2 comments

Mystery Fiction Funny

This story is a sequel to Little Something (I) and (II) that you can find on my page.


6:29am. Finn stepped into the steam of the shower. He flipped the comb, threw it in the air, caught it with his other hand and combed the sides of his scalp. His abs had grown thicker overnight and he sprayed them with cactus & sandalwood freshness which burnt his skin, pleasurably, each time. He pressed play on his phone - Wasn't me by Shaggy was this song of the moment. He almost managed to slam at the same speed as the singer, with two more weeks of practice, he'd get there. But the performing part was not the most important. Th most important were the lyrics. For, soon, he'd be in Shaggy's situation. Getting rid of his irrational girlfriend. He couldn't wait to swap her for Liz. The girl next door, you know.


No mail for Liz that morning. She still hadn't put a label on her mailbox, that would be enough to strike up a conversation with her. He loved to fix her problems - especially those she didn't know she had. He walked back to his flat - it was only 7:15. He had planned his daily routine around helping Liz every morning. He wrote her name on the blank labels he had bought last Thursday, after the gym, to that effect. Structure was key to move forward in life and he could bring that to her. Next step would be to help her plan their first date. In two weeks, things would enter phase two.


"Hi Liz."


She didn't answer or look at her mailbox. She had her sunglasses on, as every morning, although the winter sky outside was still dark.


"The situation is now resolved at the bakery." He said putting his hands on his hips. He pushed the police badge hanging at his belt forward, although he was wearing his police uniform for Liz often missed the big picture.


"I know. I told you it was sorted out."


"You know, I'm not surprised. It did look like a coup from an insider and Ida was the first suspect on my list. When I heard Erwin speak, I sensed it was her. Intuition never lies."


She looked at him with her usual smile - he could never read through that smile and he liked that secretive side of hers.


"Should we celebrate?" he hated to beat around the bush and he had been doing so for the past four months now, because he didn't want to rush her. But the time had come to execute his plan.


"Why not."


Why not? See, making progress.


"4pm at the warehouse?", she said.


"4pm at the warehouse." Liz could be decisive when she wanted to, and so was he, all the time. His tone was confident and his body language solid as he answered her - we were on track to phase two. Planning never lies.


The chime tinkled as he entered the bakery. Sugar, sugar, sugar everywhere. Finn was glad not to be addicted to sugar, he wasn't addicted to anything. Except his weights at the gym and protecting the citizens, that he was addicted to.


"Morning Officer."


"You must be Erwin?" That guy behind the counter needed vitamins. And sleep. Unproductive people run around to catchup on work and never sleep. We should introduce two mandatory classes at school: time and health management. As citizens, it's our duty to be productive and helpful to society.


"I'm Finn, Nice to meet you." Finn shook Erwin's hand over the counter. "I've worked on your robbery case with Ida - textbook situation. Unhappy insider, internal competition for limited promotions, pressure from top management. These things they never work out - but facts never lie. And that's how I figured it out - facts."


"Double latte, organic salmon bagel and kale smoothie, as usual?"


Didn't Erwin listen to him? Those people they take others' efforts for granted. They have to do your work to understand how much effort you put it, but since they're too busy catching up on yesterday's tasks, they'll never get there. Finn sighed, hands on his hips - being responsible was a curse. You see the big picture but you can't tell others.


"Yes, please." Always be a role model. Erwin doesn't acknowledge Finn's work as a policeman? Fine. Finn still acknowledged his as a baker. Finn pushed a coin into the tips can - from his experience, economical incentives increase performance at work. Economics never lie.


"Thanks, Sir. I'll see you around." Finn put on his hat and held the door open to an old lady, with a smile. Another day, being here for his town.


3:15pm. He had told his manager he could only cover for the morning shift as he had personal matters to attend in the afternoon. Always tell people what you are up to - build trust and reliability. Be all about that. He adjusted his ironed shirt and brut jeans. He shone the leather of his shoes and sprayed on his favourite perfume. Two taps on his neck and two on his cheeks - smelt so good. In the mirror, he looked casual but smart. As smart as Black Friday. Talking of what, he could have bought her flowers, something classy, but that was for phase too. Rushing things in dating was inappropriate. Before leaving, he pshitted two more doses of perfume, those things they never last.


3:50pm. His car parked under a plane tree, in the mud, by the warehouse. No Liz in sight - people are just bad with time.


Liz showed up, with her long red skirt and purple shawl. The way she dressed was funny. Not to his taste, but he would tell her about that in three months, not now. He adjusted the collar of his pea jacket, put on his gloves and got off the car. Who was that ahead? Was that the guy from the bakery?


"Hi Liz!" He smiled at her and looked at the baker. "Sir." He shook his hand again, be kind to your opponents. Play fair, be a gentleman.


"Finn meet Erwin, Erwin meet Finn. Erwin won the Giant Cookie contest yesterday, as you know, and I thought we could celebrate in the warehouse since I still have the keys. Finn works at the police station, he has been working on a sad case for a month now - one of my dance students got killed on her way back from class." She sighed.


Why did she bring that up now? A month was the longest he had worked on an unresolved case. That made him look like a loser.


"A student, killed? When?"


"It's complicated." Finn said. "For procedure reason, I cannot share any sensitive information with you."


Erwin frowned.


"It is what it is." You could trust Finn with privacy. "Given you're involved in the Bakery Case, that I have resolved three days ago, we can discuss it." Always be open, teach people as much as you can.


"On that note," Erwin looked serious all of a sudden, "I wasn't sure whether or not to bring this up here, but -"


"Please do, Sir."


"I don't think Ida did it. I think Violet did."


Did the baker question his conclusions and the procedure? No, Sir, that Finn could not accept. Finn smiled.


"Who is Violet? She wasn't on the list of the suspects you gave us." Finn said.


"I didn't know she had had access to the kitchen and knew about the mushroom." Erwin stared at Liz.


"Sir, I'd ask you not to intimidate the dance teacher of the town. How come you did not know who had access to your kitchen?" Always put things back into context.


Erwin was still staring at Liz. She caressed her arm with a worried look. She looked like a rabbit who needed protection. Police protection.


"Did Violet do it, Liz?" Erwin asked.


"How would I know?"


"Any evidence? Any witnesses? Anything tangible?" Finn asked.


"Ida saw her."


Finn laughed out loud and Liz hid her smile in her shawl. "Of course, suspect number 1 tells you it's a teenage girl who did it."


"I believe her."


"So now you believe your sneaky colleague? All good with you, Sir? No hallucinations, no fever?"


Liz laughed.


"You can interrogate Ida and Violet. I'm sure other witnesses saw Violet ask for me at the counter when I was talking to the mayor -", Erwin said.


"Don't tell me how to do my job.", Finn said.


Erwin gave him a dark look - now he would make it personal. Those people...


"I have a deal: you interrogate Ida, Violet, her dad - the tailor, and all the people who come to the bakery at that time everyday. I can give you a list if you don't want to ask Ida. You can interrogate me too if you want." Erwin paused. "And I'd suggest you also interrogate Liz."


Liz fainted.

December 16, 2020 11:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Conor Thackray
23:25 Dec 29, 2020

There were some interesting details in this story to do with you lead character that would have been enough to paint him for the reader. However it was overshadowed by the forced exposition "Addicted to protecting citizens" and "Another day, being here for his town." It's really jarring and takes the reader out of the story. Small but telling details, work much better to create your characters and really immerse the reader in your story. It also felt a bit rushed at the end, I don't know if you were time pressured or not. Interested to see w...

Reply

Show 0 replies
DREW LANE
11:23 Dec 16, 2020

Wasn't them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTMgX1PDGAE

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.