34 comments

Fantasy Funny Speculative

Modern Day Monsters

How to build a modern day monster inspired by Mary Shelley:

Believe misused power could destroy society.

Believe in the Gods, here is a chain of them:

Zeus: God of Sky, Weather and Fate. Call on him if questioning destiny.

Aphrodite: Goddess of Love, Passion and Beauty. She will find love for the loveless.

Poseidon: God of River, Seas and Earthquakes. Beware the Elements.

Artemis: Goddess of Wild Animals, Disease and Children. Call on her for animal attacks, disease attacks and child attacks.

Demeter: Goddess of Agriculture and Farm. Farmers call on her.

Barbatronus: God of Aging. Aging will happen with or without his help.

Minoscurus: God of grass types a cow eats. All cows should call on him..

Imbecilia: Goddess of Stupidity. Go to her with bad decisions. She can make them even more stupid.

Jarubadinka: Goddess of ridiculous names: Come to her at age ten when being relentlessly teased.

Gobarium: God of saying, “Go Bury 'em,” when asked what to do with corpses.

Hemalorus: God of Running out of toilet paper. Fear him.

Prometheus: God of Fire. Known for defying the Olympian gods by stealing fire from them and giving it to humanity in the form of technology, knowledge, and more generally, civilization...

This is a partial list including some of the lesser known deities. Acknowledgment must go to the genius of the acting troupe Studio C for portraying the unknown gods and goddesses numbers six through eleven mentioned above. Feel free to add more as necessary. They can also be beneficial when combined. Think Hemalorus following a run in with Imbecilia after eating Minoscurus's grasses.

Or a person can choose to rely solely on the one size fits all, omnipotent one true God, Yahweh. Like a loving Father guaranteed to show the Way, He'll have all one's needs covered and lead to an abundant life if they follow the Good Shepard through the narrow paths and dark shadows to green pastures and still waters. Trust in this three-sided omnipresent, all-knowing protector and the after-life is assured against raging demonic monsters. (Ignore the 'Ghost' in the third person. He is a friendly Spirit-type like Casper.)

Back to making Monsters more modern:

Borrowing from Prometheus, use technology and knowledge to fashion electronic boxes someone can talk into to control all facets of daily life. Give them names like 'Alexis' and 'Siri' with soothing, reassuring voices making them convincing it is fine to follow their instructions or that they are securely in control. But please stay awake behind the driving wheel of an automatically controlled automobile. All the bugs are not worked out one hundred percent yet.

If the small boxes are not aesthetically pleasing enough, use alchemy and other modern day advances to cobble together bits and pieces of titanium, steel and spare body parts to assemble a humanoid capable of realistic interaction to heighten the experience so Imbecilia's dominance is not felt. Be sure to include the enviable capacity of gaining knowledge through experience so the creation is evolving rapidly to become smarter than its creator.

Remember to take extensive notes so if the first model is wildly successful the effort can be duplicated and the result marketed to a wide audience eager to make their lives simpler by turning menial tasks such as thinking or writing for themselves over to automated initiative.

Once the recipe is perfected stand back to not impede its progress. Watch it work and pray to Yahweh (the only logical, intelligent choice) that it will not make humans obsolete.

This potential production could be referred to as a Progressive Pantheon. 'Progressive' because it is perpetually moving forward with little regard to what it may be doing to society as we have known and cultivated it. Replacing common sense supposedly for common good. Forsaking all balance for unattainable equality. 'Pantheon' because it has been granted a god-like characteristic of infallibility to it.

What could some of these Progressive Pantheons be like if married or merged?:

Plutus (wealth and abundance)/ Phoebe (intellect and prophecy) = Smart know-it-all that can predict how much good it will be. Plusbe.

Zelus (rivalry, jealousy, envy)/ Nemesis (revenge, retribution) = Green-eyed monster out to get even. Zelesis.

Momus (satire, mockery, criticism)/ Ananke (necessity, compulsion, inevitability) = Need to make fun of and criticize whatever one can inevitably mock and move on. Anamomk.

Coeus (inquisitive mind)/ Tyche (luck, fortune,chance) = Inquiring minds want to know but will chance a lucky future. Coetyc.

Deimos (fear, panic, terror)/ Achlys (misery, sadness) = Let's not even go there! Aach-Dielys.

What if evolution really were a thing and reincarnation was a possibility? Juries are still debating both issues. Could we evolve into smarter beings each time we came back through reincarnation having remembered all we knew in the previous life and adding to it continuously with each subsequent life? Or would we simply bore ourselves to death over and over again? If we can't humanly achieve this can we have our artificial intelligent beings reproduce and become smarter with more human-like characteristics with each generation? Something to think about and possibly develop. Or maybe not.

Please remember no matter what masterpiece crafted with the help of Aristaeus, God of Useful Arts, be mindful to include Elpis, Spirit of Hope, and Althea, Goddess of Healing and Compassion. That's even if someone happens to combine Eris, Goddess of Strife and Discord, with Chaos, God of the void from which the universe originated, and accidentally ended up with a Cat-aloneus that is determined to do what it wants and plans on ruling the world one day. (Maybe one dwells within already? Beware!)

The creation needs to be trained with patience and shown the love of Eros. Try to keep it from falling into the darkness of Erebus or the underworld of Hades. But bless it with gifts from Aphrodite so it is not hideous to look upon or easy to hate. Otherwise, the disastrous results of one Dr. Victor Frankenstein whose creation wound up killing a chain of the scientist's loved ones and finally his maker himself may be repeated unintentionally.

Overall, unleashing a modern day monster is a delicate operation that must be handled with expertise and understanding. The monster within may become the monster most feared controlling all of mankind.

September 15, 2023 00:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Amanda Lieser
01:55 Oct 20, 2023

Hi Mary, You brought up some really interesting ethical questions in the story, and I appreciate it all of the nods to the stories that have been told before. This will certainly an interesting take on the prompt, and I absolutely learn a thing or two. Nice work!!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:13 Oct 20, 2023

Thank you for such a nice comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
22:52 Sep 20, 2023

Mary— Fate has brought us together once again. I already liked this story but had a hard time adding anything that hasn’t already been said. Your sense of humor is so charming and I love mythology. I thought this was such a creative take on this prompt. Thank you for sharing with us!!!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:05 Sep 20, 2023

Thanks for the complimentary comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:11 Sep 20, 2023

I really enjoyed this Mary. We need to include original thinking in this mixed-up pantheon. Great way of expressing concerns for the way the future seems to be going. It could be seen as monstrous if it’s not for the true benefit of humans. I love your take on the prompt. Well done.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
08:01 Sep 20, 2023

Thanks for the kudos.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
22:41 Sep 19, 2023

Hey Mary, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your latest submission and loved its satirical sense of humour and playfulness. The ancients had really life figured out in many respects didn’t they? All we’ve done with the smouldering embers of Prometheus stolen fire is create godlike monsters that we’ve no idea how to control. It seems that modern civilisation’s new gods demand total adoration and blind faith in return for global annihilation. Maybe it’s divine retribution for Prometheus’s crime and we drew the short straw…. Well done. HH

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:08 Sep 20, 2023

High praise, indeed! Thank the gods.😏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
20:21 Sep 19, 2023

What a lovely blend of reseacrh, personal erudition and good humour! I liked the "pan out" sections, especially how they incorporated the gods, goddesses or other would be gods like Frankenstein. I can't decide which god I'm going to adopt into my pantheon first...actually I can: Imbicilia! I'm not going to google that but from right here it's a Mary Bendickson coinage and whenever I'm a right donkey's bottom I'll call on her to help me!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:06 Sep 20, 2023

I am the expert there😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
15:04 Sep 18, 2023

Artemis: Goddess of Wild Animals, Disease and Children. Call on her for animal attacks, disease attacks and child attacks. Hahahah I could hardly read the rest I was laughing so hard. You present this whole article with such wit and excellent pace. You make some excellent points about our world and the idols we build, grow and accept. There is real danger in mindless acceptance and your story highlights this with humour.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:37 Sep 18, 2023

High praise indeed from one whose writing I admire greatly 😄. Thank you 🙏 Michelle, maybe I should come right out and ask you if you are an editor and if so, would you consider editing my manuscript since you already have it. What are proper procedures for asking? I need to get on with publishing. Still contacting some of pros I met in Nashville. Know you are crazy busy. And crazy talented.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
21:59 Sep 18, 2023

I am not an editor, I have given feedback in a critique group, but by no means am I a professional.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
06:27 Sep 19, 2023

Thanks. You are always so good in your critiques I was guessing you might do it 'on the side'as if you aren't busy enough.😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
13:11 Sep 18, 2023

This was great — I learned AND laughed, but the summing-up was very apt for the frightening times in which we live. Well-done!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:17 Sep 18, 2023

Don't know about the learning. So much was made up. But thanks for the 👍. 😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
23:43 Sep 16, 2023

Wow! Mary, this was very funny and the writing was excellent. I really enjoyed your combinations of the old Greek Gods to create a new pantheon of more humorous or terrifying deities. I think Anamomk is my favorite. I love your allusions to the many idols in our lives, particularly the technological ones, that we blindly follow without equating this to the way older generations personified and worshipped important aspects of nature they watched closely with governing spirits. All-in-all a delightful read with some incredibly deep ideas ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chris Miller
23:32 Sep 16, 2023

Aha, a Progressive Pantheon. An Elegant Literature writer. Good luck in both competitions, Mary. You had me wondering about some of those gods' names...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:44 Sep 17, 2023

Takes one to know one.😏 Think I see that once in a while on here. Don't hold too much hope on either site with this one but thanks.😄

Reply

Chris Miller
18:49 Sep 17, 2023

Both tough ones. I'm especially struggling with the EL one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ralph Aldrich
16:32 Sep 16, 2023

Hi Mary I like your stories and would like to thank you for all your comments. i will not be entering anymore contest but will still post for free. thankk you once again, Ralph Aldrich

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:48 Sep 17, 2023

You have had some good ones. Sorry you won't be entering again. Hope all is well. Still follow you so I think I will see anything you put up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
12:44 Sep 16, 2023

I couldn't help but read this with a kind of future dystopian infomercial voice in my head, think when Arnie steps off the train in Mars in Total Recall and there is all the screens telling him what to do and how to behave. Was thoroughly enjoyable, playful, and even philosophical. Particularly like this one >> Barbatronus: God of Aging. Aging will happen with or without his help.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:53 Sep 16, 2023

Thanks for liking and commenting. Pick your slate of gods carefully. You'll need them to make your way through life.😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
01:16 Sep 16, 2023

Gods and monsters- both create and destroy/ or destroy then create. In this all depends on your perspective! Thanks!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:10 Sep 16, 2023

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:35 Sep 15, 2023

Whole time I was reading this, I was thinking of explosives. Yeah, there's useful everyday uses for them, but we also use them to blow people up. Seems like the question might not be "should we make it" so much as "who is making it, and why". Or maybe we're doomed to follow the cycle of creating something, taking it too far and messing up, and only afterwards figuring out where we went wrong and fixing it. After all, you don't earthquake-proof a skyscraper if one's never fallen down before. Though I fear, for the most part, our new digit...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:20 Sep 15, 2023

Thanks for enjoying and commenting 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
19:46 Sep 15, 2023

Mary, my favourite two: Imbecilia: Goddess of Stupidity. Go to her with bad decisions. She can make them even more stupid. Jarubadinka: Goddess of ridiculous names: Come to her at age ten when being relentlessly teased. But you're bang on with those and the monster within. Nicely done. LF6

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:18 Sep 15, 2023

Thanks for enjoying

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
11:08 Sep 15, 2023

Ha Ha! You got me at “Hemalorus: God of Running out of toilet paper. Fear him.” I cringe imagining the monsters He could creatith.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:50 Sep 15, 2023

Thanks for liking and commenting. I don't do monsters so great but have run ins with Hemalorius way too often.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
07:47 Sep 19, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:42 Sep 19, 2023

Thanks for your analysis.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.