The Princess's Amulet

Submitted into Contest #211 in response to: Begin your story with a librarian searching for something.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

I can’t believe that I’m locked in a wrestling match with my computer's mouse, as I search desperately for a new job. The screen is frozen, refusing to let the silly little arrow budge, disallowing me to continue my miserable search in peace.

The library I've poured my heart and soul into for the past decade is getting the boot, making room for yet another mall. You know, because the world definitely needs more places to buy discounted socks.

Disgruntled, I push myself off the chair to pour myself a glass of wine. I look around my shoebox of a flat. It's half covered in the books I managed to salvage. I always loved books. They are filled with extraordinary places I could never visit and incredible people I could never be. I always thought that one day, I too would be an architect of worlds where rich and wonderful characters could be brought to life. Inspiration never came though. Not even when I took this decade-long temp job.

I turn around, to get back to the computer and resume the job search, only for a box to come tumbling down, upending its contents on the floor.

Oh great!

I slam my glass down and kneel to tidy up the little mess. As I pile the books back into the box, I see something shiny, peeking beneath an open book. 

It’s an amulet. A great blue stone encased in a silver frame. I pick it up and lift it up to my face. As it spins, the light of the rooms seems to trap itself within the stone and strange markings appear in the frame. Frowning, I put it away and return to my search, pouring myself another glass of wine. 

The night wears on, and the fruitless search continues. The battle of my computer, had ended with the cursor’s freedom. I pick up the wine bottle and it's empty. With a long sigh, I look around, my eyes falling on the amulet. I reach out and pick it up again. 

You know, these markings seem familiar. Alas, the book where I have seen them is not amongst the ones I have here with me. It had been an old dusty book no one cared about and would likely be destroyed in the demolition. 

I turn back to my computer. 

Customer Service Officer wanted

Office Assistant wanted.

Was this really the life I wanted? 

Suddenly I’m on my feet again, grabbing the amulet, my keys and my jacket as I race to the door. I make my way to the library. The moonlight pours in through the window, providing a soft light. I make my way through the chaotic mess of discarded books, and clamber up the stairs. You would think that a book like that would stand out but this library collected the good, the bad and the really weird big books. Aided by the flashlight on my phone, I forage through the dusty old books. 

Just when I am beginning to think that this whole adventure is yet another waste of my time…I find it. With its odd markings and everything. Holding the amulet up against the book cover, the symbols move again, and I gasp as the symbols on the book rearrange themselves into words I can actually read.

"The Storm ends as it begins," I whisper. As soon as the words leave my lips, a dazzling blue light bursts from the amulet, flooding the library with its brilliance. The pages of the old book spring to life, flipping rapidly, conjuring a fierce wind that sweeps through the great building.

My phone slips from my grasp and crashes to the floor, drowned out by the chaos around me. I clutch onto a shelf, struggling against the gusts. Shielding my eyes from the blinding light, I stumble toward the stairs, each step a battle against the relentless wind.

With a sudden jolt, my foot catches on something, and I go hurtling forward. Pain explodes as my head collides with the railing, and the bizarre scene fades into darkness

I wake up beneath the stars, with the library nowhere in sight. All around me are trees, stretching tall and proud towards the brightly lit heavens, their leaves forming a vibrant canopy overhead. Slowly I rise to my feet looking around in confusion. 

Damn, that was a nasty hit to my head. Where am I? Am I dreaming?

As I try to collect my thoughts and senses, the ground is suddenly shaken by galloping. I twist around to see a horse racing toward me, its powerful strides kicking up leaves and dirt in its wake. It comes to a halt and a man swiftly dismounts from the saddleless back.

He strides over to me, his gaze locking onto mine. "Are you hurt?" he asks, his voice carrying genuine concern.

I shake my head.

He studies me closely.

"You’re dressed oddly.” he says, "where are you from?”

“London” I answer.

“London?” he repeats, “what kingdom is that?.”

I stared at him in confusion. “Uninted Kingdom I guess” 

He mirrored my expression.

“Who are you?” I ask, “where is this?”

“Just a few miles from the kingdom of Stormhaven” the man says, “And my name is Kalric.”

The Kingdom of Stormhaven?. 

I pad myself down, searching for my phone and then I remember I lost it in the library. A library which is nowhere in sight. If I was dreaming, this was definitely a nightmare.

“What’s that?” Kalric asks suddenly as a I adjust my jacket. I follow his gaze, looking down to see the amulet clasped around my neck and peeking out of the jumper.

“Oh this -” I begin.

“By the spirits!” Kalric exclaims in a loud whisper, “You’re the princess aren’t you? Princess Helena! I thought you deadI”

I blink, frowning in confusion.

“Princess who?” I say, “no, my name is Jennifer. I’m a librarian…or well I was…”

“That amulet around your neck bears the seal of the Storm family,” Kalric declares, “until the Drods took over, they ruled Stormhaven in peace, and protected it with their white magic. 

“Look,” I say, “I’m not this Princess Helena, I’m a boring unemployed Librarian with a drinking problem. Trust me, if I could do magic I would snap myself into a less pathetic life.”

“But the amulet…” Kalric insists.

“Is just a piece of junk I found.”

Kalric seems unconvinced. He briskly walks to his horse and soon returns. He holds out a clasp and hands it to me. I take it reluctantly.

“What’s this.”

“The badge of my office.” he says. “I was a soldier in the royal army. 

Sighing I lift the clasp up to the starlight and I sonn see what Kalric is referring to. The symbol on the amulet is the same one on his badge. 

“Ever heard of a coincidence?” I say to him. 

He frowns at me, “why do you deny who you are princess? Do you also fear the Drods. Legend says that the power of the amulet would protect you. It is likely what kept you safe after your family was murdered. Everyone thought you dead.”

Suddenly his eyes widen, as though something new has just occurred to him “Or do you lie about who you are to conceal yourseld. I assure you, I am your trusted servant.”

He kneels before me and takes my hand bowing his head.  A soft tingle travels from my hand up my arm and I blush. Slowly, I withdraw my hand.

“I’m not your princess,” I whisper, “just a boring librarian who’s lost.”

“Then why are you here?”

“Why are you?” I retort. “If you’re so loyal, what are you doing here.”

“The people suffer,” Kalric says, “I left to find help, and I thought I actually did.”

He gives me a dark look and turns away. 

I hesitate. I certainly don’t want to be left alone in this strange forest. But Kalric has already ridden away. Breathing heavily, I race through the distance in hopes of catching up with him. 

I hear a muffled cry in the distance. Tiptoeing through the trees, I follow the sound and come to a clearing. Kalric is on the ground, his horse slain and surrounded by tall figures clad in black armor from head to toe. They speak in a strange language amongst themselves and their words seem to give rhythm to black flames that twist themselves around Kalric.

Drods?

My heart hammers against my chest as I watch in horror as Kalric is bound and taken away. Quietly I follow, keeping a good distance behind. The trees thin out, and forest is left behind to reveal  a narrow winding road. I follow the trail left behind by Kalric’s captives which leads to what must be Stormhaven. 

Small stone houses line either side of the road with larger buildings here and there. Up ahead, a great castle looms overhead and Kalrics captives soon disappear behind its towering gates with their prisoner. 

Whatever this Stormhaven is, its people are indeed suffering. Many sat guant, thin, covered in sore sand dressed in rags, begging passers by for scraps of food. Few gathered together, wailing about their misfortunes. 

I make my way into a small pub and take a seat in the corner

“Did you see” one woman says miserably, “they captured Kalric. All hope is lost.”

“What help would be have found?” a barman retorts, “everyone fears the Drods, even more now that the Storms are gone.”

“I still can’t believe they are all gone,” a man says, “I have heard whispers that amulet lives on.”

“The princess’s amulet? Could she be alive?”

“Her body was never found.”

“Neither was the prince’s”

“Prince Logan always dabbled with the black” the barman said, “it destroyed him.”

“But if indeed the princess lives,” the first woman said, “then where is she? Where is this great magic amulet? Why does she live us to suffer at the hands of the Drods.”

I slowly shove my amulet under my jumper and slip out through the side door. I realise that I am drawing attention due to my odd clothes, but they all seem too overwhelmed by their own misfortunes to be overly bothered by the woman in odd clothes. Up ahead, I find a line of washing waiting for the sun. Still damp, I nab a dress, and a bonnet and duck beneath a tree to change. 

As I fold my things away, I come across Kalric’s clasp. I hadn’t realised that I had held on to this. Suddenly I feel inspired, as my eyes light up with a new and frankly, dangerous idea. 

I make sure that the amulet is safely tucked away out of sight before putting my bold and perhaps dumb plan into motion. 

I make my way further down the road until I come to the large black castle gates. 

“What business brings you here,” the gatekeeper spits at me.

“I come to see my cousin,” I say, “he was arrested today.”

He glances at me briefly and the gates are thrown open. A guard appears gestures for me to follow. As we enter the castle, all warmth fades away leaving behind a chilling cold. Our footsteps echo as we descend the long spiraling steps. 

He guides me through the dungeons, filled with cramped cells and hungry-eyed prisoners stretching bony arms through the bars. At the end of the row, in the last cell, I spot Kalric crouched on the floor. As I approach, he lifts his head, and his eyes light up at the sight of me.

"You've got three minutes," the guard informs before leaving. We wait until his footsteps fade before we speak

“What are you doing here?” Kalric demands.

“Is that anyway to speak to your rescuer?”

“You claim not to be the princess.”

“And I stand by that claim,” I tell him, “but it doesn’t mean I can’t help.”

“Well whatever you want to do, “ Kalric says with a sigh, “you’ll have to do it without me. I’m trapped.”

"Perhaps not," I reply, winking. Swiftly, I extract a hairpin from beneath my bonnet, letting a loose curl fall across my face as I bend over the lock.

"I picked up this trick from a favourite book," I explain.

After a few attempts, a satisfying click resounds, and the door swings open. Kalric's stare shifts from astonishment to an immense grin that lights up his face.

“You are the princess!” he declares.

“I really am not,” I insist. He attempts to leave his cell but I raise a hand to stop him and whisper my little plan to him. To be honest, I am making it up as I go along but he nods, in understanding and backs away.

"Time's up!" the guard's voice announces his return. He approaches the door, and Kalric abruptly yanks it, forcing it against him. With my bonnet,  I pounce muffling his cries, while Kalric secures his neck in a hold until he slumps unconscious. Together, we swiftly strip off his clothes, boots, and helmet.

Kalric peels off his tunic, unveiling a broad chest and sculpted stomach. Yet, his thin arms betray the toll of his own hunger. Swiftly, he dons the guard's attire, while I dress the unconscious guard in his tunic before we hurry out of dungeon.

This plan is going quite well…

Or not. We are surrounded.

“They must have sensed it,” Kalric says, “The Drods are full of black magic.”

"Indeed we are," one of them confirms. Adorned in black armor, his voice carries a shadowy tone as he whispers strange words. Their hands move in harmony, conjuring dark flames that creep toward us. But something even stranger happens: . A brilliant blue light, materializes like a shield from the amulet, repelling the black flames and causing them to writhe, stumble, and dissolve into faint wisps of smoke upon the ground.

“She bears the amulet,” the drod said. “How could it be?” 

He whispers words again in a strange language as he unsheathes a jagged sword. 

Kalric seizes the guard's sword, readying himself to confront them, yet they utter their peculiar words again, and he collapses to the ground, contorting in agony. 

Instinctively, I lunge for the sword. In a fluid motion, I strike. Engaging in an unfamiliar choreographed dance, I kick, punch, and slice with an unexpected mastery, and one by one, they falter and fall before me.

I stare wide eyed at the sword in my hands then down at the amulet. How on earth did I do that?

“She is strong,” said the first drod, “she must be”

“We shall see” came a voice from behind. 

I jump in fear as I find myself face-to-face—or rather, face-to-waist—with a towering seven-foot-tall drod.

“Dronan” the other drods chant, bowing their heads. 

Dronan raises his hand, yet the amulet counters his wordless spells. His helmet's eye slits darken. Gradually, he raises a lengthy sword, twirling it in the air. With a powerful swoosh, he lunges toward me, and I bolt. 

As I run across the wide halls, he pursues at a steady pace, his boots slamming against the stone floor with each terrorizing step. Whatever hidden combat skills the amulet had granted me earlier, they seemed absent now. Just in the nick of time, I pivot to block a blow aimed at my head.

If this is a dream, this would be a really good time to wake up.

Nothing. Again. 

I continue running for mylife trying with all my might to protect myself with the sword. 

Dronan’s pursuit leads me to a narrow room where five stone seats are erected. . 

“Ah yes” Dronan said, “take a good look princess. The Storms will meet their end today.”

His words stir something in my memory. I pause and look down at the amulet. The markings, the symbol of the Storms. The words.

"The storm ends as it begins," I whisper once more. As before, the brilliant blue light erupts from the Amulet, filling the room and engulfing Dronan. His scream pierces the air as he collapses to the floor, his shattered armor clattering around him.

Suddenly a warmth fills the room, and soon after, Kalric hurries inside. 

“They are gone” he said, “the drods are…”

He trails off, his gaze locked onto Dronan. Yet, the figure within the shattered armor isn't Dronan. he couldn't be more than six feet tall. Gradually, he stirs, opening his lids to unveil piercing blue eyes.

“Prince Logan?” Kalric said, “You’re alive!”

The prince slowly rises to his feet, shoulders slumped

“What have I done?” he cries.

“What do you mean?” I ask.

“I did this,” the prince said, “Please forgive me sister. I delved too deep and Dronan consumed me. He - I killed our parents and I thought you dead too. But you carry the Storm.”

“You mean this amulet?” I ask.

“Yes,” Prince Logan said, falling to his knees. “Please forgive me. I wanted power. But I never earned it. You deserve to rule.”

“But…”

“Princess Helena,” Kalric said, “you cannot deny your destiny now. Not after you have defeated Dronan and the drods. Please. Will you not take your place as the ruler of Stormhaven? 

I sigh. Perhaps I wasn’t destined for a life of boredom after all. It couldn’t be bad being this Princess Helena. 

And that’s when it happens. 

I wake up with my cheek pressed up against my computer keys. I’m back in my jumper, sitting in my chair, with the empty glass and wine bottle beside me. 

So it really was all a dream. 

I stare at the job notices on the screen, before closing the page with a little smile. I open a word document and at the top of the page, I type, The Princess’s Amulet. Bursting with my newly found inspiration, I fire away.

August 19, 2023 01:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.