THE DECEITFUL DESCENDANT

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write about someone who purposefully causes a power outage.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery Thriller Creative Nonfiction

“I DIDN’T MEAN TO KILL HER!” she said.

Sharron was the female heir to the Waldorf Crown. The Waldorfs were the corporate kings of the Atlantic City. Sharron’s brother, Adam was much rather a social worker and did not want anything to do with the family business. He was hitched to a simple girl from the suburbs named Chloe.

Sharron had always been an aspiring businesswoman. When all the other girls of her age were prepping up for their annual prom party, Sharron was busy working and studying day and night to acquire the best grades and get admitted to the Harvard University. She was well aware of the corporate world and had been eagerly learning about the different aspects of the stock market since she could remember.

It was not very long after she graduated business school, Sharron had drastically changed the fate of her father, Brad Waldorf’s company. She was soaring higher each day. Everything was working out pretty well for her. But her stars had different intentions.

In order to introduce her company to a much wider global market, Sharron decided to host a Society Gala and invited the top businessmen in the Financial Sector from across the globe. Little did she know that this glamorous gala of hers would turn into a Murder Site!

It was all over the television and newspapers and what not. “WAITRESS FOUND DEAD AT A HIGH SOCIETY GALA” ; “ MONEY CAN BUY EVERYTHING BUT CAN THE ARISTOCRATS BUY BACK A PERSON’S LIFE!?”

The waitress was killed in the midst of a power outage caused in the middle of Sharron’s high society Gala.

The FBI began its interrogation with all the people present at the gala as well as the possible “suspects”. The most important witness was without a doubt, Sharron Waldorf. As the host of the evening, Sharron was supposed to have knowledge of each and every doing that was happening in or around the site which was her manor. According to the facts, she was also the only person who could have had access to each and every spot of the manor at any time of the day.

“Miss Waldorf!” said a faint voice emerging from behind. A tall, dark and attractive man appeared. The FBI introduced him as the assigned detective for this case. “I am Kenneth Gerrard. I am here to scrutinise the murder site. Well I hope you don’t have anything to hide and if you do, I’d like you to come clean now and save our time.” “How dare this man point his sleazy finger at me that too in my house? You can bet that I don’t have anything to hide. I am squeaky clean!” said Sharron. “Relax Ms. Waldorf, I am just doing my job which is to get to the depth of this case.”, affirmed Gerrard. 

Brad Waldorf pulled Kenneth aside. Mr. Waldorf asked Kenneth on his professional opinion about the case. He said, “ I hope your investigation won’t alter my reputation in the business world.” to which Kenneth replied. “ Mr.Waldorf , with all due respect, a young life has been taken.At the moment, your reputation is at the bottom of my priority list.”

The next morning, The Waldorf manor was sealed with every little article around the house left untouched. The whole place was surrounded with crime scene investigators searching for any clue that would lead to what had actually happened the night of the murder. The Waldorfs were asked to provide the bureau with the security footage of every corner of the manor from the beginning of the Gala till the time of the cold blooded killing. With the help of the crime scene investigators, Gerrard concluded that the waitress was first strangled till she was unable to breathe ensuring nil possibilities of survival. The Waldorf family was escorted out of their manor in order to ensure that they don’t hinder with the investigation.

As Gerrard went through the footage, he noticed that most of the footage had already been deleted. Because of that he narrowed down the list of the final suspects to the members of the Waldorf family.

However, in the middle of the remaining footage, Gerrard saw something that gave him a sense of direction towards the case. A clue which pointed all fingers at Sharron. The waitress had spilled drinks on Sharron’s dress because of which Sharron yelled at her like a savage being. As the case became clearer by the second, another clue was about to come along the way.

As the FBI searched every inch of the manor, it became more and more difficult to come to a conclusion. The Waldorf family had their own armoury filled with machinery beyond imagination. Despite of that the victim was strangled to death. While going through Sharron’s room, the police discovered a gold chain. The chain was sent to forensics to recover any form of DNA possible. Ah the power of science!

The forensics confirmed two sets of fingerprints on the gold chain. One of which belonged to the victim while the other one belonged to the heir of the Waldorf family, Sharron Waldorf.

Sharron was taken into custody. At this moment, the only phrase she could get out of herself was a constant repetition of the words , “ I didn’t kill her”

For the first time in her life Sharron was feeling alone and helpless while Gerrard was being congratulated for solving yet another case. However he was uncertain that whether his victory is imprisoning the right person or not. Sharron may have been a self righteous human being but she seemed far from being a killer.

Gerrard decided to follow his instinct and began digging deeper into the mystery of this murder.

He started looking into the missing elements of the case. He called upon the murder weapon for re-investigation.

After staring at the chain for hours, Gerrard became frustrated and smashed the chain on the table somehow managing not to break it. At that very moment, his keen detective eyes saw something which had gone unnoticed all along. He noticed the initials of the owner of the chain. It was then he realised that Sharron was innocent and being framed all along. The real murderer was still out there and justice was left undone.

Once again, the bureau entered the Waldorf manor except this time they took the real culprit into custody.

It was Chloe, Adam’s wife and Sharron’s sister in law. Chloe was infuriated. She demanded an explanation. Gerrard said, “You almost managed to get away with it but we know you are the real culprit.” to which Chloe replied, “ with what proof?!”

Gerrard was more than happy to answer her question. He said, “Well firstly it was your gold chain that was used to strangle the victim in the first place. Despite your efforts to tamper with the evidence we managed to secure the missing footage with the help of our technical team.”

Chloe burst into ears. “I DIDN’T MEAN TO KILL HER!” she said.

On hearing that Adam forced his way through the door. Never had he ever expected his wife to be a killer. Chloe further stated, “I was proud of my husband for all the good he did for the world. However, I wanted more. I wanted to live like a princess in the Waldorf manor rather than some slum’s queen. With Sharron gone, Brad would’ve forced Adam to inherit the family business and be the heir of the Waldorf family. So i caused a power outage, which is why the footage was missing and managed to kill that poor waitress. I didn’t mean to kill her. She was just at the wrong place at the right time”

 Gerrard said, “ Well now that we have your confession, I think its safe to tell you that we never really recovered any deleted video. It was your greed that led you to this moment.”

Adam was shocked. He didn’t know what to say or do and so he simply left the room. Chloe went to prison for her crimes and justice was served.

September 07, 2020 15:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.