Whimsy and the Missing Chair

Submitted into Contest #176 in response to: Write a story told from the point of view of an animal.... view prompt

26 comments

Funny Contemporary Urban Fantasy

The point is that I enjoyed sitting on the chair.

I enjoyed it and I don’t get to enjoy many things in this life--or any of the other eight, for that matter. Nature has made me the greatest predator on the planet only to place me in a tiny body from which I can do no real harm to anyone other than a mouse. The last time we had a mouse, I wasn’t even allowed to chase it. Patricia caught it in a shoebox and then made a comment to Hudson that if he didn’t leave food lying around all over the place, we wouldn’t have an infestation.

I wish I could have encouraged Hudson to leave out food. That would have kept my hunting skills sharp. I would enjoy taking down at least one mouse a day. Instead, I feel bloated and ineffective. I sit on a chair and look out the window at birds I’m also not allowed to murder. The entire world is full of things I should be allowed to kill, but can’t, because I have (allegedly) been domesticated by Patricia and Hudson.

But at least I had the chair.

Was it comfortable?

Not really.

But it was mine.

It was one thing that belonged to me in this unfortunate house. Hudson bought the chair (without consulting Patricia) from a yard sale at what he believed was a deal, but what Patricia believed was some kind of scheme to unload a bunch of disgusting furniture onto unassuming husbands like hers. Hudson’s plan was to sit in the chair and watch his spaceship movies, but I had other ideas. Something about the chair appealed to me. Perhaps it was the faded scent of an alpha male. Perhaps it was the stain on the left arm of the chair that looked somewhat like a sparrow. Who can say? I only knew that the chair should belong to me.

Such as it is in the wild, so it must be in the living room. Assert dominance. When Hudson attempted to sit in the chair, I swiped at him. He jumped back. I arched my back. Prepared for a fight. I was not a swiper. Though I had murderous rage running through my being at all times, I had rarely attacked in such a way. Hudson called out to Patricia.

“Is something wrong with Whimsy? She just tried to scratch me when I went to sit in my chair.”

His chair?  It was not his chair. His purchase did not entitle him to ownership. I was a resident in this house as well. I was a pristine feline bestowed with keen reflexes and adorable ears. I was owed a throne upon which to sit. Hudson could keep sitting on the couch that he and Patricia bought together when they first moved into this house and furnished it together as a loving couple.

Now, they were chilly towards one another. Patricia would eat her yogurt over the kitchen sink instead of at the dining room table with Hudson the way she used to. She stays later at work. Hudson doesn’t rub her shoulders like he used to when he walks by her sitting down at her desk in the home office. She doesn’t make the paella he loves. He doesn’t call her “Bop Bop” which was an inane nickname he had given her years before they adopted me.

I was a birthday present. Patricia loved me. She loved Hudson. Hudson loved her. I detested both of them, but they didn’t know that. All was well for everyone, but me.

Then, the chair disappeared.

You might argue that I should have noticed Hudson’s disappearance first. That would be a reasonable assumption. The trouble is, he and Patricia were avoiding each other so much that neither of them was around all that often in the weeks leading up to the disappearance of my chair.

Oh sure, they would come home from work, fight about something insignificant, heat up leftover pizza in the microwave, and then retire to separate rooms, but that evolved into Patricia staying out later and later with friends from work, which led to Hudson staying at his brother’s house more and more, which led to me wondering if either of them would one day forget to leave enough food in my bowl thereby bringing out the demise of the only thing either of them claimed to truly love.

This is why humans should only be in charge of dogs. Cats require a higher level of maintenance. Dogs just need to be squealed at like a baby in between frisbee throws. I require attention. I require attendance. I require effort.

Patricia and Hudson were checked out.

The day the chair went missing, I could hear Patricia crying in her room. I thought she was crying because now I didn’t have a place to sit. Good, I thought, you should cry. Some thief has stolen in here whilst we were all sleeping and confiscated my beloved chair! Do something, Patricia. Call the police!  Or have Hudson call them. Have him…

That’s when it occurred to me.

Hudson’s coat was not on the rack by the door. His shoes were not in their usual spot. I couldn’t detect that foul cologne he insists on wearing permeating the air.

Hudson was…gone.

And he had taken my chair.

I sat with my grief for a bit. That chair and I were as one. We were a spider and its web. A duck and its pond. A litter and its box. How would I live without it?

Moments of sorrow often necessitate going inward, but I remembered a program Hudson enjoyed watching (some rare non-spaceship content) all about this huckster who conned hundreds of people into selling diet lemonade. I remember the huckster saying that when you’re at your lowest, you should try and find somebody else even lower to you to lift up.

(This was before he was indicted and the diet lemonade was revealed to be store-bought apple juice.)

I took his words to heart and made my way into the bedroom where Patricia was oh so gently weeping whilst sitting on the edge of her bed. She was holding one of Hudson’s sweaters. He must have left it behind. I could smell the malodorous cologne even from the doorway. It made me want to keep my distance, but I soldiered on.

Up against Patricia’s legs I brushed, thereby letting her know that I was available to comfort her in her hour of need despite my own crushing loss over my poor chair. She was surprised at my behavior. I had never shown much affection for her or Hudson. With (wise) trepidation, she scooped me up and held me in her arms. Her nose pressed down onto the top of my head. She rocked back and forth with me as though I were an infant suffering from colic.

“It’s okay, Whimsy,” she said, her tears wetting the tips of my ears, “We’re going to be okay.”

I didn’t believe her. Not that it mattered. 

After all, it was more important that she believed it.

For a cat, it’s not that simple.

We always know better.

December 09, 2022 21:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Edward Latham
23:48 Dec 19, 2022

I felt the self-righteousness, the self-importance and the pride of the cat all oozing through in this one! A very believable capture of what a cat might be thinking! And an enjoyably story thread too as you showed the breakdown of the couples relationship!

Reply

Story Time
23:54 Dec 19, 2022

Thank you so much, Edward.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
21:58 Dec 18, 2022

I love the way you portrayed Whimsy. Seems exactly how a cat might feel in such a situation. I thought you portrayed the breakdown of the couple’s relationship well. Whimsy obviously loves the chair and feels lost without it. A clever cat, she finds a way. An enjoyable read.

Reply

Story Time
04:24 Dec 19, 2022

Thank you so much, Helen. I've written about friendlier cats in the past, so it was nice to work with one a little more surly.

Reply

Helen A Smith
08:04 Dec 19, 2022

I can imagine. They are certainly fascinating creatures. If you feel like reading about a cat, I’ve written one in Black Cat Queen

Reply

Show 0 replies
Story Time
17:18 Dec 19, 2022

I'll have to check it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
17:28 Jan 10, 2023

Hi Kevin! Oh I am a total cat person and this story simply solidified Al l the reasons why. I loved the way you built the tragedy in this story-the chair! Oh, and the poor humans. ;) my favorite line was right in the beginning: But it was mine. Although, honorary mentioned to that bit about Hudson buying the chair and not owning it. I do love how accommodating us humans are to our feline friends. Nice job!

Reply

Story Time
17:46 Jan 10, 2023

I love the cat people showing up in solidarity for me :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen Spencer
01:55 Dec 23, 2022

I like how you use "The Chair" to the cat's sense of self and life around him and the people who he lives with. It's nice to see how he shows empathy towards the female, that owns him. They have both lost something or someone they love, in their aloneness they are not alone, but together. Beautiful.

Reply

Story Time
17:09 Dec 23, 2022

Thank you so much, Kathleen. It was nice spending time in his head for a bit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
05:47 Dec 21, 2022

I like! So far each animal p.o.v. Story has been great. The imperiousness of Whimsy is such that every Cat displays. Sad for the loss of Whimsy’s throne. Each Cat of course deserves such a noble perch. Keep up the good work/storytelling

Reply

Story Time
17:27 Dec 21, 2022

Thank you so much, John.

Reply

John Del Rio
17:50 Dec 21, 2022

I would recommend reading more of the animal p.o.v. stories from reedsy this week. I have read half a dozen of them, and have enjoyed them all

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
06:17 Dec 18, 2022

Cats are vicious predators, but cute too! I am just surprised Whimsy has not scratched the remaining furniture in protest!

Reply

Story Time
04:25 Dec 19, 2022

Who knows? Maybe Whimsy will in the sequel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
02:26 Dec 13, 2022

This is a great story! Unless you are Whimsy, Patricia or Hudson. I thought the writing was excellent. LF6

Reply

Story Time
17:56 Dec 13, 2022

Thank you so much, Lily. I'm partial to cats and other animals.

Reply

Lily Finch
22:44 Dec 13, 2022

Well, it shows.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
21:10 Dec 09, 2022

Loved this!

Reply

Story Time
03:35 Dec 11, 2022

Thank you, Wendy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eileen Turner
23:03 Dec 23, 2022

I rescue the mice like Particia does. Cats really do know how to show their disgust. Truly good story. Sad ending, but rather true.

Reply

Story Time
01:33 Dec 24, 2022

Thank you, Eileen. I appreciate you reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Palmer
23:44 Dec 22, 2022

I liked reading this point of view from a cat! I was told once by a friend that cats tend to bond to the behavior of their owner, and not so much the owner themselves. We have a family cat named Raven, but she is my son's cat. My son is quiet, introverted, and is a teenager so he keeps to his room. She prefers his company over everybody else, and will scratch us if we make too much noise! It was great to also read how Whimsy saw the world change. I really liked the detail you added about Whimsy's smalls and behavior towards it all, just as ...

Reply

Story Time
17:08 Dec 23, 2022

Thank you so much, Laurel. That fact about bonding to the behavior is so interesting. It explains why all my cats were writers ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:44 Dec 13, 2022

Ha, an excellent cat narrator :) The discontent, arrogance, thinly-veiled malice, and manipulation - all great. And of course, the sorrow at the indignity of the mediocre chair's loss. Whimsy doesn't have control over much of her life, something that's poignant now in her advanced age. She doesn't get attention and is an afterthought, and her life is no longer about what she will get, but what she will lose next. She's a cat, but she's also a metaphor for aging and seniors, and an unfulfilled life of regrets. So yeah, there's a sad sid...

Reply

Story Time
17:16 Dec 14, 2022

Thank you so much, Michal. Anytime I get to inhabit a cat's mind for a bit, I seize the opportunity.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.