0 comments

Science Fiction Adventure Fantasy

As the spacecraft entered the atmosphere, it shuddered, causing Theodora’s pencil to veer sharply off the page where she was writing. She cursed softly and quickly moved to erase the errant line. The lights in the analytics lab flickered momentarily as the spacecraft shuddered again.

“Damn, you’d think they’d know how to keep the flight smooth,” remarked her partner, Henry.

“I know,” replied Theodora, keeping her eyes on the papers she was gathering. “But they always want newbies to practice entering the atmosphere, so they let them try on these expedition flights.”

He shrugged. “Oh well. Are you running those up to the launch team?”

“Yes,” Theodora said, “I’m just reviewing the data.”

“You know you don’t have to do that,” Henry commented. 

“I know,” Theodora waved him off. “But sometimes the team is moving too fast, and I don’t want them to miss anything.”

Henry nodded and turned away, rolling his swivel chair to the other side of the desk where they worked. Theodora turned back to her papers, meticulously flipping through them and writing down her own calculations. With one last stroke of her pencil, she stopped, her eyes flicking between the data and her own calculation.

They didn’t match.

She ran them again, carefully ticking out her equation and crunching the numbers. They were still off. She ran them again. Still, they differed. Theodora’s heart raced as she looked down at the papers gripped tightly in her hands. The research expedition to the unknown planet was about to set out, and she had to deliver these. Soon.

“Look Henry,” she said urgently, swiveling over to the other side of their desk where he sat, running numbers of his own. “The coordinates for the drop zone are incorrect. They’re sending the launch team to a hot zone, a dangerous area with hostile wildlife and treacherous terrain. The team could be killed if they start their mission there.”

Henry’s brow furrowed as he examined the papers. “You’re right, Thea,” he agreed, using her nickname. “This is a serious mistake. You need to tell someone immediately. Aren’t you taking these to Mr Thompson so he can present them to the launch team?”

Theodora nodded, her heart racing with anxiety as she thought about her boss and his sour outlook on interns. She had been overlooked and dismissed due to her position for too long. But she had worked hard, dedicating herself to the team and the research program, and she knew her worth. She wouldn’t back down when he challenged her. The teams safety was on the line.

Pushing back from the table, she got up, gathered the papers in a. Neat stack and headed for the team’s departure point. She beeped herself through the set of sliding glass doors that led out into the main hallway. Once there, she broke into a run, unsure of how much time she would have to plead her case and show the results of the data.

Theodora sprinted up to the main deck, taking the connecting stairwell down to the launch site. The bustling scene was alive with activity as worked readied the crafts to descend onto the unexplored planet’s surface. Technicians checked off lists, inspected spacecrafts, and made final preparations. She spotted her supervisor, Mr. Thompson, among the launch team, tapping his foot impatiently. Theodora called out, attempting to catch his attention.

“Mr. Thompson!” She exclaimed, as she rushed towards him.

He turned with an indifferent glance, demising her presence. “What is it Theo?” He asked curtly, getting her name wrong again. “Do you have the papers? We’re about to depart.”

With a deep breath, Theodora gathered her courage. “There’s an error in the data, sir,” she said firmly. “The drop zone coordinates are incorrect. We’re being sent to a hazardous hot zone/“

Mr Thompson scoffed. “You’re just an intern, Theo,” he replied condescendingly. “Your role is to deliver coffee and hand papers to important people, not double-check our work.”

For a moment, doubt flickered in Theodora’s mind. Despite her hard work and dedication, she had always remained modest and never allowed herself to boast about her brilliance. However, she knew deep down that she was right. 

With unwavering determination, she did something uncharacteristic of her. She stood her ground.

“My name is Thea,” she emphasized the “a”, “and I’m telling you that you need to review the data one last time. I’m confident you’ll find that there is an error.”

Before Mr. Thompson could respond, a team member from the launch stepped forward. He was tall and wearing the standard suite for the eminent descent into the unknown planet. Theodora racked her brain for his name: Marcus. He had been eavesdropping on their conversation.

“What’s going on?” He asked, intrigued.

“Nothing,” Mr. Thompson dismissed again, “just another intern trying to prove themselves.”

Ignoring him, Theodora addressed Marcus directly. “I double checked the equations, sir, and there’s an error.” She held up the papers in her hands.

Marcus raised a brow, curious. “Julian, let’s recheck the data just to be certain,” he said with a note of finality. “If she’s wrong there’s no harm, no foul. But if she’s right, we’ll need to adjust our course immediately.”

Reluctantly, Mr. Thompson complied, accepting the paperwork from Theodora’s outstretched hands. He let them back to the analytics lab, with Marcus keeping pace. Theodora followed behind them closely. As they passed through the sliding glass doors, she caught Henry’s eye. He gave her a questioning look, his gaze shifting to Mr/ Thompson’s scowling face. However, Theodora only shrugged, uncertain about what was going to happen next.

Mr. Thompson strode purposefully to the center of the room, where a large computer hummed to life at his touch. Theodora adverted her eyes as he typed in his credentials, her pulsequickerning with anticipation. With a few clicks of the mouse, he brought up the data gathered for the launch tea, and Bega inputting calculations from the papers in front of him. The team waited with bated breath as the computer performed its analysis.

In a matter of moments, the truth was revealed. A critical error in the data was highlighted in bold, angry letters on the screen. Mr Thompson blinked in disbelief at the screen.

Marcus turned to Theodora with a nod of gratitude. “Well done, Thea,” he said, sincerity ringing in his voice. “Your keen eye saved us from a potentially disastrous situation. You’ve proven yourself to be an invaluable member of this team.”

Theodora blushed at the praise, feeling the heat creeping up her neck. Her fellow peers in the analytics lab glanced at one another, and a slow clap started from somewhere in the back of the room until everyone was clapping.

“Enough,” barked Mr. Thompson. “Everyone, get make to making the final preparations. I expect a full comb through of all the data to make sure nothing else was missed.”

He turned to Theodora, who stood beside Marcus. “A word, my office,” he commanded.

Theodora followed Mr. Thompson to his small office in the back of the analytics lab, her heart racing with apprehension. As they entered the room, he motioned for her to take a seat in one of the chairs in front of his desk. He closed the door firmly behind him and rounded the desk, sitting down and folding his hands together.

“First of all,” he began, “I want to personally congratulate you on your catch.”

Theodora was taken aback, but stayed silent.

He sighed, and ran a hand over his face. “Second of all, I owe you an apology.”

“Sir, that’s not—”

“It is necessary,” he interrupted. Leaning forward he continued, “I dismissed your input without even considering it just because you are an intern.”

Theodora nodded, understanding.

“That was a miscalculation on my own part,” he admitted, a small smiling lifting the corners of his mouth. “I myself was an intern once, dismissed and ignored even when there were situations where I had input that needed to be heard.” He sighed. “I was forced to stand up for myself too. As such, you are part of this team and your opinions and insights matter just as much as anyone else’s. I should have listened to you from the beginning.”

Theodora smiled faintly, feeling a weight lift off her shoulders. “Thank you, sir. I appreciate it.”

Mr. Thompson nodded. “Now, I have the best team of analytical scientists, and not a single one of them managed to double-check their work. In light of that, your level of attention to detail is not something to go unnoticed.”

Theodora shifted in her chair, heart pounding in her chest. “As such, I understand that your intern contract is lasting in a few months. I would like you to know that I will personally be putting in a recommendation to have you as a permanent addition to our team.”

Theodora was stunned, a smile slowly spreading across her face. “Thank you, sir. I would be honored to continue working with this team.”

Mr. Thompson nodded, the corners of his expressionless face softening slightly. “Good. Now, let’s get back to work. We have a launch to prepare for.”

Rising to her feet, she pushed the chair back. Mr. Thompson moved to the door and held it open for her. She walked out with her head held high. Many of the other analytical members glanced at her, their faces stitched with worry. They glanced between Theodora and Mr. Thompson, then turned back to their work. When she finally took her seat next to Henry, he swiveled his chair over to her.

“Did he rip you a new asshole?” He hissed, his eyes sparkling with worry.

Theodora grinned, shaking her head. “No, not at all. In fact, he all but offered me a permanent position on the team.”

Henry’s mouth fell open in surprise, and then it was his turn to grin.

“That’s amazing! Congratulations, Thea. You deserve it.”

Thank you,” she replied, blushing at the compliment as it washed over her. She had been worried that Mr. Thompson was going to tear her apart for stepping out of line, but instead, he had given her an incredible opportunity and recognized her diligent work. Pride welled in her chest as she allowed herself, for the first time, to truly be proud of all the hard work and dedication she had poured into her job.

Henry was right. She did deserve the possible promotion and the praise. As they returned to their work, Theodora couldn’t help but feel a mix of hope and gratitude swirling and mixing in her chest at the chance to continue to work with the analytical team all due to her meticulous nature. She glanced at Henry, hoping that his strengths would have a chance to shine and he would have a shot at staying too.

Picking up her pencil and fixing her eyes on her work, she felt ready to tackle whatever challenges lay ahead, knowing that her accomplishment today was only the start.

April 28, 2023 15:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.