0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Inspirational

“Who’s arrow is this?” Calder asked angrily.

For the first time, that night, real fear struck their eyes next to the reflected full moon.

“I really don’t know?” Eirik admitted. “Ssorry buddy, it’s so dark—except for the moon and all.” 

Calder laughed as he pulled the arrow from his thigh. “Just don’t let it happen again.”

“I will get Gram,” Geir said as he carefully started to walk toward the large rock.

“Not so fast,” Sigurd warned. “First let us make sure there aren’t any more surprises behind it or….”

“…What?”

“It seems too eas—”

“What?”

“I mean we should be careful,” Sigurd said as he eyed the rock suspiciously.

“Are you having those feelings again?” Erik asked teasingly

Sigurd stood in awe; he was seeing the very spot of his Father’s demise. Where, because his sword was cursed, it ended up getting broken. Then he was carried away by Fafnir to his liar in That volcanic island. The very same Dragon he stood listening to as he snored on in the early morning hours. They were trying to be as quiet as possible. 

He remembered a conversation long ago with his Dad just before he had come to this deadly island before him. After fishing as a child with local kids at the creek that summer, he came home crying:

“Sigurd, look at me in the face.” His father had told him. “Why did your friends make fun of you?”

He hated whenever his Dad told him that. He knew he was unable to lie to him, but at the time, he did not want him to know. He now realized what a valuable virtue his Father had instilled in him at an early age. He always found it difficult to lie and saw how it had benefited him throughout his life.

“After I caught that trout, I decided to throw it back.” Sigurd had told his Father.

“Did they tease you then?”

“Yes, I told them the fish told me to do it.”

“If you did not feel right about it then that is ok, just don’t tell people such stories.” His father had said.

“I could hear him in my head. You just don’t believe me…you guys don’t believe me…” 

“You guys can make fun of me all you want, but since I had that dream, I see things before they happen.”

“Did your spirit guide tell you?” Geir giggled.

“We should not be so skeptical,” Calder said in Sigurd’s defense. Sometimes I—“

“Now you?” Eirik replied. We’ll never get off this island sane. If it makes you happy, I’ll send something over,” as he drew an arrow and hit the large rock next to where the broken sword lie waiting. 

Suddenly it became larger and formed into a giant Grizzly Bear. One with an arrow in his thigh, and very angry. He stood up; he must have stood twenty feet! Then went back down on all fours and started charging.

Quickly, Sigurd made it like he was Calder and began charging him. Getting closer, the bear stood back up; as Sigurd spring-boarded off a smaller rock, popping him in the air. With his sword overhead, he came down on top of the bear's head with all the strength and momentum he could divine. Cutting the beast in two, as it reverted back to two rocks half the size of the original.

“I knew that would happen,” Sigurd said landing in between.

“That beast is still asleep?” Calder said motioning for quiet. 

Sigurd went to where Gram was and saw it coiled by a small black snake. He brushed it aside and picked up both pieces of the legend. As he did this he felt an energy coming from it he did not understand. He joined the group as they headed toward the boat. 

“Mission accomplished,” Geir said relieved as they near the boat.

“We should not let our guard down until we get off the island,” Sigurd warned again. “That snake is still in the waters of the inlet. He could be waiting for us.”

“He’s just a little one,” Geir said nervously

“He was moments ago just like moments ago those rocks were one bear,” Sigurd replied.

‘He was right last time guys, we should trust him.” Calder said defending him again, “If so he'd be waiting for us. I’ll bet we could lure him into the shallow part where we could use that dead tree to trap him.

“You think you can move that stump?” Eirik asked.

“I think if one of us can lure him close while me and two others tip it over,” Calder replied being larger than the other three.

“I’m with you,” Geir admitted. “But I don’t want to be the bait to some large snake.”

“I will,” Sigurd replied as he cautiously strolled towards the shore. The moonlight danced on the ripples of the water as he looked. 

“There he is,” Sigurd said. “Where’d he go? His eyes are glowing, but he keeps shutting them. He is much bigger now, get ready guys, I am going in the water right next to you; watch for him.” 

As soon as he did this the snake’s eyes open as he wrapped his body around his foot tripping him up in the water. He quickly crab-walked to the shore.“Now Guys.”

As they struggled to topple the standing stump, Sigurd quickly stood up to help. “There he is!” Calder said rushed.

“His eyes are coming right for me!” Geir said in a high-pitched voice.

“One…” The eyes got closer. “Two…” Calder lead the inhale. “Three…” The dead tree snapped and fell just right before the slithering thing got there. He immediately started to thrash violently and he knew he lost. 

"Let's get out of here,” Sigurd said standing with dripping clothes.

“Not till--“ Geir quickly grabbed his bow and an arrow, then put one right between his evil glowing eyes.

“I’m with you let’s go.” Replied Eirik.

Fafnir and the scary island was now behind them and the wind was at their back. They should easily be back at the castle by nightfall. Once there, Regin could reforge the mighty Gram before his mother Hiordis would remove the curse. Then Sigurd would put it on display at this year's Festival. One held by the local village to honour his fallen father. It also gave peace of mind to the locals by using rituals adopted from the past in order to ward off Evil—long before Fafnir started feeding on them. 

Sigurd thought to himself as he held the injured sword listening to the Dragon’s fading snore: “Fafnir might be better off Not sleeping in, next time.”

  As he watched the full moon begin to set, he noticed the clouds around it resembling his beloved Guide’s hair. He recalled all the good luck and great insight he had all morning and now he knew who helped. 

Thank you.” He whispered into the wind.

  The wind whispered back. “You are welcome.”

June 21, 2021 05:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.