The Trip of a Lifetime

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten days.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure American

Its very quiet in this room of my home. I had just returned from the park after being in a Doctors office this morning. The news was not good, according to the many tests and results that ensued. I have been sitting in the park on my favorite bench watching the squirrels play in the trees of green, and the pigeons eating popcorn that was given by a woman probably in her seventies with grey hair put in a bun, and a dress that moved about in the wind. On the other side of me was a gentleman that was reading the newspaper of the day, and sighing heavily as he read the weather. "It is going to be raining soon," he exclaimed. I nodded in agreement, as I could hear the thunder from far away, and the smell of rain was in the air.

It was bad. It was a fast growing cancer that had travelled to many parts of my body. It seems that I have had it for awhile, and had no symptoms that I can pinpoint. I realized that the way things were said, there was not much time left. As I tried to at first push things out of my mind, the sonscience mind di not let me, it haunted me that I had not did anything that I wanted to do in my life. My house was once filled with children's laughter, but now is quiet. My children, oh my, what will they say? In all my life since I was a young girl I wanted to travel, to see the world my own way and time. But now, the time is short, and yet, enough time to plan a trip. I wanted this trip to be a whirlwind, I planned 10 days of joy for myself. A trip of wonder and adventure, of food and drink, a trip that would be worth every minute that I had left.

I was meeting with the travel agent this morning, and was so nervous I could hardly sleep the night before. I was drinking my coffee and realized that I had not yet dressed, that time had gotten away from me. The drive seemed to take forever. The drive was a scenic one, with trees of green leaves and the birds jumping from limb to limb. The squirrels did their best to eat the nuts out of the trees without falling into the highway and being smashed by the tires of an oncoming car.

Arriving at the travel agency, I was met by a woman of age, wrinkles on her face told the story that she had lived a life of hardship. Her name was Wilma, and she offered me a cup of coffee that looked like it had been in the pot for awhile. Wilma was a very proficient woman, she asked many questions about the kind of trip I wanted and the places I wanted to see. She did not lose one step when I told her that I need to see these places in 10 days, that I had a progressive cancer that would take my life soon. We both then saw the necessity, and planned my adventurous trip of the lifetime I had left. I would be seeing London, Spain, Egypt, and my mothers homeland of Germany. Each country would be for two days, just a small glimpse into a few countries that was on my bucket list when I was a younger woman. At the moment a thought crossed my mind, that I will achieve this for myself, and no one else. I will cross my bridge from life to death with the knowledge that I knew I could set a goal and achieve it.

Already the night before my flight on that rainy morning I was second guessing myself. Should I go? What if something happened to me in a strange country, since there was no one else with me to tell anything about my health? My children knew my itinerary, I had discussed it thoroughly with them so they felt somewhat involved in my trip. I was taking my camera so I could share with them when I got home all that I saw. I finally fell asleep, with dreams of the coming day, and the trip of my life sitting before me.

On my way to the airport I did a double check in my mind if I had everything. My passport in my pocket, my tickets in my purse with money for the first site, Spain. I also remembered a book of translations for each of my destinations. I wanted to at least be somewhat not a total tourist. I approached the airport entrance with anxiety and apprehension. I still had thoughts of "am I doing the right thing at this point of my life?" Well, now it was too late to stop now. And as I approached the ramp to my plane, I walked tall with my head held high, a spring in my step, and a belief that I was at last on my way.

First stop was Spain. It was colorful, mysterious, and the food was delicious. There was plenty of snall shops filled with trinkets for the tourists. I ate in restaurants that made tamales and tacos and rice. I loved the food and the drinks as well. I found Margaritas to be wonderful. I spent a lot of time in the main marketplace picking up souvenirs for my family and friends. I thought at first I wanted to see the famous bull fighting, but decided against it, I think my death was enough. I did not thing that a death of a bull, a live animal, would enhance my trip.

The hotel was all so wonderful. A big bed, a fluffy comforter, and a feather pillow was on the bed. All amenities were there, even a fruit basket from Wilma, my travel agent. How nice of her to do that. The bathroom was huge, with a sunken bathtub. I literally took advantage of that, with the bath salts and also the fluffy towels that hung by the tub. Pure ecstasy. By the time I was out of the tub, I was ready to sleep.

The morning of leaving Spain, the drive to the airport was spectacular. Olive groves and vineyards dotted the sides of the road. There was a few small towns. It was a very simple life here, I life I wish I had more time to investigate.

My flight to Paris was a bumpy one. Turbulence was to the point that it shook my whole body. I was surprised that I had the energy to be able to disembark the plane. I felt like a mixed drink, shaken not stirred. But since I had just a small amount of time, I wanted to see as much as I could fit in. My cab took me past the Eiffel Tower, with all its majesty and magnificence. My mind was impressed with its architecture that was strong, beautiful and made me dizzy to look up at. Again, the hotel room was splendid. It was as nice as in Spain, but the view was worth looking at through the window. I sat in awe, it was truly beautiful. The only site I saw was the Notre Dame Cathedral, and it did not disappoint me. The stained glass windows just lit up with the incoming sunshine. It was awe inspiring to see such a unique building. The shops and the small cafes was just wonderful, the food was delightful. The food and the wine was delicious. I loved every mouthful.

The restaurant I was in, I left early. I was in my room earlier than I wanted to be because I was just totally exhausted. I thought it through, I needed to cancel the next two stops of London and Egypt, stay for those days here to recover for the last of my trip. The next morning I called Wilma and she did everything for me. She is a wonderful woman. The hotel I was in was more than considerate to my situation, and made sure I was comfortable and cozy for those four days I needed.

Last destination, Germany. My mother lived most of her life there, she met my father in a small ice cream shop during WW2. I was excited when we landed at the airport, so excited that I wanted to see where they had met, where they were married, and if I had any relation still living there. To my surprise, the home was still there wedged in between other houses. It was no longer livable, but I could feel that it was a good home, filled at one time with children learning how to knit, and crochet, and sew. I could see my mom there darning a sock, imagine that. The ice cream place was turned into a restaurant filled with tables filled with many things, meats and wursts (canned meats) and many kinds of beers. When we were younger, we used to have what my mother called "German Riders". That was a piece of boiled potato, wurst, then a slater of French onion dip on it. That is what I liked the most on hot summer days. Memories like these never die. I did get a glimpse of the church where my mother and father were married. It was small and basic and had benches instead of pews. I was in awe of its simplicity. It reminded me of a church of old times, maybe settler times.

The plane home was more than unusually noisy and crowded, and many tried to sleep on the long ride back. For some reason, I felt it was too noisy. I felt for a moment I had left something behind on my trip. I just could not put my finger on it. I figured whatever it was, someone would either return it or keep it for themselves, a piece of myself left there. It was a long while till I made it to my home.

My trip was worth every minute, every penny, and every adventure. I would be enclosed in memories for as long as I am able. This trip, it has taught me that life is short, sometimes shorter than expected, and to enjoy whatever time you do have, and do whatever makes you happy today.

Note from daughter......my mother died on the third day she was home with her family and friends beside her. Many flowers and gifts came from all the places she visited. She indeed touched many lives in her short time abroad.

January 01, 2021 00:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.