Contest #136 winner 🏆

245 comments

Romance Sad Funny

This story contains sensitive content

I remember our first cigarettes together were Rothmans, middle tar, with a filter, of course. It was ten o’clock on a Saturday night and we were attending a local church’s youth club disco. I recall that she’d gone outside for a breath of air.

God, I could do with a gasper, she’d said, avoiding my gaze, as if we were on stage and I’d forgotten my lines while searching for a prop. 

I groped around inside my jacket for my pack of Rothmans. My awkward fumbling attracted her attention, and she smiled as I raised my head. She moved closer and caught my eye as I flipped the lid to reveal a double row of cigarettes, lined up like coffin nails wrapped in silver paper. 

Do you have the convenience of a light? She’d asked, helping herself.

No, I don’t, I said, clenching a cigarette between my lips, and turning my pockets inside out to show my lack of a handy incendiary.

Typical, she said, rolling her eyes and leaning towards me.

My jaw all but fell open as she raised her slender hand toward my face.

Never mind, she said, I’ll improvise. Her out-stretched thumb and forefinger plucked the smouldering cigarette from my dry lips. The manoeuvre was gentle but precise and practiced, as if she was removing a milk tooth from under a sleeping infant’s pillow. Her studied gesture was one of ritual, full of expectation, belief and mystery. She was both a nocturnal light-fingered fairy with a delicate touch, and a kind spirit exchanging a child’s fang for a silver sixpence. My cigarette, now resting between my lips again, took on an unearthly quality, blessed by her soft caress. I watched her drawing the smoke into her lungs. The world stopped spinning, and I felt dizzy, waiting for her to exhale. 

I needed that; she said, allowing the white plume to drift over her shoulder. 

I’m Virginia, by the way.

I returned her smile as my face blanched, the smoke having gone down the wrong way.

Don’t forget to breathe out, she said, grinning, or you’ll die coughing. 

At that moment, I was hooked.

#

I’ve given up smoking a thousand times; it’s easy. No, really, it is, I promise. It’s a question of perseverance; I don’t mind and they don’t matter. That’s what they say, isn’t it? In the past, I stopped smoking for days, and often as long as a week. When we were young, there was no reason to cease. Besides, after years of dedication, it was easier to continue than to quit.

#

When Virginia died, I was bereft. She made me promise to quit when I was by her bedside. I visited her in hospital and she had tubes everywhere and an oxygen mask, which she removed from time to time to have a quick puff. She’d insist on me pushing her wheelchair outside for a breath of fresh air. Once we were away from the matron’s watchful glare, she’d rifle through my pockets, spark up and have a good wheeze and cough. Virginia smoked until the last few hours of her life. She was ever faithful to the pleasure that killed her. We’d had fifty years of marriage, golden years and many, many happy times and no regrets.

#

I’d never smoked much before I met Virginia; well not every day, anyway. All my pals smoked, and I’d tried it with little success. They told me it was what adults did and I ought to try harder. I persevered until I reckoned I’d got the hang of it. 

#

‘Gaspers’, she used to call them. Can I nick a gasper? she’d ask, when we got to know one another. She smoked Benson and Hedges and I soon changed my allegiance. It was easier if we both smoked the same brand.

#

The night we met, I’d marched into a local tobacconist clutching the correct money in coins and asked for a pack of twenty. It was my first packet of twenty and I only bought them to feel grown up. I didn’t even have money for a lighter. I had to ask someone for a match to light the one I was holding when she spoke to me. Virginia had caught my eye about town and I’d seen her smoking. I thought I could impress her if I smoked too. If she encouraged me to smoke in the first place, it seemed fitting that she should ask me to stop after her departure.

#

While sharing a cigarette, we fixed all our problems together. Whatever came our way, we would fight it until the end. We were invincible as a couple and inseparable too; a match made in heaven. Virginia and I laughed our way through life’s troubles. We never argued until we tried to give up smoking at the same time. I’d had a health scare, and she suggested packing it in. Going cold turkey together is awful, and we almost ended our relationship in divorce. After a week, I’d had enough of a respite and started smoking again. I was soon on top form and felt fit again. The breather restored my health, and we returned to our old ways soon after. 

#

But what about the expense, I hear you say? It’s funny how you can always find money for cigarettes when you’re a smoker. It doesn’t matter how tough things are, you can buy another pack. My Uncle Jim was a big smoker in the nineteen-seventies. He enjoyed anywhere between thirty to forty cigarettes every day. It was an era when smoking was encouraged and tobacco companies offered many incentives. They gave tokens away with every packet. The idea was to collect them and choose gifts in exchange. Uncle Jim collected seven thousand cigarette tokens of various denominations, hoping to claim a new car. He counted them out, gathered them up in a dozen boxes, and sent them off. It’s funny, but he heard nothing back from the cigarette company. When he called them, they said the tokens must have got lost in the post. Uncle Jim couldn’t believe it. According to my aunt, he hurled the telephone through their enormous picture window. The loss didn’t deter Uncle Jim, however, and he continued to smoke an alternative brand of tobacco. 

I overheard my family discussing the issue, and they asked the inevitable question regarding his expenditure. What would Uncle Jim do with the money if he had it all again? Uncle Jim just shrugged and said, if he had all the money he’d spent on cigarettes, he’d spend it all on cigarettes. 

It made little sense to me as a youngster and the waste horrified me. Now, I’m not so sure. He enjoyed a cigarette and I can understand that up to a point. He didn’t die of cigarettes and he had a happy life. As a social shorthand, it’s great for making friends. Can I pinch a ciggy? Would you like one of mine? Have you got a light? Inevitably, such questions lead to longer conversations at work or at a party. I’ve made many friends and acquaintances in that way.

#

When Virginia got ill and had to rest in the hospital, I rationed myself to fourteen cigarettes a week. Two every day; one in the morning and the other in the evening. Some days I’d get to half past ten, and I’d allow myself the second cigarette. Then, by lunchtime, I’d struggle not to have a third. Most days I’d finish ten cigarettes by mid-afternoon and pretend I’d done well. After all, I could have smoked a pack of twenty with ease. In the evening, I’d buy more for the next day and smoke them by the end of the night.

#

During my last visit to the hospital, Virginia asked me in a whisper if I had a light.

I’m sorry, love, I said, biting my lip as my eyes burned with salty tears. 

I haven’t got a light; I said. Didn’t you know I’ve given up?

Typical, she said, her voice rasping behind the oxygen mask. I’ll have to improvise.

#

Almost a year has passed since she made me promise to stop with her last gasp.

I’ve kept my promise for eleven months, three weeks and four and a half days. 

Just thinking about our life together makes me miss her so much.

It’s difficult to forego the two most precious things in one’s life.

Losing them both at the same time is heart breaking.

Virginia and cigarettes go together.

In my mind, I can’t separate them.

God, I could do with one now.


The End



March 12, 2022 04:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

245 comments

Glen Gabel
13:13 Mar 21, 2022

You set some beautiful scenes here and the dialogue flows naturally. I enjoyed it. Well done!

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:31 Mar 21, 2022

Hello Glen, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive feedback; it’s much appreciated. Take care and keep writing. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uzair Hafesji
23:55 Mar 20, 2022

Hey there Howard! What a beautiful story. The cigarette merely being a distraction from the bigger picture yet taking main stage like usual was beautiful. They truly are a blessing and a curse, although I've never smoked them myself. Both my brothers and the majority of my family smoke and seeing them as both a curse and a blessing could never be so true. When everyone smoked they consequently got closer and when they tried to stop they would almost drift away from everyone. I loved the story and would be pleased to read more. Sincerely uzair

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:04 Mar 21, 2022

Hey Uzair, Thanks for reading my story and sharing your thoughts on the matter. Cigarettes are so divisive now and yet there was a time when smoking was accepted and encouraged within society. It seems strange to recall smoking on public transport, in theatres and even at sports clubs and gyms. It seems like a different world nowadays, but it’s not that long ago in the scheme of things. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
00:55 Mar 20, 2022

The funny part about this story is it isn’t about cigarettes at all. That’s talent. Great job.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:16 Mar 20, 2022

Hello Lee, You’re absolutely right, the cigarettes are just a distraction, but isn’t that always the case? Thank you for reading my story and leaving your incisive thoughts, they’re much appreciated. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:19 Mar 19, 2022

Almost made me cry 😢

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:17 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Courtney, Thank you for reading my story and leaving the impression. I hope you weren’t too upset by it’s content. Take care HH

Reply

20:55 Mar 22, 2022

No def was immersed in the story great writing. Being human is so unique you did such a good job at depicting that.

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:31 Mar 22, 2022

Thank you Courtney, I appreciate your positive comments. HH

Reply

00:05 Mar 30, 2022

Of course:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laura Huffman
18:07 Mar 19, 2022

What a fun story to read with lots of humor and a bit of sorrow. I read through the entire piece, and I must admit I normally get bored and never get to the end, but this was good. I've been smoke free for six years and I've not craved on since. Keep writing with that sense of humor that made me smile!

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:13 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Laura, Thank you for reading my story to the end, I’m pleased it drew you in and held your attention throughout. That comment alone is really positive and a relief that my submission made sense and kinda worked. Take care, don’t stop quitting and enjoy your life with a smile. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zakirah Green
17:26 Mar 19, 2022

I like your story Howard H. It's simple but true. The language is familiar and it sounds British. I have never smoked but Sue did and I could always smell it on her breath. Sue no longer has breath. She died soon after she retired.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:09 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Zakirah, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m sorry hear about Sue; you must miss her. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
17:12 Mar 19, 2022

Men, it's hot in every aspect. Simple to read, educative, emotional. Shit, fine work men.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:06 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Philip, Thank you for reading my story. I’m glad you enjoyed and I appreciate your thoughts. Take care and keep writing HH

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
10:00 Mar 20, 2022

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Patterson
16:55 Mar 19, 2022

This is so wonderfully written. I love to read a story that reads like a visual. I have the characters envisioned. Only a small portion of ex-smokers stay that way. What an original way to express failure. Thanks for the great story!

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:04 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Alexis, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive response. I guess the visual bias in my writing is the result of working on movie storyboards in my past. That experience certainly helps me to think about scenes and moments as they come into my mind. Take care and carry on writing HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mark James
14:14 Mar 19, 2022

Howard, Great story and very relatable. As a former smoker of 35+ years and now smoke free for almost 15, I see myself in many aspects of the story. I like the very descriptive voice in their first meeting. It flowed very well. A good ending too. Possibly believing he will fail, yet trying anyway out of love. Excellent and a well deserved win. Mark

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:43 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Mark, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your thoughtful comments. I‘m pleased it made sense and was so relatable. The story has affected people a lot more than I could have imagined and I’m intrigued by the responses. Well done for stopping, don’t be tempted to start again. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dorothy De Kok
14:00 Mar 19, 2022

Well done! I knew it would win😁

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:35 Mar 19, 2022

Thank you Dorothy, HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Craig Westmore
12:18 Mar 19, 2022

Congratulations Howard! I'm really excited for you. A well-deserved win!

Reply

Howard Halsall
12:25 Mar 19, 2022

Thanks Craig, It was quite a surprise... HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:01 Mar 19, 2022

Great. . . . Is hard to separate from things that already capture our lives, but, it's easy to die with it.

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:14 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Chrissaint, Those are wise words. Thank you for reading my story and leaving you thoughts; they’re much appreciated. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Monroe _
06:15 Mar 19, 2022

Honestly, the most emotionally conflicted, 'poetic'-ish, emotional story I have read in a while. I want to explain the way I felt reading this, but I seriously can't- this is impressive and I really like your writing style (though this is the only story I've read of yours, I do really enjoy it). I noticed a few things reading this that will stick with for forever. Thank you,

Reply

Howard Halsall
06:48 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Monroe, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your thoughts. I’m gratified that it had such an emotional impact on you and relieved that it all made sense. I’ve found it intriguing to receive a wide variety of responses and read all the interesting comments. Certainly, it’s an emotive subject that elicits many moving recollections from its audience. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amy Green
05:01 Mar 19, 2022

Fantastic story. I felt as though I was right there with your main character. A great depiction of the social link between smoking and the impact between both quitting and continuing.

Reply

Howard Halsall
06:05 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Amy, Thank you for reading my submission and responding so positively. Initially, I was just relieved the story came together before the deadline and made sense. To be honest, I’m a little overwhelmed by its impact. It’s provoked a flurry of personal recollections and revealed the extent to which tobacco has affected so many people’s lives. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Russell Norman
02:32 Mar 19, 2022

Great story. Would you be interested in reading it for Blue Marble Storytellers?

Reply

Howard Halsall
02:44 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Russell, Thank you for reading my story an inviting me to read it for Blue Marble Storytellers. I am excited by the idea and flattered to be considered. Please send me more information or point me in that direction. HH

Reply

Russell Norman
10:01 Mar 19, 2022

www.bluemarblestorytellers.com as an initiative by Deidra Lovegren and myself to promote great stories and writers. One of these initiatives is a podcast series where we encourage writers to read their stories. It is really straight forward, you read / record your story, send me the audio. I do some post-production audio processing to sharpen up the audio and post it as an episode of the podcast (Blue Marble Storytellers) which can be found at the website above, or the major podcast aggregators (Apple Podcast, Spotify, etc). There is some a...

Reply

Howard Halsall
12:28 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Russell, Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cesar Gar
02:01 Mar 19, 2022

Funny notes: I included 'overdone' in the title of my story because I was like, how many times hasn't this same story been repeated---that said, we have the same concept, yours is better ;D cheers!

Reply

Howard Halsall
02:27 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Cesar, I think you’re being unnecessarily hard on yourself; I enjoyed your story and thought it was well written. If others want to criticise you, then let them, but don’t presume they’re going to react badly before they do. That’s my reaction; take it or leave it, but keep writing regardless, enjoy the process and let it be what it is. Take and care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sharon Hancock
00:03 Mar 19, 2022

Congratulations! Great story! A well-deserved win!😻🎈🎊

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:18 Mar 19, 2022

Thank you Sharon, I’m still manoeuvring my jaw bone back into its socket after receiving the news... Take care and have a fab weekend HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
20:47 Mar 18, 2022

My stepfather gave up his Benson & Hedges only after he had a heart attack on the way to work, had an induced coma, woke up...and demanded his cigarettes. Trust me, everything here I have seen up close and too personal. Congrats with the win!

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:41 Mar 18, 2022

Hello Kendall, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. It sounds like you’ve experienced the full impact of the dreaded addiction. As ever, it’s the bereaved relatives who pick up the pieces of their fractured lives. Smoking is such a damaging and ultimately destructive habit, but in a perverse way, that’s its deadly attraction. Take care and keep writing. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M. M.
20:19 Mar 18, 2022

OMG this was so well written; the fact u can pull this off with the harsh realities of trying to quit. My grandfather smoked in his death bed too so I can relate to the scene of Virginia. Smoking is an evil pleasure, very hard to stop. It was raw, original, and well deserved to win. keep writing!!

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:26 Mar 18, 2022

Hello M, Thank you for reading my story and leaving such positive feedback. It was a tricky story to get right and I took a few steps outside my comfort zone to get through to the end. To be honest, I’m relieved it made sense and just overwhelmed by the response. Keep writing and take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cathryn V
19:00 Mar 18, 2022

Hello Howard! I was so happy to see in my email that you'd won the contest this week. Your story's ending is superb! and I love this brilliant line: The manoeuvre was gentle but precise and practiced, as if she was removing a milk tooth from under a sleeping infant’s pillow. I've been off Reedsy for the last months, busy with workshops plus getting the final touches on my book that's due out in June. I'll be back on Reedsy one of these days. A big congratulations to you! Cathryn

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:40 Mar 18, 2022

Hello Cathryn, It’s lovely to hear from you and discover you’re well and progressing with your writing. I’m looking forward to reading your book when you release it. Do let me know as things progress. And thank you, of course, for your congratulations. Winning this week’s contest has not quite sunk in, despite being floored when I got the news. I’m still dusting myself down and fixing my jaw back into its socket; ouch! Take care and keep in touch. HH :)

Reply

Cathryn V
20:25 Mar 19, 2022

You certainly deserve it!! I'm so happy for you, especially since it comes with a tidy sum. None of this credit bullshit. Carry on!

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:43 Mar 19, 2022

Hello Cathryn, That note made me smile out loud! Thank you for the good vibes, they’re working well. Now I’m ready to roll up my sleeves and carry on, carrying on. Take care and stay in touch Howard

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cathryn V
15:03 Aug 23, 2022

Hello Howard! I have a favor to ask and it takes just a few seconds. Can you go to Reedsy discovery and give my book - I Need To Tell You - an upvote? I need them to get onto the feature page. And how are you? Thanks!

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:41 Aug 23, 2022

Hello Cathryn, How’s it going? I trust you’re well and you’ve been busy writing too… I’d love to find out more about your book… Of course, I’ll follow your instruction and fingers crossed it’ll help achieve your goal. Take care and keep in touch Howard

Reply

Cathryn V
04:01 Sep 16, 2022

Howard, thanks for responding. Whew! What a summer this has been. I hope yours has gone well. Have you sent out stories and hit a winner? My book is published in print and kindle. It can be ordered anywhere. A few days ago, it came out on Audible. For some reason Amazon gave me 25 codes for free audible versions for the UK. You're the only one I know in the UK! I wish you could give me the emails for some friends or relatives of yours who might like to listen to the book (for free). You can see it on amazon (i just checked and there are on...

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:36 Sep 16, 2022

Hi Cathryn, I just received my print copy of your book yesterday and I’m half way through. I’m hoping to finish it this evening during my night shift; if it’s quiet. The postal delivery to the UK isn’t particularly quick, however it was worth the wait; I’m thoroughly gripped by your story and characters. As ever, there are lovely observational touches that make your writing sparkle and counterpoint the harrowing experiences you reveal. It seems most timely to publish your book given the Roe v. Wade controversy, and the change in laws on your...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.