3 comments

Science Fiction Drama Thriller

"You're kidding." He said, looking to the little girl in front of him. "Who do I look like?"

"You look like a guy I'm learning about in history, his name was Cleo Thompson." She smiled as she ate on the candy in her hand. He had never seen that brand before, whenever she closed her mouth a light went off inside a second after.

Cleo didn't have enough time to ask, maybe later.

"And what did he do?" His eyebrows were drawn tight with concern. What had he done to warrant being taught to children? His insides bunched up as his mind started to swirl with thought.

"What if I'm the new Christopher Columbus?" Was one of his main fears. People were taught a watered-down version of the truth, which was the man had never set foot on American soil and blood-thirsty.

The little girl smiled, her eyes giving off a threatening vibe that did not pass his internal checks. He may be a full-grown man, but he was not going to win a fight against a little girl. Mainly because she knew the terrain and he could barely hold a candle without melting his handoff.

"You were the first person to ever time travel." The little girl's smile was definitely evil now. "You're told to us as a warning story because of what happens to you after."

The little girl giggled before turning around and sprinting off. Cleo was trying very hard not to cry and lay down in the street in the new and unfamiliar world. 

With that thought, the man was bolting down the darkening streets, trying to run from the setting sun. Any moment he would see someone in the distance, they took one look at him, smiled, and would walk away. 

No. Nope, this is not happening to him. He's just a broke college student trying to get credit hours, he did not sign up for this. 

He's getting an English degree and they recommended him this stupid science internship that no one else wanted and he couldn't understand what the people were saying so he just said yes. Then they said more sciency words while bring pushed into the stupid machine and then he woke up an in alley where a little girl was there eating explosive candy and staring at him like he was the best part of her day.

Maybe he was in an episode of Black Mirror. Yea, yes, that was the likely conclusion. This was an elaborate prank by a film studio, nothing new, he can handle this.

He slowed to a stop, a little too winded for the distance he ran, and let the darkness slowly creep up his waste. He slowed his breathing with clam thoughts.

"You're fine, this is fine. You've gone through worse, nothing's going to happ-" there was a loud bang in the middle of his reassurances. He whipped around to see two big bloody-looking eyes staring at him.

"No, no this is not happening. I'm done, the proceedings that are happening have to stop, it has grown too much for my fragile mental state." He rambled as the creature crept ever closer. He stuck a finger up and wagged it while his voice grew mad.

"No, good fellow, I have said no. Consent is key to all things and you have none. So, please go to your friends because I'm quite sure they will find more pleasure from your presence than I have." The mole in question blinked its red eyes at the man before plopping down on the sidewalk in front of him.

Cleo stood there for a few minutes watching the mole look up at him, it looked like an overgrown puppy. Before the man could stop himself, he started petting the overgrown beast on the head. It rumbled with purrs.

"You're so sweet. You would never hurt a fly, would you? And I was all afraid of you, but you're just a big softy." Cleo said to the mole, sounding as if he were talking to a baby.

The mole got up from its spot on the ground and started to walk away. Cleo's heart sank, maybe he just had an itch? Maybe the man had meant nothing to the mole? Then the beast in question turned around and waited for the crying human to follow, which he happily did.

"Are we best friends? I feel like we have a real connection. That girl was just pulling my leg, how can anything bad happen to me when I have my new friend with me?" The little human droned on, chirping about and holding the mole's fur as the darkness became more and more pungent.

"Where are you taking me? Are we going to see your family, I would love to meet them! Would that make this friendship official? Am I being accepted into your family!" He babbled as the dark walls around them let up and hundreds of moles turned to look at them.

"EEHHHhhhh!" The human screamed, sounding like an excited child. He did a little jump and started thanking the mole for being a friend. 

He was then directed to a large circle on the ground and was pointed to lay down in the middle. From his vantage point on the floor, he could see people on high shelves on top of the caves, it was he and the moles were in a pit.

"Are they your other friends? Heey, I'm Cleo. It's very nice of you to accept." He tried to talk to the people up high, but they just laughed at his antics.

He turned to look at the people in the closets shelf to him and saw the little girl and her excited eyes. His eyebrows furrowed in thought before a question fell from his lips.

"Who am I to you?" He asked the little girl, and she smiled her wicked little smile.

"You're the first person to ever turn into a mole. No one knows where they come from, back in your time, but people here have traced all these back to you. You destroyed everything when you're sent back, but the people who survived rebuilt and are know happier than ever." She said calmly. Her little voice somehow reaching him from down here. 

His eyes wandered to his friend, who shrugged and started getting him ready for the ritual. Moles where biologically set to make other people moles, and if there's even one of them alive than humanity as it is known will die.

Cleo didn't know how to feel, he was the one who destroyed humanity as they know it? He was the one who did all of this destruction? He looked back to the little girl's face, which was stretched in her usual evil grin.

"You're a fool." Her voice shook him, she delighted to see him fall, delighted to watch history unfold. To watch her people come out on top.

"Yea, I always have been." His smile made her eyebrows furrow in. Her face was the last thing he saw before white overtook his vision and his laugh echoed in the taverns.

From everyone else's eyes, it was just a normal mole transformation, but Cleo's anguish was welling up inside him. Of course, it was all his fault, he had always been a screw-up but he didn't realize he could doom the entire human race.

The scientist set up a little system because they couldn't track him through time. After four hours in the future, he would be automatically be brought back to his time. And when he was brought back, he would start turning humans.

The new mole opened his eyes and looked at the survivors of his apparent world destruction, only a few caught on to who he was. Tears started to fall from his face as he saw children, families, elders, and every person he could possibly imagine watching people lose their humanity. 

Anger welled up in his throat and he roared to the terrible people in front of him, he wished they would all die.

With a pop, what was left of Theo was sent right back from whence he came, right into a lab full of people.

September 02, 2020 00:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

00:49 Sep 02, 2020

Wow! This was...WOW! Such an amazing story...it was a veeery interesting take on the prompt! The ending was really good, wrapping everything up nice and neat but letting the reader keep imagining. Keep writing!

Reply

Emilie Stokes
00:17 Sep 04, 2020

Thank you so much for reading! I'm so glad you liked it. I started writing this without a real goal in mind and it got a little weird, but I had a lot of fun writing it!

Reply

00:29 Sep 04, 2020

No problem! Hehe, nice! Also, just wondering if you would mind checking out my new story??? I posted it a couple hours ago. If so, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.