37 comments

Funny

I. Clueless


For once in eternity, God didn't know what to do, although he was omniscient.


And knew it. Or he thought so. Now he wasn't so sure.


If he knew all things in heaven and hell, which was a hell of a lot more than heaven alone, he would instantly know in advance how to respond in the future.


But he didn't. Nothing made sense anymore!


The chances of human beings finding a way to outsmart God were lower than a snowball's chance in hell, or heaven and hell combined, whichever was worse. How could they set him up behind his back, in front of his face?


Only God could achieve the impossible, so this must be his will, since it was clearly impossible! He was stunned. This made no sense, and he knew it.


Or thought he did. Aarrgghh!

God grumbled, then sat alone in silence.


Never mind, he assured himself. It's some trick of the Devil that he must have allowed. Then made himself forget, since he was omnipotent.


Only God could make himself forget that he forgot something, right?


Just forget it, he thought.


God tore through his infinite collection of files, searching frantically. For random thoughts or ideas scribbled in the margins, or any clues at all to why he might have planned to forget whatever plans he forgot. There must be some note reminding him, somewhere. But since he could not remember where he forgot he wrote it down, surely he had planned all that!


How else could God, himself, set up humans to set him up? Unless he set that up, too? This whole thing smelled of a setup, right under his nose.


Finding no answers, he found himself lost. For the first time in history, with no beginning or end, God was clueless. If his plan was to prove his omniscience, now he knew how cluelessness felt.

Otherwise, he wouldn't have a clue!


God now knew what it meant not to know.

At least he knew that much.


II. Speechless


God stared at the letter, from the Nobel Committee on their official letterhead. By unanimous decision, God had been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. After how many centuries of nations at war? At the suggestion by a young Swedish girl, he was nominated by students across the globe in a viral campaign. That quickly became a joke on the Internet.


Nevertheless, Greta persisted. She believed that by asking all nations and leaders to endorse the same nomination, voting for God would bring peace to a deeply troubled world. If not for the laughter and ridicule of skeptics, certain she had ulterior motives. Her newest video conference address, urging global unity, had to be tied to winning the debate over climate change!


God was speechless. Was this a trick, a ruse by ruthless humans, entrapping him by forcing him to appear onstage? To face a barrage of questions about Jesus? Or global warming?


No, given the history of these insufferable creatures he created, while drunk with delight from overestimating the human ego, God knew the calculating minds of his own children, that constantly plotted to catch him in the slightest contradiction. Condemning falsehood and demanding truth, while secretly afraid to find out! Thus, the human conscience was designed to tear apart the first flaw, as an excuse to condemn and discredit all else that followed.


God knew the game, but didn't know what to do.


Perhaps these curious humans just wanted to know: What would God say? Would he thank his mother? Everyone else thanks “God” in their acceptance speeches. Who is left for God to thank, but himself?


Alas, there were no notes, no clues as to what God had planned for this moment.


He was truly at a loss for words. Yet longed to give his children what they yearned for in their hearts. He realized that was his answer.


III. Timeless


The stage was set, the podium lit up to receive the Word of God. Every camera and every television broadcast, all eyes focused on the microphone, under a single, golden spotlight.


The glow of God’s presence filled the auditorium. The audience gasped. Then waited, in breathless awe. The divine light grew, overtaking the stage. And pierced the heart and mind of every viewer around the world at once.


God spoke not a word. He didn’t need to. He merely was, is, and always would be. Exuding pure love, pure knowledge of all truth over time and space, that every soul recognized in an instant.


Every heart received, and every ear heard in a different tongue, a unique message to each person.


Some heard God tell them gently: “I love you, my child. Fear not. I love you, as I want you to love others.”


Other cups filled up with reassurance: “All the things you’ve heard and rejected. None of it matters anyway. Be at peace. Know I am with you.”


Anyone with a favorite Scripture, swore they heard God say it. Those who had been told God loves them, just the way they are, for they were made that way for a purpose, suddenly knew this was true. Beyond all doubts or fears, completely healed and melted away.


Nobody said a word. Some wept, many prayed, overwhelmed with joy. Or grief and regret, followed by gladness and relief.


Everyone knew they were loved. And were created with love. Greater than the unspeakable suffering in the world, the collective injustice and genocidal wars that scarred human history.


Nothing was unforgivable. Everything was understood. Not a word was needed. Love was sufficient unto love. And peace was its own path.


The Christians were right. The Buddhists and Muslims. Even atheists and the worst skeptics found themselves justified and redeemed. God’s universal truth, by definition, encompassed all knowledge, completed every path, and answered all questions to bring the spiritual process of each individual soul to fruition. In perfect union and harmony, as God intended from the start.


He didn’t remember planning it this way. But he went along with the flow, trusting that if everything lay in his own hands, then he must have willed this event, exactly as it unfolded.


His will was perfect, right? Maybe. Maybe not.


But his love for his children, timeless and true, spoke for itself.


Without doubt. Without question.

Without words.

 

May 30, 2020 00:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

14:06 Jun 12, 2020

Great story Emily! I love reading weird perspective and that of God... we’ll, very Smart 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Praveen Jagwani
05:08 Jun 11, 2020

What a romp. Loved it. The personification of God was cleverly done. The gradual meshing of humour with spiritual message was neatly crafted. Thank you for an enjoyable read :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
P. Jean
13:57 Jun 07, 2020

As I look around today, I believe God is confused! You wrote of his dilemma very well. Amazing writing! Interesting thought process! I don’t have to tell you to keep writing, you are a natural!

Reply

Emily Nghiem
19:27 Jun 09, 2020

Thank you, PJean, for your thoughtful response and comments! Your first sentence made me laugh! Plus, you captured in a few words what took me a whole section of words tripping all over themselves to say. You said it in one sentence! Most people say patience is a virtue, but sometimes the only virtue I have is impatience. And wanting to get to the point, and not take the time to journey around and enjoy the walk and the descriptions along the way. If my impatient writing style can ever help you, please feel free to tag me on any story that c...

Reply

P. Jean
21:09 Jun 09, 2020

Sounds like a plan! A plan where I would benefit although my inner child is quite frustrated by decades of behaving.....if only it could be wild again. No. Correction. If only it could be Wild for once in its life.

Reply

Emily Nghiem
22:34 Jun 09, 2020

Oh, dear. If you want to loosen up your wild inner child, I'm either the best person to help, or the worst in the world. Since you are obviously a good and very nice person, your concept of going wild won't be as bad as mine. So I hope I can be a creative influence in that way, and not mess you up with how bad I can be! Glad to help you experiment and play more!

Reply

P. Jean
23:01 Jun 09, 2020

The next time my husband yells at me, “I FORBID IT!” I will refer him to you! Lol

Reply

Emily Nghiem
23:42 Jun 09, 2020

Oh, no yelling. If he ever saw what my bf puts up with... No way, he'd be jumping for joy he's married to you, not an incorrigible like me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
20:11 Jul 15, 2020

This was so clever, and it reminded me a lot of the premise of that '70s movie with George Burns. I loved those final sentences and the classic "three-act" structure you used.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Uzonna Cyril
22:51 Jun 26, 2020

You really did a marvelous work here as a little God you are, ensuring the unity God intended amidst various diversity in the universe. The freedom of a writer is 100percent in you. More Of such to our delight. Kudos Emily

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jen Park
08:24 Jun 23, 2020

This makes me to think and laugh at the same time.....and I have to confess that I never thought this way before even though I was a Christian.Undoubtedly a clever, creative story! And thank you for liking my story:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shirley Medhurst
21:39 Jun 22, 2020

Awesome ! What an interesting viewpoint....

Reply

Show 0 replies
ℤ ℍ☮️
16:05 Jun 20, 2020

I really like this story! I think it's very creative!!!! If you have the time, can you give me some feedback on "You Jump" and "The Walls Remembered"! If you don't, I understand! Thanks.

Reply

Emily Nghiem
16:07 Jun 21, 2020

Thank you, ZH. Please check both comments. Thank you for reading and sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arvi Krish
06:53 Jun 15, 2020

Nice!

Reply

Show 0 replies
A.J Blink
23:25 Jun 11, 2020

This story got me thinking deep. It's the first of it's kind I ever read anywhere. Nice play of words though and thanks for liking my stories. Love love!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Roland Aucoin
18:58 Jun 11, 2020

Wow ... what a nice story. Love it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
May Mills
16:29 Jun 11, 2020

Wow it was so cool how you made the story in the perspective of God. I really enjoyed the story, well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
A. Y. R
13:24 Jun 09, 2020

This was a really interesting read! And you really captured the sense of confusion well here! I could really feel my thoughts spiralling alongside the narrator's!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Corey Melin
23:57 Jun 07, 2020

Very well written. A good take on the Almighty.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Iku Saari
15:57 Jun 07, 2020

Great work! This combines serious and whimsical in such a way that I was moved. Love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
DHANANJAY SHARMA
08:27 Jun 07, 2020

Fabulous. Kindly go through my stories and share your thoughts about them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arya Preston
05:37 Jun 07, 2020

This is such an interesting take on the prompt and very much mystical in nature! The narration is also quite captivating, especially because we're following an omniscient entity! Great story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:37 Jun 07, 2020

Wow...great story Emily! Nicely written and I loved the way you elaborate your story. Keep writing and stay safe! :))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Roshna Rusiniya
09:35 Jun 04, 2020

I loved the way you started the story. Beautifully written. Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Lee
03:12 Jun 04, 2020

Hey Emily! What a well-thought out story - your writing style made me feel like I was the "fly on the wall" observing it all first hand. It was different for sure, but you really took me for a surprise! Good job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.