1 comment

Adventure Fiction Romance

Just like every week day of the past 30 years Eric has stood at the platform anxiously checking his watch. When he heard the roar and ding of the doors opening he hoped with every aching swollen joint that he would be seated during the hour commute.

Eric stood trying to stretch the kinks out of his back and hold on to the handle at the same time. He was grateful to be taller than most as his nose was not forced into another armpit, or inhaling cologne splashed upon someones neck that soap has clearly not touched in far too long.

What kept him somewhat sane during the commute was not helping but to hear random conversations. With the roar of the train and buzz of packed in like sardine commuters full context was never legible. Which left him to fill in the blanks. It was a bonus when someone under him was obviously hard of seeing. Thinking they were safe texting the money they stole, seedy encounters with strangers and once even what looked like a plot to off a wealthy husband.

To Eric's glee the universe revolved around him at the very moment he though his knee that the doctors insisted 6 years prior needed to be replaced would betray him; the roaring became a dull hum that pleased his ears while the most beautiful woman he had the pleasure to lay his eyes upon beckoned him to have a seat beside her.

His sight became tunnel as he only saw her long flowing mahogany hair which accented her deep brown almost black eyes that were luring him in. There were no crow feet or droopy eyelids hiding the deepness. Her cheek bones were high and smooth looking kissed by the sun. Her lush lips were telling him she had no need to frown or perch them in anger. He knew she would be able to rest her head upon his shoulder by the way her back had the slightest arch pressed firm onto the back of the seat. With her back straight it was impossible not to notice the perk of her bosom flowing over the top of her blouse. His eyes followed the flatness of her stomach towards what he knew to be hour glass hips as her long legs that had no need for panty hose were crossed at her ankles. The black hardly worn stilettos made him think a black town car would be at the next stop waiting for her.

As he lowered down to sit beside her nothing cracked or caused discomfort, his back too pressed firm against the seat. As he tucked his long legs under the seat he noticed the ease in which he moved, his bulky shoes with doctor prescribed in soles were replaced with the best perfectly polished mens shoe Sears had to offer. The hands that should have been relying upon a cane appeared to be manicured and ringless.

Eric could not take his eyes off her as he introduced himself and thanked her for the seat. Nor did she take her eyes off him as she replied it was her pleasure and introduced herself as Carol. He felt heat rush to his cheeks as he told her that was his wife name.

Staring into each others eyes they discovered a lifetime of intimate knowledge about one another. The only sound Eric heard was the sweet melody of Carols voice, the only sight her beauty.

He knew she would be a wife he was honored to come home to and a mother that would marvel him 4 times over. He was sure there would be slight bickering until laugh lines would begin to appear upon her face. He knew the house he could offered would be made into a glorious home by her hand. Dinner would be kept warm and served at the dinning room table with everyone laughing and recapping any moment he missed while hart at providing.

He knew for fact that before he would place upon her hand his great grandmothers ring that he needed to take her to the blue waters and white shoreline she dreamed of.

The seats they had their backs pressed against now cushioned, the roar of the train was the sound of the plane landing. Eric stood over Carol taking the over head luggage from its compartment. Carol; stood to offer assistance, when the luggage came tumbling down she bellowed a laugh and nuzzled into his neck telling him she knew he would drop it. He opened the door of the black town car for her and watched as she climbed in tugging at her shorts as not to expose too much. He slid next to her unbuttoning his white dress shirt exposing just enough hair for Carol to twirl her fingers through. He requested the driver to bring them straight to the beach.

They watched with anticipation as the urban airport was replaced by palm tress and white sand as far as the eye could see. As the blue of the ocean appeared in sight the gripped hands tighter. Eric lowered the window to draw in the warm breeze telling carol to take a deep breath and inhale the wondrous scent of happiness.

Eric stepped out of the car first reaching for Carols hand.

He spun her into an embrace asking her if she was pleased. She squealed with excitement as the warmth of the sun exhilarated her skin the sound of crashing waved thrilled her.

Eric kicked off his shoes as Carol followed suit. They stood for a moment digging their toes into the sand. She giggled as she drew with her toe, "I will always love you, through time and space we will always be together"

He stared at the words and could hear her saying them over and over. The longer he stared they blurrier they became. His heart started to beat fast and could feel each rapid beat within his ears. He felt his hand tingling within hers, he felt an urgency to let go but could not bare the thought of such. Far in the distance he could hear sirens as anxiety was running through his veins.

Carol tugged at his hand becoming his towards the ocean. He looked at her face glowing from the rays of the sun as his heart began beating just for her. He leaned in for a kiss as she lead him into the deep blue abyss.

April 17, 2021 13:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cookie Carla🍪
18:59 Apr 20, 2021

Heyo!! Can you read my story "Sign of a Haunt"? It was the first story last week that I threw out because I had HORRIBLE Writer's Block😭. I think it turned out pretty great and I'd love to get feedback :DD

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.