Temporal Tempest

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: Write a story set against the backdrop of a storm.... view prompt

39 comments

Drama Fiction


Nothing happens in town before 7:53am.


Until then the good citizens wait, sip their second or third cup of coffee, tighten shoelaces one more time, slick down Skip’s cowlick yet again, frown at Bobby as he slurps the sugared milk from the bottom of his cereal bowl.


At 7:53 Ciril Presicz, CPA and Town Treasurer, who is so accurate one could, and many do, set their watch by him, passes by the First Marrien Bank. Up until this moment, the clock, perched on the bank’s facade, has confidently announced that the current temperature is 73 degrees Fahrenheit. Then shamefully leaves thirty seconds of dead space, before returning to the temperature.


As soon as Ciril passes, the clock sighs with relief and lets the whole town know that the day has started. Instantly school buses pick children from their assigned corners. Grandfathers serving as crossing guards safely usher stragglers across the street. Bank tellers, mail carriers, paperboys, teachers, and the milkman all start their day, while Ciril walks on at the same pace, reaching his office at exactly 7:59, in time to open his business for business.


Precisely at 16:31, Ciril leaves his office, crosses the street, and enters Mo’s restaurant. He smiles and nods at Marcie, the waitresses, and sits at his table in the back. He orders his usual dinner of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans, washes this down with a Pepsi, never Coke, and follows it with a slice of homemade apple pie. He pays the exact cost of his meal, including a twenty-five percent tip and leaves.


At 17:48 he enters Town Hall, turns on the lights in the conference room, and distributes the minutes from yesterday’s meeting. He ensures that the pitchers and glasses are clean and filled with fresh water. Then he sits in his usual seat, reviews his notes, and compares them with the minutes from the day before.


The town council meets from 18:00 till 22:00 five days a week. At exactly 22:32 after leaving the minutes on the mayor’s secretary’s desk, turning off all the lights, ensuring nobody is left in the building, he locks up. Ciril passes the bank on his way home, allowing the bank clock to double check its accuracy and shut down for the night. As does the rest of the town.


Although the weatherman comments on a very localized storm that is building over the town and suggests that people carry an umbrella, just in case, the meteorologist cannot explain the cause of the impending weather change.


Unbeknownst to Ciril time is forming a wrinkle. Tonight the council meeting ends a tad early. Follows his routine, he secures Town Hall at 21:17. A full hour and fifteen minutes ahead of time. As Ciril walks home and passes the bank, the clock gasps, assuming it is the one at fault. Hoping nobody notices its lapse, it resets itself before retiring for the night. Briefly it ponders if something else is the cause, but not having fingers, it can’t put one on the problem.


The town is now seriously out of step and hurries to catch up. Both traffic lights switch to their nighttime amber pattern, the washers and driers in the laundromat stop mid cycle, the movie theater halts the show in the middle of the third reel and turns off the lights. Teenagers protest but hurry home, nonetheless. Television stations skip their ten o’clock show and switch to the empty desk of the eleven o’clock news.


Ciril, unaware of the wrinkle he may or may not have created, continues toward home at his usual unhurried but steady pace, which takes him to his front door in 7 minutes, 6 seconds.


The wind picks up. Rain pours.


“Psst.” Not being used to being addressed on the street, and surely not at this time, it takes Ciril seven and a half seconds before he realizes that someone is trying to get his attention. Among the hydrangeas in Mrs. Flowers’ front yard is a … person. A person of the female persuasion, barely covered by pale blue blossoms. She’s lovely, though windblown.


“Ma’am?” He clears his throat as he is not used to addressing scantily clad women. “Are you speaking to me?” He averts his eyes – mostly - from the shapely figure and offers her his umbrella. With the speed of light, a hand clasps around his wrist and hauls him into the hydrangeas.


“Now, listen. And listen closely.” The enticing young lady is growing before his eyes. The cast of her eyes is ageless. She could have been molded from or been the model for Greek and Roman statues. Her voice reaches into infinity.


“Look at what you’ve done!” 


Slowly Ciril looks away from the imposing figure. Though the storm is raging all around, a window onto the vastness of eternity shows chaos. Up is sideways, hot is green. Otherworldly creatures are curling over water. Dinosaurs play keep-away with Pluto. Trolls game on an I-pad. Rockettes balance on a moonbeam. Fraternity pledges rush to catch a shooting star. A big white rabbit and a Chesire grin play darts with lightning bolts. But Ciril’s eyes can’t look away from the unicorns that skip rope with their rainbows. He hears leprechauns curse up a storm and curse themselves when they must brave the gale to retrieve their gold coins.


“You see now?”


“No,” Ciril confesses. “This doesn’t add up.” He rubs the back of his neck. “I don’t see how I’m to blame.”


“What time is it?” The woman demands.


“Time? Well, I was 3 point 4 minutes away from my home, so it must be 22: 36 point 6.” He doesn’t wear a watch, doesn’t need one. He’s always exactly on time.


“Try 21:21.” The huff ruffles Ciril’s hair.


“Preposterous!” he steps away, needing to wash his hands off the problem. “I was walking home when you rudely waylaid me into Mrs. Flowers’ yard. That was at 22: 36 point 4 or 5.” He’d give the lady the difference in the decimal. “Don’t you dare question me!” Ciril shouts over the raging storm, trying anger and posturing to overcome the unfamiliar glimmer of self-doubt.


“Oh, no!” The Athena or Juno laughs, but without mirth. “You made the mess. You fix it.”


Feeling the bands, the inherent limits of time, tightening around him, he frowns up at the Amazon, who seems to still be growing. “Who are you?”


“I am Time.” The storm calms to a steady downpour. “I will no longer tolerate being upstaged by you. You will respect me, will no longer ignore me, or think you can best and control me. Do you understand?”


Ciril, though cringing and gasping for breath at the stricture, has to be honest. He does not know how else to respond. “No, I don’t understand. I have my routines. I know the limits of time and have allocated specific amounts of the commodity to each of my activities. How am I in the wrong?”


“You, self-righteous asshat,” The sneer thunders through eternity and Ciril’s head. “Do not wear a watch. You, robot, do not consult time pieces, but allow time pieces to consult you. You, maggot, have presumed to be me! Just for that infraction I should, and will in time, punish you.” Her smile and chuckle hold no warmth, no joy, merely a promise.


“Until then, you will vary your routines, take on extra work or leave early. You will linger over dinner, take in a movie and.” The voice becomes sultry as the hydrangea-clad, voluptuous young woman returns. “And” she sighs, “You will become my lover, savoring every second of me. Who, I ask, will be a better distraction from your rigidly timed routine, but me?”

Ciril, a man, a mere mortal, does not see the calculation, the age-old seduction in her eyes when he sighs with acceptance.


It takes the town five minutes at most to realize that Ciril is no longer controlling Time. DMV employees call the next customer to their window when they damn well want to. Teachers return grades on their schedule. The milk may or may not be fresh when it is placed on the doorstep. The mail will be delivered today or another day. School bus drivers change their route without notice and leave little Skip standing on the corner, cowlick at attention.


But Ciril is unaware. His one true love, the logical and inevitable progression of Time is no longer his to manage. Time is now his ever mercurial, demanding Mistress, the one to deliciously control him. For their first anniversary, Time gives Ciril a watch. One that ticks to its own beat.




September 06, 2024 18:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Cedar Barkwood
03:48 Sep 11, 2024

I loved it! It was funny in the right moments, engaging, and well thought out. Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Trudy Jas
04:08 Sep 11, 2024

:-) Thank you for reading. So glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
16:53 Sep 16, 2024

Yep.. Clapping.

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:08 Sep 16, 2024

Taking a bow. Thanks. :-)

Reply

Tommy Goround
19:03 Sep 16, 2024

This story is strong. I am glad that I did not spend the $5 to compete against you. :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:33 Sep 16, 2024

Thank you, sir. It means a lot to hear you say that (correction, to read you writing that). :-)Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
16:49 Sep 16, 2024

Loved this. Really clever and creative. I particularly liked this passage: Up is sideways, hot is green. Otherworldly creatures are curling over water. Dinosaurs play keep-away with Pluto. Trolls game on an I-pad. Rockettes balance on a moonbeam. Fraternity pledges rush to catch a shooting star. A big white rabbit and a Chesire grin play darts with lightning bolts. But Ciril’s eyes can’t look away from the unicorns that skip rope with their rainbows. He hears leprechauns curse up a storm and curse themselves when they must brave the gale to...

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:07 Sep 16, 2024

Thanks, Tom. I'm so glad you liked that too. Just had to have some fun with words. 😆

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
13:35 Sep 16, 2024

I love this idea of a wrinkle in time being inadvertently created by the redoubtable Ciril. He now has to march to the beat of a different time. Very enjoyable piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Malcolm Twigg
11:12 Sep 16, 2024

What an absolute gem! If Salvadore Dali could write, he might have done something barely approaching this surreal masterpiece. Apart from identifying with the protagonist (I used to be a committee clerk/minutes secretary for the local town council) Ihung on every word, If this doesn't win, there's no justice.

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:35 Sep 16, 2024

Oh, my goodness! Thank you so much Malcolm. I, hope you are right. :-) Thanks for the wonderful feedback. A wonderful way to start the week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joshua Petty
05:02 Sep 15, 2024

Awesome story Trudy! Your great hook, punchy language, and pacing drew me in right away. I felt really smoothly brought into the magical realism which was fully locked in with the personification of the clock from more metaphorical to literal (I actually imagine the clock audibly sighing). I loved Time and her insults were delightful. The tempest Time shows Ciril is super cool, whimsical and engaging, but the meteorological rainstorm felt a bit out of place and unnessecary for me. I didn't feel like Ciril and Time were in the rain during th...

Reply

Trudy Jas
10:53 Sep 15, 2024

Thanks, Joshua. Wonderful feedback. They are in a little cocoon with the storm around them. I'm glad the rest worked for you, though. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:00 Sep 15, 2024

Very entertaining. I wasn't sure what was going to happen. And he wasn't rewarded for his excellent timekeeping? What is the world coming to? Lady Time is more flexible with the commodity than Ciril Precicz. So many interesting details. Wonderful.

Reply

Trudy Jas
10:50 Sep 15, 2024

Thanks, Kaitlyn. Yes, will wonders never cease? :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
19:56 Sep 14, 2024

Loved. Like the idea. Nice and relaxing.

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:07 Sep 14, 2024

Thanks, Darvico. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Sage
18:27 Sep 14, 2024

Playful and fun. I love the chaos that ensues when Cyril gets his times wrong, and the trippy descriptions of the time storm. Nicely done!

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:29 Sep 14, 2024

:-) :-) Thanks, Chris.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna W
15:53 Sep 14, 2024

This was great. I loved the line “not having fingers, it can’t put one on the problem.” So clever! I was pulled by this story, start to finish. Really well done Trudy!!

Reply

Trudy Jas
16:19 Sep 14, 2024

Thank you, Anna. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:01 Sep 14, 2024

Like Ciril, I too am a slave of time. I hate to be late. Give me an appointment and I will be at your door, dot on time; not a minute late or a minute early. You can set your watch if you like. However, Trudy, after reading your story, 'Temporal Tempest', I am inclined to change my ways and follow my wife's! I like your story.

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:16 Sep 14, 2024

Thank you, Sargam. I am one of those people who is chronically early. Feel I'm late if I show up five minutes ahead of time. I need to take a chill pill, I know. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Renate Buchner
15:00 Sep 14, 2024

It was a masterfully written story, and I could not predict how it would conclude. Wonderful work!

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:17 Sep 14, 2024

Thanks, Renate. I'm thrilled you liked it. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suzanne Jennifer
02:45 Sep 11, 2024

This story came together nicely. I didn't know what to expect and I like that. Well done.

Reply

Trudy Jas
03:19 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you, Suzanne. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keba Ghardt
23:03 Sep 09, 2024

I'll believe in any god that says 'self-righteous asshat'

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:05 Sep 09, 2024

Amen!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:41 Sep 09, 2024

Time always wins!

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:18 Sep 09, 2024

I don't think Ciril minds. :-) Thanks, Marty

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:12 Sep 07, 2024

Ciril takes Time, time and time again.

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:14 Sep 07, 2024

LOL And then Time takes Ciril. Thanks, Mary.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:26 Sep 07, 2024

We have a Ciril /Time crunch.

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:00 Sep 07, 2024

A meeting of mind, soul and watch

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
17:22 Sep 07, 2024

Such a creative take, Trudy! I love how unique your take was. I was going through my time idioms to see how it ends (They fall in love and Time is (wearing) gold ? Or....a turn to the dark and it's killing time?). LOL ! Great work !

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:24 Sep 07, 2024

Oh, hadn't thought about killing time. Chapter 2, then. LOL Thanks, Alexis.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:42 Sep 07, 2024

Good opening, I like the breakfast widening out into the town panorama. He is an interesting character. Like the clock having a personality. Like the timing of everything getting unhinged, the ensuing chaos is intriguing. Good description of his unexpected visitation and the accusation levelled at him. I wasn't expecting the twist but it felt right.

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:51 Sep 07, 2024

Thanks, Tempest. I'm glad the story worked. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.