0 comments

Romance

It was supposed to be the summer of my first love. I was invited to attend Camp Anderson a Christian Retreat and Summer Camp that is centrally located in North Florida on the incredibly beautiful Suwannee River. The Programming and Facilities included a rustic yet modern, climate controlled accommodations, espically fun activities, exceptional food service and a staff that consists of skilled ministry professionals. What really made that camp unique is that team members have the heart of a missionary and are passionate about partnering with you to help meet the spiritual needs of young people.

She was sitting under a beautiful Hybrid Poplar Shade Tree reading what looked like a bible. I introduced myself as Arnold Warskey and she introduced herself as Elaine Woodard. On our 3rd meeting under that tree I received my very first kiss at 17 years old.  

I had fallen madly in love until it was confirmed that she and I had contracted the measles. It is a contagious viral infection and can spread through the contact of virus infected saliva or mucus which is released by two people when kissing Elaine thought. It takes about 10-15 days to show up symptoms like a high fever, a run- down or lethargic feeling, red eyes (conjunctivitis), runny nose, loss of appetite, dry hacking cough or swollen eyelids and inflamed eyes, watery eyes, photo phobia or sensitivity to light, sneezing, a reddish brown rash and generalized body aches.

Falling in love for only two weeks isn’t a very long time especially when there were 4 more weeks of summer camp left.  

No treatment is needed for measles as it resolves on its own. Medication is prescribed to ease the symptoms. Analgesics: Relieve fever and muscle aches. Acetaminophen, Antibiotics: In case of any bacterial infections antibiotics are recommended, Penicillin, Streptomycin, Vitamin supplements: Used to lessen the severity of measles Vitamin A.

The two of us were quarantine for the measles for 21 days, 11 hours and 27 seconds  from the time we last kissed, at which time we were no longer a risk for developing the disease and spreading measles to others.

Unfortunately, for me she was released and went back home from her quarantine in 20 days. One of the counselors handed me a envelope from Elaine with a letter inside.

It Read: Dear Arnold you pig. How could you give me the measles? I went against everything I believed in concerning getting intimate with a lousy boy. You really and truly broke my heart especially knowing you already had the measles. I didn’t pay to much attention to the bright red bumps all over your homely face thinking that you just had a bad case of acne. I dismissed all the scratching you always did because in that short period of summer camp time I was falling in love with you even though you had been the 9th boy I ever kissed. I pray to GOD that we never meet again. Hate you sincerely you measles weasel.

I still have that letter today to prove to anyone that first summer loves are forever long lasting. You see Elaine and I are now married with two wonderful twin children, Jack and Jill.

Don’t let me jump the gun and not allow you to miss how we finally reunited.

I hadn’t thought about Elaine in years. That was until I seen her sitting under a Cercidiphyllum Japonicum Tree in British Columbia were I signed up and agreed to follow the strict rules at the Vipassa Meditation Center of British Columbia: A 10 Day Silent Retreat. Vipassana literally means to see things as they really are and is one of India’s most ancient techniques of meditation. In fact, this meditation technique was at one time taught in India as a universal remedy for most ailments. The technique of Vipassana Meditation is taught at 10-day residential courses across North America and around the world, during which participants learn the basics of the Vipassana method and practice sufficiently to experience its beneficial results. Amazingly, there were no charges for the courses not even to cover the cost of food and accommodations. You can opt to offer a donation to support the center but this is one tradition that has kept the barrier to entry nonexistent.

If you’ve never done a meditation retreat, 10 days may sound too intense but I’ve known lots of people who’ve done it for the first time and loved the experience. Being in a rhythm of silence and stillness for 10 days is said to offer me lasting benefits. I did need to commit in advance and be aware of their rules.

One look at the now 30 year old Elaine I didn’t know if I could be silent for 10 seconds. Let alone 10 whole days.

My mind got to wondering had she married, was she involved in a serious and meaningful relationship and what had she done over the last 13 years we departed. With that in mind and the fact that we couldn’t talk. I decided to write her a letter and hand it to her on the last day of the retreat.

Dear Gorgeous Elaine, Let me just start off by saying that I didn’t give you the measles. You can get measles by breathing air contaminated by an infected person or touching an infected surface. The measles virus can stay in the air for several hours after an infected person coughs or sneezes. The average number of people infected by one person with measles is believed to be 12-18. What I’m trying to say is that we weren’t the only two infected by the measle virus that summer. I’m not writing you this letter because I found your words in your written voice heart breaking. I truly believed at that time in our lives that God chose the two of us to one day become as one. I am not married Elaine and to tell you the honest truth ever since that letter I have always been reluctant to involve myself in a relationship. Yes, I realize that sounds silly and I wouldn’t be surprise if a smile appeared on your lovely face. As I watch you sitting under that tree each day. I know one day we’ll be man and wife. On the last day of the retreat I was handed a letter by one of the silent spiritual advisor from Elaine and she too admitted we will one day become husband and wife.

August 04, 2020 13:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.