Brother and Sister

Submitted into Contest #166 in response to: Start your story with someone saying “I quit!” ... view prompt

13 comments

Fiction Funny Fantasy

“I quit!” he said.

It was so sudden and so unexpected that she didn’t know what to say. She just stared at him, mouth open so wide the wind almost blew one of her blonde pigtails in.

“What– what do you mean ‘you quit’,” she said, finally finding her voice. “You can’t quit. We’re a team. We’re Maggie and Jake. Peter and Jane. Luke and bloody Leia!”

He snorted and shook his head. “Not anymore. You can take on the Death Star. I can’t take it anymore. It’s too much. All that singing. All the walking. The climbing. The falling. The broken bones. No. Nonononono! I’ve had enough.”

He had moments like this. At first it was funny and infrequent, but now it was happening more and more. He always talked about other things, but this was the first time he’d ever said he was quitting. She grabbed his hand, trying to soothe it. To soothe him. She knew he had a temper. They always had. Being brother and sister, basically twins, she knew him better than anyone. Better than he himself sometimes.

He wasn’t going to quit. He couldn’t. She had to get him back, to calm him down. She could do it, she just had to be reasonable.

“Come on,” she said softly. “We’re here. We came all this way so why not finish it? Remember the times we did it before? How much fun we had?”

“I’m not a little kid anymore,” he said, pulling his hand free. “I’m tired of it. Every single day we do this and every single time it’s the same result. What did Einstein say? ‘Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results’. Well we’ve been doing this every day for god-knows how long and the same shit happens every single time!

“The real question is, how aren’t you sick of it?”

She shrugged. She had to admit there were times it got tiresome, but she was a simple girl with simple needs and this was how they earned their crust. How they got their water so-to-speak.

“Look, I get it. It sucks. But we have to do it, you know?”

“Why do we have to do it?” he whined. She hated when he whined. He was the older brother, the next in line to look after everyone if Dad carked it. But he could really be a petulant child sometimes.

“Because it’s just the way it is. It’s how we survive.”

“Every bloody time we do it we almost don’t survive.”

She shrugged, “It’s just the way it is.”

“Why is it?” he said. He indicated around us. It was a beautiful, sunny day. The sun warmed our skin, the grass was green and full of flowers. Birds sang in the trees and bees buzzed happily. In the distance were snow-capped mountains, and dark green forests, while near us was our tiny village where kids laughed and played. “Look around us. Look at what exists at our doorstep-”

Here we go, she thought. This again.

“-mountains and forests,” he continued. “Don’t you ever wonder what dwells within? Fairies? Monsters? Our first great love? Our genesis or our demise? There are so many possibilities out there for us. But do you ever wonder? No. You’re content living this sheltered little life. Doing the same damn thing every day. How aren’t you bored?”

She sighed, “Look. I get it. There is a lot of promise out there. But if you actually look around us, you will see what we do is important. It ensures our survival. Sure, you like the romantic notion of wandering into the unknown with your sword and shield and saving the beautiful princess from the evil wizard. Or soaring high in the sky on the backs of dragons. Sure, you think you can handle the danger and the death. But here’s a little bit of reality for you, dear brother of mine. You can’t even handle this one little job without complaining about it like a spoiled little brat! You take a little tumble and suddenly the whole world is ending.” She was angry now, her words bit at him like a snake in the grass and she knew it but she didn’t care. “It’s time you put on your big boy pants and understand this is the way of the world we live in. This is what we do. We’re not like the others. You’re not a prince. I’m not a fairy queen. We don’t blow down houses or climb beanstalks. We are simply a brother and sister trying to help our village survive.

“I-” he began but she cut him off.

“-You know what. I’ve had enough of it. Do it.”

“What?” he said, visibility confused.

“Go. Quit. Go run off and play swords with dragons. Go home, go to your room and get your tiny wooden sword and your shield and go.” She held her arms out to the bright, sunny world before them. “There you are,” she said. “The world awaits its newest hero with open arms!”

Her brother's mouth gaped like a fish out of water before his eyes hardened and she knew the insults were coming. He was a wimp but he loved to double down and he loved to insult people because he was never ever wrong.

“You’re an ass, you know that?”

“Ahuh.”

“A real cow.”

“Moo.”

“I should leave.”

“Yep. You should.”

“I can do it.”

She gave an appropriately sarcastic sound of agreement.

“Just you watch.”

“I will.”

“I’ll come back a hero.”

“I’ll wait here every night hoping to see my triumphant brother return as the new king of whatever fairy tale he dreamed up with the sexy, virgin, and always faithful, queen by his side.”

They continued trading barbs until the sun was high in the sky and sweat was beading on their forehead. It was always like this and she always just waited until he lost steam.

“I… I– I– shut up, ok?”

She sighed, he’d finally finished his tantrum. Picking up the bucket she held it out to him.

“Ready to go?”

“I’m not doing it. I’m serious. I’ve had enough.”

“This is our story.”

“I know, but I’m over it. I’m over the kids singing it. I’m over the falls. I’m over the injuries.”

She wanted to say something but this felt different. Usually his anger dissipated by now and he dutifully did what was sung. But now, there was something else in his voice. Was it sorrow? Was it tiredness?

He glanced at the mountains and the forests.

Maybe this time he would actually do it. It was going to happen one day. Deep down she knew it would and that thought scared her more than anything. 

Maybe today was the day.

Despite how much of a baby he was, she needed him. There was no other way this could work and she sure as hell wasn’t taking the lead. She wasn’t breaking her crown. It looked like it hurt!

All around them she heard singing and knew it was almost their time to start.

“Come on,” she tried, holding out the bucket. “Let’s go. We can talk later.”

Jack took the bucket and tossed it away, “Forget it, Jill. There is no way I’m going back up that hill to fetch a pail of fucking water.”


October 05, 2022 04:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Mike Panasitti
20:54 Oct 12, 2022

Hurray to all the boys who finally say "NO!" to breaking their crowns just to fetch worthless pails of water.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Winchester
18:11 Oct 11, 2022

Hahahaha, this is great! I loved the end!

Reply

Danny G
20:28 Oct 11, 2022

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Kate Winchester
21:28 Oct 11, 2022

You’re welcome ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Annalisa D.
14:12 Oct 05, 2022

This was really good! I enjoyed it and liked the end it built up to. It was a fun story and interesting to think about.

Reply

Danny G
20:48 Oct 05, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Webb
13:06 Oct 05, 2022

Love it 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Reply

Danny G
21:56 Oct 12, 2022

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna Mahoney
21:46 Oct 12, 2022

Love your story, Danny. The buildup and ending are very well done and the dialogue sharp and true. Hope you don’t mind a little critique from another hopeful writer. Suggest further editing to cut empty and repeated words. For example, the second paragraph could read this way: It was so sudden and unexpected she didn’t know what to say. She stared at him, mouth open wide and the wind blew one of her blonde pigtails in. There is a switched POV in one paragraph mid-way through which jars. It’s where he’s describing the environment. Also,...

Reply

Danny G
21:57 Oct 12, 2022

Hi Anna, Thanks for reading and the feedback. I appreciate it and glad you enjoyed the story.

Reply

Anna Mahoney
22:57 Oct 12, 2022

You’re welcome💐

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alice Richardson
23:59 Oct 08, 2022

Clever little story Danny. Well done.

Reply

Danny G
00:09 Oct 09, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.