0 comments

Inspirational Adventure Fantasy

Typically, it starts with numbers. It could be on the clock. It could be on license plates. "11:11am". You think to yourself, again?! Every time I look at a clock I see 11:11! What gives??

For Yesonay, it happened a little differently.

See, Yesonay was a piper. What's a piper? A piper plays the pipe flute wearing tight stockings, gathering animals along with him wherever he plays. Yes, THAT type of piper. The one you see in children's books.

As a piper, Yesonay would roam the land and call upon the squirrels, the crows, the rats and the deer, the coyotes and the bluejays, and all would emerge from their hiding places and basically have a party, following Yesonay around wherever he went.

It was all good and fun, and you might be surprised to find out that Yesonay's role was not just for fun. He had an important role in the realm of kingdoms. You see, by gathering all of the critters of the land, Yesonay was allowing the land to breathe and reset itself, while guiding the lively energy of the animals to sweep the land in joy and celebration. This served a hygienic function for the land, a sort of reset and breather, brightening up everyone's day.

Suffice it to say, Yesonay was more than tuned into the extraordinary. From his daily work and its functions, to his role and those he encountered, we could say that Yesonay lived between worlds.

Now, this is where it gets interesting. A local town bastard by the name of Nayona. Nayona, though a bastard, was not regarded as one. Nayona was a regular magicsmith. He would say words and the words would create worlds. Yet, there was something very interesting that happened for him.

Every time Nayona said "cespical", he would notice that his left arm's veins would start glowing a bright blue. He had never seen such a beautiful color. It reminded him of early morning sky right before sunrise, or the waters of their local tropical sea.

A bit about magicsmithing: the words used for a magicsmith venture would appear physically in the form of a visible plasma looking cloud, often tinted either white or silver, and this living entity would carry off into the world, weaving various activities.

Nayona's "cespical" would do the same, and this is how it would encounter Yesonay. However, it wouldn't meet Yesonay at any old random time. Each time, without fail, the "cespical" plasma cloud would end up appearing in front of Yesonay specifically in the exact same situation point in time and space.

This would be exactly 10 breaths after his first piping call. Simultaneously, it would be coincide with the appearance of the very same creature responding to the call, a very small rat, limp in his hind leg, who went by the name of Mamayama.

So, imagine this. Every time Yesonay made his piping call, Nayona would do his "cespical". Yesonay and Nayona lived 3 lightyears apart, so they had no idea what each other was up to. 10 breaths later, Yesonay would see "cespical", and Mamayama would show up hobbling along, at the same time that Nayona would be experiencing the glowing of his bright blue veins.

Yesonay was used to the cause and effect of life, and even the magic of life, yet he felt this occurrence was something else. It had started precisely on the 10th anniversary of his piping call practice, and he had never seen a plasma cloud like "cespical" before. Plus, prior to this, he had never seen Mamayama show up to his calls before. So something was up.

Yesonay decided to inquire further. One day, as soon as "cespical" showed up, and Mamayama came hobbling along, Yesonay stood firm, put a halt to the whole party caravan of creatures, and facing Mamayama, he played precisely the same piping call he had played 10 breaths ago. Rather than continue on as usual, Yesonay was determined to address just what was going along here.

Nothing happened...initially. Mamayama, tilted head and curiously looking at Yesonay, seemed to pause the flow of time. "Cespical" too, carried on as usual, floating as small translucent cloud right above Mamayama.

Yet, what had changed was Yesonay's demeanor. Eyes fierce, breathing pattern deeper, fuller, it was as if he was challenging all of existence to reveal itself.

On the other end of this peculiar connection, Nayona noticed a change. His bright blue veins on his left arm started to shimmer and vibrate. All of a sudden, out burst a plasma cloud almost identical to "cespical" out of his arm, and engulfing, surrounding Nayona, carried him above ground lightspeed, headed straight toward Yesonay's direction.

1.5 lightyears in, at the halfway point of Nayona being carried to reach Yesonay, Mamayama, by some unconscious link of subtle detection, changed disposition. The small, limp rat turned on its back, and acting as if she were dead, started to decompose, out growing a glowing rose-like flowering planet.

Yesonay took notice of this significant change, and was in awe. He had heard about this occurrence in childhood. It was called a "beacon shift", and it meant that there was an incoming visitor here to share a message. He had never been sure whether it was real or myth, and what purpose it served in the first placed, and yet here it was happening before his very eyes.

The rest of the creatures also gathered in a circle around Mamayama, now transfigured into a "beacon shift", with "cespical" still hovering above. The "beacon shift's" flower opened, and formed a beam of light in connection to "cespical" above.

And out of this connection, out of the sliver of this beam of light, came out Nayona.

Nayona, with his bright blue arm vibrating, and Yesonay, looking upon this sight in awe.

They locked eyes.

Time, space, breathing, existence transcended.

In this realm beyond all, came the message of the "beacon shift"...

It had been 300 days since that occurrence, and after that moment, everything had gone back to total normality. No more Mamayama, "cespical", curious coincidence 10 breaths after his calls. Just every day happening as usual. And Yesonay, though he felt different, had no way of making sense of what had happened that night, nor what the message of the beacon shift had been.

However, Yesonay had noticed a unique golden inscription on the tip of his pipe, that wasn't there before. It had a bright blue aura emanating from it. It looked like the veins on Nayona's arm, yet Yesonay remembered nothing of that detail about it. What it did remind him of was this feeling, the feeling he had felt in that moment of transcendence with Nayona.

A feeling that Yesonay had no words for, but he did have one way of expressing how he felt, and that was his pipe. Ever since that occurrence, the creatures and people of the land noticed a subtle shift in Yesonay's piping.

It was no longer simply a joyful call, a daily activity in service to the land. It carried something else with it now, a vibration that would cradle you, almost like "cespical" had done to Nayona. Yesonay's piping had with it a new dimension. And all the creatures and people of the land were grateful for this, for it soothed their souls like nothing had done before.

If they were really still while listening, they would hear the word "Naaaaayoooooooonnnnaaaaaaaaa" emerging from within their being...and as if it downloaded the sum of Nayona's magicsmithing abilities, any one of the living beings who heard Yesonay's piping would now have the ability to act from this place of magical skill, a gift to benefit their life, each other and all the land.

July 23, 2021 19:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.