Game Over

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten seconds.... view prompt

195 comments

Sad Fiction Contemporary

Trigger warning: Death


They took off my ventilator.


Ten seconds left.


Before I lose.


Ten.


I stayed at home. I washed my hands. I wore a mask the rare times I went outside. I adapted to the online classes, the Zoom birthday parties and the occasional awkward family group call. I texted till my thumbs were sore and watched television till my eyes were red.


Nine.


I did it all. I tried. But it wasn’t enough. Clearly. The people who did nothing to save themselves were saved. I did everything to save myself. But it caught up to me. I ran until my lungs were screaming for oxygen. I ran the extra mile. But it still caught up to me. It tapped me on the shoulder, and whispered in my ear, “I win. I always win.”


Eight.


Why me? My friends didn’t get it. Neither did my family members. I am suddenly overtaken by a pang of jealousy. I’m not a good person. I’m not selfless like my parents. I can’t help but wonder why I was taken, why I don’t have any company where I am going. I am going to be lonely. I hate being lonely.


Seven.


I should be the one to die. It is best. I was never easy. From the moment I came out of the womb, I was always the ‘difficult one’. Difficult to control, difficult to discipline, difficult to predict. I deserve it. I was never normal. I was never what my parents wanted, what they needed. I always messed up. I always got in the way.


Six.


I will be absent forever. I will not be able to celebrate the beginning of a new year, a birthday, or even have a conversation with anyone. I won’t go to college. I won’t get married or have children. I won’t ever fall in love. I won’t get to meet new people. When photographs are taken, will they leave me a spot? Will they say that I would like to sit there this time? Will they push each other to give me some space? Will people remember the person I was before? Or will they remember how I am now, lying on this hard bed, unable to move? Will they remember my laughter, or will they remember when I couldn’t breathe? How will they cope? How will they continue their lives, knowing that a minute organism caused my absence for the rest of time?


Five.


They will cope. They must. They have to. I hope so. Loss is a part of life. Death is inevitable. It creeps up, asking for permission to take your soul. But it is just a formality. Just like how your sibling may ask for an item of stationery and you might not give it, but it will leave your possession within time. You can fight with her, but Death is stubborn. Even more stubborn than you. She will ask you, and when you say no, she will take it anyway. If you say yes, she will take it painlessly. I’m trying to give it to her. But I find that it is hard to give up something that has been yours for so long. You grow attached to it. But attachment is futile. The fact is that when your time comes, so will Death.


Four.


Everyone will forget about me. They will forget that I existed. When I cease to exist, the memory of me will cease to exist. They will remember me, but only for a limited amount of time. They will cry, or maybe they will laugh. They will drink to me and pray for me. They will sit at dinners, talking about me, until it fades into an awkward, heavy silence. Like my heart monitor. That green line will go up and down, reminiscing me. Then slowly the highs will no longer be high enough and the lows no longer low enough. It will soon even out, like a plain after a mountain range. It will go flat, and there will be a loud beep. Then I will leave.


Three.


I think about school, how I used to hate it, hate waking up early in the morning. But now I will never wake up again. I will never get to breathe again. I will never get to walk again, run again. Laugh again, cry again. The world will do it for me. But I hate asking for help. I hate that I can’t do it myself. I always do it myself. It’s getting harder to breathe. Every breath I take makes a sound, almost like a vehicle’s engine trying its best to start up. But this engine won’t. This engine’s petrol is slowly leaking out, making a puddle on the road. The hole is getting bigger, and more fuel is flowing. Everyone knows that it’s unrepairable now. It’s time to let go of this vehicle, time to let go of me. My body begins to shake, without my consent, and my parents look away, unable to take in what will happen in the next two seconds.


Two.


Maybe the last time I saw my family, I should have hugged them. I’m not much of a hugger really. I can’t tolerate any hugs, apart from my parents’. They already hugged me, nine seconds ago. It seems like a year. Maybe I should ask for another one. I look at my parents’ worn-out faces, tired from having barely any sleep for the past few months. My father rubs my mother’s hands and shoulders, trying to provide her with some comfort. He looks at me, and a single tear rolls down his cheek, landing on top of my mother’s head. I want to tell him to wipe it off because my mother hates it when water gets in her hair. I want to tell him that I’ll be okay, that I’ll manage. I want to tell him that I’m shaking too, that he should be rubbing my hands before rubbing my mother’s. But I hold it all in. Not because I can’t say it. But because I’m selfishly taking in all the oxygen I can before my body stops functioning.


One.


Game over.

December 24, 2020 15:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

195 comments

R. B. Leyland
18:01 Mar 16, 2021

Amazing, yet again! The countdown was intense, loved how you made it from her point of view. Even though her body had shut down, she hadn't.

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:41 Mar 17, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sage Alden
17:32 Mar 10, 2021

Okay, I've read three stories of yours now and I think (well, from what I've seen) that this story encompasses your writing style the best. The format is really well executed and it has just the right amount of emotion without it feeling scripted. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:46 Mar 10, 2021

Thank you so much, I really apppreciate the compliment! I would love your feedback on 'Remember that Night' :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avnee Writes
19:09 Mar 04, 2021

Nah, you have better ones.

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:30 Mar 05, 2021

I'm sorry what?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eva Bhalla
03:42 Feb 26, 2021

(This is my last comment for the night) This was emotional-I felt it hard-like a literal tsunami. Anyway this was my favorite(Not that the other ones were bad),Not only was emotional but it was detailed and at the end it seals the story perfectly. Well goodnight.:)

Reply

Writer Maniac
05:30 Feb 26, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm really glad it touched you! Goodnight!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Siobhan Mulalley
16:05 Feb 25, 2021

Seriously good for 45 minutes work. Sometimes once you start it really does flow. Which actually, I think works well as this is a piece on a stream of consciousness where someone is knowing they won’t be long for this world and is probably having a million thoughts, regrets and all sorts going through their mind. It is a very apt for the times we are in.

Reply

Writer Maniac
16:14 Feb 25, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it! Thank you so much for reading my stories :)

Reply

Siobhan Mulalley
17:33 Feb 25, 2021

No worries. I am a believer in that to be able to fully develop your own writing it is important to read as much of other peoples as possible.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Grace Lawrence
04:42 Feb 19, 2021

Wow....this was DEEP. The thoughts running through your MC's head were at once so focused and so scattered, bouncing from the past, to the future, to metaphor, and back to a heart-breaking reality. You did an incredible job of capturing someone's last moments, staying far away from the overly dramatic/sappy, and not shying away from the truth, but instead embracing it. This is definitely a story I will carry with me for a long time!

Reply

Writer Maniac
04:44 Feb 19, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I got this done in about 45 minutes, it almost felt like the story was always inside me and it just needed some time to get out :D It was quite emotionally draining for me to write, so I'm so glad you liked it! I replied back to your comment on 'Not Worth It', check it out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

This was truly great. It was so sad yet it kept me wanting to know more. I loved it

Reply

Writer Maniac
06:46 Feb 18, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

You're very welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Cole
17:24 Feb 13, 2021

This resonated with me, a painfully honest and heartbreaking story. I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:28 Feb 13, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I would love some feedback on the other two stories I recommended as well :)

Reply

Rebecca Cole
17:32 Feb 13, 2021

Of course! I'd love for you to give me some feedback on my most recent story! (its my only story lol)

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:07 Feb 14, 2021

Of course, I'll be sure to do that :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Renee Avery
10:02 Feb 13, 2021

Wow - powerfully written. Great description and emotion. It was sad to read as I think you really captured her thoughts in those last ten seconds well.

Reply

Writer Maniac
12:35 Feb 13, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maggie K
15:36 Jan 24, 2021

You are an amazing writer. Seriously. Do you only write short stories or have you written some longer stuff?

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:43 Jan 24, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the compliment! I write a lot of poetry and short stories, haven't attempted anything longer than that yet, I might consider it though :)

Reply

Maggie K
16:03 Jan 24, 2021

You totally should your really good!

Reply

Writer Maniac
16:04 Jan 24, 2021

Thank you so much! Could you please read 'Paper and Ink' and tell me what you think?

Reply

Maggie K
16:07 Jan 24, 2021

sure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jexica Marcell
17:38 Jan 22, 2021

CRAZY. This was amazing. I loved the counting in between! great job!!! -Cass

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:24 Jan 23, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luna G
05:00 Jan 19, 2021

I find I really love your writing style. I did, however, find that the paragraph about death read a little awkwardly to me. I think it would have also been nice to read some of her memories, kind of like her “life flashing before her eyes” kind of thing. It did an excellent job of getting me emotional right from them get go though, so excellent job with that.

Reply

Writer Maniac
05:49 Jan 19, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I understand your point of view, will be sure to work on it. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
12:17 Jan 18, 2021

The concept is AMAZING! I love it so much! You did a wonderful job of portraying her emotions and her thoughts. I am truly amazed!! <3 Would you mind taking a look at my last story called "White Memories", I would appropriate it if you could! <3

Reply

Writer Maniac
12:21 Jan 18, 2021

Thank you so much, I appreciate it! I'll check out your story when I get the time!

Reply

Nancy Drayce
12:23 Jan 18, 2021

Thank you! And I'll read 'Not Worth It' too as soon as I find the time! 💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Frances Reine
13:43 Jan 17, 2021

This reminded me of people in the world who still don't believe the pandemic is serious. ANYways-- So much voice poured into your words, I can't look away. Pure talent. I'm waiting for new stories now :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
13:44 Jan 17, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your comment!

Reply

Frances Reine
13:45 Jan 17, 2021

Of course, anytime.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Parul Srivastava
04:46 Jan 17, 2021

I cried at the little flashbacks...we all are living to die but we believe that death happens to others and not to us. The story is so sad and so inspiring at the same time. We really gotta LIVE while we are alive. I loved it. You are such an incredible writer!!

Reply

Writer Maniac
04:51 Jan 17, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
06:37 Jan 17, 2021

Would appreciate some feedback on my latest story :)

Reply

Parul Srivastava
10:28 Jan 17, 2021

Will do so soon for sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Jexica Marcell
17:41 Jan 15, 2021

This was dramatic in the best way possible. I loved then ending, It was very memorable. (Like you know how you read a book and remember the last line?) It was THAT kind of memorable. An 45 minutes? I've once done that, but its no where near as good as yours. I wish I could write like you. -Cass

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:55 Jan 15, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your comment!

Reply

Jexica Marcell
17:57 Jan 15, 2021

My pleasure!!! I love all your stories!!!

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:59 Jan 15, 2021

Thank you, that really means so much :)

Reply

Jexica Marcell
18:01 Jan 15, 2021

:D

Reply

Jexica Marcell
18:17 Jan 15, 2021

I was wondering if you could read my new story "Trauma"? Only if you can, I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rabail .
17:54 Jan 13, 2021

You told me to read it and I'm done with it. According to me you have good a imagination. Best of luck for future. o(*°▽°*)o

Reply

Writer Maniac
09:40 Jan 14, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:56 Jan 13, 2021

This is dismal, yet so easy to read. I think it just absorbs you when you read it. I was hooked from the first line. I think a lot of your works hang on that first line. I love when the entrance to stories gives me a good shot of the world we're in.

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:00 Jan 13, 2021

Thank you so much, I appreciate that! I'm glad that you liked it, and that it hooked you, always something good to hear :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alya Kaikuahine
23:44 Jan 12, 2021

This story is so amazing! You really did a good job with the prompt and i was looking back at other comments and can't believe you wrote this in 45 minutes!! It's so good! It's so heartfelt and really pulls on the heartstrings. Amazing job!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:32 Jan 13, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm so glad you liked it! It just kinda flowed out of me and it took very less time to finish it :) I would love some feedback on two of my stories 'Not Worth It' and 'Intertwined Destinies' as I'm really proud of those two :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jay DMer
16:45 Jan 12, 2021

1. My favorite seconds were 5, 3, and 2. Those 3 paragraphs had a better feeling, especially since it can be very relatable to many people. I felt the others were a bit all over the place, but they were still well written. 2.The concept of thinking all of these things happened in '10 seconds' and then he dies because they took off his ventilator was a lot. 3. I can tell that your character got Covid (if that was the case) by the hints that you added. Great story. Was enjoyed at my end:)

Reply

Writer Maniac
16:51 Jan 12, 2021

Thank you so much for your comprehensive feedback, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Jay DMer
16:57 Jan 12, 2021

Anytime:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.