26 comments

Crime Sad Drama

This story contains themes or mentions of sexual violence.

In mathematics, the Fibonacci numbers, commonly denoted Fn , form a sequence, the Fibonacci sequence, in which each number is the sum of the two preceding ones. The sequence commonly starts from 0 and 1, although some authors start the sequence from 1 and 1 or sometimes (as did Fibonacci) from 1 and 2. Starting from 0 and 1, the first few values in the sequence are:[1]

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233.

(Wikipedia)

Each paragraph in this story will have the number of words in this Fibonacci sequence, up to 233, and then the paragraphs will begin again at 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, …. That is, the first paragraph will contain one word (we discount the first value of zero), the next paragraph will contain one word, the next will contain two words, then three, then five, and so on.

_____________________________________

Blood.

Silence.

Two words.

They mean everything.

Everything, that is, to pappa.

I killed him because he was hurting mamma.

Mamma had been beaten again, by pappa, for the third time this week.

Pappa then turned to me. I was hiding in a corner under a table, holding a kitchen knife to my breast.

He pulled me out by my legs, my soft and frightened whimpers adding to his anger. He bent down to face me. I slashed wildly at his throat, and the blood immediately painted me.

He fell back heavily and grabbed his throat. A strangling cry arose, and then there was gurgling. I watched as pappa tried to speak, but nothing came out. The blood gushed with a violence like pappa’s violence. His angry eyes glazed over until they were sightless. Pappa stopped moving, but the blood continued to flow.

I cleaned up mamma as best I could and then steered her towards her bed. She sobbed and apologized for pappa’s behavior. She blamed it on drink and lack of coin, but she never blamed it on character. I had learned about character in school, and how it determined our lot in life. A man can be poor and honorable. A man can be rich and dishonorable. Pappa was poor and lacked the character needed to be honorable. I took it upon myself to make him pay for that.

I sat on our doorstep and waited for a constable to come by. They come by quite often here because there is always something that was needed from them. Last week, a man was knifed because he looked at another man the wrong way. Three weeks ago, a woman was found dead two doors down. One of those women that mamma didn’t like, the kind that she says sells pleasure for money. That didn’t sound too bad to me. I didn’t even know that pleasure could be bought. I wondered how much pleasure a shilling could buy from one of these magical ladies, and I asked one of them. She laughed at me, patted my head, and told me that she sold the kind of pleasure that only men would buy. Sally was her name. She was found on the street, bloody and silent.

Constable Pillsbury came by and stopped right in front of me. He looked at me like I had never seen mamma or pappa look at me. He sat beside me and asked me why my clothes were bloody. I told him that some of it was pappa’s and some of it was mamma’s. He looked at me again with that curious look, and I was certain that he was reading my thoughts. That’s what constables do, I think. I didn’t mind, though. Constable Pillsbury was always nice to me and my friends, often giving us a piece of hard candy and a smile. One time he saw bruises on my arms and asked me if pappa had done it. I said yes and that pappa had done even worse to mamma. He shook his head and his face turned red. He must have been running earlier for his face to be so red. Later that night, he came to the house and he and pappa spoke outside. Pappa waved his arms around and his face went red. Constable Pillsbury tapped pappa on the chest with his nightstick and pappa backed up. When pappa came back in the house, he hit me across the face and told me never to tell Constable Pillsbury anything about what happens in our house. Then he hit me again and mamma grabbed his arm. He broke her nose.

___________________________________________

Smoke.

Whiskey.

Two detectives.

Two serious men.

They whisper, drinking amber liquid.

They’re reading my thoughts, like Constable Pillsbury did.

They wear expensive clothes and smoke cigars, so I guess they’re important men.

They ask me why I killed pappa and I told them that he always hurt us. He hurt mamma the worst.

Then they asked me if I ever feared for my life. Both of them leaned forward and stared at me like I was a holy vision. I said he choked me terribly at times.

They asked me again if I ever feared for my life. I told them that I reckoned pappa would kill me and mamma one day. They nodded and left the room. A nice constable took me home, but mamma was unhappy. She said I was a wicked child for killing the one man she loved.

Mamma sent me to live with Uncle Jack. She said no one else wanted me on account of me being a young murderer and they were afraid that I might murder them one day. I did cry some because mamma didn’t love me anymore, and I cried even more because Uncle John was severe. He fed and clothed me but he didn’t love me like mamma used to love me. He would look at me and lick his lips, then kiss me. His beard scratched my face something terrible.

One night Uncle John came into my bedroom and told me to take off my nightclothes. You owe me what I want for taking you in. I didn’t want to undress but he made me, then he undressed. Spread your legs. I’m due some pleasure from you. He undid my legs and entered me. It hurt something terrible, and I bled from betwixt my legs. But I didn’t cry. After Uncle John left, I cleaned myself up and went back to bed. I thought that was the end of it, but it wasn’t. He took his pleasure many times and would squirt his squirt and then leave. I would clean myself up. No crying. After a few months of this, I killed Uncle John. He entered me one night and I sliced his throat just like I had sliced pappa’s throat. Painted red again.

The judge sent me to a place for young offenders. I didn’t like it. The other girls were mean and had no honor. I was only ten years old, so they treated me terribly. My teachers liked me, said I was bright. This made the older girls even angrier. But I endured and I was released when I turned eighteen. I had no trade, so I became one of those women that my mamma despised. A pleasure girl. I didn’t ever understand that phrase. I reckon the men got pleasure out of rutting on me betwixt my legs, but I never enjoyed it. Most of the men were drunk when they entered me, their breath sour and their hairy bodies dripping sweat on me. I don’t know what came over me, but I started killing the men who bought my pleasure. It wasn’t long before the police caught me and sent me to prison. I have a room all to myself now, and I have some paper and ink. I spend my days writing. The matrons are nice to me but they are also afraid of me. The preacher speaks to me of my evil ways and asks me to repent of my sins. I tell him that it’s no sin to kill some people and he shakes his head. His visits have stopped, until today. Today, he smiles and he quotes Jesus.

________________________________________________

Silence.

Sadness.

A rope.

My feet tied.

I’m being hung this morning.

I think of the ineffable silence of blood…


February 22, 2023 00:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Sophia Gavasheli
03:15 Feb 24, 2023

Why am I not surprised that you chose the mathy prompt? :) In all seriousness though, this is quite the story, really got me thinking. I love the title, and those two words at the beginning are so impactful, especially by themselves. You must have had to play around with your word choice a lot to stick to the sequence, but it does show (for instance, I like how you use the word "paint" to describe being covered in blood- it really speaks volumes). The MC's story is very tragic, especially because of the flat way that it's told, as if she'...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
07:40 Feb 24, 2023

Thank you so much, Sofia. I'm so pleased that you understood how impactful the short sentences were; they were the key to getting the feel of the tale. This is, and was, a commonplace occurrence. The tragedy is that kids are at the mercy of their caretakers; they suffer or bloom according to the whims of their personal, temporary gods. Again, thank you. I appreciate the insight you brought to my work. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
14:37 Feb 23, 2023

I was awed by this work the first time I read it and it continues to grab and won't let go. It's not only an incredibly difficult, would be for me, feat to craft words in such deliberate pattern, the devastating - and all too real - subject matter left me a little shattered around the edges but I can't say I minded. I think it's necessary and, in its own, unique way, a gorgeous piece. Beauty comes in many forms and this is certainly among them. Nice, Del. Totally awesome.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
15:11 Feb 23, 2023

I'm overwhelmed by the effusive praise, Susan, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Yes, it was a tough write, but I felt that it was a good write. Some kids don't stand a chance in life, and it's incumbent on all of us to try to rectify such tragedies. At the very least, we need to acknowledge the victims' pain and do what we can to help them heal. A little more empathy in this world would go a long way towards healing this world. Thanks again for appreciating my story. I really value and treasure your insights, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
05:56 Feb 23, 2023

"I liked the concept of using Fibonacci to tell an uncomfortable story so very hard to read yet, compelling drama. Brave to tackle a subject that challenges you to read it to completion." Delbert, what a sad topic, but so well told in a Fibonacci sequence. It was difficult reading through the abusive parts, but they were necessary to the story. Well done!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
08:51 Feb 23, 2023

LOL A Fibonacci review! Yes, a sad topic. I was thinking of Tess' plight in "Tess of the D'Urbevilles" when I wrote this. Thomas Hardy often wrote of people who just didn't stand a chance against what life did to them. I'm pleased that you appreciated the tale and that you found it worth reading to the end. I had a hard time writing it, but I had to see it through. Again, many thanks for the kind review, Chris. Truly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:53 Feb 22, 2023

We start with blood and silence, and we end with it. The pattern, with the single words, gives immense weight to those single words. We have a story of a child wronged tremendously, of unrepentant abusers. That she defends herself is understandable. But then what happens? She keeps on killing, far beyond need. Violence begets violence. Her mother said nobody wanted her because she was a murderer. Well, at the time that wasn't really true but it did prove to be the case. Was the mother's rejection yet another step down this path? Did the ...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
22:12 Feb 22, 2023

I'm pleased that you liked the weight of the single words. That makes me feel good. This tale leans towards nurture. A violent home life and then a perverted uncle did her in. The reform school didn't help matters any, nor did her lack of employable skills. I think that she finally had enough of men either beating her, raping her, or taking advantage of her for money. In the end, it got to be too much. I think of Thomas Hardy's "Tess of the D'Urbevilles." Tess ended up at the end of a rope as well, though she started life as an innocent. T...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
14:23 Feb 22, 2023

Del, when some awful things happen to a good person, and it sets a chain of events into motion that gathers momentum and never stops. Such is the case with this young girl. A series of unfortunate events. Only the preacher knows, but it's too late for her now. Moving and sombre. LF6.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
14:26 Feb 22, 2023

I channeled my inner Thomas Hardy for this one - Tess of the D'Urbevilles. It takes a village to raise a child - unless that village is full of abusive fathers and perverts. Some kids just never have a chance. Thanks again, Lilly. I appreciate you reading my stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
01:32 Feb 22, 2023

Wow, talk about really bringin' it back, when you bring it! This was incredible, Delbert, and not just for the mathematical sequence, of course, but ... well what can I say. A few lines made me sad and some made me mad, but all were woven so beautifully into this prompt - I'm glad to see you again!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
01:42 Feb 22, 2023

Thank you so much, Wendy. I really appreciate your comments, especially since I admire your writing so much. Yes, glad to be back , somewhat. Life, you know. The motherfucker gets in the way sometimes. Again, thank you. Truly.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
01:46 Feb 22, 2023

Absolutely my pleasure, always. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
16:13 Mar 04, 2023

Hi Delbert, What a fascinating take on the prompt. Especially, because the Fibonacci sequence is usually something identified with beauty in life and this piece is dealing with some very serious and ugly issues. I loved the way this story flowed and I desperately wanted to hold each of these characters. My favorite line was: She blamed it on drink and lack of coin, but she never blamed it on character.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
16:36 Mar 04, 2023

Thanks so much for the kind words and the nice review, Amanda. I appreciate it all the more, coming from an excellent writer like you. Yes, terrible issues, but ones that we need to be aware of. Our kids are our future, and they need a chance. Thanks again, Amanda. Truly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sonja Wallace
22:02 Mar 01, 2023

The lack of emotion of the main character seems mirrored in the shallow nature of the other key characters in the story. It's very scary and gave me the creeps. Excellent job!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
01:17 Mar 02, 2023

Thanks for liking my little tale, Sonja. It was meant to disturb. Unfortunately, things like this happened quite often, and I fear that they continue to happen. If we don't care about our children, then we are lost. Thanks again for the kind review. Cheers!

Reply

Sonja Wallace
09:20 Mar 02, 2023

Absolutely

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nathaniel Miller
02:07 Mar 01, 2023

Wow. What you've done here is incredible. Having a set number of words for each paragraph really forces you to use only the words that matter the most. This piece brilliantly fits the "saying what you need to in the fewest words necessary" category, maybe even defines it. The mc's struggles feel real, her destination well thought-out. A truly thought-provoking exploration of abuse and its consequences. The mc is so easy to root for, we so desperately want to like her, that her killing spree almost feels justifiable. The men who are sleep...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
07:18 Mar 01, 2023

Wow, thanks so much for the kind words and wonderful review, Nathaniel. I really appreciate that you understood the deeper themes of the story and the symmetry involved. Yes, the MC makes her murders feel almost justifiable; they are certainly justifiable to her. She really never had a chance in life, and that's the tragedy. Society and family failed this person, and that means that we all share in her demise. Thanks again, Nathan. I really appreciate you reading my little tale and commenting. Truly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:42 Feb 26, 2023

Incredible story! The form and function align nicely - the flatness of the character really underscores her despair and lack of options.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
22:47 Feb 26, 2023

Thank you so much, Madeline. Your kind words and nice review are truly appreciated. I write so that others can enjoy, on some level. Your review makes my day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
22:39 Feb 25, 2023

A dark story, well told in this format. Those short, sharp sentences to set the tone of the sections, the excellent closing lines...very nice.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
22:42 Feb 25, 2023

Thanks so much, Laurel. I appreciate the nice review. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
06:41 Feb 24, 2023

What a chilling, heartbreaking and blood curdling story! You did a good job with stirring up horror, anger and sadness in the reader, all the while sticking to the unalterable Fibonacci series - much like the downward spiral of the doomed girl. Well done,Delbert! Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
07:44 Feb 24, 2023

Thanks so much, Suma. Yes, it was a difficult write. Unfortunately, this is the plight of many kids: at the mercy of the whims of their caretakers. Our world can be so cruel at times. Again, thank you for the kind words and the nice review, Suma. I always love reading your tales, for they are unique and beautiful and comforting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.