captain Eliza said as she wrestled with the metal alien. “I’m sorry.”

The cold thing released him. Annie, Eliza and Jack stumbled backwards while the central statue stood back as if it had never moved. Blood flowed out into the void in perfect orbs of red.

“What the hell was that?” the captain asked.

“Who cares? We need to go,” said the doctor. “Jack, are you alright?”

“Who would be alright after that?” he asked. He leapt from the hexagonal platform towards the ship to get away from the thing as fast as possible. His glove was leaking oxygen. He had to be fast. Momentum tried to spin him until he steadied himself with bursts of gas from his atmospheric thrusters. The void carried him back to the Fairweather. He slowed his approach with another spray and blessed the cold steel of the Panthera Tigris Siberia model ship.

Jack was through the airlock before the captain and the doctor had made it back to the ship. He fumbled with his suit one handed, right hand clenched. His right hand had enough scars to tell stories about, with a number seven spanner shape branded into the point where his hand became his wrist.

“What’s up, man?” Max asked casually. “Repetitive strain thing? Carpal tunnel?”

Jack winced as he opened his hand. Three puncture wounds in a triangle were surrounded by yellow swollen skin with angry red bumps. “Shit,” Jack said.

“Shit indeed. Let’s get you to the sick bay. What happened?” Max guided his comrade by the shoulders down the hallways. Jack couldn’t look away from his hand, feeling the burning sensation as if it was screaming in his mind. “Is that an allergic reaction to something in your suit?”

Jack shook his head. He was pale as he licked his lips. “One of those things grabbed me.”

Max laughed. “Yeah right. What really happened though?” They turned a corner. “Nearly there.” He guided Jack into the infirmary and helped him onto a bed. Running steps echoed up the corridor.

“How are you?” Doctor Brie asked as she slowed to be by Jack’s side. “Show me.”

He opened his palm as bruises began to form on both wrists. “It burns. Something’s really wrong.” He watched the spots around the three punctures swell into blisters as the bleeding holes in his palm began to weep a disgusting yellow substance.

“How is he?” Captain Eliza asked, running in. She caught her breath, of all of them she had the greatest body mass.

Doctor Brie washed her hands up to the elbows and dried them thoroughly. “Having a reaction to whatever stabbed him,” said the doctor. “I have no idea what that thing did to you,” she said to Jack. “But you’re going to be alright.” She grabbed a scalpel, cotton swabs, alcohol rub and snapped on her gloves. “If you’re staying, clean your hands and put on gloves as well. We don’t know if the irritant is something that could spread.” She pulled a mask from a drawer and pulled it on over her ears. The other two followed suit.

“Too late for me to do that?” Jack joked.

“Just a little.” Doctor Annie smiled. She had a sweet, reassuring smile when she had to, a visual hug that told you everything was going to be alright. She pulled up the sleeve of his other arm and injected him with a dose of anaesthetic. “Count backwards from twenty for me Jack.”

“Twenty.

Nineteen.

Eighteen.

Ow, shit. It hurts.

Seventeen.

Sixteen.

Fuck.

Fifteen.

Fourtee-” Jack passed out before he could finish.


He woke slowly. Doctor Annie stood at the end of the bed. Her face was tense.

“Are you alright Jack?” the doctor asked.

“I suppose,” he said, yawning. “It still hurts.” Captain Erdman was on the left with Max. Irene stood on Jack’s right and next to her. “OH SHIT!” He rolled to the side instinctively, right off the bed.

“It’s alright, Jack.” Doctor Annie and Max helped him to his feet. “It’s been here for two days. All it does is watch you. It’s creepy, but it doesn’t want to hurt you.”

Jack stood, looking across the hospital bed at the creature that had put him there in the first place.

“It’s different,” Jack said despite everything else that was going on. “WHO LET IT IN?” He looked around with accusation in his eyes. With every movement he made the silver creature’s face followed him. The central eye had shrunk to a button. The head had stretched vertically. It was less oblong, more human.

The split in the middle of its arms had almost fused. The legs were human, shorter.

“It hit the hull minutes after you passed out. It cut its way through. Then it closed the breach behind itself.” Max smiled as if the whole thing was just a great anecdote in a bar. “We tried hitting it. It didn’t defend itself. It just kept walking towards you. It’s been standing by your side for two days.”

“Two days?” Jack looked at the bandage around his hand. “I was unconscious for two days?”

“You had a high fever,” said Doctor Brie. “Your body was adapting to whatever infection or irritation that thing caused.” She spoke about the visitor coldly.

“So it’s alive?” Jack asked, looking from one member of the crew to another. Max shrugged.

Irene winked. “At least you’re on your feet again, handsome.” She gave a sideways glance at the metal monster. “I thought that thing had killed you. Would have been a waste. May I say, your eyes are looking particularly blue right now.”

Jack cleared his throat. The rest of the crew looking away as Annie smirked. Holding up his hand, he inspected the clean bandages.

“Have a look,” Annie nodded. “It’s healing well. The bruises will hurt you for longer.”

Jack pulled up his sleeves to reveal purple finger shaped bruises in an alien formation around both wrists. He unravelled the bandages on his hand. A triangle of three purple-brown scabs decorated his palm.

“Cool scar,” said Irene. She smiled.

Yeah, I’ll treasure another mutilation of my body, he thought. “It’s done nothing the whole time?” Jack asked, walking around the bed to look at the silver statue. It turned to face him.

“It stood there. All it’s done is change,” Captain Eliza said. “I think it’s mimicking us. Look at it. Our height, our proportions. It wants to communicate. This is like first contact.” Her hair lay flat on her head for once, not gelled into spikes. Most of the blue tips were lost in the white of her hair.

“It’s not an alien,” Doctor Brie said dismissively.

“What are you talking about? Look at it!” The captain shook an excited hand at the creature.

“I’m almost certain it’s a robot,” said the doctor.

“An alien robot maybe,” said the captain.

“What does it want?” Jack asked. He was all too aware that the hospital gown was tied at the back with a simple bow knot. Irene’s eyes peeked where the fabric parted, making him self conscious for the first time in many years.

He stood before the ancient silver entity, looking up at the ever more human face. “What do you want?”

“Stand,” it said in a voice that echoed back to ages before life on Earth had left the oceans.

“What?” Jack stuttered, stepping backwards in shock. He stumbled into Irene, whose hands tried to steady him at the waist, one slipping inside his gown. He didn’t know if it was on purpose or by accident as he twirled. Caught between the shock of the thing talking and the shock of her hands on him, he tripped over her foot.

“Un,” said the creature. “Dear.”

“Did it talk before?” Jack asked, trying to stand without exposing himself. Irene leered at him as much as any crusty old man had at any barmaid Jack had ever seen.

Eliza shook her head. “No. That’s new.”

“Can I have my clothes back?” Jack asked.

“Sure thing,” Irene winked. “I washed them for you. Don’t think I’ll be doing that again. It was just because you were injured. I’m not the housewife type.” She picked up his Fairweather uniform and ratty underwear from the bed behind the captain. “I have to say though, when I was talking them off, I noticed you could do with some new boxers.” She waggled them in the air until he snatched them, feeling a twinge of pain in his hand that wasn’t his carpal tunnel.

“You undressed me?” he asked her, feeling the heat growing in his cheeks.

“Someone had to. So I volunteered.” She patted his shoulder. “Don’t worry. It’s nothing I haven’t seen before. And nothing I didn’t enjoy.”

Kill me now, he thought.

“Anyway, I should be going,” said Max with his own face flushed. “Glad you’re better, Jack. Good luck with the alien.”

Which one?

“You should get some food and then more rest,” Doctor Annie said. “Stretch your legs though. Lying for two days is going to give you some aches and pains.”

“I can help with those. I can stretch you.” Irene smiled and licked her lips.

I can’t tell if you want to sleep with me or eat me. “Can you all leave me alone to get changed.”

“Want help?” Irene asked.

“NO.”

She laughed to herself as she left with the rest of them. He listened, waiting until her footsteps had receded down the hallway before tugging the bow on his white gown and jumping into his boxer shorts.

“Un,” said the thing as he zipped up his Fairweather boiler suit. “Dear. Stand.”

Jack frowned. “Understand?” He zipped up his boots.

“Un. Dear. Stand,” it said with a voice that made anyone and everything he’d ever known feel young.

“Understand. Understand what?” Jack rubbed cold hands together. “Will you walk with me?” He moved to the door.

It turned with stuttering movement as if the battery was low or it suffered arthritis. “We. Yule. Woe.” Its feet clanged on the floor. “Queath. Me?”

Walking nightmare, Jack thought, I hope you’re friendly.



December 15, 2023 05:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Michał Przywara
03:25 Dec 19, 2023

Jeez, poor Jack! First there's all the fallout and trauma of blowing up the ship, and now a rather invasive encounter with a mysterious, possibly dangerous lifeform - and on top of Irene, there's also the alien/robot to deal with. And his friends seem to be taking this all quite lightly. On the other hand, maybe this is precisely the kind of interruption he needs, to help him move on from what he had to do. This could have easily dipped into horror. It still might, for all we know, but alien things getting through your spacesuit - throug...

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:59 Dec 19, 2023

Thanks Michał. I wasn't sure whether to go for horror or something lighter when I started it. I've tried to have a bit of both for now. I have more of an idea where I want this to go later. Horror is a fun place to start and I've been reading a space horror series again by Alastair Reynolds called Revenger. Irene is there to give Jack more to be socially awkward about. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:19 Dec 16, 2023

Great! Is this the beginning of a New saga? Or are there previous parts? I love the characters here. Keen to read more

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:25 Dec 17, 2023

Thanks Derrick. This is part four. Here are the other ones. Each one has a link to the next in the comments. 1. Orphan Jack https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/2wluae/ 2. Jack in a Box https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/vfsztt/ 3. You Don’t Know Jack https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/ra1ln7/

Reply

Belladona Vulpa
18:41 Dec 20, 2023

Didn't realize it was part of a series of stories! I might read them over Christmas. I like the titles too, perhaps the next one could be "Hit the road Jack!"

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:22 Dec 20, 2023

I’m definitely calling one Hit the road Jack but when I do it means he’s getting kicked out of somewhere because I want to reference the song. Thanks again Belladona.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jessie Laverton
09:35 Jan 01, 2024

This took a few unexpected turns! It took me by surprise when the statue grabbed him, and then again when it was watching him in bed. It's a very entertaining read with some vivid characters.

Reply

Graham Kinross
16:57 Jan 01, 2024

Thank you Jessie. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
05:01 Dec 22, 2023

Fine work.

Reply

Graham Kinross
19:51 Dec 22, 2023

Thank you Philip.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
18:39 Dec 20, 2023

A page-turner, with interesting characters in a suspenseful futuristic setting!

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:42 Dec 20, 2023

Thanks Belladona. I’m glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I see that the trend of Jack’s titles including his name is continuing. I like that, though I wonder if it will ever get difficult for you to keep it up. After what happened in the last one, I’m interested to see where you’ll take this one. [Planets didn’t move the way his body needed to, with the constant gentle vibrations of a ship gliding through the vacuum.] Since he was born on a spaceship, I don’t think it’s too surprising that he’s most comfortable there. He was calibrated to it in the womb. [“Nice to meet you,” Jack forced out ...

Reply

Graham Kinross
04:03 Dec 19, 2023

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I made the alterations. The paragraphs will hopefully stick but the reedsy editer doesn't seem to like that much. That and paragraph indentation seem to be up to luck. Thanks again for all of the effort you put into reading this so closely and pointing out the typos.

Reply

Hi, Graham. I saw on the news that there was an earthquake in the west of Japan. I know you're on the opposite side, so I hope you'll not be affected by the earthquake, but I wanted to check in. I'm praying for you and your family. I pray that you have a happy New Year, despite present circumstances.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:25 Jan 02, 2024

We’re fine. Tokyo is alright so my wife’s family are safe and we’re visiting my family in Scotland just now so it hasn’t affected us. All the same it’s a tragedy for those who were caught up in it and I’m grateful no one I know has to deal with that. Thank you for your concern.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:49 Dec 15, 2023

Jack has a couple of new admirers.

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:51 Dec 15, 2023

Yeah, none that he welcomes. Thanks for reading and commenting Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
09:09 Dec 21, 2023

alien robots now? Jack has strange life.

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:32 Dec 21, 2023

He does. I have to keep him on his toes. Thank you for reading it Aoi.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
01:11 Jan 09, 2024

welcome. happy new year.

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:00 Jan 09, 2024

Happy New Year Aoi.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
00:50 Jan 10, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:35 Jan 10, 2024

You’re welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:01 Feb 03, 2024

Another great Jack story. Very exciting. Lots of mysteries left unsolved. Why did he get injured by the silver thing? Why is he changing? Has it a crush on him? Why him? Why was he grabbed to start with? I know you like writing about the creepy stuff.

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:49 Feb 03, 2024

I wanted to amplify the misunderstanding between them. The unknown is usually a scary thing and it’s in our instincts to assume that different things are hostile. I haven’t decided where to head from here. Thanks for reading and commenting Kaitlyn.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cassie Finch
09:47 Jan 10, 2024

What the hell? That was so randomly different form the other ones with Jack. Aliens now? cool but unexpected. I liked it. Go for it and show me more of this. Jack is an interesting new charater for you.

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:42 Jan 10, 2024

Thank you and of course I will. I appreciate your kind comments Cassie.

Reply

Cassie Finch
09:23 Jan 12, 2024

YOu're welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
L M
21:29 Apr 19, 2024

Poor jack leads a weird life.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.