Planchette of a Night

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Adventure Mystery

The moonlight painted the white colonial red. A red moon on Halloween is never a good sign. Leaning against my black fiesta, I watched as people poured into the house. Their revealing Halloween costumes made hungry teenagers eye their girls like a piece of food. I should just leave, I told myself. Shaking my head, I ignored my gut feeling and entered into the ordinary house.

Busy chatter echoed around me as beer flowed freely and people danced to loud obnoxious music. The white walls and country décor felt like a fancy prison cell. My black lace dress hugged my curvy body. My long brown hair hung on my shoulder in a loose braid. My black army boots glistened red in the party lights. This was not my scene. My mind kept telling me that something was not right.

"You made it Luna." A squeaky voice squealed. "I thought you would never come." A tall blonde bounced towards me in her pink school girl outfit. Her white shoes shimmered as she held me tightly.

"Of course, Selena." I stated through gritted teeth. "Wouldn't miss it for the world." Nearly choking on those false words, I flashed a big smile. She dragged me into a dark room next to her bedroom. Red candles sat on black iron plates. My heart nearly beat out of my chest as a Ouija board taunted me from the middle of the table.

"I am not doing it!" I protested backing out and banging into the nearby wall. "You don't play with that shit." Selena pouted as she sat down next to a guy in a letterman jacket from our school. He must be Brock Litin. Upon looking around there was Joe Smith, and Heather Gather, in her Catwoman outfit. They all laughed as I sat in the corner in a black leather chair.

Come on, high school witch." Heather teased. "It is your holiday after all. Good ol' Halloween." Giggling filled the room as they sneered at me.

"You really shouldn't open the door." I explained with a shaky voice. "Bad spirits like bad people." I turned to leave and felt panicked as I soon realized the door was locked. Jiggling the handle furiously, I kicked at it.

Shrugging, they all held the oak planchette and circled the board three times. Jokingly, Heather moved it on her own and they all jumped.

"Is Luna a witch?" Serena asked looking at me with a cruel look. Her face filled with horror as it moved to yes.

"Stop moving it, Heather!" Brock chided as his hands started to shake.

"I am not!" Heather shakily denied. "Why don't you ask the high school witch?" I opened my mouth to speak as the candles blew out one by one. Everyone screamed as the table flew up in the air. The lights flickered angrily as a thick book flew past my head making my long brown hair quiver in the short breeze. A cold burst of air threw the aged oak planchette at the shelf behind me. The ancient Ouija board burned up in front of me.

Heather floated up in the air as her neck snapped and with a loud thud she fell to the hard cherry wood floor. Brock's eyes went black as he pulled out a his pocket knife. In an odd fit of rage, he stabbed Joe. His creepy smile lit up his face as he blood splattered all over him. He licked his lips and shuddered with pleasure as he slit his own throat. Wet blood painted me red as Selena stood up and oddly grabbed his pocket knife and slit her wrists. Her crazy laughter echoed throughout as blood coated her hands like a pair of red silky gloves. An evil glint glimmered in her eyes as she collapsed to the floor.

Then a shadowy figure stood up in the corner and looked at me with his red eyes. My blood ran cold as it jerked towards me and as my heart was about to stop, it disappeared in a red puff of smoke. My lungs burned as tears ran down my face as I ripped open the door, and ran all the way home.

The next morning a loud knock on my small cape's black door rang throughout the house. My parent's footsteps hurried to the door.

"Luna!" My mother called with pain in her voice. "The police are here to talk to you." Quickly throwing on a black rockabilly dress and black Mary-janes. Two stern looking police officers cleared their throat as they made me sit down on my green couch.

"We found your friends at the party and they have appeared to have harmed themselves." The tall police officer stated coolly. "People witnessed you going in the room with them."

"I left the room as soon as they pulled out a stupid game or something." I protested weakly. "I would have stopped them if I could have." They both looked at each other and nodded in agreement.

"Here have this." The shorter police officer said as he handed me the ancient oak planchette. My brown eyes filled with terror as my heart nearly beat out of my chest. Over in the corner stood a shadowy figure waving at me.

"We shall never be apart now, my master." It promised with mouth full of sharp teeth. "I got rid of the bad people around you."

Looking back at the police officers, I ran outside and threw the planchette into the crude fire pit. Running into the shed, I grabbed the gas container and the matches. The odor of gas filled the air as I poured it on the cursed piece of wood. With a big smile, I flicked a lit match on the planchette. The fire glowed and died down in about twenty minutes. Glee shimmered in my face as I saw it all gone.

"I said I will always be here for you, master." The deep voice belted out behind me. "I was never attached to the planchette. I was a gift to you when you were born. Either you accept me or die." My heart was beating out of my chest as my lungs burned, hungry for air. Cool sweat started to drip down my forehead as I turned to face the shadow man.

"Never harm anyone else, and you can stay." I ordered sternly. "If you ever harm anyone else, I will do everything in my power to get rid of you." He nodded as he disappeared in a red puff of smoke.

Where he once stood was a neckless with a blood ruby in the shape of a crescent moon on a gold chain. Hesitatingly, I put it around my neck. The clouds darkened above me as I accepted my curse.



May 12, 2021 11:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.