47 comments

Funny Friendship Contemporary


It’s taken me fifty years to appreciate being alone, but it doesn’t do to mention it in public. I was always a social drinker and never enjoyed imbibing by myself. The doctor suggested, Naltrexone, but said, ‘The best remedy is to stop drinking. Period’. ‘That’s not easy, Doc’. ‘Enjoy some quality time,’ he said. ‘Go on holiday or get a hobby.’ 

   Alas, my hobby was the problem. They prescribed Naltrexone at the clinic, but after I got the all-clear, I ditched the last tablets. The side effects were fairly unpredictable and there’s only so much constipation and stomach churning one can tolerate. I’m strong-willed and can do this, I said and booked a flight to Spain. A quiet time, drinking fruit juice for a week on the Costa Brava should do the trick. I bought some factor 50, loaded up my Kindle and set my sights on the end of the month. However, the road to relapse is paved with good intentions.

   Two weeks after I returned from the clinic, I got a couple of voicemails from Ben Pickles, my old pal and racing correspondent from The Sporting Times. The first message welcomed me home, and the second sounded more urgent.

   ‘Meet me later at Ye Olde Cock Tavern for a natter and a hot meal,’ he said. ‘A swift half will do you good and their steak & onion pie should sort you out.’

   Ben was in the upstairs bar when I arrived at six thirty and had a couple of large gins waiting in abeyance. ‘Welcome back to reality, matey!’

   ‘You know I’m on the wagon?’ I said, biting my lip. 

   ‘Rubbish!’ he said, sliding the effervescent liquor across the bar.

   ‘It’s been six weeks now and---’

   ‘Just the one won’t do any harm.’

   ‘Cheers, Ben,’ I said, as we clinked glasses. 

   ‘Now then,’ he said, leaning on the bar. ‘Let’s get you fixed up with a new lady.’ My jaw almost smashed a hole through the floorboards. ‘I’m sure there must be some flightless bird who’ll be an easy catch.’ 

   The cheek of it. I don't like things to be that easy. I've worked hard for my four wives, unlike certain colleagues I won’t name. They’d marry anything in a skirt, as long as it could walk and breathe. Snorting, I raised an eyebrow.

   ‘What?’ He shrugged and hailed the barmen. ‘Same again, old chap!’

   ‘That’s the last thing I need,’ I said, steadying my hand

   ‘Listen,’ he said, thumping my shoulder. ‘We’re all worried about you.’

   I rolled my eyeballs and sighed, resting my glass on a beer mat. 

   ‘You need a decent woman to keep an eye on you.’

   ‘I can’t even think about that right now.’

   As it happens, I met a possible fifth Mrs H yesterday, but it turns out that she's got the most extraordinary ideas about what's called 'settling down'. Settling down is a very curious phrase. It’s used only by women. I have seen feathered birds settling down, and I have seen dust settling down and I have even seen bookmakers settling up, but just quite what women mean by settling down is another matter. I suspect it means that life is no laughing matter. But what puzzles me is what on earth did my four wives think they were getting when they married me? I mean, you can see a juggernaut as it rushes head on, can’t you?

   My fourth wife, who was and is quite lovely, said to me, when she called it a day, 'I thought you'd change and settle down.' I’d apparently given her that idea whilst we were on our honeymoon. I remember we were relaxing on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean after enjoying a leisurely lunch. I was dosing off on a sun-lounger after one too many Southsides when she clutched my hand and said, ‘I wish we could stay here forever, darling.’ ‘Sure thing, love,’ I said. ‘No, I’m serious,’ she said, tightening her grip. That was when the alarm bells sounded with ear-splintering clarity and my eyes pinged open. I blinked and turned to reassure her. ‘Of course, we can stay here forever, love.’ She grimaced and said, ‘And once more with feeling?’ I crossed my fingers out of sight and presented my sincerest fixed grin. It satisfied her anxiety, and she never mentioned the notion again. However, if I gave her the impression that I had any intention of changing, it wasn’t deliberate. I wasn’t in the mood for a public spat and needed a cat nap. I mean, change? Settle down? Really?

   What they don't understand is that it takes money to change and settle down. Lawnmowers aren't cheap, don’t you know? Nice little detached properties in the suburbs don’t grow on trees. Anyway, one of us had to be sober, and it wasn’t going to be me. It was part of my job description to entertain clients. Alcohol is Fleet Street’s lubricant and without it, the stories stop. Besides, if settling down means swapping oysters and fizz on a race day for shepherd’s pie and pale ale, I’d rather not bother. It’s hardly the high-life. Perish the thought.

    Of course, it would be churlish to accuse all women of having settling-down syndrome. I’ve known lady writers and fellow hackettes who could hold their own in a bar, let alone put up a good fight afterwards. I recall stalwarts from the Wapping days who’d learned hard drinking from careworn professionals in Fleet Street. They lived on expenses and drank vodka every night until their livers screamed out, Mercy!

   Now, there are certain conditions under which I could change and settle down. The night I collapsed, before two paramedics resuscitated and escorted me to the clinic, a woman approached me in The French House and said, ‘When I first saw you, I thought to myself, what's that handsome man doing surrounded by rogues?’ She'd answered her own question, if you see what I mean. Surrounded by rogues, say no more. Apart from her dubious eyesight, I was flattered. She was an angel with eyes like simmering pools of molten lava and lips with a life of their own. I caught a waft of her delicate scent when she leaned over to drop her card in my top pocket and followed her like a lamb when her taxi arrived at the door.

   For her, I'd try to change and settle down, however I'm not sure whether it's the change or the settling down, that's the hardest part. I’ve got used to my own company and it has its advantages. I can always have another double and not be scowled at or asked, ‘Don’t you think you’ve had enough?’ What a stupid question. Make mine a double and easy with that tonic. But, bless my soul, don't the ladies mean well when they ask you to change and settle down? Never trust people who mean well, I say. Stalin probably meant well when he systematically starved 20 million peasants and when Cromwell banned Christmas, he certainly hoped we'd all change and settle down.

   Alone has almost become a dirty word. With unadulterated sentiment my heart used to ache when I spotted a single man or woman eating in a restaurant. Others find the sight disturbing, because they presume that he or she is on the verge of suicide, living in filth and surrounded by unwashed dishes and as friendless as a Jehovah’s Witness.

   Anyway, Ben looked aghast when I announced my trip to Spain.

   ‘But,’ he said, shaking his jowls. ‘You’re not going alone?'

   No, I've had my share of holidays for two, and rubbing factor 50 into someone's back while they scroll through miles of celebrity gossip. It isn't my idea of a healing fortnight and having a row with someone on holiday is a pain. You can’t escape anywhere private to lick your wounds, and then the next meal throws you back together with fake smiles and cheery chit-chat. 

   Then, just as things settle down, she spots that couple in the room next door and they ask if they can join you. In no time at all, you're together having a drink as though it's Christmas. They tell you they come from some dreadful suburb and recount their tales from abroad, producing reams of blurred photographs of their ‘kids’. Of course, last year they went to Greece, but they won’t go back there ever again, and they've booked a cruise for next year in seven-star-luxury that's only £60 a day and ‘all in’. Then you pair off. He tells you he's in computers and when you tell him you're a writer, he says he can't say he's ever heard of you. I sigh and he says, ‘I’ll bet you meet lots of famous people’.

   Back at the hotel, between bouts of diarrhoea, Madam’s not talking again. Her shoulders are peeling and suddenly it's don't touch me time. A cockroach crawls out of the bathroom and it occurs to you that by London time, Ben will be lining them up on the bar and everyone will be saying, ‘Jammy Sod. I bet he’s having a whale of a time.’ Instead, what I hear is, ‘Promise me, you won’t be rude to those people again, darling.’ 

Not unless I can't help it, I say. But who knows? 

This wouldn’t happen if I was alone. 

Bring on my week in Spain. 

I can’t wait for it.


The End



June 08, 2024 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

47 comments

Mary Bendickson
18:35 Jun 09, 2024

Was that 50 years of total lifetime or 50 years after the wife number four? He deserves some alone time. Thanks for liking my 'Secrets That We Keep'.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:22 Jun 09, 2024

Hey Mary, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your thoughts. To answer your question; I meant 50 years of life in total. But, yeah, I guess he needs a bit of time to recover and mend his life. However, he’s probably too long in the tooth to alter his behaviour; bad habits tend to hang around like limpets on the bottom of a boat…. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
01:22 Jun 09, 2024

I enjoyed this story warning about expecting someone to change and choices of freedom versus settling down. Sometimes I watch that TV show "Married at First Sight" and often the newlyweds are not ready to give up their freedom or settle down, or they expect the other person to change for them while they stay the same. They make it the other person's fault when they were not prepared for marriage either. Very good concept to explore and this story does a good job. Well done!

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:45 Jun 09, 2024

Hey Kristi, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated and I agree with your analysis. Nowadays, it seems that commitment and longevity are somewhat old fashioned concepts, and in a world that encourages instant gratification, there’s not much room for patience or compromise, which is bad news for long term relationships. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Red Herring
15:50 Jun 20, 2024

Aha the voice was so clear, as though he was smoking a cig and rambling his frustrations to some trapped passerby. Like Scott Laverne's Broke song. Settling down syndrome needs to be in the DSM pronto, and "Her shoulders are peeling and suddenly it's don't touch me time" was too real. Thanks for the laughs!!

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:18 Jun 21, 2024

Hey Red, I’m glad you enjoyed my story and pleased you connected with the narrator’s voice and sense of humour. Your description of his conversational delivery was exactly what I was aiming for. I think that up-close and personal style suits confessional material so I’m relieved it kinda worked. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
22:30 Jun 13, 2024

FYI. There is/will not be rest for the good either. 29:30 hr left (your friendly neighborhood deadline) 🧐

Reply

Howard Halsall
04:19 Jun 14, 2024

Hey Trudy, Thanks for the heads up. I’m running late again, but hopefully I’ll make it. It’s a bit touch and go this week as Regency dramas aren’t my forte; I find the wigs ill-fitting and the corsets too restricting :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
07:24 Jun 14, 2024

I hear you. But rest assured, gossip, intrigue, backstabbing and other baser human behaviors happen in current times and will happen in the future. Though I can't predict the fashion trends for the future, and if we all keep increasing, corsets may make a comeback. But think, what scandals you can evoke by tossing convention, wigs and corsets out the window - do make sure nobody is passing underneath - think of how you, just you by yourself, can create horror and apoplexy in whatever society you imagine yourself. I have all faith in you. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
02:12 Jun 15, 2024

1 hr, 53 m. But I can't blame you for hesitating. I took the week off from judging, just could't face reading anymore rumors and gossip columns. LOL

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:53 Jun 15, 2024

Just made it! Late again :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
08:57 Jun 13, 2024

This guy sounds familiar. I think a lot of celebrity men end up like this because they get so much interest and never have the willpower to stop. It’s a hell of a life but I’m not sure I could handle that. I met a guy who’d lived like this. He had kids scattered from Aberdeen to Bangkok. As others have said it can seem like men and women come at their relationship goals from opposite sides which is bound to cause friction. I think society and way were raised has a lot to do with that telling women to seek stability and men to seek adventure....

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:00 Jun 14, 2024

Hey Graham, Thank you for taking the time to read my latest story and share your thoughts. I reckon you’re spot on about the influence of role models and society, although a combination of nature and nurture plays its part. However, in my experience, some individuals are predisposed to seek life in the fast lane regardless of the consequences, hence the juggernaut reference…. It’s Kamikaze thing. HH

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:58 Jun 15, 2024

I know a few people who live like that, and the stories of others. Yes it’s hard to know where the balance between nature and nurture lies.

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:55 Jun 15, 2024

Indeed it is, however we are defined by our actions rather than words so... that's where free will operates, I guess :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
21:31 Jun 12, 2024

Great title, good flow, like all the tongue-in-cheek. "I worked hard for my four wives" - classic!

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:16 Jun 12, 2024

Hey Carol, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m glad you appreciated the tongue-in-cheek humour. It’s tricky to get the pitch correct when the protagonist has untold unappealing qualities, but, it’s intriguing how such a flawed character can be so compelling. One wants to know what scrapes they’ll get into and how they’ll survive the next round of self-inflicted chaos. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
22:20 Jun 11, 2024

Pretty sure I’ve met this man before 😂 Loved the story, character, and too many lovely phrases to name. “Settling Down syndrome” was a favorite though! Great job 😄

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:23 Jun 12, 2024

Hey Nina, It sounds like you fell in with bad company at some point and (hopefully) had a narrow escape :) Thank you for reading my story and taking the time to share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nancy Wright
22:10 Jun 10, 2024

Great job of creating a clear sense of who your main character is and lovely, snappy dialogue. A really fun read!

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:50 Jun 10, 2024

Hey Nancy, I’m glad you enjoyed my latest story and I’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated, and hopefully you’ll return to check out some more in the future. Take care HH .)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:47 Jun 10, 2024

Male introverts need their space. Loved that comment about having an argument on the plane and you can't escape. Too true. Many women want to settle down. Exploring what that actually means from a man's POV. So funny. Like my comment about how men say the opposite (children and marriage) to get what they want - the three letter word starting with 's'. Not a winner again? Drat! I did enjoy the read. Thanks. And written to two prompts. Clever!

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:46 Jun 10, 2024

Hey Kaitlyn, I’m pleased you liked my latest story and enjoyed the humour. I’m guessing there’ll be something in there that most readers will identify with and/or recognise if they’ve ever been unhappily married or acrimoniously divorced…. We all need a bit of time out because there’s nothing worse than a rebound relationship; that never works well for anybody. And, “yes”, aren’t we all burdened by irony? Perpetually, saying the opposite of what we mean can be so tiresome; thank goodness for the anonymity of last minute city breaks, wanderin...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Safiya Kezzim
14:18 Jun 10, 2024

This was such a great character study. The description and dialogue really brought it all together!

Reply

Howard Halsall
14:53 Jun 10, 2024

Hey Safiya, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your positive response; it’s much appreciated. I’m pleased you liked it and hope you’ll return to enjoy more in the future. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurie Spellman
11:22 Jun 10, 2024

Old habits are hard to break. What a wonderful well-developed story!

Reply

Howard Halsall
14:57 Jun 10, 2024

Hey Laurie, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I’m pleased you liked it and hope you’ll return to enjoy my future submissions…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
13:25 Jun 09, 2024

Sounds like he’s best off being alone right now. Great character and dialogue.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:25 Jun 09, 2024

Hey Karen, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your positive feedback. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and hope it gives you food for thought…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
17:13 Jun 08, 2024

Ah, the irony of expecting others to change but not you. Hahahaha ! Lovely work !

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:51 Jun 09, 2024

Hey Alexis, Thank you for reading my latest story and taking the time to share your positive feedback. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and I hope you’ll keep on returning to check my tales. HH :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:32 Jun 10, 2024

Always will, Howard ! I've always enjoyed your stories !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
14:47 Jun 08, 2024

People don't change but expect others to do so. A recipe for disaster. Trip for one, every time.

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:00 Jun 10, 2024

Hey Trudy, Thank you for reading my ‘recipe for disaster’, I hope it was to your taste…. But, seriously, you’re right about the trip for one; patience and compromise don’t figure to prominently in that approach to marriage. Maybe Spain’s the best place for him, somewhere remote and out of harm’s way…. HH :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:46 Jun 10, 2024

On top of some mountain So he can continue feeling just a bit more equal that the next one. 🤔🤣 Liked you rant, I know I'vw thought some of it. Oh, okay most of it.🤭

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:55 Jun 10, 2024

I imagine that the world’s mountain tops are littered with such characters, all wanting to be alone and escaping their responsibilities :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
01:22 Jun 10, 2024

LOL I know. Am still looking for an empty one :-)

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:34 Jun 10, 2024

Surely not?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
13:30 Jun 08, 2024

Lawn mowers are certainly expensive but not quite as pricey as trips to Spain! Loved the humor throughout. Thanks Howard.

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:07 Jun 10, 2024

Hey Annemarie, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive comments. Humour is a tricky element to get right, so I’m relieved you loved it and pleased it put a big smile on your face :) HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
09:43 Jun 08, 2024

I didn't marry four times but I can see my younger self in his shoes.

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:15 Jun 10, 2024

Hey Darvico, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your experience. It sounds like you were a bit of a hell raiser, so I’ll bet you’ve got some great tales to tell…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.