0 comments

Thriller Suspense Sad

“What was her name?” the short policeman asked in a stern but calm voice. 

“I don’t know! Everyone called her Blue!” I said, nervously shaking while the policeman asked all the questions about yesterday night. 

Yesterday afternoon, it was cold, with a slight breeze, so Blue, Jacob Godswell, and I sat inside for lunch. 

“Hey, guys! Would you guys like to come over to my house tonight to study for the English exam tomorrow?” Blue asked with a sweet, soft voice. Her smile was unordinary, for it shined as if an angel was there. She was wearing her favorite sky blue cardigan and some worn down blue tennis shoes. Her dirty blonde hair was flown over her shoulder and around her ear, and little freckles danced upon her face. 

I didn’t get how anyone could resist saying yes to that innocent little angel-like child, for I said, “Yes, I would love to come,” almost immediately. 

Jacob was a tall skinny boy with brown curly hair. He had black glasses and a green Avengers t-shirt on, with shorts and some sandals. He dressed as you would in the summer, but today, on December 17th, was far from the warmth of the summer to come. 

He merely said a simple, “yes,” before taking a deep sigh and looking at the glass window, seeing the breeze flowing through the leafless trees.

She smiled, and we could see her shining bright white teeth glow behind her pink lips, “Okay! Meet me at my house at 6 pm!”

The bell rang loud and clear as we all got up out of our cafeteria seats, grabbed our things, and headed for our separate classes. Mine was English. 

After our dreadful classes, we all went our separate ways home to start on our homework before 6. I, on the other hand, just wanted to take a nap. I could work on my homework when I got home. 

When I got home, I threw my shoes off my feet and ran upstairs as fast as possible to the small gray room I called my own. The sheets on my bed were white, with grey polka-dots. On the other side was a dark brown wooden desk, with two grey computers and a rainbow keyboard, not yet turned on.

I fell on my bed and fell asleep immediately, soon waking up to the buzzing of my phone. I woke up and rubbed my eyes. I checked the time on my new iPhone and read 6:19 pm. I jumped, feeling like I missed something as new text messages started to flash across my screen. Text messages from Blue and Jacob, asking, “Where are you?” flew at me like a bullet as I quickly realized I had overslept.

I raced down the stairs and out in a hurry. I had my phone in one hand and one sleeve of a jacket on, but no shoes. I soon realized that halfway through my run before stopping at Blue’s house. I arrived at 6:25 pm. 

“Where were you?” Blue asked, looking at me with a concerned look. She had put her luxurious hair in a messy bun and put on some glasses to help herself with all of the screentime she was putting in with studying. 

“Sorry,” I said, looking down so I could see her face, “I took a nap and overslept. What did you guys do without me?” I asked while walking in and putting my jacket by the brown wooden door. 

“Nothing much. We were eating nachos,” Blue said as Jacob gave me a small wave, and Blue pointed to the three bags of tortilla chips and some melted cheese in a bowl in the middle of the marble table. 

I sat down on the white cushioned chair in between Blue and Jacob, and Blue got out her rainbow-colored flashcards. She had decorated the cards with silver stars around the corners and rainbow dots in the words’ shape. She tested each one of us many times to make sure we knew all the vocabulary words that would be present on the test, and then we tested her. We got done in a matter of 30 minutes, and then we moved on to figurative language. Before we moved on, we all took a bathroom break and watched some YouTube videos. 

“I told my mom I would be back by 9 pm,” Jacob said while looking at the clock. He was very considerate about his curfews and never missed them. It was now 7:27 pm, and we were all gathered around in a circle watching cute cats do funny things. 

“Oh, okay! Then we should get started on the figurative language section. Wow. We’ve been watching videos for an hour. Why’d you guys let me get off topic!” said Blue jokingly. Her laugh was soft and cute. 

“Sorry!” I said, exchanging my laugh, but my laughter was rougher and deeper than hers, and in my opinion, sounded terrible. 

“It’s okay! I have to get a few things from my room. Do you guys want to come?” Blue asked; her smile was big, and she looked like she was enjoying herself enormously. 

“Yes! I would love to come, but I have to use the bathroom. I’ll meet you too up there?” I asked, getting up and stretching after sitting down for so long. 

“Sure,” Jacob said. He had a mischievous look on his face as he looked Blue up and down. He yawned deeply and started to follow Blue up the stairs. 

I walked into the tiled bathroom, did my business, and started to walk up the creaking stairs. A shiver ran down my back as I slowly opened the wooden door to her room. Inside was Jacob, on top of Blue, holding a pillow to her face. She was wriggling and screaming, and I didn’t know what to do. 

I tried to run over to save her, yelling at Jacob, “What are you doing?” but he didn’t answer. 

I tried to pull him away, but he was too strong. He kept pushing and pushing until she stopped wriggling. She stopped breathing. Only then did he relax his arms and let the pillow off her mouth. She was dead. 

“What the heck?!” I screamed. I couldn’t believe what just happened. Those once full of life, icy blue eyes, were now blank and stared into depths of the ceiling and above. Her once warm skin was now pale like paper and was as cold as the arctic. 

I watched as Jacob silently left the room. He walked down the stairs and out of the house. He did not look back once at me, Blue’s corpse, or anything else in the house. He opened the wooden door and walked out on the sidewalk and stared directly in front of him. He was not flinching or going any faster than previously. He was like a robot. 

I started to panic, walking around in circles. I ran down the stairs so fast I almost flew to call the police. I picked up the cream, shiny phone and dialed 911 as quickly as my fingers could move. I was sweating, shaking, and breathing heavily as someone answered the phone. 

“911, what’s your emergency?” a girl with a soft, gentle, calm voice answered. 

“I- I- my friend- dead- friend- killed-” I said. I could not put words together in any form of sentences, and I spoke very fast. 

“Hey. Calm down. It’s going to be alright,” she said in a reassuring voice, trying to make me feel calmer. 

“My- my friend killed my other friend. There’s now a corpse in her house, and I’m in her house, and I don’t know what to do. Please help me,” I whimpered, starting to cry. Blue was dead, and she was never coming back. 

“Okay. Someone will be there shortly. I need you to tell me the address of the house you are at,” she said. 

I told her the address, and the police were at the house, investigating in a matter of minutes. They wore all black jumpsuits and put caution tape all around the house. Her parents came home when the police arrived and were told to stay outside. I could see the tear starting to form in Blue’s mother’s eyes as they told her what happened. They took me out of the house and called my parents to come and pick me up. The police told me they would question me in the morning and get all the details. 

Tomorrow morning came around, and I was rushed to the police station for questioning. I arrived in a grey stone room, with no windows, an ample, bright light, a metal desk, two chairs, and a small man with a black mustache. 

“So tell me,” he said in a stern but calm voice, “What happened yesterday afternoon?” 

I answered. I told him all the details of what happened that night—not leaving a single one out, even if it made me sound suspicious. It took me a full 30 minutes to finish the story, and I watched him put his hands together and sigh. 

“Well, kid, we have no evidence of any murder that took place yesterday at her house. There are no fingerprints on her body and no types of cuts or marks anywhere. We could take your word, but that might mean putting an innocent child in jail. We can’t do that. We will have to put her down as suicide, since, she might’ve killed herself for all we know. I’m really sorry we couldn’t help you, kid; we will ask Jacob in for testing and gather any evidence we can so see if this is a murder. Let me ask you a few questions first.”

“Okay,” I said, disappointed that there was no evidence, and they couldn’t take my word for it. 

“What was her name?” the short policeman asked in a stern but calm voice. 

November 14, 2020 02:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.