2 comments

Fantasy LGBTQ+ Teens & Young Adult

Epilogue

“You just died!” I roared at Rick who smiled at me carelessly. “If it wasn’t for a miracle, you’d still be dead!”

Rick’s room threw me off with how normal it was for a prince. The walls were painted blue and the carpet was eggshell white. He had posters of rock bands and movie stars plaster on every wall.

“I’m alright, Naveen. I told you already, I’m not throwing in the towel until you and I tie the knot,” Rick chuckled his hair matted on his forehead and his checks flushed red.

“Damn it, Rick!” I grabbed the collar of his black leather jacket and pushed his back against the wall. “You’re not getting this shit in your head! You got killed!” I tried to stop the trembling in my voice.

“Yeah, well, death is a little less permanent when your boyfriend can rewind time,” Rick gently pushed back against me, his body slightly leaning against mine.

“Look,” I said. “I’m not good at this kind of crap but, you don’t get what it was like, seeing you lie there like that,”

“You were worried about me, I do get it, but I’m alive so you can stop worrying,” Rick walked past me and fell onto his bed. “I’m just a little tired. Dying goes take a lot out of you,”

“It’s more than that! I wasn’t just worried about you! I fucking lost you!” I flopped down next to him.

“And you don’t think I know that?” Rick said. “I literally died! You don’t think I’m bothered by that?”

“You sure as hell ain’t acting like it!” I snapped.

“How should I be acting, Naveen? Please tell me, I’m kind of new at this coming back from the dead thing!”

“You don’t get to do that! You don’t get to be pissed off with me when you’re the one who left me just to get murdered by that psycho!”

“Farad kidnapped your sister to lure you there! Why would I bring you-!”

“Because you should have known I was going to follow you anyway! He kidnapped my sister and you thought it would be a good idea to hand yourself to him on a fucking platter?”

“I didn’t think that-“

“Yes! You didn’t think! Jesus! You charged in, got yourself killed and I came anyway because…” I trailed off.

“You followed because you wanted to be the hero, Naveen. Don’t act like it was anything else! Congrats! Mission accomplished!” Rick yelled.

“Look,” I sighed. “I’m not trying to fight with. It’s just a lot to process right now,”

“I don’t want to fight either, but you just don’t get it. Yes, you rewound time, but I remember dying. I remember Farad stabbing me through my chest with his sword,” Rick whispered.

 “Come here,” I laid next to him and pulled him in close to me. “I’m sorry. I should have checked in with you instead of yelling. It’s true. I’ll never know what it’s like for you coming back from the dead,” I kissed his cheek.

“Thanks. I’m sorry too. I hope that I’ll never have to cope with the idea of losing you,” Rick looked me in the eye.

“I just don’t want you to do shit like that ever again, Rick. You and I can’t think about life that way,” I said.

“What do you mean?” Ricked asked. “Think of life how?”

“In terms of sacrifice,” I answered. “We don’t need to tackle problems by ourselves with the idea of laying our lives on the line,”

“I’m not sure I follow,” Rick’s eyes narrowed.

“Do you remember when we fought that first Never Bright together way back when?” I smiled.

“The one who could summon shadow creatures!” Rick’s eyes lit up with recognition.

“You and I kicked ass together. I slowed the movements of his shadow creatures with my time magic. You worked a little mind magic and persuaded him to give up,” I chuckled.

“The first of many great battles,” Rick joined in the laughter. “But why are you bringing that up now?”

“Because we did it together. We’re powerful alone. Each of us could probably take an army of shadow creatures by ourselves, but together, you and I can take on the world,” I relied.

“That’s not how I was taught. In my world, sacrifice comes with the crown. It’s the reason it’s so heavy. As the prince sacrifice comes so naturally because it’s what I was groomed for,” Rick looked away from me.

“But thar’s not how it works here. You don’t ever have to lay down your life for me or anyone. What we do, we do together,” I leaned into him. “You and I are a literal force of magic and power,”

“Yeah, I guess you and I are pretty great,” Rick smirked.

“So, you promise you won’t go off on your own again?” I pleaded.

“You don’t really make it easy for me to refuse with those guilt tripping puppy eyes,” he pecked me on the cheek.

“That’s the trick,” I pecked him back. “We don’t always get each other but I do know how to work you occasionally,”

“Sometimes,” Rick agreed.

“So…Are we okay?” I asked. “I mean are you okay doing thing as a team instead of running off on our own?”

“I suppose you do have a point. When we pull our strengths, we are pretty formidable,” Rick answered.

“So, are you going to tell your family that you died?” I asked hesitantly.

“I don’t think so. Explaining everything to my sister alone would be more trouble than it’s worth. I couldn’t imagine telling my parents about it,”

“That’s true. I don’t think the king and queen would be too keen on the fact that you died,” I added.

“On that note what do you think about sleeping over tonight?” Rick asked.

“I should probably get by to my sister. She’s going to have a lot of questions and I think it’s about time that I gave her some answers,” I kissed Rick’s forehead.

January 15, 2021 04:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Scarlet Scribe
04:36 Jan 21, 2021

Interesting story but a little hard to follow although that could be because I wrote 1379 words on my book and a poem today. I did find a few things in the story to change - mostly typos. Plaster on every wall plastered on every wall Dying goes take does take fight with. fight with you. Ricked asked. Rick asked world,” I relied I replied we pull our strengths pool our strengths get by to my sister get back to I sometimes have to read my work three times before I see typos. I know the story is flowing and everyth...

Reply

Joseph Robinson
22:04 Jan 21, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.