0 comments

Adventure Inspirational Fiction

“That’s the thing about this city. No police or laws! We get to do whatever we want!” 

Looking around, Adam quietly backed away from the open window. He had heard enough and had decided that he was going to leave the city. Stepping backwards Adam lost his footing. His arm swung violently trying to grab something but in vain! He fell hard on his back. 

“Who’s there?” a voice shouted. Curtains opened, and light poured outside. Soon flashlights followed, with heavy footsteps. Panicking, Adam looked around the dark alley. He was trapped with no place to run! 

Suddenly, a hand grabbed his shirt and Adam yelped and thrashed around trying to free himself. A hand clamped his mouth then he was half picked up, half dragged to a dark shadowy corner. He was thrown into a building through an open window. Landing on his stomach, Adam grunted. He turned around to see a dark shadow climbing in. 

Adam jumped to his feet, ignoring the pain he felt all over. “What do you want?” he demanded. “Shh..” a masculine voice replied. “The gang will be looking for you. Be quiet.” So many questions bubbled in Adam’s head but he decided it would be wise to stay quiet. 

“Come.” the man said. Holding Adam by the arm, the man led Adam through a doorway. They entered a small, dark room. Letting go of Adam’s arm, the man lit two candles that sat on a table in the middle of the room. For the first time, Adam could see the man and studied him in the dim light. He was a tall, middle aged man, broad-shouldered, with curly brown hair and kind eyes, but Adam immediately noticed that he held a gun in his hand. 

Adam backed away alarmed. The man wore a confused expression before he smiled and pocketed his weapon. “That isn’t for you.” Adam sighed, relieved - but he wasn’t ready to put down his guard. “Who are you?” he asked. Sitting down, the man motioned for Adam to take the seat facing him then said, “You will know all in its time.” 

After studying Adam for a few seconds he said, “Are you not Ali’s son?” Adam blinked, “Yess… I am. But how do you know?” 

“I have been following you for a couple days now. It took so long to track you down.” 

“Why… why were you doing that?”

The man sighed. “I will tell you what happened from the beginning. Your father and I were close friends. We were part of the same gang… and he was the leader.”

Wide eyed Adam looked at him in disbelief, “My father was a gang leader?”

The man nodded slowly, “Yes, he was.”

“But… But…” Adam spluttered.

The man interrupted, “Your mother probably chose not to tell you. Your father, Jack, was the leader and I was his right hand even though I was the youngest member. I was extremely loyal to your father as he was like a father to me. 

One day, your father was going to the bank. He stumbled and fell and his briefcase fell open. Hundred dollar bills flew out and fell everywhere. A man dressed in white robes and a white turban on his head -a Muslim- was walking past and kneeled down to help him. Your father counted the money and saw that the man had given him back every single bill. He was very effected by this and decided to reward him so he took out two hundred dollar bills and offered it to him as a gift of gratitude. I remember the look on your father’s face when he was telling me. The man didn’t even hesitate, he held up his hand and said, “I didn’t help you for a reward.” This only made your father admire the man even more. He met Brother Isa regularly and listened to his advise. I also met him and he had an excellent character. Slowly, your father began to change. His drug cabinet emptied and stayed like that, he stopped drinking, and became more of a friend than a leader. I liked the changes in him as he no longer shouted at me and controlled his anger.

One day, I was sitting with your father. He had gotten a job now, taking the advice of Brother Isa and no longer robbed like we used to. He turned to me and said, “John, I have found the truth. Tomorrow, I will go to Brother Isa and accept Islam.” I was shocked, but after thinking about it I realized that all those positive changes were because of Brother Isa. I went with him and saw him become a Muslim. First, he requested your father to take a purification bath, then he recited two phrases that sounded so beautiful. Just seeing that filled my heart with awe and I also asked to become a Muslim. After I recited the shahada -which is the phrase you recite to become a Muslim- Brother Isa invited us over and taught us how to live as Muslims. There was so much to learn. I tell you being born a Muslim is a blessing. You gradually learn things, but reverting to Islam is so beautiful. You get to see the beauty of Islam and you see the truth. Your previous sins are forgiven as if you are reborn. I felt so good after that. Whenever I was stressed I would sit down and lift my hands up in prayer to God. It would feel as if a huge burden was lifted off my shoulders.”

The man leaned back smiling. Then he looked at his watch. “It is getting late, I should get to the point. Brother Isa -who was the leader of Muslims in prayer at the big mosque- gave your father the name Ali and named me Yahya. A year later, your father married a pious Muslim woman.” 



“My mother.” murmured Adam.

“She was expecting when your father and I went on a trip and on our return trip your father saved my life by pushing me out of a stray bullets path but..” 

Yahya wiped his eyes and said, “But he got hit. May God have mercy on him. Breathing his last he made me promise to support his family and tend to the upbringing of his unborn child. Then I took him to the nearest mosque and there he was prepared for burial and prayed upon. Then he was buried. I returned to our city but I couldn’t find your mother or her family. I looked and searched for so long, and today fifteen years later I have finally found you.”

Adam said, “My mother told me that my grandparents were moving to another city and she went with them to help. There she found out about my father’s death, so she had no reason return.”

“Where is she now?”

“My mother?”

Yahya nodded.  

A lump grew in Adams throat as he replied, “She passed away… two years ago.” 

“I am sorry for your loss…” consoled Yahya, and after an awkward silence, “Where have you been living?”

“Well…” Adam replied. “I lived in our apartment for a couple months, but the rent was too high and the owner kicked me out.” Adam snorted, “Good thing he didn’t know how young I was, or else he would have sent me to the orphanage. A couple months later I came here, because it is the city my mother told me she used to live in as a child, but I couldn’t find a job. I have been here nearly a year and have been sleeping in the mosques.”

Yahya looked at him in the eye, “Your father saved my life and I owe him. Will you come and live with me?”

Quietly Adam replied, “I had just decided to leave the city because there are no police here, no order, no laws. I can’t bear to live here any longer.”

“All the better,” said Yahya. “I don’t live here any longer. I came looking for you.”

Suddenly loud noise was heard. Yahya jumped up to his feet, “We better get out of here.” He blew out the candles and exited the room. Adam followed him, and they ran through long, dark, passage ways, to a side door. Yahya tried it. It was locked!

Footsteps neared them and Yahya ordered Adam to stand behind him. Flashlights bobbed around and soon settled on them. Yahya took out his gun and pointed it ahead. Adam peered over Yahya’s shoulder and saw that five men surrounded them all pointing guns towards them. A big man stepped forward smiling sarcastically, “What do we have here?” 

Someone threw open a light switch. Adam blinked repeatedly trying to get used to the bright light. Eyes half closed Adam heard Yahya saying, “We were just leaving.”

“Aa ha.” The man dramatically snapped his fingers, “You were just leaving…” leaning close he continued, “My territory, and you entered without permission?” 

Ignoring him Yahya said, “Cut it out William.” The man’s eyes widened and he looked shocked, “How do you know my real name?”

Yahya continued, “I also know your title, ‘The Dagger’.” 

William clutched his gun tighter, “Who are you?”

Sarcastically Yahya continued, “I can’t believe it! You forgot me! I was your best friend, I was the closest to you, and I was your secret keeper. How could you have forgotten me?”

Willam squinted staring at Yahya in disbelief, “John?!” 

Yahya nodded, “Yes William, it is me.” 

“But..But…” William spluttered than said, “I thought you left.”

-“That I did. Now can I lower my gun?”

William turned to his men, “He is a friend. Lower your arms.” Then turning towards Yahya, “What made you return?”

Yahya took a step sideways so that Adam was visible to them, “Because of him. Son of our late leader. Leader of the Thunder Wolves.”

William’s jaw dropped, “He is Jack’s son?! I didn’t even know he had a son.” Then to Adam he said, “Our leader’s son is always welcome amongst us.”

Uncertainly Adam glanced at Yahya before replying, “Uh.. uh… Thanks.” 

Placing a hand on Adam’s shoulder Yahya said, “Now will you let us go? We have to leave the city tomorrow morning.”

William stepped forward, “John do you really think I will just let you leave like that? You are a strong man and I need you.”

“What? Are you serious? I changed my ways and accepted Islam. I swear by my lord I will not go back to my old ways.”

“Come on John. Only for a while.” 

Doubt filled Yahya. How would he be able to convince William to let him go? Reasoning with him would not bring any benefit. 

After a minute of silence Yahya said, “I will stay with you for the night and decide in the morning.”

William smiled, “Great. Glad you chose the easy way. Now let’s head to the dining room. I am starving.”

Walking back the long passages Adam couldn’t believe it. He was to spend a night with a gang who lived off unlawful incomes. He sat next to Yahya on the dining table and twice tried to whisper something to him but Yahya silenced him with a frown.

Soon platters of food were brought by two women. From their conversations Adam understood that they were also part of the gang. They took their seats as well and everyone started eating. Everyone except Yahya and Adam. It was not right to eat from this food as it was bought from stolen money. 

Feeling disgusted, Adam tried not watch as the gang members ate with no manners at all. They chewed with their mouths open, talked with food in their mouth, and slurped loudly.

Finally after what seemed like forever Adam and Yahya were shown to a room. Yahya took out some dates from an inside pocket and gave them to Adam. “Here you go, you can eat this.”

After they both ate, Yahya suddenly tiptoed to the door and opened it suddenly. The passageway was empty. He closed the door again and turned to Adam who was looking at him with astonishment, “Just making sure no one is eavesdropping on us.”

Suddenly he stopped and pointed to a air duct. Taking a notebook and pen out he continued, “But no one is there. Now let’s get some sleep.”

“Wait.” Adam protested before clamping his hand on his mouth. He watched as Yahya wrote. 

We have to escape. 

-How? Adam wrote. 

We will just have to sneak out a window.

-When? 

Before dawn is the best time.

-Ok 

Also, do you know that William didn’t actually mean that you are always welcome?

-Idk. I didn’t really give it much thought  

You should get some sleep now.

-Ok 

Adam laid down on his side with a heavy heart. I wonder how we will escape from here. He read his prayers silently, then tried to sleep. But he couldn’t. He tossed and turned. Suddenly his eyes opened and Yahya was shaking him. 

“It’s time to leave.” whispered Yahya. Adam sat up with a jerk. He stood up and followed Yahya out the bedroom door and through long passageways. Adam’s heart pounded every time he stepped on a creaking floorboard. Suddenly Adam looked up and realized he could see Yahya. He looked ahead and saw light. Fear gripped him. Was someone there?

As they inched ahead silently Adam soon realized that it was light from the dining room. They could hear loud laughing and talking from there. Adam stopped but Yahya motioned to him to continue. They stopped right before the doorway and Yahya looked in.

The smell of wine was overpowering. Some of the gang members were sitting around the dining table and playing cards while drinking. Asking God to protect them Yahya and Adam walked pass the doorway. Drunk as they were and playing no one noticed two shadows slipping past. Almost no one.

Climbing out of the window Adam let out a breath he didn’t realize he was holding. “May God reward you.” he said to Yahya. “And you too.” Yahya replied. 

They walked out of the alley but suddenly a shadow blocked their way. “Not so fast John.” 

Yahya’s hand went to his pocket and he lifted his gun. “William?” 

William stepped out of the shadows with two men, “Yes, John. You thought you could outsmart me?”

“My name is Yahya.” replied Yahya calmly. He took out his cellphone with his other hand and handed it to Adam. “Call Brother Isa.”he whispered. 

Adam did as he was told with trembling fingers and put it on speaker. In two rings Brother Isa picked up the call and said, “Assalamu Alaikum (Peace be upon you). Yahya, are you okay?”

Adam looked at Yahya wondering if he should reply. As if reading his thoughts Yahya replied still looking at William and his men who were closing the circle around them, “Tell him we are in an alley behind Park Avenue and a gang is giving us trouble.” 

Swallowing Adam replied, “Wa Alaikum Assalam. (Peace be upon you too) Brother Isa, Yahya is all right but we are surrounded by a gang in an alley behind Park Avenue.”

“Ok. We will be on our way.” 

Yahya took a step back and Adam did as well. Slowly they retreated until their backs were against a building. William was still coming closer, “Give up John. You don’t stand a chance against us. You are out numbered.”

Yahya smiled forcefully, “I do not like giving up so easily. You might remember that.”

Adam realized Yahya was trying to buy them time. Only a couple of minutes and help should be here. 

To Adam’s horror William had grown tired. He took a step towards them and threatened, “Ok John, either you throw down your weapon or we start shooting. I am warning you. You only have one gun and we are three with guns.”

Yahya threw down his gun realizing William was right. “Good thinking.” jeered William. “Now we will tie your hands. Don’t move!”

Suddenly a black Jeep turned into the alley behind William. William and his men jumped out of the way just in time as it sped towards Yahya and Adam.

Adam watched in amazement, as Yahya picked up his gun, opened the car door and swiftly jumped in, then pulled him inside, just as a bullet from William’s gun wizzed past.

As they drove away Adam leaned back in his seat tired. So much had happened in the past nine hours that would change his life. He closed his eyes, but forcefully opened them as he heard Brother Isa talking, “You should stay here Yahya. There are no laws but we have to help all the innocent people living here who are under the unjust rule of these gangs. We have to gather people to stand up against them and bring them to justice.”

Yahya looked at Adam, who nodded his head in agreement, so he replied, “Yes, Brother Isa. That is a noble plan. Adam and I will help.”

Adam smiled and closed his eyes once again. He still had a lot that he wanted to know, but for now sleep got the better of him. 

March 19, 2021 15:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.