91 comments

Fantasy Historical Fiction Romance

Author's Notes: If you take offense to anything said in this story I apologize in advance

Gert’s POV

My runt of a man ain’t able to protect us so I had to get us a worthy hunting pet. The grey and yellow beast sat on a boulder late at night, watching over the edge, scanning the area. His bright blue and grey eyes watch over the people below, as they destroy it’s land, it’s home. I loosen my grip on my spear as I watch him closely. His fur blows in the wind softly and his claws stretch out and then back in. His head cocks slightly in my direction but he doesn’t react other than that. I slowly move closer, my feet gliding against the snow, nearing the boulder I stop again as the beast stares at me; He eyes me for a moment before turning away again. I keep moving closer until I'm right under the boulder.

 I throw my spear up on top of the boulder before bracing myself. I scan my surroundings for any kind of gripping, I spot a slight rut in the rock and I grab hold of it. I pull myself up and over until I lay flat on the top of the rock. Now close enough to the beast, I grip the back of its neck. He roars out in pain, lashing out at me he slashes me with his claws. His claws sink into my left shoulder, blood starts to trickle down my arm in a steady stream. Still gripping his neck fur I pull him onto his back, his legs still lashing out, clawing out every which way. I hold him down until he calms, once his legs stop lashing, I let his fur go. He gets off his back and sits down in front of me, his head bowed to me. 

A smile forms on my face slowly, I pat his head softly. I suck in a sharp breath between my teeth causing a sharp smack sound to come out. He stands and nudges me softly, I slowly move back to my cave. My husband stands in the corner of the cave drawing; That's what he does, He draws things and people trade food for his work. I call out to him. His head turns towards me and when he notices the beast sitting obeditaly at my side he smiles.

Homan’s POV

My woman walks into the cave and standing next to her is a big grey and yellow beast. His long teeth are sparkling in the half lit room. His grey and blue eyes are staring into me, like some kind of soul sucker. My woman did it, she found us a worthy hunter.

 I walk over to her and smile “You done and did it, You got us a mighty strong and wild beast. What’s his name?” I grunt out, my eyes still scanning the beast.

“I’ve named him Saber,” She grunts back, her hand slips over the beast back, rubbing him softly.

“Why Saber, Isn’t that rather ordinary?” I grunt with an eyebrow raised.

“Considering that we ain’t normal, I’d rather have something ordinary in my life.” she grunts with a slight huff.

“We are normal right?” I grunt moving over to the slap of rock in the middle of the cave, sitting down.

“No we ain’t Homan. Who does the hunting?”

“Well you do,”

“Right, and who protects us?”

“You and Saber do now,”

“Right, and who cooks?”

“I do, what are you getting at?”

“Okay and who cleans?”

“I do, what’s your point Gret?

“My point Homan is that, our roles are switched. I’m the man in this cave and you’re the woman. People talk ya know, always saying that you ain’t even a man, and that we are like our next door neighbors.”

“Them two women?”

“Yes, the two women Homan. They think we’re like them, we ain’t normal. So for once I wanted to be normal, so I got Saber for you. You will learn how to hunt with him, and I’ll learn to cook and clean.”

“But I don’t like hurting animals, I’d rather draw”

“Well, it’s either me or your drawings. Your choice, pick wisely.”

I stare at her as she walks away, my confusion is clear on my face. I don’t wanna pick, I want both. What's wrong with the way we live, I thought she was happy. My mind goes wild and I get up and walk over to my rock slabs. I grab my tiny piece of charcoal and start to draw.

Saber’s POV

I watch as my new humans fight, the woman is yelling about being normal and the man is grumbling about her being happy. The whole time I’m watching in confusion, humans aren’t idiots like I thought they were. They care about each other just like us stt’s do. They hunt and communicate just like we do. I stand and walk out of the cave, I look around briefly until I spot my new master, and I chase after her. I stop next to her and walk along with her. She looks over at me and places her hand on my neck, she smiles softly wiping her tears.

“Hey, Saber, Shouldn’t you stay with your master?” she grunts to me with a cock of her head.

I move my mead under her hand and just rub my head back and forth.

“Oh, you think i’m your master?” she grunts again

I nuzzle my head against her hand again

“Well then, I guess i’m your master.” she says with a smile.

We keep walking for a while, she is quiet the whole walk with a perplexed face. I leave her alone knowing that is what she wants, at least at the moment. Once we get to the cave she walks in and sits down on the slab of rock in the middle of the enclosement. She clears her throat, catching Homans attention, and she starts to speak. 

“I’m sorry for trying to make you pick,that wasn’t right of me.” she starts to say but Homan interrupts her

“Don’t be sorry, you were right, I should try harder to protect us. In order to do that maybe I should use Saber to help me. I want you to be happy and I realize now that I have to do what I love and protect the person I love.” he grunts out softly as he takes a knee in front of her.

“Thank you, I could help more around the cave if you want.” She grunts back in reply.

“Yes, please do.” He says with a slight chuckle.

I sit softly in the opening of the cave watching my humans fondly.

Author's notes: I will say these specific characters aren't homophobic it's just to get the point across

February 19, 2021 21:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

91 comments

Ari Berri
17:15 Mar 02, 2021

Awesome story. I love your profile picture. 🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈

Reply

Jace A. King👑
18:37 Mar 02, 2021

I'm glad you liked it :) Thank you... I love yours as well :)

Reply

Ari Berri
18:57 Mar 02, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.