The Author who has never been seen

Submitted into Contest #113 in response to: Write a story about a character who believes their dreams predict the future.... view prompt

6 comments

Kids Mystery Funny

Meet Mary Mollie , the author who has never been seen. No one knows why. It's a mystery, so it seems. She writes beautiful books about very up beat beautiful things.In her books you might find knights and kings sometimes even talking trees. But her favorite of all are the books written about little towns that live by the sea . Oh how she loves to dream about living by the sea. Everyone agrees, the books about the sea are the ones everyone loves to read . That is what she is famous for writing books about living by the sea. You see, her home life is very different from her books that people read. She lives down a dark and dreary road not too far out of town . In a place that not many people go. There's not a soul around just Mary Mollie and Sal . Sal is Mary Mollie’s fat, sometimes sassy cat. He can be a lazy cat ,and he likes to take lots of naps . Do not feed him chocolate he will go a little crazy. Sometimes chocolate even makes him a little sneezy and wheezy. Mary Mollie ‘s house is much too large for just her and a cat . It is definitely a little bit creepy. There’s actually bats living in the attic, so there’s lots of squeaking and squawking .The floors are squeaky and squashy, but Mary Mollie doesn’t mind. The old windows are worn and some are even broken. In the winter her house is cold, all because of that pesky draft. It's all because of those broken windows those things have got to go. Sometimes the water freezes. The ceilings are rotten and leaky ,But what can you do? Mary Mollie mostly lives in one room. A writing office tucked away in a back room. This is where she spends most of her day. She has a desk for writing .A lamp for lighting. The lamp flickers, but what can you do? It's an old house that is much too big for just two. Her writing supplies were all stacked neat in a corner. Paper in one box and pens in another. What more could a writer need? Oh yes, a computer that's what she will need. Her computer can be a pesky thing.It just dings,dings, and dings .You know it’s not just for sitting on a desk. She needs that thing . She types her stories fast with speed and never misses a key. Now that is accuracy. Ding, what’s that sound? Oh yes, the computer that pesky thing .It has an email all ready to read. Mary Mollie slowly sat in her chair , and very nervously clicked the email. Ms . Mary Mollie it said would you please come to our book signing meet and greet? It is at Seaside Books down by the shore, Signed Mrs Ann Newman, Seaside Bookstore. Mary Mollie looked down dim. She slowly typed no i will not attend your show but I do thank you so . She then very quickly clicked go. Mary Mollie always stayed inside .Once a day she would venture outside to check her mailbox to find out what was inside. Her yard wasn’t very inviting and she didn’t like to go. The grass just didn’t want to grow. She did all her shopping online but not for food . Her eating habits were rather bland . Plain oatmeal that's all you need to know . Let's move on, lunch is pretty much the same, lots of plain.Dinner things didn’t change just plain. She ate plain things because it gave her lots of energy. By the end of the day she was still typing speedy without missing a key . That is what you call accuracy. Taco and beans with a mocha latte to drink. That's a much better dinner I think ,but by the end of the day she would be snoozing away instead of typing away. Was she happy? No one knows. She spends all her days typing away writing books. That's how she makes her dough.You know dollars or you can just say money. Anyways She has quite the savings put away . Is it for a rainy day? She has that dream about living by the sea. With all that money maybe she will, we'll just have to wait and see.There's that computer ding, ding, ding ,ding. Wow, what a dream ! That was not me . Who would want to be Mary Mollie, the girl in my dream? She is so boring . I am Sarah Moody. I am fun and exciting! Although sometimes I do run low on energy. I must admit I can sometimes be quite lazy. I am famous for writing stories about dark scary things. In my books you will find goblins ,ghosts and all kinds of creepy things. Now those are the books that sell. I live in a condo that is rather small, but it's nice to live in a great big town. I do like the sea. Maybe I could see myself living in a tiny town by the sea. I have lots of friends but my best pal is Steve. Steve is a dog who never sleeps. Don’t feed him cheese, because it will sometimes make him sneeze. I do like cats, they are usually clean. Unlike a dog named Steve. I write mostly at the park . It's easier for me to write when there's plenty of fresh air to breathe . That’s until my allergies act up and make me sneeze. I have a computer. It’s kinda of a pesky thing. It constantly dings . It's usually emails for book signings and things. I very quickly reply and say yes I'll be there. That is until they take up all of my time. That's went there no longer fun, Steve agrees. There’s no time for the park or writing and don’t forget I have to take care of Steve. He likes to walk, run and play in the leaves. There’s no time for shopping or fun things. Shopping online just not for food that’s definitely not cool.That's when I don't like book signings and shows. I guess that's not hard to tell. My eating habits I probably shouldn’t tell . Believe me I can tell they're not that healthy at all. By the end of the day I have no energy and have to stop for a nap. I like grilled cheese with mocha latte to drink for breakfast,and that's all. Pizza with extra cheese and a mountain cola sometimes for lunch. It’s not the healthiest but I like it a bunch. A taco and beans with a sweet peach tea sounds like a nice dinner to me. Maybe that’s why I have no energy at the end of the day. I think my diet probably needs to change. Book signings all day with no time for me and Steve. That doesn’t sound fair to me or Steve.Ding, there’s that pesky computer let me see it’s an email . Seaside Bookstore It reads can you attend my meet and greet tomorrow at three signed Mrs. Ann Newman ,Seaside Bookstore. I very slowly sat in my chair then very nervously said no, i will not attend your show but thank you so.you know I’ve always heard your dreams can be like a portal to another world . only it’s your world. It’s a look into the future while you're standing in the past. Is Mary Mollie the future me ? You know I think I'll sell my condo . It cost way too much. I’ll move to the country to save some cash. I’ll begin putting it in a savings stash. I think I would like to buy a cute little house by the sea right next to the shore.In the meantime I’ll put all my hopes and dreams into books about living by the sea . I’ll write under the pen name Mary Mollie.

Jessica Robbins

(Mary Mollie Smith Marchbanks)

September 27, 2021 18:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

LR Hunter
18:23 Oct 07, 2021

Cute rhyming, reminds me of Dr. Seuss. Great ending I like how you connected the two identities.

Reply

Jessica Robbins
15:55 Oct 08, 2021

Thank you that is what i was going for.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Olivia Snead
23:19 Oct 06, 2021

I like your story. I like the character, Mary Mollie. I think the ending was quite a twist. It made me smile.

Reply

Jessica Robbins
01:14 Oct 07, 2021

Thank you Ma'am

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie B
11:37 Oct 03, 2021

Your story portrays some interesting ideas here. Very unique style.

Reply

Jessica Robbins
16:17 Oct 03, 2021

Thank You

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.