22 comments

Contemporary Fiction Inspirational

First, everyone was needling me to figure out what the jars were for, and now I’m being written up because of them.

I sit in the HR office with the HR lady, the charge nurse, and my boss, Mrs. Stevens, who’s the head of custodial services. Everything is done by committee at the retirement community where I work in the assisted living wing, so it’s going to take a committee to decide to fire me.

Mrs. Stevens has a face like a billboard, advertising disapproval. She is not about to have the reputation of her cleaning staff sullied by the likes of me, a nineteen-year-old straight out of high school. The HR lady is so invisible I can’t even remember her name. The charge nurse looks like a pudding, but she’s the one who gets right to business.

“Melinda, why don’t you explain the incident in your own words,” she begins, pudgy fingers hovering over her tablet, ready to tap out her indictment. Mrs. Stevens just stares at me, indictment mentally already signed, sealed, and delivered.

“OK,” I start. “Umm, Miss. Amber moved into the assisted living wing a couple of months ago and it was my job to clean her apartment once a week. She’s in 2B by the sunroom. She has a really nice collection of art.”

“I thought the issue here was the collection of jars,” the HR lady butts in, her voice like a ghost that got locked in a closet.

“Yeah. I mean, yes. She also had these jars, but not like vintage jars. Just empty food jars on a shelf in her bedroom.”

“Food jars?”

We are a pretty high-end facility, full of rich old people, so the shelf of empty food jars installed in Miss. Amber’s bedroom was more than unusual.

“They were special to her but were just ordinary food jars, covered with dust.”

Mrs. Stevens sniffs. The idea of dust in her facility will end up being my fault, I can just tell. Wondering about those jars drove us all nuts though. They were clear glass containers with faded labels, the lids dipped in wax to seal them beyond any hope of an inquisitive peek. Was something invisible stored in them? Some mystical fragrance?  What were we to make of an elegant old woman in her eighties, upright and polished to a glossy sheen like a lot of rich people, her silver hair nicely coiffed, her attire costly, who always wore a string of pearls but also had a collection of empty food jars?

“The first time I went to clean her apartment,” I continue, “she was very gracious. She didn’t look at me like she thought I was going to take her stuff or break it—” Here I pause, trying not to cry. “I really didn’t mean to—”

“Please just tell us what happened,” the charge nurse cautions, fingers twitching.

“Yes, ma’am. She asked me to be careful with the jars, that I wasn’t to dust them or anything.”

“Really?” Mrs. Stevens challenges, both eyebrows on her billboard lifted in doubt.

 “She said they should “stay just as they are.” I make finger quotes.

They share unspoken disapproval with each other while I think about how politely Miss A. had said it, not like some of the residents who issue decrees in crotchety voices that telegraph preemptive displeasure. She was nice, not in a warm and fuzzy way, more in a well-mannered and controlled sort of way. The type of lady to never make a scene. Or have a collection of weird jars.

I wanted to ask about them, but it doesn’t pay to be too nosy. Anyway, I forgot about them the second I spotted the Andrew Wyeth. It was an original, a landscape through a window framed with lace curtains as thin as gossamer that seemed to billow right into the room.

“Mostly we talked about her art collection,” I explain. “She was a gallery owner and had some fantastic pieces.”

“I don’t understand how her art collection ties into the incident under discussion,” the charge nurse inserts.

No, I think to myself, you wouldn’t. When Miss. A. saw me staring at that Wyeth, she asked if I liked it, and when I could only stammer inarticulately about the thready lines of the curtains, she said, “This painting frees me. There is a bleakness to the view, yes, but isn’t that true of life? Yet the wind is blowing fresh and clean. Here in this wing, where I cannot open the windows but a crack, it is my breath of fresh air.”

I was so jealous in that moment, of Wyeth’s talent and of Miss. A owning it. The whole reason I have this job is because I want to go to college to study art, but no way can we afford it. My foster parents work hard, but college is so expensive. I applied to every scholarship I could find, and it was never enough. That’s why I’m working here.

And there I was looking at an original Wyeth with someone talking about it exactly the way I felt, like there was bleakness in my world, but the window was open to a breeze of hope.

The following week I asked about a painting of ballerinas in those the long tutus, not the tutus that make the dancer look like a torso on a plate. I figured it was a Degas. She smiled and said kindly, “Many people think that.” Which was her way of graciously letting me know I wasn’t the only dumbass to make that mistake. “It’s by a German artist, Oppler. They are both impressionists, of course, but see here, the softer colors, almost blurred, like snow falling gently on a still evening. It feels calmer than the Degas, some of which, to me, have a tortured quality. I am made a bit too aware of the suffering of the poor young models….”

And there it was, a tiny crack in the beautiful veneer of grace, poise, and wealth. She seemed to have everything, but something sharp was hiding in there. It made me like her a little.

In the weeks that followed, we discussed her Monet and his use of light. Her face glowed when she talked about it, like the light was reflecting inside her, freeing her from the cage of her body.  We analyzed a painter I’d never heard of called Aivazovsky, and she showed me how he captured the wildness of the sea. When she spoke, that same wildness filled her, like she was really a naiad living in disguise among humans.

As far as I was concerned, I had hit paydirt, someone with a curated collection and the expertise to give me a one-on-one tutorial. I forgot about the jars.

One day, she greeted me with a large canvas still wrapped in paper. “I got this out of storage for you. I thought you might like it.” She looked a bit breathless, as if she had just sprinted down from the storage locker with it herself. “Go ahead, unwrap it,” she urged, like I was a kid on Christmas morning. I pulled back the paper carefully, the way my foster mom makes us do with presents so that we can reuse the wrapping paper. Then I leaned it up against the sofa back and stepped away.

It was a gentle family scene. “Mary Cassatt,” I said confidently.

“Well done! Now, tell me how you feel looking at it.”

I studied it, conscious that I was supposed to be cleaning her apartment, but also that she kept it so clean, and had so few knickknacks, that it wouldn’t take me long. Particularly since I didn’t have to dust the jars.

“Safe,” I answered. “The mother and children are close. The greenery behind them provides a sense of being surrounded by life and growth. It’s very comforting.”

“Does it remind you of your own home?”

“It does. When my sister and I would fight, my foster mom would sit us down like that and read to us. I felt warm, secure.”

I caught sight of our faces in the mirror above the sofa, hers lined but controlled and confident, mine smooth but clueless and insecure. Yet as she studied the piece, her face darkened, filling with a sadness so deep it was bottomless. It felt awkward witnessing whatever private pain was drowning there.

Later, as I shoved the vacuum over the pristine white carpet, creating a monochromatic Mondrian, I thought about that sorrow.  I remembered the comment she’d made about the tortured ballet dancers of Degas. I paused at the mysterious jars, still wearing their furry top hats of dust, and had a feeling they offered a clue if I could read them the way she’d been showing me to do with the art. The jar on the left was larger than the others, with a blue and gold label that read Best Foods Mayonnaise. In the middle were more jars with brands I didn’t recognize like Clapp’s Baby Food, Frank’s Peanut Butter, Lunch Box Sandwich Spread, and a bunch of pickle jars. Then they got fancy, sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, and caviar in a jar shaped like a little dollop of gel.

My insightful reading of this installation revealed only that they were arranged old to new, plain to fancy, size intermixed, all sealed with wax. I couldn’t begin to guess what it meant.

She wasn’t there the following week when I cleaned. So of course, I screwed up.

I picked up one of the jars. I’d gotten Pledge on my gloves and the jar shot through my fingers like they’d been buttered and jetted down to shatter on the vacuum cleaner. I heard myself gasp and then an echo of my gasp came from the door. I spun around to face Miss. A. who stood there, her face whiter than that stupid carpet. She let out a keening wail and the elegant, polished façade shattered as jaggedly as the mayonnaise jar. The life seemed to suck out of her, her face crumpling like a used tissue. As if she’d been punched, her body caved in on itself, and she dropped to the carpet, curling into the corner.

Her thin keening didn’t stop the whole time, high-pitched and weirdly child-like in quality.

It was god-awful. I ran over thinking she’d been cut by flying glass, or at the very least, broken bones falling like that. When I reached out to touch her shoulder, her hands shot up to shield her head and she flinched away as though my fingers burned.

I was freaking out. I needed to get help, but I also didn’t want to get in trouble; I really need this job; it pays better than anything else around. “Miss A, I’ll replace it. I didn’t mean to drop it. Really. I am so so sorry.”

She flinched again, and that’s when I pulled back and really looked, like she’d taught me how to do. I wasn’t witnessing grief over a precious keepsake being broken. The strange, curled posture and plaintive cries of a child coming from this old person was something else entirely. And I’d seen it before. My foster brother Tim had been like that when he’d first come.  The least little thing would happen, and he’d curl up, protecting himself, terrified. I knew why.

“Miss A,” I said. “They can’t hurt you here.” I spoke as firmly and authoritatively as I could. I waited and I repeated it. Then I touched her knee very lightly and said it again.

The thin crying began to fade.

“Please let me help you up. It’s not good to be on the floor.”

I got her to the edge of the bed where she sat, her feet dangling a little, her haunted eyes seeking out the shards on the floor. As her breathing began to calm, she seemed to be putting together the pieces of herself. “I expect you’ll want to know why I got so upset over a silly jar.” She swiped her elegant fingers under her eyes.

“Not my business, Miss A. But if you want to tell me, I’ll listen.”

“No need to bring all that up again after all these years.” She tried a little laugh, a brave tremor of sound that just made me sad.

I decided to wait this one out, like I used to do with Tim.

“You’re a foster child, aren’t you?” she asked at last.

I nodded.

“And your foster parents are good people?”

“Yes. Wonderful.”

“And your parents?”

“I was only three when they died in an accident. What I remember was loving.”

“That is good, then.”

I waited, listening to the muted drone of a soap opera from next door.  If Mr. Preston down the hall was going to have a hissy fit that I was late cleaning his apartment, then too damn bad.

Finally, she straightened, touched the pearls at her throat, and said, “My mother was not good people. She was a bad woman, damaged herself of course. The neighbor found me out in the woods behind our house when he was hunting. I was so badly injured I needed to be hospitalized. I wouldn’t cooperate, wouldn’t let the nurses touch me, had nightmares. Finally, one young nurse brought in that mayonnaise jar. She told me to put all my fear and my hurt into that jar. When I did, she sealed it up, and when I said someone would open it and all the bad would come out, she melted a red crayon over the lid so I could be sure no one opened it. It worked. I calmed down, and when my bones healed, the town came and fostered me out.”

“Nowadays they would say repressing emotions like that is a bad thing,” I said cautiously, my psychological training being restricted to an elective I took in high school.

“Oh yes, they would. But it worked for that little girl. And for the little girl I would remain through a variety of questionable foster homes. And for the young woman who ended up in prison.”

The surprise pretty much fell out of my face. She lifted her shoulders slightly. “I made a poor choice in a husband whose financial shenanigans landed me in the klink, as they say. The prison years are in the pickle jars. Because I was in a pickle.” She actually smiled at that. “When I got out, things improved.”

“I guessed by the caviar jar there at the end.”

“Yes, I did well for myself after a bit of struggle.”

 “You did the same thing with the paintings, didn’t you? But you put your good feelings into them.”

“Why yes! I guess I did.” She looked pleased with my observation. “My art collection for what is right and beautiful in the world.” And these,” she indicated the jars, “for what was not, a collection of hurt and pain I’ve been hoarding.” She looked like she was reading them herself for the first time. “Nothing was in the jars. I know that. All that hurt and pain was in me.”

A cart clattered by in the hall while she seemed to gather a lifetime of thoughts together. “I could see right through them,” she mused, “but never really looked at them. Ah well, what would the psychologists tell us to do now?”

“I don’t know. But my boss would tell me to clean this up,” I answered as I rose to carefully pick the sharp fragments out of the carpet.

“I think they’d tell me I shouldn’t have been hanging on to those damn things all this time believing they kept me safe. How ridiculous. What do you say we break them all?” She lifted an elegant eyebrow at me.

“Hang on,” I told her. I pulled some safety goggles and another pair of latex gloves out of my cleaning cart. “Safety first.” After I stacked the dusty jars onto the cart, we wheeled down to the hall, laughing like a couple of little kids sneaking out after curfew.  In the recycling room, she hurled those jars into the bin as hard as she could, just smashing them all to hell. And she started shouting with each pitch. Her voice echoed in that small space, magnifying all that hurt and anger into a primal chorus of rage.

“Melinda, please explain how you accompanied one of our residents into the recycling room and encouraged her to shout obscenities we could all hear,” the charge nurse is saying, clearly not for the first time. Mrs. Stevens sniffs again, pinching the billboard of her face.

I bring myself back to the meeting, the one where these three Fates decide mine. “She needed to get rid of those jars.”

“Why did she decide, under your care, to break them?”

“I can’t answer for her. It would be… a breach of confidentiality.” That sounds like language these people would understand. “I didn’t realize she would shout so loud, or could, or that she’d say what she did.” Which had been a string of profanities both shocking and outstandingly funny, but no need to get into that. “She didn’t get hurt,” I say instead. “I made her wear goggles and gloves.”

All three lean towards each other to prepare their judgment, but jump when there’s a tattoo of raps on the door and a familiar voice shouts, “I won’t have you harassing that young lady. She had nothing to do with my actions.”

“I think she wants to speak for herself,” I volunteer.

The door flies open, and Miss. A. is framed in it, looking for all the world like a Marvel superhero in pearls.  She gives me a grin. Her face is wild and full of light, and as fresh and hopeful as a cool breeze blowing in the windows.

February 15, 2023 14:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Michał Przywara
21:44 Feb 15, 2023

Good opening sentence. Raises lots of questions, and gives us attitude and voice. The title is also very fitting, taking the expression literally. Considering how it starts, with this trial and our distressed narrator fearing she's going to lose her job, we expect things will end badly. Especially since she seemed to get off to a good start with Amber - naturally we assume she somehow screwed up with the jars and perhaps Amber had complained. Well, the twist is much happier than that, of course. Her "screw up" liberates Miss Amber (who i...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
22:06 Feb 15, 2023

I'm beginning to feel you should be compensated for keeping up morale on this site. Your insightful critiques mean a lot to me and to others as well. Feeling that someone understood the basic intention of a story is good, but you always pick up on the layers and whatever nuance there is to be had as well. If you ever get sick of software, teaching is an awesome profession (even if I made it look a little less so in the previous story). Then again, one of these days we're going to find out you are really a program and showing us all up. Now ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:25 Feb 16, 2023

Heh :) If we abstract humans into electrical signals and chemical reactions, I suppose we're all a kind of program - which of course triggers a number of sci-fi ideas. I like digging into stories. There's a lot of good ones here, it's a great way to improve my own writing, and if I'm entirely honest, it reminds me of the good parts of English class from way back when. I don't know if I have the patience for teaching, but I do respect the profession :) It's good to hear other people get something out of it too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
17:11 Feb 15, 2023

Laurel, Such an enjoyable story that builds right until the end. Mrs. A. and Melinda needed one another to discuss areas they were lacking in so that, in the end, they were both better off for it. The gift of empowerment, knowledge of how to view the world, and the freedom to unlock or let go of your past are the spice of life we all hope for one day. These two did it together. Well done. Thanks for the good read. LF6.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
19:57 Feb 15, 2023

You've phrased it so well! Thank-you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
22:39 Jan 26, 2024

Wonderful story, inspired creativity, divine writing, lovely message. I met a woman, about 10 years ago, an older woman, (older than I am now) who had saved little bits of sand, pebbles and rocks from all the places she'd visited, in small bottles, about the size of my thumb. I thought it was a really neat idea. There was one in particular that seemed different from the rest and I asked about it. She said it was a couple of plaster chips from a famous bridge in Venice. I think she had notes and photos that went with each bottle. The same...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
18:28 Jan 27, 2024

Much obliged!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin V
02:10 Feb 25, 2023

This is really interesting, Laurel. The use of the jars to hold Miss A's pains and fears, and the paintings as representative of happier times is really ingenious. There is a lot of depth to this. - The door flies open, and Miss. A. is framed in it, looking for all the world like a Marvel superhero in pearls. I loved that. '...a Marvel superhero in pearls.' Too funny. Thank you for an enjoyable read. I will have to look up 'Mondrian' though.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:07 Feb 25, 2023

Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
19:04 Feb 23, 2023

You've done it again, Laurel - this is simply wonderful, on many levels. The explanation for the jars and Miss A's journey, including connecting with Melinda was heart-wrenching and so charming! I've known some ladies in white gloves and she reminded me of a gentle time. So, when you tossed the jar busting profanity yelling super hero in pearls, I laughed out loud. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kelly Sibley
04:57 Feb 23, 2023

I really like the jar concept; that was clever!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:52 Feb 23, 2023

Thank-you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:35 Feb 21, 2023

Such a good story, that really hits home. I know people who take in foster kids, and I have known young people who were in not so great situations who could probably relate to this. Nice way to build the suspense, with a satisfactory and believable ending!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:15 Feb 21, 2023

Thank-you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
16:37 Feb 20, 2023

Ahh Laurel, this is so good. I've finished reading it and have the biggest smile on my face, worthy of whichever painter paints those! What a wonderful medley of places and people; the context of a cleaner and cleaning a room with a first- class art collection. You spun out the mystery so well and the tight- lipped prose offset by the letting rip obscenity blast of the end. Then there was the intrigue too as to why your narrator was being disciplined in the first place. The symbolism is top notch with the smashing of the jars. You know I lov...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
18:09 Feb 20, 2023

You are so sweet! I appreciate the read and the feedback and very glad you found it a pleasure to read. Don't count on the next submission being in the same vein since the structured prompt does create some limitations (and some opportunities!). It's a fun challenge!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:38 Feb 20, 2023

I'm skipping it this week, so I'll enjoy reading your entry. I've read a few submissions so far and for me people are being overly worried by the form to the extent the story ( gripping plot, good characters) has gone, somewhat, out the window! I'm sure yours will deliver both.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
21:24 Feb 20, 2023

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I would agree that the form, though a fun exercise for the writer, may well take away from plot, character motivations, and good prose. Certainly that is true for mine, but there have been some interesting stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
14:17 Feb 20, 2023

I loved this from start to finish. It was well paced and intriguing enough to keep me guessing. I was not sure where the bottles were going… thought of faerie and daemons and otherworldly kinds of djinn. The fact that they were absolutely empty, yet were full of powerful emotions was very well done. I loved the cathartic destruction and am having a chuckle imagining the colourful vocabulary of an old woman who, on the surface, is prim and proper, yet has a past that probably taught her more expletives than our MC could possibly have learned ...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
14:49 Feb 20, 2023

Thanks for reading and for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
06:54 Feb 18, 2023

What a finely crafted story! It reflects your study of human nature as well as art so well; giving the reader a few striking observations and a narrative that holds suspense till the end. My fave -Mrs. Stevens has a face like a billboard, advertising disapproval. A close second - her voice like a ghost that got locked in a closet. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:23 Feb 18, 2023

Appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.