The Runaway

Submitted into Contest #47 in response to: Suitcase in hand, you head to the station.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure

                                                          The Runaway

                                                           Suzanne Marsh

           You had a huge argument with your parents. You decide that enough is enough, they are always

putting your friends down. So, what do you do? Simple run away from home, that will teach them! You feign being sick, so sick you can't go to school. You are thirteen and know more than your parents do. You begin to formulate a plan; a good one you think. You decide that the first thing is where to go. You have an aunt in New York City, New York that would love to have you there or so she has said. She is your mother's sister. Okay, now to set the plan in motion, you have to have money, no money; no go anywhere. That's logical. Now, the next thing is how to get the money. You have to find your passbook. You think for several moments, ah the light bulb comes on, you put it in your top dresser draw. You begin a slow leisurely look for the passbook; that suddenly turns into toss things over the head and thinking that either your mother confiscated it or you lost it. Not a good thing. Finally, you see it at the bottom of the drawer. 

           You need to take a taxi to bank. You have two dollars in reserve. You grab that, call the yellow taxi service. You quickly meet the taxi in the driveway. It would not do if the neighbor saw you, she would call your mother immediately. The taxi pulls up, you jump in. Tell him you want him to wait for you at the bank. That little checkered passbook is burning a hole in your hand. As soon as the taxi stops, you jump out, run into the bank. You take fifty dollars out and leave five. You remember that you always keep something in reserve. Then you think, damn I need a traveling companion. You run to Woolworth's Five and Dime store, they have canaries there. You saw an orange one the last time you were there. You hope the canary is still there. You walk over to the cage. There it is, and it is singing, good that means it is a male.

           You get back in the cab and head back to the house. Now for the next part of the planned escape. You, call one of your girlfriend’s, both her parents work also. She tells you the coast is clear; they won't be home until eight in the evening; meaning you have to be gone by seven. Once you finish talking to her you call the train station. The next train leaves at nine o'clock tonight. Well, you decide you are just going to have to chance it. Maybe you could hide in her room until it is time to leave for the train station. That is providing the neighbor has not said anything to your parents. 

           You and your girlfriend sit around talking. She asks where you are going to go. You tell her to your aunt's home in New York City. She smiles wistfully thinking about the bright city lights and being away from home. Her mother and father are alcoholics. She thinks it would be great to be able to leave but she has a brother and sister that need her here. You babble on about how your life is about to change. It has to living with your favorite aunt and uncle. New York City has so many possibilities for you. You tell her about the huge home your aunt has. You tell her about the subway and all the places your mom has taken you when you visited your grandmother there. It sounds wonderful to your friend. You tell her you wish she could go also but as she pointed out someone has to care for her brother and sister. 

           She begins to make supper as you watch her. She really knows her way around the kitchen you think. Your mother, if all is going well simply did not burn the dinner, last night’s Swiss Steak is still a burnt memory from last night. Something about burned green peppers just does not do it for you. Your friend is making a stuffed chicken dinner, her parents will do doubt drink theirs. You hope to be long gone before they return. You determine if you take a taxi to the train station about eight o'clock, you will have time to buy your ticket and get settled for the eight hour journey to New York City and freedom. You think of the welcome your aunt and uncle will give, it will be a glorious reunion for the three of you. It has been two years since the last time you and your mother saw them. This time it will be just you. You think it would be nice if you can convince them to adopt you then you would have your own niche in life, not your mother wanting you to become a nun and your wanting you to grow up and fly straight. Most of all he wants you to be your own person, under his rules of course.

           Suddenly, your girlfriend’s eyes fly to the door, her parents are home early. She motions me to hide in her bedroom as we had planned. She will figure out a way to get you out of the house sight unseen. Just how she is planning to do this; is not in your scope. You hope her mind is a devious as yours. You hear her father's voice first; he already sounds like he is six shades to the wind. Her mother comes in next, complaining about the bad day she has had at the office. Your girlfriend is in a real jam thanks to you. Dinner is late which in turn makes her parents angry. Her father cusses her out, her mother slaps her face. That is about all that you can stand. You open the door and march out to meet the parents. You explain that she is helping you. They ask your name, then the question you were hoping to avoid, where are your parents? Do they know you are here? Damn drunks, they should mind their own damn business. You hastily explain that no they have no idea where you are, that you are going to New York City to live with your aunt and uncle. 

           They ask you for your telephone number which you give very unwillingly. Her father places the phone call. Once he hangs up, he turns to you: “Your parents will be here in about fifteen minutes.” He turns and heads to his chair in front of the television.

           Your parents arrive, your mother rings the doorbell. Your father is in the car, looking not very amused. You are now grounded for the rest of your natural life.  You know that won't be more than a few days. After meeting your girlfriend's mother and father yours do not seem so bad. Have you learned your lesson?

June 26, 2020 19:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

DL Capio
16:31 Aug 03, 2020

You made me realise that knowing others hardship is one of the ways to make us understand how simple we're going through compared to them. Nice subject and practical moral lesson!

Reply

Sue Marsh
18:43 Aug 03, 2020

thank you; it was a lesson I learned the hard way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.