2 comments

Contemporary

I breathed heavily and stared at my window. I opened my window and I shivered, the cold wind blew onto my face. "You will marry him," My mother had said. The memory made me want to scream. I changed out of my dress and ran to my bathroom. I looked through the drawers frantically until I found scissors. My heart was beating quickly as I chopped off a chunk of my umber hair. Tears started forming in my eyes but, I knew people would recognize me as the princess if I didn't cut it off. I quickly chopped off the rest of my hair and took off the makeup and contacts that mother had forced me to wear. I changed into an outfit that one of the maids wore. I looked at myself in the mirror, I looked ready to escape. 

I walked over to the window and draped a thick piece of cloth over the window and started climbing down. I dropped to the ground with a thud. I stood up and looked up to the sky. The moon was like a crystal in the sky, I had never noticed how pretty it was. The thought disappeared as I realized that I had no transportation. I looked around and saw an old, used bike. I was hesitant but I realized I had no other option. I got onto the rusty bike and tried to use it. I kept falling off. I kept trying to use it. Soon I peddled away without falling. Soon enough I was out of breath and I decided to stop. I sat down next to a tree, while stargazing. I was extremely tired so I fell asleep in no time.

I suddenly woke up to birds chirping. I was confused for a second until I realized where I was. My back was aching and I was starving but this was better than getting married to that selfish prince. I stood up and hopped on the bike. The fresh breeze felt great on my skin. I biked around until I got to the village. When I got there I saw an old lady near me. “Excuse me little girl, do you live here” She said kindly. I was frozen for a second until I blurted “Yeah I used to live here I’m just visiting”. “Alright your majesty” She replied chuckling. My heart stopped for a second. “How did you know?” I whispered. “Well honey I’ve lived here longer than you or your parents were alive” She replied. “Please don’t tell anyone” I begged not knowing what to say. “Woah there,” She said chuckling. “No please promise you won’t tell anyone” I cried. “Calm down I won’t” She said concerned. I nodded and she handed me some bread. “Thank you” I said looking down. 

I biked some more until I ran over a stone. I quickly got off the bike and checked the wheel. “Ugh” A male voice groaned. I turned around and saw a boy around my age. I suddenly recognized him. “Alexander?” I questioned. “Amelia,” He exclaimed. “What are you doing here?” I asked suspiciously. “I’m running away,” He said looking down. “Me too” I exclaimed, a little too excited. “Well bye Alex, good luck” I said. “Wait” He said nervously. “What?” I said turning around. “What if we go together it’ll be like an adventure?” He said full of hope. I couldn’t let him down, he was my best friend after all. “Fine” I said smiling. 

We walked for a bit until we were too tired to walk any more. I flopped down and gave him some of the bread. It was a little stale and really hard but It tasted good after not eating for a whole day. I looked at Alex but quickly looked back. “The moon looks pretty tonight,” I said, trying to start some conversation. “Yeah it does” He replied plainly. I had this feeling that I’ve never experienced before, It was like I was going to throw up but it didn’t feel bad. I didn’t know why because I had always felt like I could be myself around him.

I looked at him to find him fidgeting with a pebble. Then I remembered how the wedding was supposed to be today. A sudden pang of sadness hit me. Then I thought about how mother was so cruel to be and how the prince I was supposed to marry was so full of himself. The night sky was like a painting above me. The cool breeze felt great and the grass slightly swayed. “Here” Alex said, suddenly handing me a bouquet of flowers. “Oh wow thanks” I said, trying not to blush. “For my best friend in the entire world” He grinned. For some reason the flowers seemed less special then. I still held on to the flowers. We both layed down on the soft grass while looking up at the sky. We fell asleep soon after that. 

“Amelia” Alex shouted at me. “What?” I said yawning. “Let’s get going, we have a big day ahead” He said excitedly. I stood up to find him ready to go. We started walking and it was quieter than it usually was when we were together. “Where are we going?” I blurted. “You’ll see” He said with a grin on his face. We walked until we reached a river. We sat down for a little while until a girl with dark brown hair and dark green eyes approached us.

 “Oh Aly” She said, hugging Alex. I stood there confused. “Aren’t you going to introduce us?” I said confused. “Oh yeah this is my friend Ameila and this is the love of my life, Mary” He said grinning at Mary. “What” I said, speechless. “Oh didn’t I mention how I ran away because my parents didn’t let me marry a non-royal” He said casually. “No,” I said, filled with rage. I walked away from them until I couldn't see them anymore. It was dark so I decided to lay down. I held the flowers up to the moon. The flowers were wilted so I put them down. I guess my only friend was the moon.

April 16, 2021 15:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

17:45 Apr 16, 2021

This was a little short, but sweet. I mean, more sickly sweet... but I loved it anyway :)

Reply

17:48 Apr 16, 2021

lol yeah I was thinking of making it a series and I was worried it I made it longer I wouldn't finish. heh heh. And yes it is "sweet" I kinda hate it now that i'm looking back at it. but... thanks :)))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.