0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Science Fiction

Mohamad, an emaciated, desolate and kneeling man. Waiting for humanity to become extinct. The last one standing, alone, with an extremely powerful blizzard in front, in the middle of a deserted cabin among the mountains surrounded by snow.


An avalanche passed over the cabin days ago. The surroundings are full of white dust that the lonely man tries to release in order to get out and no longer feel that claustrophobia that involves living locked up, without help. He knows it, he recognizes that there is no one else alive in the world. That apocalyptic end was not expected by the most conspiratorial being in the universe. One survivor in billions. He is undoubtedly special. How do you know? When the earth is empty, it is palpable. Not the slightest howl of a wolf or the singing of birds. Nothing. A deathly silence that snatches all hope of life. Finally, he manages to displace the disaster and the door is free to leave. Those zero degrees Celsius does not matter much to him because he has nothing to lose, and nothing to gain either.


The survivor's eyes suddenly widen. Perplexed, stunned and trembling body. A miracle is presented in front of him. Open arms of a being in a ski mask that, without resentment, runs in terror, imprisoned by fear and the incessant cold, and offers a comforting hug to that one, the apparent last survivor.

— Who are you? — asked Mohamad.

—I don't know, but I'm glad I'm not alone — says the young man with a trembling voice. Both enter to rest from the low temperatures. Mohamad at that moment understood that two was better than one. He feels much more secure now, knowing that the gloomy loneliness is no longer a part of his life. The company of someone you don't know is an unrivaled accolade. Both get to work, and prepare to make an expedition, in search of more survivors.


The side of the snowy mountain is more beautiful once you see it in total solitude. The Survivors thought as they climbed with the meager strength their muscles gave off, their boots stuck in the mud and hail brushing their faces.

— Starving. — Says the young man who met Mohamad minutes before. He is relieved that he is not the only one. There have to be more people out there.

— How did you resist so long? — Mohamad asks with his white beard shivering from the low temperatures as they both slowly walk aimlessly.

—I don't know ... — says the young man. An answer that left Mohamad with a bad taste in his mouth.

— What is your name? Don't tell me you don't know.

— You'd be surprised, sir.

— You don't you know your name?

— No.

— So what the hell do you know? —

Head down, the thin guy continues on his way being part of his uselessness. They arrive to a frozen lake with crystal-laden trees all around it. Just by looking closely at the water, they could see how frozen it is

— Come on, let's go sideways — says Mohamad. The young man does not move. — What are you waiting for? The sun is setting. — he insists. The boy places his pale feet in the icy water, before Mohamad's stunned gaze.

— You're one of the bloody lucky ones to survive an apocalypse, and do you want to die now? Look, the water, there is smoke everywhere.

— I do not feel anything. — says the boy.

— What?

— I do not feel anything. — he repeats. He dives deep into the lake and begin to swim. Mohamad can't understand what he is observing. Glanced up.

— Am I already dead? Is this paradise?

The head come out like a needle in a haystack. The boy's hair was damp and sparkling more than ever.

— Get in the water! — He exclaims to Mohamad. He hesitates.

— Tss, stay there. Do not go out. I will follow.

— Get in the fucking water! — yells the boy, who in a matter of seconds between his hands get a fish the size of his body.

— Give me that fucking fish! — he exclaims and run to the shore, threatening to jump, but still imprisoned by the fear of dying of hypothermia.

— Go on, cunt!

Mohamad jumps. The water is not part of the rest of the environment. It is an unstoppable shield that moves away from the coldness outside. It is placidly warm. The bearded man can't believe it.

— What the hell did you do? — he asks

— I do not know!

— Then what the hell do you know!? — Mohamad lunged forwards, and they both frolicked in the water for the huge fish. A relief in the midst of the catastrophe.

—Can you get another one? I don't know why I'm asking at this point.

— I think so!

Sharks, dolphins, fins. Figures Mohamad had not seen for a long time. Everything is peaceful, there is no danger.

— A fucking whale! — Mohamad shouts when he sees at his side an orca approaching like a cat. It does not hurt.

— Let's get out of here. I want to eat.

— We won't eat.

— What the hell are you saying?

— We won't eat.

— I heard you! Why won't we eat?

— These beings are our friends.

— Are you kidding me?

The young man dives into the water and swims in perfect sync with those he calls "friends." Sea creatures that in natural circumstances would probably have eaten them in seconds. He resurfaces with something in hand.

— Algae! — he exclaimed.

— Whatever, give me that crap. —Mohamad found nutrients in that nature that he considered ruthless until a few hours ago. He looked at the young man and wondered mentally who his companion really was, and why he survived the apocalypse. A reason to understand why they were chosen.

For now, he only peacefully acknowledges that he has the power of water and sea creatures on his side, and a strange fellow adventurer who are probably most likely to cause him more than a nuisance along the winding path to discover the truth of their aparent loneliness.



May 28, 2021 18:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.