0 comments

Fiction Suspense Thriller

The morning dawned grey, and sad. The clouds evaded the sky as I drove into work with optimistic hopes that the day would be productive but thought against it once I realized the biggest headache would suffice dealing with my colleague, Erickson. Erickson was like the boss’ pet that ran with all things that was not business savvy and got away with it. He thought he was charming but, he was the biggest loser known to mankind.

As I sauntered towards the front entrance of the office building, the clanking of my heels amplified in a hurry as the wind chills hit me in all directions. It was freezing.

The lobby was as quiet as it was on the outside. It merely looked empty. The red-head receptionist greeted me with a warm welcome as I paced towards the elevators. I had to coach myself to make the day better than I anticipated, but the dreading reality of sitting at an office desk for eight hours was a depressing thought. I wanted to sip champagne and relax with my feet up instead of dealing with prunes, but I also had to make money to support my lavish lifestyle. How else would I have money to pay for the sparkling champagne that I desperately yearned for?

The elevator doors dinged as I made a grand exit from the four walled room. The office was deafening silent causing me to stop in my tracks and observe the room. The sound of typing fingers were nonexistent, the dinosaur printer was not roaring to life, and the sound of my pen dropping could be heard in a distance. I spun on my heels as I was met with the stunning face of my boss, Bret. The expression on his face was of shock which caused me to chuckle because my intention was not to startle him.

“Aria, what are you doing here?”

His question puzzled me, and I shifted my weight from one leg to the other, “I work here?”

“You didn’t get the email? Work was cancelled today due to the blizzard.”

“What?” I panted, silently cursing myself for not checking the weather along with my messages, “Is that why this place is like a ghost town?”

“That’s exactly why,” Bret fiddled with the top button of his coat before grabbing his keys from the pockets, “it doesn’t start until later but it’s best to leave now.”

I shook my head in dismay. The drive from the south suburbs to downtown was approximately an hour. An hour too long to just leave on the count of a blizzard that has not occurred. I had assignments that were to be done by today. Leaving because of a blizzard is a farfetched move.

“I have work that needs to be done, Bret. I’ll leave an hour before this storm arrives.”

Bret sighed, “I understand that, but the severity of this storm is impactful. Make sure to lock up before leaving, alright?”

I nodded as he parted ways onto the elevator. I did a twirl in elation knowing I was alone and able to relish into my work without the disturbance of buffoons.

***

Hours passed as I buried my head into work and let the time surpass me. I did not realize the time until my phone buzzed erratically which stirred my attention. Rapidly, I grabbed the phone to a warning message displayed across the screen. The message was of the upcoming blizzard that was preparing to rip and run through the city.

I gapped at the floor-to-ceiling windows that had an open view of the outside. The snow itself sent chills through my bare body. I dialed the lobby but to no avail, the voicemail greeted me which prompted me to grab my coat, purse, and keys as I shut the lights off and locked up. The empty halls were eerie and cold. Busy bodies roamed the office halls daily and to see it empty was mind boggling. I could not help but wonder the thoughts of the custodians as they cleaned the fifty floors throughout the tower. It was like a pervasive maze that guided humans through halls as if a rat race were unfolding.

I walked towards the elevator and pressed the button in hopes of hearing the rumbling, but it was silent. The room itself was soundless.

I pressed the button once more.

Nothing.

Sighing in frustration, I dwelled in pity with not wanting to take the stairs from the thirtieth floor to the lobby. I cringed thinking about it being my body was not the healthiest because I choose to stuff my face with fast food and not having a healthy meal plan. Cooking a meal to save my life was out of question. No matter how many cooking channels I binge watched, or how many cookbooks I owned… cooking was not my calling. The burger joint down the street from my penthouse served me well when I needed a quick meal.

My stomach growled as I thought of the fully, loaded burger bowl that I planned to order later if the blizzard doesn’t prevent me from satisfying my craving. As I walked towards the exit doors leading to the stairwell, a noise could be heard in the distance. It almost sounded as if someone was crying which caused me to halt in my tracks.

I listened carefully as if I grew bionic ears and tried to decipher the noise. I berated myself for having thoughts of wanting to check it out because when odd things like this happened; you get freaky results.

“Just walk away.” I coerced myself.

The noise increased which impelled me to sprint towards the exit doors. The doors wouldn’t budge, and with all of my strength, I attempted to push it open.

Oddly enough, it was like it was nailed shut.

I cursed out loud before silently saying a prayer. Slowly, I headed towards the noise coming from the opposite end of the hallway. There were four doors and each door led to the office sector, the break room, the meeting room, and a door that was locked since I began working here.

The door itself was never acknowledged like it was prohibited. The noise was coming from that door. I recoiled as my feet lightly treaded towards the walkway.

Shuddering chills shot through me. I placed my ear on the cold, wooden door as I carefully listened. The noise was intense, and it sounded like cries for help.

“Hello?” I called out.

The noise stopped.

I hesitated before placing my hand on the freezing knob.

Surprisingly, it opened with a loud creak that caused my anxiety to heighten and welcome darkness. With the flashlight to my cell phone, I aimed it down the empty, cool hallway.

My heart dropped at the sight of blood. I surveyed the room that reeked of rotting corpses as I looked for someone… anyone.

“Hello?” I yelled.

“Help… us.”

The bodies of two young girls were huddled into a corner as they held each other tightly. My knees weakened as I ran towards them and within a blink of an eye… they disappeared.

January 22, 2021 15:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.