11 comments

Adventure Fiction Funny

Prologue: A Devil's Bargain

Fifteen years ago, Bob McFadden sat slumped over a chipped bar counter, the fifth whiskey in his hand barely warming the cold, empty space inside him. The bar, a dingy dive where Hope went to die, was lit by flickering neon signs that cast ghostly green and red shadows on the stained walls. Bob, a failed musician who had peaked before he ever truly began, stared into his glass, lost in the swirl of his shattered dreams.

A man appeared at his side as he contemplated the relentless tide of failures that had swept him away from his youthful ambitions. He was tall and impeccably dressed in a black suit that seemed to drink in the light around it. His eyes, glowing like embers from a long-forgotten fire, cut through the gloom, fixing on Bob with an intensity that made the alcohol in his veins run cold.

"I hear you've got some problems, Bob," the man said, his voice smooth and rich, like the finest whiskey.

Bob looked up, bleary-eyed but not entirely oblivious to the significance of this encounter. He already knew, deep down, who this man was.

"Who are you?" he asked, though his voice lacked the conviction of genuine curiosity.

The man's lips curled into a smile with sharp angles and cruel humor. "You can call me Lou. And I've got an offer you can't refuse."

Lou's words were as seductive as they were sinister. In just fifteen minutes—barely more than a conversation—Bob McFadden had everything he'd ever wanted: fame, fortune, and, oddly enough, an endless supply of peanut butter cups. For a time, life was beyond good; it was a wild, glittering dream. He basked in the adoration of fans, relished the luxury of his mansion, and found a strange comfort in his inexhaustible stash of candy.

But as the fifteenth year drew near, the sheen of success began to dull. Bob's hit songs, once anthems of a generation, had become tired, overplayed relics. The money, which had once flowed like a river, now dripped like a leaky faucet. Even the peanut butter cups, once a sweet indulgence, now brought only nausea. Worst of all, the contract he had signed—sealed in blood and with a smirk—was set to expire in exactly one month. Bob could feel the darkness closing in on him like a suffocating shroud.

That's when the nightmares began.

Chapter 1: The Nightmare's Grasp

Every night, the same horrifying dream played out in Bob's mind: Lou, now unmistakably the devil, emerged from the shadows with a grin that promised nothing but torment. The devil dragged Bob down, down into the fiery pits of hell, where the heat, the stench of sulfur, and the screams of the damned became Bob's reality. He'd wake up each morning drenched in cold sweat, the echoes of those screams ringing in his ears, the ticking clock of his life growing louder, more insistent.

But Bob wasn't one to go quietly. The man who had clawed his way to stardom with nothing but grit and desperation wasn't about to surrender his soul without a fight. Rumors swirled in the dark corners of the world, whispers of people who had outwitted the devil, who had found and destroyed their contracts before the deadline, saving their souls from eternal damnation. It was a long shot, but it was all Bob had left.

With nothing but a hastily packed bag and a lingering dread, Bob set off on his life's most absurd, dangerous, and potentially redemptive journey.

Chapter 2: The Map of Misfortune

Bob's first stop was a forgotten city corner where the buildings sagged with age and despair. Nestled between two crumbling brownstones was the musty labyrinth of Madame Zyzzyva's bookstore—a place spoken of only in hushed tones by those who dabbled in the darker arts. The narrow door seemed barely held together by sheer stubbornness, and a bell jangled ominously as Bob pushed it open. The air inside was thick with the scent of incense and old books, making Bob's nose twitch.

The interior was a chaotic maze of bookshelves, each groaning under the weight of dusty tomes, cracked leather-bound grimoires, and strange trinkets that gleamed with a malevolent light. Cobwebs draped the ceiling like tattered banners, and somewhere in the back, a candle sputtered, casting flickering shadows that seemed to move with a life of their own.

"Madame Zyzzyva?" Bob called out, his voice wavering as he ventured further into the gloom.

A sound, like old paper crumpling, preceded the appearance of Madame Zyzzyva herself. She emerged from behind a teetering stack of books, an ancient figure with skin-like parchment and eyes that gleamed with a sharpness that belied her frail appearance. She wore layers of mismatched scarves and shawls, giving her the appearance of a mystical if slightly unhinged, gypsy queen.

"Looking for something, dear?" she asked, her voice crackling like the pages of the dusty volumes surrounding them.

Bob swallowed, trying to steady his nerves. "Yeah. I need a map. One that shows me how to find the devil."

Madame Zyzzyva's eyebrows shot up, and she was silent for a long moment, her gaze piercing through Bob as if she could see straight into his soul—what little was left of it, anyway.

"The devil, you say? Not an easy fellow to find, but not impossible," she finally said, her lips curling into a smile that was both sly and menacing. "For the right price, of course."

Bob's heart sank. He had nothing left to offer—no money, no possessions. He was on the verge of losing his soul. But before he could stammer an excuse, Madame Zyzzyva's eyes twinkled with a knowing gleam.

"Ah, don't fret. I've always had a soft spot for desperate souls. I'll give you the map on one condition: bring me back a souvenir from the Underworld. Something small but meaningful."

Bob nodded eagerly, relief washing over him like a tide. "Deal."

Madame Zyzzyva shuffled to a cluttered drawer and pulled out a crumpled, coffee-stained piece of parchment. She handed it to Bob with a mischievous and foreboding grin.

"Good luck," she said, her voice dripping with irony. "You'll need it."

Bob unrolled the map, only to find a chaotic jumble of lines, symbols, and scribbles that twisted and turned in ways that made his head spin. The map seemed to shift under his gaze as though it was alive, constantly rewriting itself. But it was all he had, so with a deep breath, he tucked it into his coat pocket and stepped back out into the world, the weight of the task ahead pressing heavily on his shoulders.

Chapter 3: Descent into the Abyss

Following the map was like navigating through a nightmare. It led Bob down dark, twisting alleys and through fog-shrouded forests, each step taking him closer to the Underworld's entrance. The journey was a surreal blur of bizarre encounters that challenged his resolve and sanity.

He passed through the Hall of Lost Causes, a vast, echoing chamber filled with the wailing spirits of those who had made deals as dire as Bob's. The air was thick with regret and despair, and the walls were lined with countless doors leading nowhere. Bob hurried past them, the mournful cries of lost souls ringing in his ears, a chilling reminder of what awaited him if he failed.

Next, the map guided him to the Sea of Endless Forms, a vast expanse of paperwork that stretched beyond the horizon. The forms floated like bloated corpses, each brimming with dense, unreadable text. Bob waded through the sea, the weight of bureaucratic nightmares threatening to pull him under. Waves of tax forms, legal documents, and fine print surged around him, clawing at his legs, trying to drag him into the murky depths. By the time he reached the far shore, he was soaked, exhausted, and thoroughly sick of anything resembling paperwork.

Despite the absurdity and horror of it all, Bob felt something stir within him—a flicker of determination. With every surreal encounter, the despair that had clung to him for years transformed into resolve. The devil wasn't going to take his soul without a fight.

Chapter 4: The Bureaucratic Abyss

Finally, after what felt like an eternity of endless trudging through hellish landscapes, Bob entered the Bureaucratic Abyss. The portal was a massive, yawning maw of darkness framed by towering columns that twisted like serpents. Above it, a sign flickered ominously: "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter the Queue."

"Welcome to the Bureaucratic Abyss," a voice droned from the shadows.

Bob looked up to see a demon standing before him, dressed in a rumpled, ill-fitting suit that seemed to have been neglected for centuries. The demon had a dull, gray complexion and held a clipboard in one clawed hand, a permanent scowl etched into his features. This was Phil, the Demon Accountant, whose unfortunate job was to manage the endless paperwork of the damned.

"I'm here for my contract," Bob said, trying to keep the desperation out of his voice as he stepped forward, the heavy shadows of the Abyss pressing down on him.

Phil sighed a long-suffering sound that echoed in the vast chamber. "Of course you are. They always are. Look, I can't just give it to you. There's paperwork, procedures, regulations..."

Bob's heart sank, feeling as though the weight of the entire Abyss was pressing on his chest. He was so close, yet the crushing bureaucracy threatened to snatch victory from his grasp. But then, Madame Zyzzyva's parting words echoed in his mind: bring back a souvenir.

Reaching into his bag, Bob pulled out a slightly crumpled peanut butter cup, one of the few he hadn't discarded in disgust. It had been with him throughout the journey, a small, persistent reminder of his past.

Phil's eyes, dull and lifeless, suddenly gleamed with interest. "Is that...?"

Bob dangled the candy just out of reach, feeling a surge of Hope. "Give me the contract, and it's yours."

For a moment, Phil hesitated, a battle of demonic instincts playing out behind those flat eyes. Then, with a resigned grunt, he snatched the peanut butter cup and stuffed it into his mouth, the wrapper crinkling as he chewed with a satisfied groan.

"Fine. Follow me," Phil mumbled through a chocolate and peanut butter mouthful, leading Bob deeper into the Abyss.

Phil guided Bob through a labyrinth of filing cabinets, each stretching into the darkness above, their metal sides covered in rust and strange, shifting symbols. The air was thick with the smell of ancient paper and ink, and the distant sound of scratching pens and shuffling forms filled the oppressive silence.

Finally, they reached a massive vault door so tall it seemed to disappear into the shadows above. Phil punched in a code on a rusted keypad, and with a groan of ancient gears, the door creaked open, revealing a single piece of paper resting on a pedestal in the center of the room—the contract.

Bob's heart pounded in his chest as he stepped forward, his eyes locked on the fragile paper that held his fate. He was just inches away when a low, menacing growl rumbled through the chamber.

Chapter 5: The Final Obstacle

Beelzebub's Cat, an enormous, black-furred beast with eyes like glowing coals, was perched atop the contract. Its fur shimmered like oil in the dim light, and its claws, gleaming like polished obsidian, tapped rhythmically on the pedestal. The Cat's gaze was locked on Bob, its expression one of pure malevolence.

"You've got to be kidding me," Bob muttered. He had faced demons, navigated through hellish landscapes, and survived bureaucratic nightmares, only to be stopped by a cat?

The Cat's growl deepened, vibrating through the floor and rattling Bob's bones. This was no ordinary cat; it was a guardian, a final test of Bob's resolve and cunning.

Bob took a cautious step forward, his hand reaching out slowly toward the contract. The Cat's eyes narrowed to slits, and it hissed, baring its fangs—each one sharp enough to slice through flesh and bone. Bob quickly pulled back, his mind racing. The Cat wouldn't budge unless he gave it a reason to.

Then, inspiration struck. Everything in the Underworld operated on contracts, deals, and rules. Even the Cat was bound by some unspoken agreement. All Bob needed to do was offer something irresistible.

Bob grinned, reaching into his bag once more. He pulled out a small, unopened can of tuna, the last remnant of his provisions. The Cat's ears perked up, watching him intently, its predatory gaze locked on the can.

"Here, kitty," Bob cooed, popping the lid with a soft click and placing the can a few feet away from the pedestal.

The Cat's eyes followed the can, its nostrils flaring as it caught the scent of fish. With a final, disdainful glance at Bob, the Cat leaped gracefully from the pedestal and padded over to the tuna, its massive paws making no sound on the cold stone floor.

Bob didn't waste a second. The moment the Cat was distracted, he lunged for the contract, snatching it off the pedestal with trembling hands. He could feel the power in the paper—the weight of his soul bound within its inked lines. Without hesitation, Bob tore the contract in half, the sound of ripping paper echoing through the chamber like a gunshot.

The Cat hissed in fury, but it was too late. The contract disintegrated into a puff of acrid smoke, and a rush of warmth flooded Bob's chest, filling the void growing inside him for years. His soul was his again, and the oppressive weight crushing him lifted, leaving him feeling light, almost buoyant.

Epilogue: A New Beginning

Bob emerged from the Underworld as the first light of dawn began to paint the sky in soft hues of pink and gold. He took a deep breath, savoring the cool air that filled his lungs. The nightmare was over. He was free.

His first stop was Madame Zyzzyva's bookstore, where the ancient occultist greeted him with a knowing smile. Bob handed her a small vial filled with sand from the Bureaucratic Abyss—a souvenir as dark and twisted as the journey he had undertaken.

"Congratulations, dear," Madame Zyzzyva said, her voice thick with satisfaction. "You've done the impossible."

Bob left the bookstore with a sense of purpose he hadn't felt in years. Once bleak and uncertain, the future stretched before him like an open road. But as he walked, he reflected on his journey. This wasn't just about saving his soul—it was about reclaiming his life, his will to fight, and his belief in himself.

Determined to use his hard-earned knowledge to help others avoid the same pitfalls, Bob opened a law firm specializing in supernatural contracts. Who better to help those entangled in deals with the devil than a man who had outsmarted the devil himself?

As for the peanut butter cups? Bob kept a stash in his desk drawer, a reminder of the sweet, absurd journey that had saved his soul. Every now and then, when a particularly tricky case came across his desk, he'd unwrap one and savor the taste, remembering the day he cheated the devil and won his freedom.

And so, Bob McFadden, the man who sold his soul to the devil and got it back, lived out the rest of his days with a smile on his face, a spring in his step, and a newfound appreciation for the fine print—because in the end, it was the small details that saved his soul.

August 24, 2024 17:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Paul Hellyer
12:50 Sep 05, 2024

I liked your style, the detail was vivid without being overdone or oppressive.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
16:17 Sep 05, 2024

Thanks for feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Christina Miller
01:43 Sep 05, 2024

This was a really cool and quirky read! Good job

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:45 Sep 02, 2024

I loved the entire feel of this story. It reminded me of a darker Phantom Tollbooth with your great descriptions of the different stops the protagonist has to make during their journey. You have a wonderful balance between sinister and comedy. “The Bureaucratic Abyss”…. that is just genius. Kudos! I truly enjoyed this.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
05:36 Sep 02, 2024

Thank you, Jacqueline. It was fun to write this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Sage
12:05 Sep 01, 2024

This is great. Just the right amount of tension, just the right amount of ridiculous, real detail to the worldbuilding as it unfolds. A rollercoaster with a chuckle!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
12:08 Sep 01, 2024

Thank you, Chris. I'm glad you like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zea Terry
10:41 Sep 01, 2024

I congratulate you on your lightness of style and talent. It's a good read, with curiosity about further events.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
10:51 Sep 01, 2024

Thank you kindly. I'm glad you like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:47 Aug 26, 2024

The devil's in the details.😈😜

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
17:29 Aug 26, 2024

That was the idea. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.