Love to the Minutest Detail

Submitted into Contest #57 in response to: Write a story about someone breaking a long family tradition.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Romance Historical Fiction

 Uloma took a deep breath as the sand on the shores touch her bare feet. The sound of croaking toads is heard from a distant direction. The waves are turbulent tonight. What a time to visit the beach! Cold air is beginning to distil the noise of the ocean. It gets colder by the minute as dusk sets in.

Uloma and Henri planned meeting here to discuss for the umpteenth time their blossoming relationship. Our first day remains fresh in my memory Uloma thinks aloud.

It was a bright April afternoon; it has just stopped raining and people were returning to their engagements for the day. The street of Mapina was filled with petty traders running back to the wares. This section of the street had a cluster of make-shift kiosks being on the outskirts of a big market. As she struggles with her tote bag and a few textbooks, she forgets she is in a rowdy place.

"Thank Goodness it has stopped raining" Henri walks out of the crowded train station close to Mapina street. He has an appointment with his prospects to catch within about two hours.

Well, time is still on my hands he mutters to himself.

The chime of his Smartphone startles him. He continues to look at the wristwatch as he walks past the boundary between the train station and Mapina street. Pronto, he walks into Uloma sending her books cascading into a pool of stagnant water simultaneously staining her Vermillion flare gown.

Whaaaaatttt! She screams

A lot of eyes are on the duo. Henri quickly makes to pick the books from the pool of water but quickly drops them back because they are ruined and unreadable.

I am so sorry, please where can I replace these books from? He asks

Infuriated, Uloma begins to rattle obscenities in Igbo:

Kedunu nsogbu bu ihe a biko nu?

Hei! Nwa bekee emela m aru!

Chineke mu o!

Henri continues to apologize. He walks her to a spot away from much spectators as the following conversation ensues:

Young lady, I'm so sorry for ruining your books. Where can we replace the books? Which bookshop please?

Errrmmm, hmmm well, replacing them is the only way to remedy the situation. Let's go, I just bought them at Pushsim's place. The fourth shop on the road by your left. Together like two water-drenched birds they walk to the bookshop and purchase the books. Uloma thanks him for his kindness because it is hard to come by someone who admitted his mistake and quickly offer to remedy it.

Thank you for the replacement, the accident was not intentional, Uloma replies as she receives the books from the attendant at the bookshop.

My name is Henri, he offers her his complimentary card please let's stay in touch.

All right. A bientot, he says

A bientot, Uloma replies

Do you speak French? He asks her

Yes, I do though not so much.

All right then, he bids her farewell.

Fumes from the thatch roof of the domestic staff at the entrance of the estate repels Uloma as she walks home to narrate her ordeal to her family members. Papa, mama, Chinwe, Uzunma, and Okezie will be excited with my story she muses to herself.

Good afternoon Mr. Onyeka

Good afternoon, my daughter, Mr. Onyeka a resident in the estate replies to Uloma's greetings and continues to wash his car parked by the roadside. Residents with little or no parking space in their compound usually park on one side of the road to prevent causing traffic within the estate.

The swinging of the Venetian blind in the building opposite theirs as she enters her compound tells Uloma that she is being watched by her neighbours. It is common in these parts of the city; people tend to mope a lot.

Mama! Papa! Uzunma, Chinwe, Okezie where are you all? A chant of "yes" fills the air as they all respond from different parts of the house.

Hahahhahahahhahaha! They all laugh at the end of Uloma's narration of her accident with Henri.

My daughter her father calls her attention, you have to call him and thank him once again for being understanding. By the way, what was he doing in Mapina street with its bad road?

Yes, yes, yes! He must be the supervisor of the construction work in full swing on that road, Okezie adds.

Give me the card, I may make money from him through threatening him and asking for ransom when I kidnap him.

Not so my son, Mr. Mmanu replies

Do not give him any card Uloma.

Okay, papa, she replies.

Uloma dials Henri's phone number and on the third ring, he picks it

Hello,

Hello, I just want to thank you for the books once again.

You don't need to young lady, to show you are no longer angry with me will you do me the favour of coming to my company picnic on Saturday by 4 pm?

Well, I will check and get back to you, Uloma says

I will be waiting.

Weeks turned into months as Uloma and Henri get acquainted with each other. After the first picnic, Uloma attended a few other official and personal picnics with him at the beach.

Today, is one of the numerous picnics but he is running late; could he be busier than usual at work? She asks herself.

The road construction he was supervising at the point of their meeting is completed. I feel he should be a bit free from engagements at work.

Before she set off for this meeting her friends Amara and Ezinne teased her calling her "Nwunye nwa bekee" she warns them jokingly not to that they are just friends. My daughter in our place, before a woman is married, traditional marriage rite has to be completed. I know you are aware. Her mother chips in as she is in her bedroom eavesdropping on the conversation of the young ladies. She continues:

 There are four steps to it.

The first is Iju ase or Iku aka where the families of the man and the woman get to meet each other.

Next, is the traditional marriage proposal in the presence of the Umunna that is direct and extended family members. If accepted, the next step is initiated.

This is the Ime ego step also known as the dowry/ bride price payment. Here the groom's family presents the bride's family with gifts on the list they have been initially given for inspection and eventual acceptance.

Mama, they ladies echo in unison

Yes, finally, Igba nkwu nwaanyi that is the wine-carrying ceremony. This is the traditional wedding proper where friends are family cheer each other up.

Uloma you have to pass through all these stages to be certified married. I hope Nwa Bekee knows about this?

But, Mama he has not even asked for my hand in marriage?

Your friends must have heard things from you that made them think in that direction and call you "nwunye nwa bekee". I do not have anything against you marrying him all I say is that things should be done in the right way.

All right mama, I have heard your concern and will put it into consideration.

Allo mon amie! Henri's voice jolts her out of her thoughts

I am so sorry for keeping you waiting. We had an emergency meeting few minutes to when I wanted to leave for this place, kindly find a place in your heart to forgive me.

I was beginning to be skeptical of your safety, Uloma says

We are wrapping up our contracts in this region.

I can see that she replies

How about getting something to eat? Don't tell me you've been without anything since you came.

I had small chops and cocktail while waiting but it seems like I am getting hungry once again.

So, what will you love to have?

Waiter! He calls for the attendant in the seaside restaurant they were seated in.

After taking their orders, he retires to the rear to prepare their orders.

I have been thinking Uloma, what will become our relationship if I leave this region. I will miss your laughter and smile. What more your encouragement on the projects I run.

A day without a thought of you is like a wasted one. He kneels and brings out a small box from his pocket, "Will you marry me? He brings a beautiful ring from the box and moves it close to where she is. Uloma is not surprised because it was bound to happen but is amazed that she just had a discussion on this with her mum and friends before coming for this rendezvous.

Yes, I will marry you, she says.

He places the ring on her finger and hugs her tightly.

Excuse me, sir, the waiter returns with their orders and places it on their tables. They thank him and eat their food happily and for a while whispering sweet nothings to themselves at intervals.

It is two weeks after the proposal, Henri is to leave the region within a week so he arranges for a court marriage between him and Uloma.

Allo, Uloma dress fancy we are going somewhere tomorrow morning is all he tells her.

They are drive to the court where the wedding is to take place. In a few hours, they are pronounced "husband and wife".

This cannot happen! Mr. Eze – Uloma's father shouts.

The news of the marriage between his daughter and Henri Trouve the engineer is the talk of the town. Henri was admired and hoodwinked by several young ladies in the town but he chooses Uloma right from the day of their chance meeting.

What will my brothers and sisters say? That the city has robbed my children of their culture?

I forbid you to mention the name "Henri" in this house. He screams on her.

Come out of that room! I am talking to you. You cannot throw my name in the dust.

 You have shamed my family and abused I and your mother with this unwise decision of yours.

Papa, it was not intentional. I did not plan it with Henri, he surprised me and kept the arrangement away from me till we got to the location.

Whatever it may be, let him know you are going nowhere with him till he comes and fulfills our traditional marriage rites.

I told you about this Uloma, but you said you were just friends, now okwe agbago, you see?

If I were told you will do this, I will vouch you would not but see what has happened.

Well, the court can exercise their right over you two but our tradition stands, Henri or what do you call him must come and fulfill and marriage rites with his family. I do not know how he will do it but it must be done. Let me not hear his name in this house again. You will not step out of this house without a chaperone. Your mother will go everywhere you go with you till this is settled.

But papa, it was not an intentional act.

How will his family in Strasbourg be available for the traditional rites? There has to be a way around this.

There is none. All I know is that you are an unmarried lady and still under your parent's guidance no matter how old you are. Let your lover know that in Africa our customs and traditions are observed in the minutest detail. That is final!

Papa, I am sorry but we are now married in the eye of the law. I just have to find out how the situation can be remedied. Though I am not making any promises. Our love for each other supersedes any tradition or court order.

Evening of the same day, Uloma goes to pluck some oranges from the low branch of the tree by her window and secretly lets Henri know all that has been happening through a video call on Whatsapp.

Let's meet at the neem tree close to the grocery store on Kruwe street by 5:30 pm. I will be expected to buy bread for tomorrow's breakfast this evening.

All right, prepare to leave with me. We will be away for a while, Henri replies.

See you later, The call ends.

Henri sneaks to their agreed spot of meeting and from there they initiate their run to an unknown destination.

Mama Uloma! where is Uloma?

I sent her to buy bread at the grocery store down the street.

But I said she should not go anywhere without you. It has been three hours since she's gone. Do you realize that? She must have gone to see her lover remember she still has her cellphone to communicate with him. Hei! We made mistake not taking that phone away from her.

Haba! Papa Uloma, she is a grown lady, we cannot do that.

Let's wait for her return then.

It has been three years now, Uloma and the bread are nowhere to be seen and we are still waiting for her return.

September 03, 2020 15:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.