1 comment

Lesbian Romance Sad

Seafoam graced the soft white-sanded shore and two twin doves soared overhead. A light wind carried the calming ocean air and pushed the small sails of children's play ships. Together the children, hand in hand, chased their ships as the ocean carried them away. Their light steps made small indents on the sand and scattered the small shells and fish that lingered near the shore. A gust of wind came and the tiny ships drifted further so that the children could no longer follow. It was early morning, there was no lifeguard on duty, so the children walked back and sat on a large rock to watch their ships venture without them. They had tied their ships masts with thin string so that they would always stay together. Like their ships, they wanted to stay together too. 

The younger of the two was a girl named Penelope. She had light blond hair and a splash of freckles upon her cheeks. This year she had turned six and was gifted her now favorite emerald-green dress. It had tiny frills at the hem, and slightly puffed shoulders. The collar had bothered her a little for it felt restrictive, but she was told it made her look smart so she kept it. On the rock, squeezing her companions hand she leaned closer and whispered, “ Want to know a secret?” Her companion, or rather closest friend was named Valentine. She was a dark haired girl and a year older. She had chestnut eyes and the most perfectly shaped smile that reminded one of a songbird who’d just found their mate. She nodded her head, and Penelope whispered, “I put a shell in my ship for the mermaids.” 

The two girls giggled themselves dumb and stayed on the rock till their mothers called them in for breakfast.They were best friends, but their mothers had the most horrible feud. Last year they tried throwing a Christmas party on the same day and a fight broke out. There were drunks in the pool, and vomit across the sand, and someone broke a table. It only ended in good spirits because the girls started singing the most marvelous song they’d never heard before. It perplexed them where the lyrics came from, and what language they had sang in, but they did not dwell on it. 

After breakfast, Penelope and Valentine returned to the shore to build a sand castle. They gathered seaweed and some sticks. “Hey Penelope, do you think if I made a tunnel the fish would come visit our castle?” Penelope paused for a moment and sat thinking. She played with a small white shell and rubbed the ridges with her thumb. After a while she looked up and joked “Perhaps? Maybe if the castle is pretty enough?” They continued playing like this for years, time flew by like the sea breeze and they drifted together like their ships tied by a thin string.

It was valentine's day and they were in their first year of college. Penelope reflected on their time together as girls with a wistful smile. Exactly one year ago Valentine asked her on a date and they had only grown closer since. Today was their anniversary and Valentine planned everything down to the minute. She knew Penelope was especially fond of shells, and brought a tiny box with her to present to her as a token of her love. They agreed to meet up at their rock and when Valentine arrived she saw Penelope sitting at the edge lightly skimming the water with her feet. The moonshine coupled with the sea dust and crisp air only worked in Penelope's favor. To Valentine at least, Penelope was the most beautiful creature to ever grace the earth. She climbed up the rock and they sat together in bliss. They spoke for hours and as the night grew older Penelope's hair looked lighter and lighter. Valentine gave credit to the moon and Penelope laughed lightly at this. “Alright I am a little early but,” taking the small box from her purse Valentine continued nervously, “I got you something extra special.” Penelope looked at the small wooden box in curiosity and a playful smile creased her eyes. She opened the box and stared down at a white shell. Tears gathered in her eyes and she placed the necklace around her neck. “Thank you so much Vali.” 

The moon rose to its highest point and they decided to call it a night. They walked together up the shore and parted only when they reached the doors to their homes. Valentine paused as she  stepped through her doorway and popped her head out to say, “See ya tomorrow, eight sharp okay?” Penelope looked up, as she had been staring down and fiddling with her new necklace, “Yeah eight sharp.” Valentine shut her door and went up to her room to sleep, waiting for the morning to come. Penelope stood stiff, staring at the shell. I was a wonderful gift really, if only she could truly accept it. She ran her fingers under the shell and searched for where the muscle would have been. “You poor thing…”she trailed off as she watched the ocean, “I will return you.” She hastily removed her necklace and then the chain from the shell. Walking in a giant so as to leave little trace of her steps she went to the rock again, and then to their spot where they’d built their castle so many times, and dug a tunnel. “I left a bottle here, hoping she would find it. Well, this is okay too I guess.” She uncapped the bottle and slid the chain in gently, only partially burying it this time. 

The black, heavy, cold water snapped at her feet. Clouds passed overhead and dropped her fine light hair into a sad shade of grey. Her light freckles shone like fireflies in a forest and cast a small ring of light round her face. She held the seashell in her fist and glanced up at Valentines rooms window before giving-in to the deep pull of the ocean. 

The next day, Valentine awoke at seven thirty and hastily got ready to meet Penelope. Usually they grabbed breakfast together and headed to their morning class. The day was especially sunny and the sand was hot to the touch, so Valentine grabbed a parasol for Penelope. She had always been sensitive to the light, for lack of melanin she was easily burned, so Valentine made sure to always have something to shield her. Time passed gruesomely slow as she stood near the door, awaiting Penelope to come out in her usual sunhat and green dress. A whole hour passed before she decided to walk along the beach in search of her. It was a common occurrence that she would stay up late at night and sleep on the beach. Before Valentine could walk too far from the doorway, however, a shimmering light caught her attention. 

She uncovered the bottle and hurriedly opened it. Inside was a letter, a chain, and a pearl. Rather perplexed and not in the mood to read the tiny childish writing in the letter, she continued to search for Penelope. After hours of walking, Valentine gave up and decided to read the letter even if it hurt her eyes for poor penmanship. The paper grew heavy with salty water and the ink smeared in large circles, releasing a deep sigh Valentine breathed, “You said eight sharp.”

November 14, 2020 08:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

23:22 Dec 03, 2020

Amazing story! The only note I really have is the fact that you need to make a new paragraph in a few places (like diolouge and stuff) I really liked the fact you added a story from their childhood at the begining and the realated it to the end. I also like the way you described how they looked. Your discriptive words were really nice and I enjoyed reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.