7 comments

Sad Fiction Inspirational

I open my eyes slowly. It seems like such a difficult thing to do... I can feel today is different. I think I might know why. I always knew this day would come, and I am happy to live it till the end. 

The first thing I see is Bonny. She is there like always smiling at me, remembering me that life is beautiful and people are good. I remember the day when I received Bonny, my fluffy bunny. It was my first toy, even if I was already fully grown. Claudia gave it to me on the day my life started again. What a beautiful memory. 

My thoughts were disturbed by Charlie. He comes to me full of energy and joy. He wants to play. He brings Piggy, one of our squeaky toys. He doesn’t dare to touch Bonny. I made it very clear since he joined our family, that Bonny is mine. I make an effort to stand up and I try to take the toy from his mouth. I am bigger, but he is stronger. My whole body hurts. I don’t resist long and he runs victorious, with his paws pitter-pattering on the wood floor. I smile in my head, remembering how good it feels to win this battle.

Claudia comes into the room. I'm so excited to see her today, especially if she brings food. I can sense she has treats in her hand. I hurry to get them before Charlie. But of course, he is already near her trying to get all of them. Selfish bastard. Claudia stops him with her firm voice and he immediately becomes ashamed of his behavior. She comes to me and gives me a big treat. What a delight... nothing compares to getting a treat from your favorite person in the world. I give her a lot of kisses.

“Good boy Bondo! You are great, she says. Do you want to go see gramma and grampa?”

“Oh YES!” I say, wagging my tail. Charlie is even more enthusiastic than me. Claudia understands our answers and she prepares the things for the trip. Charlie and I are following her closely. Everything she does is so interesting. I could never stop watching and admiring her. What an honor it is to live at the same time and space as this human. If I had her from the beginning of my life, would I appreciate her less?

She puts me in the car, and Charlie hopped easily on the back seat. We were very excited. Claudia doesn’t always take us with her when she leaves, but when she does is the most awesome feeling you could imagine. The ride is nice and the music in the car is great. Claudia has amazing taste in music. I wish she had amazing taste in partners as well. I guess it’s hard to have both. 

Gramma and Grampa are waiting for us in front of their house. They are so kind to welcome us like this. I haven’t seen them since last week, or month… since last time. They are very happy to see us. But I can see a little sadness in their eyes too. They have shiny eyes like they are trying to hold back their tears. They pet me and Charlie and then they hug Claudia.  

Charlie of course runs to see the chickens. I was the same at his age. Now I still want to see them but I can’t be so fast. I finally arrive at the chickens’ place. They are so funny. Always joking and making eggs. And they are also fluffy. Maybe in the next life, I will be a chicken. I wish.

I smell cats nearby. But I’m too lazy to find them. Charlie is too focused on the chickens to sense them. The humans are talking and my grandma is cooking. She is the best chef. I am going near her, maybe she’ll give me something good. She always does. She gives me even more food this time. I think she’s in a good mood today. The lunch is ready. Humans sit, eating. What a weird thing to do while you are eating. Maybe it's because they have only two legs. Or they are just lazy, like me sometimes. Charlie and I stay close to grandma, aka the weak link, hoping for some human food even if we have plenty of our own food waiting for us. It’s very hot today. I will drink some water. 

When it’s the time to leave, gramma and grampa hug me, very very tight. Grampa whispers something in my year that I can’t understand. But I’m sure it was something sweet. The first time I met him, I thought he didn’t like me. He was always grumpy and strict. I thought he was one of the bad humans. But after some time, I realized he is a softy and now he is one of my favorites. I’ll never forget the first time I fell asleep in his lap while he read the newspaper. After that, our relationship became stronger. I feel so grateful to have such cool grandparents. 

After we get in the car, they stay in front of their house waving at us, smiling, but with shiny, wet eyes. This picture makes my eyes wet too. I feel so tired. 

I don’t even realize that we arrive home already. I think I fell asleep. The day is almost over, it was a beautiful one. But I still have one thing left to do, which I didn’t write on my to-do list because I don’t have pens. Once I tried to steal one, and Claudia was not happy with the message I left on the carpet. Since then, I am not allowed to write anymore and I have to memorize everything, like my brain doesn’t  already have enough smells to remember.

Charlie is taking a nap in his bed. He doesn’t notice me when I get closer. But when he smells Bonny, he wakes up. I put her down near him. He is shocked. He doesn’t know what to do. It takes a minute for him to realize what this means. Then, very timid, he slowly takes Bonny in his mouth. Keeping eye contact with me to make sure he understood right and that I’m not getting mad. He is a good kid. Bonny will be safe with him, Claudia too.  

While Charlie is playing with Bonny, I go to Claudia. She helps me get on the couch as I am not able to jump anymore. I dig a little bit on the couch to make the place more comfortable. Then I take a nap, resting my head on her leg. She smells so nice, and it’s so warm. It makes me feel like home. I am so grateful for this feeling. 

When I wake up, it’s time to go. Claudia puts me in the car. She holds my hand all the ride, transmitting me calmness and love. I can see tears rolling down her cheeks, and I know where we are going, but I’m still the happiest, luckiest boy in the world.

September 30, 2020 18:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Andrew Krey
01:25 Oct 09, 2020

Hi Silvia, I liked your story. I love dogs, and this story has some well observed elements of dog behaviour. I liked that the dog couldn't judge the amount of time passed, and when age stopped them from chasing chickens anymore. It was a very creative take on the prompt too. I hope the feedback was helpful. Happy writing

Reply

Silvia Szabo
14:57 Oct 10, 2020

Thank you Andrew! I'm very grateful for your feedback :)

Reply

Andrew Krey
12:04 Oct 11, 2020

You're welcome Silvia

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:18 Oct 08, 2020

Hi What a lovely story and your use of this prompt very creative. You have tapped into my sentimentality, my memories of dogs from my past. Your words paint a portrait of living and loss that is truly universal. Keep writing!

Reply

Silvia Szabo
17:50 Oct 08, 2020

Thank you very much for reading my story and for your kind comment! It means a lot to me :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lourenço Amorim
11:19 Oct 08, 2020

One of the best stories I read here. A lovely story about truer love in the world: dog love. Excellent characters and great work of describing the world through the eyes of an old dog. Hoping for your next tale.

Reply

Silvia Szabo
11:32 Oct 08, 2020

Thank you so much! Your comment made my day :) I will read your stories too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.