9 comments

Drama Sad

Trigger Warning: Suicidal ideation. Please only read if you’re in the right headspace to do so.




   It was almost, almost a painting. The cobblestone bridge held steady over the river, its only companions a mess of grassy reeds and the willow tree. But the willow was an especially vital part of this scene. It was gnarled, and watercolor textures had painted themselves onto its bark, a mosaic of soft browns and woody undertones. With low-hanging branches and roots that spilled over the riverbank, it housed her childhood, climbing up in what she and her brother affectionately called the river tree. It was a hangout, a fortress, and now, a place of asylum. Besides, its leaves had woven themselves into a curtain, shielding her from both known and unknown, as well as rumor. She wasn’t mad, as they said. She was… grieving. And in that, a whole mess of emotions slammed together inside her skull, boiling over like an unattended pot. 


   Her father was dead by her lover’s hand. Dead. The word rolled through her mind like a plague, infecting every word she spoke. The things she knew and the things that poured from her lips were two very different things, and she couldn’t quite catch why. Her hands shook at the thought, her curtain of leaves turning into the one that had become her father’s deathbed. A dove flitted through the green tapestry, and she gasped, imagining it as the sword that had done the deed. If she hadn’t reached out to steady herself on the trunk, she might’ve fallen into the gentle flow of the water below. A close call. No matter. 


An hour ago, she’d crawled up onto the lowest-hanging branch, dipping a muddied shoe into the river’s temperate waters. There was a task at hand, sure. She couldn’t find reason nor motivation to do it. After all, she came here for the sole intent of gathering flowers to put on her father’s grave, when the servants found it, but the branch looked so inviting. A shelter, a home. It looked like a picture, like a scene made of thread and needle, one of the tapestries her mother used to make. And so she climbed, hoisting her skirts with a heavy fist and tucking the bouquet into the crook of her elbow, finally settling on the branch. The river ran lazily below, the tip of her satin shoe darkened by its blood. 


   Gradually, a warm summer rain had begun to fall, sprinkling droplets of water onto the river’s glass surface. Clouds rolled overhead, dramatic and melancholy, reminding her of her lover. Or was he an enemy? She shook her head, carefully taking a dagger to her thoughts. If it was dead, she was better off. If it wasn’t, she’d kill it. A scornful revenge on her own mind for daring to mention him.


The sweet fragrance from her bouquet had caught on the warm wind, gently teasing her mind away from sorrow to focus on the blooms. Crowflowers, nettles, daisies, and long purples, all for one man. Her mother would say she overdid it, that the bouquet was too frivolous. No matter. She’d thought they were pretty, and what did the dead care about frivolous things? Actually, what did the dead care at all? Humming absently, she tucked a daisy behind one ear, letting it be lost in her hair rather than clutched in her hands. The shoe she’d dipped in the water was now soaked, the back slipping off her heel. Cursing, she bent, switching the flowers from hands to her elbow, seeking fingers trying to pull the fabric back up. 


   It was a cruel bit of foreshadowing, written by Fate’s hand. The daisy fell from behind her ear, floating gently into the rain-puckered river below. She felt herself slipping in the same way, and jolted upwards in the opposite direction. For a fraction of a second, she teetered on the branch, back and forth like an old children’s toy. The moment flashed by like a burst from a witch’s spell, sending her into the river. 


   Her body went under before her mind comprehended, the warm water closing in and over her face. A minute later, she rose back up, breaking the surface with a gasp. Her skirts had billowed out around her like a wedding dress, her bouquet spreading and floating around her as if she were a fairy. The rain felt good on her now-wet face, falling from the heavens to caress her skin and linger on her eyelashes. The sky was beautiful, rolling clouds and heavy, rain-filled dresses. Of all things, it reminded her of a ballad, a lullaby that her mother had whispered. The song left her lips and was carried away by the hand of Nature, the rain growing harder and the wind humming to her song. The waters held her up like she was leaning on an old friend’s shoulder, comforting and warm.


 Slowly, her skirts grew heavy, saturated through and through with the river’s blood. They began to sink, taking her with them, still softly murmuring something between a song and a speech. With the rain dancing on the water, with the wind teasing her nose, and the flowers around and in her grasp, she began to sink under, delighting in the warm waters accepting her as one of their own. It was terrifying to delight in the idea of death lurking so close, but it didn’t seem to faze her. 


Sooner rather than later, things had reached a point where the petal-strewn surface had receded far from her, the hands of the dying sunlight desperately reaching for the girl who had loved them so. A loss settled over her hands and heart, sending a steady stream of tears down her rainspotted cheeks. It was a fearful relief, a joyed sorrow. Somehow, miles away from her house, she was home. The tears came harder, yet just before her lips left the surface, a laugh bubbled over to spill out into the summer evening. 


It was beautiful on Death’s ledge.

February 02, 2021 17:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

20:28 Feb 03, 2021

Thanks for the warning. very sad. Loved it though.

Reply

Cassandra Durnin
21:37 Feb 03, 2021

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Quick question though: how’d you find me? I saw that you’re new on Reedsy, so, welcome! Glad to have you.

Reply

21:38 Feb 03, 2021

Thanks! I saw you were in one of my friend's followed or something.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michael Boquet
00:12 Feb 03, 2021

Wow! I bet Shakespeare wishes he'd thought of this. I love how you change her motivation, she's not crazy just grieving. Then she falls in accidentally but ends up accepting death. It's a great twist on Hamlet. My only critiques are in regard to the last paragraph:I think you could delete "things had reached a point" to get a cleaner sentence. Also not sure you need the last sentence. I think "a laugh bubbled over to spill out into the summer evening" is strong enough on it's own. Just my opinion, obviously. I love how you write from the ...

Reply

Cassandra Durnin
01:54 Feb 03, 2021

This is some of the best feedback I’ve ever gotten, thank you so much! And now that you’ve mentioned it, I’d actually love to do a piece on Lady Macbeth, so thank you again for the idea.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cassandra Durnin
18:00 Feb 02, 2021

Very loosely fits the prompt, but oh well. Enjoy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:00 Feb 20, 2021

ViCtoRy Is OuRs! Apparently it’s a challenge where you say it to someone and then have them pass it on? I got it from Amethyst who got it from Luna who got it from Sapphire who got it from Kate who got it from Jade who got it from Emerald. Sorry, this is really random... XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
L.J Ferguson
21:43 Feb 07, 2021

I really felt like I was staring at the tree with her, great description and great sensory stuff! Thanks for the trigger warning. The line- "Miles away from her house, she was home" was fantastic. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:45 Feb 02, 2021

OOOOH! Totally loved it! Nice job Cassie! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.