Rating the Reaper

Written in response to: Start your story with someone receiving a one-star review.... view prompt

18 comments

Sad Funny Urban Fantasy

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

The irate man smelled of coffee, beer, and body odour. His breath was enough to make the eyes Death didn’t have water.

            “I should be dead right now. Why am I not dead?”

            “You are, mostly,” said the Reaper. He was trying very hard to ignore the obnoxious man. Ignoring someone who’s yelling in your face is hard enough without you being the only one that can see or hear them.

            “Mostly? What good is that to me? You’re either dead, or you’re not. I WANT TO BE DEAD.”

            “Go and be dead then. Somewhere else.” The man’s shouting was aggravating the Reaper’s hangover. “Quit bothering me.”

            “It’s your job. I’m not going anywhere until you do what you’re paid to do.”

            “I don’t get paid, moron. You think I’m hourly, while I go about harvesting souls? Maybe you think I’m on salary? Or am I paid per soul? How much is your soul worth? Not much, I bet.” Bony hands gripped a paper cup of coffee as the immortal sipped.

            “How dare you? I want to talk to your manager.” The man was flushed with rage.

            “SO DO I!” Death roared full in the man’s face. The businessman stepped back. “You’re upset. Guess what? I DON’T CARE. You’ve had some tough years. So have I. What was it? Hard time at work? Just quit. Hopeless marriage? Get divorced or have counselling.

            I’m stuck in a job I hate that I’ve had since the dawn of time.

            It would be fine if I knew there was an end date. I’ve been doing this for billions of years, back and forward through time and I’m still nowhere near finished.

            I quit.” Death finished his coffee and picked apart the cup, plastic lid in the plastic recycling bin, ribbed cardboard bit in the paper bin. Then the dilemma, did the plastic-coated paper go in the paper or plastic bin. He shrugged. Plastic. Fuck it.

            “I’ll tell everyone how useless you are,” said the man in pinstripes. “I’ll give you one star on yelp and, whatever.” He followed the reaper out of the shop.

Suddenly they were on a battlefield. The bullets were flying, razor wire curled from the top of the trenches.

            The reaper looked back and groaned as he saw the officious businessman wandering through no man’s land. He’d seen all of it before on television and in films, but they’d never conveyed the gut-wrenching stench of muck and death.

            “This isn’t right. Do you know who I am?” Pinstripe Pillock followed the black cloak of the skeleton over bodies abandoned in the muddy metres between the enemy lines. To his right the man heard German accents, to his left, British.

            “Were they really this close? It’s ridiculous,” said death’s angry stalker.

            “Agreed but it did make it easy to collect their souls afterwards.”

            “Why won’t you just finish me off. Isn’t that easier than having me harass you?” Pillock had a point, it only made the Reaper more determined to ignore him.

            Machine gun fire zipped across the dirt in front of them, splashing into mud and pinging against the coils of razor wire. A corpse was briefly given momentum by a stream of bullets. Pinstripe Pillock stared in disgust.

            “Don’t worry about him. I whipped his soul away half an hour ago, or fifty-two thousand years ago depending on how you look at it. It’s all relative, I think. Physics isn’t my thing.”

            “How can that be the same thing?”

            “Good question PP.” Death smiled. It looked the same as if he’d done nothing. There were no lips to convey the gesture, just menacing teeth. “The only perk of my job is that I get to reap the souls in whatever order I choose. I can go back and forth from the start of life to the end. It keeps it varied.

            It’s still bloody boring though.”

            “Life ends? All life?”

            “Probably, yours did, didn’t it?” The Reaper held up his hands.

            “Humanity doesn’t survive then?” The wind was gone from the pinstripe sails of the pillock’s boat. “It was all for nothing?”

            “No. Of course not. There was singing and laughing and dancing and sex, lots of sex. Horny lot, you humans, especially after you sorted out contraception. But yes, it ends. Everything ends.”

            “What’s the point if we all die?” Pinstripe Prat sat on a rock. Bullets whipped through his once beloved suit.

            “Is that really your problem? You opted out.”

            “I never thought that humanity would end. I thought someone else would take over.”

            “Maybe they do. Maybe I only have the job for this universe. Maybe there’s one after. My point is it all ends. Humans. Animals. Plants. All the weird things that are in between. That’s just how it goes.”

            “Could you take me?” Pinstripe asked.

            “Where?”

            “To the end, the end of us.” They were suddenly back on a busy street as an old man collapsed.

            “Do you really want to see that. I’ve already done the last one. It was a kid. One of the hardest ones I’ve ever had to do.

            All alone. As alone as anyone has ever been. Waiting for someone to come back and hold him. That’s why I can’t do this job anymore. There’s too much of that. Nothing prepares you for reaping the souls of the innocent. If I knew where they went it might be different.” The Reaper waved to a boy on the bus who was waving at him as it passed.

            “You don’t know where the souls go?” His anger was growing again.

            “Not my department PP. Anyway. If you’re upset about it find a church and try that out. I’m not doing it anymore. Someone must have the power to give me a break or take over and they’ve left me with it for too long. I cannot deal with weeping innocents anymore. It’s not fair.”

            “You think that’s unfair? I have terminal cancer, I just killed myself and you’re making me wait for it as if it was my fault. I just wanted a break from the pain.” The reaper suddenly felt bad about judging the man. It was well within his power to know what ailments the gentleman had but he’d not been paying attention. Too deep in his own problems.

            “I’m sorry about that,” Death said.

            “Is there a chance that religion is right? You’re real so… it might be?”

            The black robes jumped as the Reaper shrugged. “I wish I knew. Sorry.”

            “Please let me go. Whether it’s good, or bad, or nothing, I just want this over with.” Nigel Fisher put his face in his hands and tried to weep. It was a hard thing to do in the limbo between life and death.

            “Alright. Good luck Nigel. I hope it’s something you like.”

            “Thanks.” Nigel nodded, suit jacket flapping open to show his bloody wound.

The Reaper touched Nigel and felt the power of the universe working through him. The soul came away from the flesh with a start. The image of Nigel as he imagined himself, a handsome rascal in his early twenties, emerged from the tired body.

            “Good luck,” Death said. He conjured the light that took the soul away. “Rest in peace.”

            “Fuck this, I need ice cream.” He appeared in an ice cream van at the exact moment someone else died. Lots of people died around fast food, which was awful, but very convenient when he wanted to eat his feelings.

April 11, 2022 13:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
17:50 Apr 15, 2022

Hi Graham, this was a fantastic read, and was right up my alley! You are such a prolific writer I wasn't sure where to begin, but the title of this story really caught my eye. I loved the humor in this and it was a great ride for sure!! I say keep up with this genre because there is so much you can do with it as far as creativity is concerned. I can't wait to read more!! :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
15:09 Dec 27, 2022

Thanks for the comment, Daniel. I need to try and keep this series going as well but I burnt out a bit for it. Some stories are easier to keep going than others. I don’t know how Terry Pratchett kept his Discworld books going when they have such comical internal logic, the same with Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide and the sequels. Sorry I didn’t get back to you about this for ages.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:41 Dec 28, 2022

No worries, my friend! I understand how easy it is to bet burned out on some series. Sometimes it helps me to take a break and work on something else until I get the motivation to go back :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:18 Dec 28, 2022

Working on the Arthas Jacques space detective stories is keeping me going just now. Eventually something will come to mind for this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
L M
08:17 Jan 11, 2023

So he doesnt kill people and doesnt know where they go? Bit weird for a reaper not to know? This series doesnt seem as connected as your pther ones.

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:54 Jan 11, 2023

I think of it as the reaper being like a soul delivery guy. He picks up a soul where it was deposited, takes it to where it needs to go and moves on. He’s delivered it to the light or whatever’s next but he doesn’t get to go and see what’s after that. It’s not his job.

Reply

L M
10:19 Jan 11, 2023

Thats a weird way of thinking about death. Interesting.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:18 Jan 11, 2023

Thanks.

Reply

L M
07:15 Jan 12, 2023

Youre welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Feuer Wasser
19:15 Jul 30, 2022

Loved this one. Another great one by you.

Reply

Graham Kinross
19:40 Jul 30, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
11:50 Apr 15, 2022

Thank you for reading, if you want to read the next one you can use this link. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/p0rlgx/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ed Hinojos
14:14 Apr 13, 2022

Funny. This story made light of the subject of death and the afterlife, which was nice. Good job.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:01 Apr 13, 2022

Thank you. I’m glad someone enjoyed it. I’m never sure whether people will like it when I write this sort of thing.

Reply

Hen Neralany
08:15 Apr 14, 2022

I liked it! Read it top to bottom, I'm amazed by your skills amd dedication to writing. Never disappoint!

Reply

Graham Kinross
08:44 Apr 14, 2022

Thank you, that’s very kind. I like to write as much as I can because I’m thinking about this stuff all day everyday. If I don’t write it down I’m just a nutter with weird nonsense going around in his head.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Nice! Your descriptions are great.

Reply

Graham Kinross
14:00 Apr 12, 2022

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.