1 comment

Fiction Inspirational Asian American

The rain pours down tender on the roof, the darkness embraced filling the wide inner most four corners of the room, the silence that kills the soul and the spirit of the girl lying on the dirty and messy bed with uncomfortable position, eyes were wide open looking up the ceiling, while arms spread occupying the whole space the bed. Looking to nowhere and wondering why she felt differently. At the door, there was a man standing stiff and tall. His face mocked the dark into the stunning and the brightest light behind him, walking towards her. He tried to stab her by the sharp edge of the knife. While the girl was lying on the cold and lonesome bed where she cannot move, cannot speak, and only she cab do was closing her eyes… and hear screaming. 

 In the small village of Hum, there livrd the family of Berlin. The family are known as a devoted Christian and known in the place. The family has five children and a mother, since the head of the family run of and leave them miserably, then he was not recognized as part of the family. Georgia, she is the mother of five children. She is determined and empowered woman in the place as she raise her children alone without the support of her husband. She is striving and working hard looking for a job that will make an amount of money to feed and support her children. As the years passed, her children got bigger and start making their own dreams for their selves. 

There was an old woman who continually scolded her family member for not doing things quicker, her name was Georgia, a mother and the breadwinner of the family since her husband Fredrick left and lived together with his mistress. Georgia strives harder to earn money to give and feed for her family. She oath a good life of her husband until they split up and got divorced, Fredrick destroy everything they've promised awe for the family. Without, 9lx

Georgia raised 5 children Mary, Mercy, Arnold, Christophe, and the youngest child Beth. Mary the eldest daughter is a well groomed, beautiful, and consistent daughter. The second daughter, Mercy, is an introvert and literally never wants to talk to other people, especially if she doesn't want to. Third child is Arnold, he is a brave, strong, self-determined brother to his siblings, but he is frightened when his mother got angry. Christophe is a family oriented son of Georgia. He wants to be a better sibling that never wants to make any mess around the family. The last and the youngest daughter is Beth, her name is quite interesting that her mother gave her the name after Georgia was left by her husband, it means beneath. At times Fredrick left Georgia, she was in grief and weeping day and night, her mother felt beneath the ground with darkness and hopeless days. Beth is the most unfortunate daughter of Georgia for she was not able to experience and feel the presence of her father and the life of wealth and of comfort. She was the only clumsy and careless child of Georgia; she is too shy, and ashamed of her body appearance. Growing with her sisters and brothers are no longer comfortable, she felt bad by the reason her mother was gave her birth. Everyone in the family thinks that she is the black sheep that cause bad spirit roaming in the family, but her mother thought nothing bad for her. Georgia is loving, caring, and erotic mother of her children. She only thinks about the good future and betterment of her children. Everyone got prepared to be ready to attend the Sabbath, but Beth. The whole family gather at the living area where her family was waiting for her. Arnold already set the cab for everyone. Mary wears gold and shiny dress for the Sabbath, Mercy wears the same color as Mary but it is not shiny, yet she wears it simpler than Mary, Arnold, and Christophe wears appealing and more decent cloth for the Sabbath, however, Beth wears a union dress that looks dumped and old purple dress. Everyone looked at her and felt embarrassed for her dress; she looked messy and indecent. The dress Beth wears is the unused and leftover dress of Mary.

 "Look at you! You look like a street girl that no one cares" Mary asked Beth with sarcasm. 

 "I'm sorry I haven't ironed it because..." Beth stopped responding when she looked at her mother. 

Her mother widened her eyes and showed disagreement. Beth has nothing to do, but to keep silent and shut her mouth until the Sabbath finally ends on that day. On the way the family laugh altogether by the joke and riddle Arnold expressed. 

"HAHAHA" Mary laughed covering her mouth with a clean handkerchief then her eyes turned to Beth.

"Beth? How about Ironing your dress it looks like you're a servant" then she laughed out loud and her brother Arnold seconded her mean joke.

 "Well! Yes she really looks like a long lost girl roaming on the street hasn’t you showered yet? Because it smells" Arnold drastically laughs at Beth.

While Beth silently sits at the back of the cab, she respects her sister and brother, she patiently stoops and looks directly at her dirty old shoes with a sad smile on her face. "Well, someday I would like having nothing, I just want to be nothing like you all supposedly trying to tell me." Beth talks in the middle of the road while staring at the blue skies with the flock of birds freely flying continuously spreading its wings on the air. Everyone in the cab looks at her and stops laughing. Georgia answered "what happened to you Beth? Are you dreaming?" then everyone laughs. Mercy looks at her with a smirk and asks her "are you dreaming? Your dream is nothing to us, don't you dream and aim more?"  

"She has nothing to dream for, we all knew that she cannot be like us.” Mary reminds everyone how Beth means less for them.

Christophe triggered facing Mary and asked “How about you? Don’t you try to earn money instead of making yourself pretty and good looking?”

Christophe warned everyone “Beth is too young for all of her dreams, she cannot be like what you uttered and concluded if you cannot try to show to her how to do about it. Watch your words.”

     Finally, they arrived at home and got out from the cab and lent the fare. Mary got her eyes on Beth, then pulls Mercy’s arms heading inside the house. Christophe walks slowly and stands near Beth and holds her hands and says.

“Beth, I know Mary cannot be good to you and to everyone, since we are going to Spain I would like to ask you a favor, please always look after our mother. Arnold and I will be gone farther, yet we’ll support you and shoulder our finances to pay for our debts. We’ll be right back after a year then will reunite again.” He gently speaks and tells Beth his favor with pleasing and sincere eyes, while holding the little innocent palms of Beth.

“Yup! Little clumsy we’ll be gone all you have to do is to keep yourself neat, safe, and don’t forget the chores. Mercy cannot do what you do because she just joined classes, while Mary do not mind her. Just don’t ever listen to her unwanted rants” Arnold advising with a humors laugh at last “HAHAHAHAHA”

Arnold and Christophe get their things and place it on the car, they both waving offers their cap to infer they will be going.

Mary, Mercy, Beth, and their mother Georgia waved back.

Georgia turns back the assigns everything to her daughter from the ranch of the animal, washing, clothes, and looking for a fire wood will be assigned to Beth while Mary and Mercy have nothing to do since they already have their part of the house.

One day, Beth woke up late and the animals animals were not being took care of since she was the one who assigned for those. Her mother prepared meals for the day before going to work in town looking for money. She gone to the kitchen and surprised by the messy and untidy kitchen. She thought about doing that later and wants some meals to eat, yet nothing have left. Mary and Mercy eat all of her meals that should be her breakfast, lunch and snacks for the day. Both siblings left her nothing but the chores on the house. She cannot imagine how both of them do the same thing to her. Beth had nothing to eat, yet manages to clean the entire house, do the laundry, feeds the animals, and cook for her sisters. She respects and decides to understand her sisters to the limit that she already do the household chores. The sun’s rays kiss the mountains and the sky starts to embrace the darkness on the other side of the highest. At night Georgia arrived home, she was happy to see that the house shines brightly of its cleanest parts. Georgia feels tired and commands Beth to do everything she wants to because she is tired of working to earn money. However, her two sisters are up staring, they do hair curling, upon Georgia entering the room inviting them to eat while Beth Busy cooks and does the dinner.

 Day by day she feels weak, one cloudy afternoon of 5:39 o’clock in the afternoon she thinks everything miserable happened to her since she was the only girl who can do the chores, she never felt the love for her family even her mother that feels so cold. She thinks about dreaming about being a cook and a musician in her town. She smirks while doing the dishes and soaks her hands on the sink while looking up into the skies that passed by the clean glass of the window she was cleaning a while ago. Suddenly her eyes wide open and wash her hands and immediately run outside while observing how heavy the rain will be poured. Mary and Mercy in the room continuously doing makeup on their pretty face for Mary awaits her courtier as she looks into the window and sees Beth running outside without shoes.

“Oh!” she called the attention of Mercy “Where do you think she’ll go?” she asks Mercy.

“Well, I think she’s going to get the animals, because there is a big and massive storm approaching in our town.” She answered Mary while reading an article in the newspaper.

“oh, how about my dress? Did she iron those?” she asks angrily and screams.

“She already knew that it is the most important day of my life” she can’t even wait for her and iron the dress. Unfortunately she burned her dress. She cried and lost her temper and slammed the door. Mercy got shocked, but she can do nothing about it. She just stays in her room and continues doing her stuff.

     Beth felt problematic after she counted the animals on the ranch there was one cow missing, so she ran to look for it. She is now heading into the dark forest that her mother kept telling her not to gone there, but she had nothing to do but to look for the missing cow. If not she’ll be sorry for the anger, wrath, and beaten she will get from her mother. She’s gone too far but found nothing, she only saw the darkness of the forest but suddenly she heard a noise and think it could be the cow she was looking for, but she was wrong. It is a wild rat. She holds her breath and released it again because she felt frightened and scared. She stepped a slime decayed wood and fell down on the river bank and hit her head into the big stone that blocked her from continuously rolling down. She tried to open her yes and shout for help. Her strengths cannot do about it and slowly closing her eyes. 

     A girl happily running on the green grass with her hair smoothly touches the wind in a long beautiful white dress. Her beautiful and amusing smiles attracts the heart of faithful man, a giggle and a laugh that seems so familiar, the arms that tied her so tight, the beautiful and joyous eyes of a girl turns into hopeless and worry eyes that anger see from her inner soul.

     Beth tried to grasp her breathe but she cannot, she tried to move her arms and legs but it couldn’t she tried to open her eyes, but only she see in darkness in seemingly unfaithful and hopeless dark room. She tried to shout but she cannot. She cannot feel cold and warm, but her heart the beats so fast. A minute ago she heard footsteps on the wooden floor heading towards her. She turns he eyes on the door until the door slowly opens. She see the tall and dark man approaching towards her. Only see thinks about her dreams came true. The man stops and stand still beside the dirty and messy bed.

“How’s your feeling?” the man with a deep and cold voice asked her.

     Beth closes her eyes and prays, after asking Beth’s situation a moment later she can finally move her hands and legs and tries to escape from the house. She finally saw her cow die on the ground with its fresh blood continuously spreading towards the river, she saw a dead man, and a child with a sliced tummy. She turns her head at the back. 

“oh! Is your head still hurts?” the man asks.

She feels nothing but frightening and worrying about what she do. She then say

“I felt nothing” she answered the man with a cold voice. She steps slowly away from the man, but the man walks towards her so she run until she sees a brightness and freedom from the man, yet when she reaches the light she sees the man look at her. The man stare her with his dreadful smile, then goes back to the forest. Beth saw her mother who keeps on calling her name, she hugged her mother, but she cannot hug her. She can see her mother, but only her mother cannot see her. She cried out loud and saw her sisters happily on the window letting their mother to look after her since she wasn't home last night. Beth headed towards the forest and looks for the man and asks him.

“Why?!” she asks the man with anger and worrisome teary eyes.

“What?! You are here in the other dimension. If you want to be alive just keep your mouth shut. I am not the only one here looking for a dead body. You supposedly dead, but I am mistaken my race should be the one living here not unless I’ll kill you because in the first place you should not be here You should be in the living dimension living person must not be here, if they knew you were here they’ll kill you, so it’ll be better killing you right then.” The man tenderly tells her the truth. 

“No! I am not dead, why am I here? I may not be here it is not because of you! .” Beth thinks nothing but an answer.

     Beth thinks about the man told here, while the man walking towards the sharpest axe. She runs the fastest she can but the man has extraordinary powers and he appears in front of Beth and stub her in her heart. Beth feels nothing. She pushed the man away from her, the man stood up and held the arm of Beth while Beth tried to escape from the man. Beth reached the river and cross it. Beth feels her breast of pain and getting unconscious with her body in the river and slowly drowning In the raging flow of the water. The man cannot go to the water, so he let Beth drown and decided to stop chasing her. The unconscious Beth came out from the forest and the authorities looking for Beth finally saw her and sent her to hospital upon the stub in her heart and wounded head. Her mother feels sorry and her sisters realize their mistake upon letting Beth do everything and not following her to the forest they decide to change their lives.

     Beth is still confined in the Hospital and her mother, sisters, and brothers feel sorry and promise to be a good siblings and mother to her. Beth smiles at them and tells them her dreams to be a cook and a great musician in their town then her brothers, sisters, and mother decided to send her to school. Beth feels bliss and glad to be home and her brothers return to Spain and promised to send her to school. They are all happy that Beth is back. Mary and Mercy became a good, hardworking, and obeying daughters in the family. Years later Beth became a cook and the musician not just in their town, but in Spain living together with her brothers.

     Beth found herself successful as well as Mary who was married to the most handsome and wealthy man in the village. Mercy felt gracefully with her baby and her family. Her mother Georgia felt blessed and happy that her daughters and sons were already successful in life while living harmoniously with Beth and they all lived happily in their life with the reconciliation and regrets that makes them bind together in peace. The end.

May 22, 2021 01:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Graham Kinross
08:07 Dec 13, 2021

That was a beautiful story, thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.