Game Over

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten seconds.... view prompt

195 comments

Sad Fiction Contemporary

Trigger warning: Death


They took off my ventilator.


Ten seconds left.


Before I lose.


Ten.


I stayed at home. I washed my hands. I wore a mask the rare times I went outside. I adapted to the online classes, the Zoom birthday parties and the occasional awkward family group call. I texted till my thumbs were sore and watched television till my eyes were red.


Nine.


I did it all. I tried. But it wasn’t enough. Clearly. The people who did nothing to save themselves were saved. I did everything to save myself. But it caught up to me. I ran until my lungs were screaming for oxygen. I ran the extra mile. But it still caught up to me. It tapped me on the shoulder, and whispered in my ear, “I win. I always win.”


Eight.


Why me? My friends didn’t get it. Neither did my family members. I am suddenly overtaken by a pang of jealousy. I’m not a good person. I’m not selfless like my parents. I can’t help but wonder why I was taken, why I don’t have any company where I am going. I am going to be lonely. I hate being lonely.


Seven.


I should be the one to die. It is best. I was never easy. From the moment I came out of the womb, I was always the ‘difficult one’. Difficult to control, difficult to discipline, difficult to predict. I deserve it. I was never normal. I was never what my parents wanted, what they needed. I always messed up. I always got in the way.


Six.


I will be absent forever. I will not be able to celebrate the beginning of a new year, a birthday, or even have a conversation with anyone. I won’t go to college. I won’t get married or have children. I won’t ever fall in love. I won’t get to meet new people. When photographs are taken, will they leave me a spot? Will they say that I would like to sit there this time? Will they push each other to give me some space? Will people remember the person I was before? Or will they remember how I am now, lying on this hard bed, unable to move? Will they remember my laughter, or will they remember when I couldn’t breathe? How will they cope? How will they continue their lives, knowing that a minute organism caused my absence for the rest of time?


Five.


They will cope. They must. They have to. I hope so. Loss is a part of life. Death is inevitable. It creeps up, asking for permission to take your soul. But it is just a formality. Just like how your sibling may ask for an item of stationery and you might not give it, but it will leave your possession within time. You can fight with her, but Death is stubborn. Even more stubborn than you. She will ask you, and when you say no, she will take it anyway. If you say yes, she will take it painlessly. I’m trying to give it to her. But I find that it is hard to give up something that has been yours for so long. You grow attached to it. But attachment is futile. The fact is that when your time comes, so will Death.


Four.


Everyone will forget about me. They will forget that I existed. When I cease to exist, the memory of me will cease to exist. They will remember me, but only for a limited amount of time. They will cry, or maybe they will laugh. They will drink to me and pray for me. They will sit at dinners, talking about me, until it fades into an awkward, heavy silence. Like my heart monitor. That green line will go up and down, reminiscing me. Then slowly the highs will no longer be high enough and the lows no longer low enough. It will soon even out, like a plain after a mountain range. It will go flat, and there will be a loud beep. Then I will leave.


Three.


I think about school, how I used to hate it, hate waking up early in the morning. But now I will never wake up again. I will never get to breathe again. I will never get to walk again, run again. Laugh again, cry again. The world will do it for me. But I hate asking for help. I hate that I can’t do it myself. I always do it myself. It’s getting harder to breathe. Every breath I take makes a sound, almost like a vehicle’s engine trying its best to start up. But this engine won’t. This engine’s petrol is slowly leaking out, making a puddle on the road. The hole is getting bigger, and more fuel is flowing. Everyone knows that it’s unrepairable now. It’s time to let go of this vehicle, time to let go of me. My body begins to shake, without my consent, and my parents look away, unable to take in what will happen in the next two seconds.


Two.


Maybe the last time I saw my family, I should have hugged them. I’m not much of a hugger really. I can’t tolerate any hugs, apart from my parents’. They already hugged me, nine seconds ago. It seems like a year. Maybe I should ask for another one. I look at my parents’ worn-out faces, tired from having barely any sleep for the past few months. My father rubs my mother’s hands and shoulders, trying to provide her with some comfort. He looks at me, and a single tear rolls down his cheek, landing on top of my mother’s head. I want to tell him to wipe it off because my mother hates it when water gets in her hair. I want to tell him that I’ll be okay, that I’ll manage. I want to tell him that I’m shaking too, that he should be rubbing my hands before rubbing my mother’s. But I hold it all in. Not because I can’t say it. But because I’m selfishly taking in all the oxygen I can before my body stops functioning.


One.


Game over.

December 24, 2020 15:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

195 comments

Carrie O'Keefe
15:27 Jan 12, 2021

I like your use of the prompt. You do have a great writing approach for these types of stories.

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:30 Jan 12, 2021

Aww, thank you! I really appreciate that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
13:32 Jan 12, 2021

“I win. I always win.” adding a will between I and always would enhance the sentence. Clearly. The people who did nothing to save Add clearly to the sentence. It is best. I was never easy. here you need to add the after is. You had some bit punctuation mistakes that's all. I loved the concept that you represented. In my country too have seen careless people harming other people lives. You had a message and a purpose in your story. I felt bad for the character. You displaced his emotions very strongly and stable. Really it was your best w...

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:08 Jan 12, 2021

Thank you so much for the feedback and the comment, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
07:00 Apr 08, 2021

Yeah is any problem here too

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
16:35 Jan 11, 2021

This story is amazing. It's pretty sad, and it's awesome that you made it so emotional in only ten seconds. Awesome job!

Reply

Writer Maniac
16:36 Jan 11, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Ari Berri
16:37 Jan 11, 2021

No problem. I'm about to read the other one now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Seemless Pen
10:46 Jan 04, 2021

Hi, it's a nice story but I must admit that this one didn't strike a chord like me like 'Not Worth it.' Lovely writing, though. This one has a more melancholic and lonely feeling in a sense. :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
10:56 Jan 04, 2021

Thank you so much for reading, I really appreciate it! I can understand, 'Not Worth It' is a much more relatable story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
09:00 Jan 03, 2021

[Game over.] Widpoanuwfhciwceinveo I'm dying. I can see why you're so proud of this one, Mania. The story was written beautifully, and emotion literally poured out of it. [You grow attached to it. But attachment is futile. The fact is that when your time comes, so will Death.] This was probably my favourite part, after the ending. I kneel before your talent, it's very inspiring. Amazing job as always, I will make it my goal to try and read all your stories when I have time. :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
09:02 Jan 03, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the high compliment! I would love if you read my stories, they're my life and soul, to be honest, and just sharing it to the world and getting feedback means everything to me, so thank you :)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
09:03 Jan 03, 2021

No problem! I agree with you, writing stories is something that will always make me keep going. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Just a question-- what made the protagonist so sick that they died without constant support? Love the story, just thinking...

Reply

Writer Maniac
14:42 Jan 02, 2021

Thank you for reading, I really appreciate it! I would assume that it was so obvious, but incase it wasn't, she died due to contracting the coronavirus, which is why her ventilator had to be taken off to give to someone else when her condition worsened. I believe there is a part where I clearly mention stuff about masks and Zoom classes :)

Reply

Yeah, you did, but I guess I thought it was something else. Thanks!

Reply

Writer Maniac
14:47 Jan 02, 2021

No problem!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Asumi Pringle
04:41 Dec 29, 2020

This is so good! It is sad and it made me tear up... I love how it went with the prompt! You did such a great job writing this!

Reply

Writer Maniac
04:46 Dec 29, 2020

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that! I'm glad it resonated with you in some way!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mickey D
12:41 Dec 27, 2020

I really like this story, it corresponds perfectly to the prompt. I love how it applied real world situations such as Covid. Also for only a 45 minute write it is not bad!

Reply

Writer Maniac
12:47 Dec 27, 2020

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
12:47 Dec 27, 2020

What did you think of 'Not Worth It'?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Antonio Jimenez
23:16 Dec 26, 2020

Wow! Incredible story. I was really interested to see what people would come up with for this prompt and this story did not disappoint. The section under "Five" was especially incredible. The only critique I have was the "Game over" at the end. Maybe something like: "It was all over" or "One final breath escaped from between my lips" or "My journey was over" would have worked better. I just think "Game over" sounds a bit callous and doesn't fit with the rest of the story.

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:02 Dec 27, 2020

Thank you so much, I'm so glad you liked it! I used 'game over' because I think that this whole life and death thing as well the virus itself is always considered to be a winning or losing situation where people who are unwilling to play unfortunately get involved in. So in a sense, living is winning and dying is losing. So 'game over' sounded to me like the perfect way to end it. I hope that made sense, please tell me if it still doesn't. P.S. Could you please check out my latest story 'Not Worth It' and leave a comment, it would mean a l...

Reply

Antonio Jimenez
03:28 Dec 27, 2020

Yeah, that makes sense. And I also realized the “before I lose” at the beginning. I’ll do that. I haven’t written in a few weeks but I’d love for you to check out my stories. (You can skip Food Fight if you want. Not my best work.)

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:30 Dec 27, 2020

Sure, I'll check your stories when I get the time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Annette Lovewind
17:16 Dec 26, 2020

All I can say is Dam. That was really good! Your words and how you our them together (does that make sense?) We're good. Overall I enjoyed!

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:26 Dec 26, 2020

Thank you so much, I'm so glad you liked this! I wrote this in about forty five minutes after the prompts came, so I'm really glad it turned out okay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emma Harris
15:53 Dec 26, 2020

Woah! The writing was immaculate! It was really interesting and it kind of reminded me of a word game. You were able to speak about a big problem in today's world without every actually saying anything directly about it. It's interesting to see that everyone knows exactly what it means despite the fact that the main words are never actually spoken. Great job!

Reply

Writer Maniac
16:40 Dec 26, 2020

Thank you so much, I really didn't want to take it by its name, so I got around it without bringing it up. I'm glad to see that it worked! I wrote this in about forty five minutes after the prompts came, so I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. Thank you for reading and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:34 Dec 25, 2020

Writer Maniac, I particularly love this title because so many people treat this pandemic like a game, and as the saying goes, "If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes." That's not the case in this story, because your narrator took it seriously. At the end of the day, you lose even if you never wanted to play in the first place. This is such a timely and necessary piece, and I enjoyed every single second of it. Literally. I found that the juxtaposition of the countdown to a different thought was powerful in its simplicity. The intros...

Reply

15:35 Dec 25, 2020

Also, if you don't mind looking over my story More Than Enough of Me, I would be over the moon if you gave some of your feedback!

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:47 Dec 25, 2020

Yeah, I'll check it out for sure! I'd also love to hear your thoughts on a story I posted today 'Not Worth It'. It's a bit depressing, so today being Christmas, read it only if you're up for it today :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
15:45 Dec 25, 2020

Thank you so much, I love that you totally get what I wanted to convey and your way of interpreting and expressing your thoughts is beautiful, so thank you for commenting on the story! The narrator has had enough time to take in her surroundings, having spent a while on the hospital bed. She would also be losing consciousness and breathing would become harder with every second, so I left out the finer details, and focused on her inner thoughts. I had the parents come in, protected obviously, so that it really hit that she needed them in her ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Amel Parvez
13:40 Dec 25, 2020

WOAH! i am in love with this story. really it was AWESOME. just wow.

Reply

Writer Maniac
14:10 Dec 25, 2020

Thank you so much, I'm so glad you liked it! I would love to know your thoughts on my latest story 'Not Worth It' :)

Reply

Amel Parvez
14:12 Dec 25, 2020

sure, i'll let u know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aman Fatima
08:31 Dec 25, 2020

This story is great. I was thinking how to place a story in 10 seconds as well but I couldn't come up with any thing. But you wrote it and it is amazing. And emotional. Loved it.

Reply

Writer Maniac
08:35 Dec 25, 2020

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! After the prompts came, I wrote this in almost forty-five minutes, it kinda just flowed out of me! I'm so glad you liked it! I'm sure you'll get an idea for your story soon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wirda Bibi
18:50 Dec 24, 2020

Hey👋 It is the best story and yeah it deserves more best words 💖 I didn't think of it. It's so emotional 😢 Well! Everything goes so smoothly and KEEP IT UP😊

Reply

Writer Maniac
01:57 Dec 25, 2020

Thank you so much, I'm so glad you liked it!

Reply

Wirda Bibi
12:00 Dec 25, 2020

Anytime 😍

Reply

Writer Maniac
12:10 Dec 25, 2020

I would love to know your thoughts on my latest story, 'Not Worth It' :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
15:58 Dec 24, 2020

This story is awesome! You got that done fast. Nice job!

Reply

Writer Maniac
16:02 Dec 24, 2020

Thank you so much! This is the fastest I've written, it kinda just flowed out! I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:58 Jul 27, 2022

All I can say is - WOW! I can totally relate to some of the stuff you wrote. Tears actually formed in my eyes when I read this! Just amazing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nati Yohannes
17:39 Aug 25, 2021

This is such a good story! It's very sad, although I like it! One way you could improve the story is if we got to know the main character better. What is there gender? What is there name? Why do they hate school? How old are they?

Reply

Writer Maniac
07:03 Aug 26, 2021

Thank you! The reason why I didn't describe the main character that much was to ensure that the reader could connect with the character. The gender, name and age doesn't matter at all. The reason why they hate school is the same reason why everyone hates school 😂 I would love to get some feedback on 'Forget-Me-Not' :)

Reply

Nati Yohannes
13:07 Aug 26, 2021

Ok!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kat Sencen
04:45 May 28, 2021

Hi! I loved this! The only thing I'd change is something on second two- her dad looks at the narrator, but they looked away the second before. Besides that, this was an awesome story!

Reply

Kat Sencen
04:48 May 28, 2021

Also, I'm wondering why did the "they" people, who I'm assuming are the doctors, take away the narrator's ventilator?

Reply

Writer Maniac
06:30 May 28, 2021

This is heavily based on the COVID-19 pandemic. This is something really common happening, where there aren't enough ventilators and beds for patients, due to which they begin to take the people who are unlikely to survive, off life support.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
06:29 May 28, 2021

Thanks for the feedback! They looked away because they knew what was going to happen, and the dad looked again to see her one last time before she dies. I hope that makes sense.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
14:30 Apr 18, 2021

This was so good! Your writing effortlessly flowed through the words, making a wonderful story! The suspense was amazingly done, and it made me hold on to every word, wondering what would happen next! Great job!

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:24 Apr 18, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I would love to hear your thoughts on 'Not Worth It' :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.