3 comments

Sad Suspense Thriller

"This is the last strike for both of you!" the librarian scowled after she gave a long lecture about being quiet at the library. She walked away swinging her hips and with a frown on her face.

Isiah and Penelope snickered while mimicking her. Penelope placed a book on her hip and pointed a finger at Isiah. He laughed at his sister while putting away his black computer in his Jansport black backpack. They were sitting at the end of the library where no one was, but their loud voices disrupted anyone that was near. Too unlucky, the librarian was putting away books on the shelves near them.

The siblings were twins and usually had a good laugh with each other. It was their way to shadow the darkness that filled their lives. Though the twins weren't here for their own good use, but for someone else’s. They had a job. An important job.

"Okay now that we got in the libraries secret accounts, I think we're clear to go," Isiah said. He was looking around their small surroundings to check if there was anyone watching or hearing them.

Remembering why they were here, Penelope stayed silent like a lamb. Lamb was Penelope’s nickname people used on her. She didn't enjoy it at all, in fact she used to cry after someone would call her that. She was indeed quiet while at work, but when with her brother, she was as loud as wearwolfs on a full moon.

The twins got up while they both lifted their hoodies cap up their heads. They both wore black hoodies which caused some people to think they were identical twins even though they were different genders. With her short brunette hair out, Penelope and Isiah could be told apart. They started walking through the long book shelves that were brown and tall. Isiah was carrying the backpack with the many books in it, whcih caused him to stumble a few times. As they got to the automatic doors, they glanced at each other and walked fast to the black medium sized truck outside.

Isiah knocked on the window three times.

"Who is it?" a man with a rough voice yelled.

"I.A. and Lamb."

The doors of the truck unlocked and the twins climbed in. They opened the slider that seperated the trucks two front seat and the trunk and got in the back. They were greeted in by stares of scary people who wore only black. Most of them had many tattoos and piercings all over their face. Empty alchol bottles fulled the floor and white powder was everywhere you looked. The back had tiny couches where most of the people sat. All the seats were occupied which left the twins nowhere to sit, so standing was the only option.

"He's coming soon," a young girl who looked around sixteen said. She had long black hair with red streaks. She had a black strippers outfit and a large septum piercing.

Penelope and Isiah nodded as they waited for the man that they came for.

A bang on the back of the trunk startled everyone and the large door opened as a man with a black suit, slicked back long hair, a black symmetrical mustache, and a stern look slowly came in.

All the people sitting on the couches got up and stood back against the walls of the trunk trying to stay away. The door of the garage slowly closed as the large man sat on left couch, avoding the stains.

"Well, well, I'm assuming the two that didn't even move while I came in are the two I need," the mans voice had a spanish accent to it and it was very manly.

"Are you Diego Lopez?" Isiah asked, ignoring the mans question.

"Ah yes you are one clever young man!"

"Let's just finish the deal." Isiah was annoyed and wanted to rush this so his sister wouldn't panic.

Everyone in the trunk had their mouths wide open at Isiah's demand.

"Listen here kid. I don't think you know who I am. and I am certain your boss didn't tell you this, but I am the top dog. You know what that means," Diego continued without waiting for an answer, "I am who they say is the man you should be afraid of."

Isiah didn't flinch and had no expression at what Diego Lopez was saying.

"What if I tell you a name people usually call me and I'll see if you can remember. I'm Hernandez Sam."

Isiah and Penelope stared at the man. They were too shocked. They have heard of him often and the stories people would tell about him.

"Now that you obviosuly know me, let's finish this shall we?" Diego used his hand to wave at the seats so that the twins can have a seat.

Penelope and Isiah sat on the couch that was in front of the man. Isiah pulled out his computer from his backpack and five large books.

Diego Lopez quickly grabbed the computer and the books.

"Password?" Diego asked.

"It's on the bottom of the computer," Isiah said with a small voice.

"You both get outta here," Diego commanded.

The twins got up and slid through all the people that were against the walls. They got out of the truck and ran to a different. A white truck. Before they knocked on the truck, Isiah held his against his broad chest tightly.

"We did half of it, the other half is going to be over tonight, understand?" Isiah said to his twin sister.

She didn't answer, but Isiah didn't need one. He could hear her heart beat go fast and her shaking breath. Even though, they were twins Isiah took care of his sister like she was his younger that more fragile than him.

He let out a shaky laugh. "I love you lamb."

No answer.

He let go of his sister and used the key in his pocket to climb inside the back of the white trunk. Penelope went in first, then Isiah.

People wearing black hoodies were sitting on the floor and there was a large white board on the left wall. It had a plan on it. A tall muscular man that was standing walked over and hugged the twins for a split second before stepping a few steps back.

"You guys did it," the man said with a mexican accent.

"Yes, and we want to finish the rest immedietly. Tell us the plan so we don't waste anymore time," Penelope said with a demanding voice. The people in the room were stunned she said something, even her brother.

"Ah the lamb talks," the man said.

"Leave her alone Matteo," Isiah growled.

"Fine, fine, I'll let Juan demonstrate the plan."

A short rounded man with a buzz cut got up and demostrated tge plan on the white board while pointing at drawings, and words.

"You kids think you got this?" Juan asked.

"Yes," the twins replied at the same time. 

"Well then, you guys have an hour. You sure you don't want to reconsider this?" Matteo asked. He hoped that the best member in the gang would stay, Isiah.

"Absolutley not," Isiah said firmly.

Matteo ticked his mouth. He knew that was Isiah and Penelope were about to do can lead to getting arrested, and possibly death. The twins knew that too, but they would pracitically do anything for this. It was dangerous, especially for two teenagers.

The twins put on disguise outfits for the crime. Isiah wore a black one piece long suit with pockets. He wore a white mask with the eyes open as well as the mouth. He also wore a black benie.

Penelope wore something similar. Black pants that were a light shade of black and a thin obsidian colored jacket.

Both the twins carried their own backpacks with their belongings inside. They also carried a backpack with small pistols, pepper spray, and grenades. One of the most important things they carried in the second backpack, was small bags that were leather. These bags were what would help them for tonight.

As the hour went and everyone in the truck prepared, as well as Penelope and Isiah, they were ready to change their lives for the better or the worst in a matter of time.

The twins were about to jump off the truck to start the plan, but Matteo held their arms tightly.

"You may be able to get out of this gang tonight, but no one, and I mean no one, will forget the mistakes you have made," he let go of the twins and ran to the drivers seat to start the truck. Even though he paused both the twins, he was talking to Isiah.

"What was that about?" Penelope asked her brother as they got off from the back of the truck.

"Nothing, let's go."

"Wait Isiah," Penelope stopped walking.

"We can do this right?" she asked.

"Yes we will and I'm determined to. If you ever feel like you are going to panick, remember what I used to tell you to do."

"Okay."

The crime the twins were about to commit was in the bottom of the library. Though it looked like your average library, it used to be a famous drug lords mansion. It was dark outside, which was useful since the twins would be less likley to be seen, but the bottom of the library is where they worry.

They ran through the trimmed grass and on to the creek, and reached the door. Isiah opened the door and penelope came in to a dark room. Isiah came behind her and he used his large hands to find the light switch. He turned on the room, and there were piled of books everywhere you looked. The floor was old, and the room didn't look used for years. Penelope and Isiah stomped their shoes on the floor to find a secret enterance to an underground room. Alas, Penelope found it. She lifted it with her hands, and the twins went down the stairs that reached down. It was a huge sewers place with many doors. The green rusty water was on the side, and the walls were grey with bacteria everywhere. It was huge, but reeked a ghastly smell.

"We need to find a wooden door," Isiah whispered to Penelope.

They walked fast looking for the wooden door that would lead them to wear they needed to be. They took a right, and saw a door.

"F**k we need a pin," Isiah whispered.

Penelope inserted a number on the doors handle where the numbers were. The door clicked the sound indicating it was unlocked.

"How'd you know?"

Ignoring Isiahs question, Penelope gently opened the door.

It was mostly empty, but there was a large bookshelf in the corner of the room. It was an average sized room, that had no purpose.

The twins stopped their feet around the floor of the room to find another opening. The design of the now library was weird and the twins thought it was strange.

They aventually found the small opening on the floor and went down the stairs. They couldn't see where they were, but they new the whole area was huge.

"Get your flashlight," Isiah whispered to Penelope.

Penelope got out her flashlight and started scanning the surroundings. She was looking for some kind of source of light. After a couple minutes, Isiah found a switch. He flipped on a switch and they were looking at a place with white bricked walls and a huge vault.

The twins ran to the vault and immeditley started their plan. After finally opening the vault, they saw packs and packs of whit grains in packets everywhere. They each grabbed some and put it in a huge bag.

"We should go now," Isiah shakingly said.

Penelope had a lump in her throat and her eyes were beginning to water. They were doing something dangerous. Extremly dangerous.

The twins ran outside the room where the vault was and outside the rooms they were in. Suddenly two large mans in suits and a nice short haircut appeared. They both looked hispanic.

"Where are you two kids going?" one of the men asked suspiciously.

The siblings quickly glanced at each other and ran to the ladder.

"Come back here!" the other man said.

They ran quickly and climbed the ladder as fast as they can. As the twins climbed the ladder, one of tje guys shot Isiah.

"Ah!" Isiah yelled.

There wasn't time to stop, so Isiah moved quickly ignoring the awful pain that climbed up his body. They got out from the room with the many books and went outside. Police sirens were loud, and the twins had to get out of there.

"Hey the drugs!" Diego came out of no where and called out.

Isiah and Penelope threw the drugs and kept running.

"The car!" Penelope screamed.

They ran to the car that was in the plan, a silver Jeep.

They got in and fell on their sides. The drived was undetinfied but, he was to take them somewhere far.

"We did it Isiah. It's over," Penelope said trying to catch her breath.

Unable to move, Isiah made a noise with his mouth. Penelope grabbed her brother and held him tight.

It was indeed over.

May 01, 2021 03:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Charli Britton
20:41 May 06, 2021

I liked that a lot! Very creative. My only thing is, why does the LIBRARY of all places have secret files? Unless it was like... the library of congress, It shouldn't. I loved your names. They were not too outlandish, but not super common either, like Emma or Joe. I have a little think about common names, but I approve! xD

Reply

Luna Smith
21:47 May 06, 2021

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! The library used to be a drug lords mansion, therefore there are "secret files".

Reply

Charli Britton
23:19 May 06, 2021

Ohhhh okok. I must have missed that when I read over it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.