39 comments

Drama Coming of Age Fiction

For the longest time, when I thought about who I was, I could only see you. When asked what I wanted, I would turn to ask you. Sometimes, I still do. I wouldn’t be where I am without you, and for that I am grateful, but those ties that once bound us have frayed and snapped and will never be what they were.

I was your obsession, even before I had a heartbeat. My existence was pre-plotted by you—you who consulted the calendar and mapped your cycles like stars in the sky, then aligned those nights for bodies to collide, and the seed of me took root within the shadowed depths of your womb. From that moment on, I was at the mercy of your choices.

When I was born, my little life was instantly set to the rhythm of the ticking of your internal clock. You were the sun, and everyone revolved around you. My days and nights played out according to your researched methods and schedules. You decided when I would eat, when I would be played with, and when I would rest before my needs and preferences could be voiced into language; I was helpless to do anything but accept your care.

And you did care. It was evident in the extraordinary lengths you took to regulate every facet of my life, all of which went unnoticed by me in those first few years. But Dad was there through it all, a silent observer barred from uttering any word in opposition to your designs. I’ve heard him hiss—scattered, under-the-breath comments of the rigorous expectations you chained yourself to, how you set a series of timers to rule our days together, how you snapped at anyone who dared suggest you relax and relinquish the vision you had of your new life with me. But I was your first and your last, and you put your whole self into my upbringing.

When I was old enough, you chose a school for me—the best in the area—and we relocated to a district where tuition cost almost as much as our mortgage. I remember walking into that big empty house, where you’d already taped labels onto every door. Master bedroom. Office. Jenna. I lay on the floor of my new bedroom, watching the fan blades spin, and I dreamed of flying to a land where clocks didn’t tick and mothers didn’t tsk at every misstep and mistake.

I remember you and I going to a department store together, the week before school began. I had found a pair of pink sneakers covered with sequins and I was enamored with the way they caught the light and glittered. Fairy dust shoes I called them. I clutched them to my chest and begged to have them, but you made me put them back, and I did. You had already filled a cart with items, and “shoes” had been checked off your list. You curated a new wardrobe for me, decided my whole look. I wouldn’t be plain, but I wouldn’t stand out. I needed to fit in here, you’d said, and make an impression as a good student.

And I was an impeccable student. I followed the rules, and you praised me for it. Teachers told you I was a joy in class, and that made you smile. I was bright and brimming with potential, and you proudly told the world I was your daughter. You laid expectations before me, and I never stopped reaching for them. When I was good, you loved me, and so I wanted to be the best.

As I grew older, I watched the children around me spread their wings and explore new territory. I tried to test the limits of my own nest, but my tether to you was short, and I couldn’t even see over the edge. From day one, you told me what to wear, what to eat, when to rise, when to sleep. You told me who to be, and eventually the lines blurred between what you wanted and what I wanted.

But I never broke your rules, never bucked against your wishes. Mostly, because at the end of every day I didn’t have the energy to fight you. You filled every hour of my life with productivity, stimulation, and extracurricular activities. When you signed me up for dance classes, I squeezed into a leotard and practiced my stretches. When you drove me across town to take piano lessons with old Mrs. Weiss in her too-hot house, I brought my sheet music and my best manners. When you showed up at my school and signed me up for math competitions, I didn’t release the steam that had been building. I kept my mouth shut, afraid I would explode. 

Dad used to fight for me, used to stand up to you and insist you were putting too much on me. But he grew tired of losing, tired of being caught between the woman and the girl he loved, and tired of you turning that icy look on us both. When you were angry, the whole house felt cold, and so we tried to keep the peace.

When I grew taller and began to change the way young girls do, you would watch me with a squint that stayed for every year my age ended in “teen”. You’d walk by my room, peek your head in to check on me, then leave the door half open, as if I’d had demons, or drugs, or god-forbid a boy hiding in my closet. I would catch you looking over my shoulder at what I was reading and who I was messaging, always with a pinched look on your face as if nothing was good enough.

You didn’t approve of any of my friends; they were bad influences—too brazen, too outspoken, and you did not want me to associate with them. And so I saw them at school, in those brief windows throughout the day when my time was my own and I could breathe air that hadn’t already been exhaled by you. But when the bell rang and I walked down those stone steps, you were always waiting for me out front, where we’d drive home in silence to our mausoleum of dead dreams.

Family dinners became quiet affairs. You’d stare as I talked about my day at school—about new friends I’d made and where they were from—interrupting me to ask if “Taylor” was a boy or a girl. Dad would turn to you with that look of his own, the one where he shot one eyebrow up and cleared his throat, the look we both knew meant, “just leave her alone.” You’d stop asking questions, and I’d stop talking altogether.

During the summer, I wanted a job, but you set a stack of scholarship applications in front of me and said that was my job. You told me you and Dad would help with college, but only if I went to one of the schools on the three brochures in front of me. I was only a freshman then, but you wanted me to aim high and get an early start. 

When my classmates began to drive, first in their parents’ cars, then in vehicles of their own, I asked when I could get my license. You looked offended by my question, but simply said “not yet.” That was your answer every time I asked, and so you continued to drive me to school. You liked those words: “no” and “not yet.” I sometimes wondered if you even heard my requests before refusing them.

One ride to school turned into another and another until the day came when it would be my last ride. I cleaned out my locker and walked down those stone steps for the very last time. I donned a black cap and gown and delivered the valedictorian speech to my entire graduating class—something sweet and inspiring about spreading our wings—and then I was gone, and I didn’t look back.

I would choose my own path. I didn’t want your money, your stipulations. I didn’t want your talons in me for one more minute.

My flight from the nest was not graceful. I crashed into trees and tore my face on sharp branches, and no one was there to pick me up and point out the way. I embraced every freedom that had been withheld from me, and my arms couldn’t hold them all. I made mistakes, I took risks, I found out the hard way that not everyone is who they say they are, and not everyone wants to see you succeed. I learned how big the world is, and how very small I am. I learned what it felt like to be used and deceived, lost and alone.

I questioned everything I thought I knew about myself, and I realized how angry I was with you–you who held me so closely that I couldn’t breathe, couldn’t see the world beyond the pictures of it you’d painted for me. I sometimes wondered if maybe you’d been held too tightly too, if suffocation was all you knew. But I stumbled through life, seeing things with new eyes, and eventually I figured it out and I made it to where I am today, all without you

And then, I found love—a wonderful, resilient love, the kind of love that doesn’t squeeze you so tightly it crushes you. The kind that embraces my ugly with my beauty, my failures with my successes—a love not dependent on constant perfection. It is real and raw and everything I never had.

We eloped on a Thursday and built a life together. And when I thought my joy was at its fullest, that love welled up and spilled over and created something pure and new—a seven pound bundle of happiness we couldn’t take our eyes off.

She is everything we could have hoped for, and nothing we could have prepared for. She tests our patience and makes us laugh all in the same breath. She’s beautiful and messy and sweet and sour all at once. She’s good and kind, strong and smart, and she has your eyes–eyes I haven’t seen in a long time.

Her name is June. I want you to meet her, and I want you to love her for exactly who she is.

And I want her to know you because you’re my mother, and I’ll always love you.

November 02, 2022 19:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Sophia Gavasheli
02:50 Nov 05, 2022

This was so achingly beautiful! Your sentences are breathtaking! They flow so well. I love the POV; it reveals that no matter how much Jenna wants to get away from her mother, she's still tied to her. I also really like the theme; you have to make mistakes and take risks to grow. You can't plan everything, and life is fun because plans go awry. Some of my favorite lines(I loved all of them, but still): - "I wouldn’t be where I am without you, and for that I am grateful, but those ties that once bound us have frayed and snapped and will neve...

Reply

Aeris Walker
03:42 Nov 05, 2022

Thank you sincerely, Sophia!! I love that you see that in the POV--how it instantly "ties" the narrator to who she's speaking to. That 1st/2nd hybrid kind of point of view is my favorite for that reason. I so appreciate you taking the time to read, to pick out your favorite lines, and to spread your encouragement. It means a lot ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
06:44 Nov 03, 2022

OMG, Aeris... this story brought goosebumps and tears to me at the same time. For I know many of us have exercised/experienced a bit of overzealous parenting ourselves. You have taken up an issue that is more prevalent than people would like to acknowledge and put it under a microscope. I also like how you play with different writing styles. This one definitely has a literary fiction vibe to it. I liked so many lines in this one, but my favourite were, 1) I could breathe air that hadn’t already been exhaled by you. 2) we’d drive home in si...

Reply

Aeris Walker
21:53 Nov 03, 2022

I will take an “OMG” reaction from you any day!! I’m so glad you enjoyed it, and I think you picked all of my favorite lines too. I love how how you described that, their “mutual disenchantment.” That sums it up perfectly. When we get older, we realize our parents were just normal human beings who made mistakes like everyone else—but they did the best they knew how. Thanks for reading, Suma, always appreciated!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
00:32 Nov 03, 2022

Great take on the prompt! She's not just controlling her own life, but her daughter's too. I'm sure a lot of people can relate to this, to a greater or lesser extent. Some of the passages were infuriating, like the "not yets", or the exclusion of the father, and the icy anger when the mother didn't get her way. This does, of course, naturally prompt the question: why. Why is the mother like this? The narrator also wonders. We assume it's not malice. I think that's safe. So then what events in her own life led her to parent like this? Is it...

Reply

Aeris Walker
00:50 Nov 03, 2022

When I was done with the whole thing, I could see where the “psychology” behind the mother’s behavior wasn’t really fleshed out, but then again, maybe the daughter didn’t know much about her mothers upbringing…they didn’t seem very close. I’m glad those passages came across as infuriating! Without the MC just completely flipping her lid, I wanted to show that tension in there somehow. As always, thank you for reading; I grant you 100 honorary karma points for your keen observatory skills.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Allen
13:55 Nov 07, 2022

This was fantastic. Packed with emotions and beautiful imagery. The way you build and develop the protagonist's relationship with their mother throughout is simply masterful. Perhaps the best compliment I can give is to say that I usually struggle with stories that span such a large time frame, but this one kept me hooked throughout.

Reply

Aeris Walker
16:43 Nov 08, 2022

Thanks so much Daniel! I really appreciate it 😊😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim Firth
14:26 Nov 05, 2022

I like Jenna. She just moved on and did her own thing, then seemed willing to forgive her mum. I hope she proves to her that a looser style of parenting is more healthy for everyone involved. The little bundle of joy can be the catalyst! Those additional two sentences were just right and didn't impede the flow. It was better for us to wonder why the mother is like she is. Good choice!

Reply

Aeris Walker
20:21 Nov 05, 2022

Thanks for coming back to read the updated version, Jim! Super grateful for your thorough beta read and helpful suggestions. The prompts this week seem pretty interesting—hope you feel inspired!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
06:43 Nov 05, 2022

A while back I read a funny and interesting article in my favourite paper The Guardian, titled something like Goodbye to Tiger Mom and welcome to the School of Jellyfish. It took a subjective look at over zealous parenting (mothering actually) and proposed a more adaptable and let-it-drift approach. I'd thought hard about turning the read into literary credits but no ideas dropped like pennies. I forgot about it and now, ker-ching!: I've a million dollar Aeris story on Tiger Mom. I love the subtext of this: the talons of the mother puncturin...

Reply

Aeris Walker
14:58 Nov 06, 2022

Your comments make perfect sense--that's what's I hoped to achieve by using this "I" to "You" POV, as it felt like the narrator telling the story directly to her mother reflected a sense of regained control in itself. I'm also a sucker for imagery, particularly metaphors that relate to the natural world (which is what I loved so much about your recent story). As always, thank you for reading and sharing your intelligent and encouraging thoughts--they are such treasures!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Calm Shark
05:36 Nov 05, 2022

Aeris, this is a very heartfelt piece and I've noticed how great you tackle sad topics and you embrace it very well. Towards the end, I really said "aww" because of the last sentence. Thank you Aeris for writing this story.

Reply

Aeris Walker
22:11 Nov 06, 2022

Thank you so much for your kind words! I’m glad it was emotional impactful ☺️

Reply

Calm Shark
22:25 Nov 06, 2022

No problem Aeris:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
05:56 Nov 04, 2022

Great story at usual, Aeris! I really like your main character; she's sure of herself and her path and has developed and grown into a conscious mother, which I was hoping would happen because too often we turn out exactly like our oppressors if we don't pay attention! Well done!

Reply

Aeris Walker
20:38 Nov 05, 2022

Thank you so much, Rama! ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
13:14 Nov 03, 2022

Hi Aeris I really enjoyed your take on this prompt! I thought this would have been a hard one to write, but your approach nails it: a controlling mother. While not an uncommon trope, I appreciate that you chose to write it from the perspective of the person being controlled, rather than have the narrator be the person controlling everything. This allowed us to see the effects the mother had on her daughter. I really enjoyed all the details you used to show this, like with the fairy dust shoes she wasn't allowed to have, and the mothers need ...

Reply

Aeris Walker
19:23 Nov 04, 2022

Hey Anne Marie! Thank you so much for reading and sharing your thoughts (I genuinely appreciate critique and always want to know what works/doesn’t for the reader). I asked myself that question too, but felt like with the MC’s personality, she would not shun her mother forever, and after becoming a parent herself would want to reach out and try to rebuild their relationship. But I think showing an alternate ending too would be realistic for many people in her situation. Thanks again ☺️

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:58 Nov 04, 2022

Hey Aeris, I don't even think I meant it as a critique to be honest, it was just surprising. And I think it is hard to write a surprising ending! Also, as someone recently told me, a worth-while read is one worth grappling with, so the fact I had questions is, in this case, a good thing. I guess I was putting myself in the story a little too much, thinking I would not want to be around a suffocating mother like that. But I agree with you, the MC did seem like she would welcome her mother in. Anyhoo, lovely story Aeris :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
04:40 Dec 13, 2022

What a powerful story about a mother's fear of losing her daughter and wanting the best for her, but not really knowing the appropriate way to express it. So many parents mistake control and power for love and it is indeed a sad thing for no one is ever really happy in these kinds of relationships. Beautifully written

Reply

Aeris Walker
23:24 Dec 13, 2022

Yep, you are so right! Thanks for reading ☺️ I’m so behind on Reedsy stories, still trying to catch up on the old and new talent here.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
23:45 Dec 13, 2022

As a new short story writer -I wrote my first one a month ago- and Reedsy participant, I really appreciate whatever eyeballs come to rest on my stories. People sharing how they view my work will really help me learn this craft. So many stories, so little time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bradon L
04:04 Nov 17, 2022

I love this line - “I could breathe air that hadn’t already been exhaled by you.“. (Chefs Kiss) “But I stumbled through life, seeing things with new eyes, and eventually I figured it out and I made it to where I am today, all without you.” - This one I also really liked. The ending though! (Another chefs kiss). Really hit me in the feels. Another stellar story Aeris!

Reply

Aeris Walker
09:28 Nov 18, 2022

Bradon! Thank you so much for stopping by and reading, I really appreciate it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
01:20 Nov 17, 2022

Extreme and intense. Very realistic, I'm sure, for more than are willing to admit for some of this story. I could breathe air that hadn’t already been exhaled by you. - Wow! Powerful It speaks to feeling stifled big time. But I want to keep going and discover what is /can be without mom (attitude comes through). Because sometimes you cannot plan everything all the time - life happens. This line made me think of almost every little kid's thinking at some point. "When I was good, you loved me, so I wanted to be the best." But somehow, t...

Reply

Aeris Walker
09:55 Nov 18, 2022

Thank you so much, Lily!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Heather Koelle
21:38 Nov 09, 2022

Aeris, this is a wonderful story! There were many similarities to my childhood, but with BOTH parents controlling. It took me many years to grow up, even after marriage and children of my own. Gradually, with support from friends, therapy, and two 12-step programs, I claimed my own opinions and identity. It is when we become parents(and then grandparents) that we begin to truly understand our parents. I loved this story!

Reply

Aeris Walker
17:56 Nov 12, 2022

Thank you so much for reading, Heather and for sharing a bit of your own story :) I'm glad to hear you are doing so well now, and you're so right, there is a lot we can only understand about parenting when we are finally the one's in the driver's seat. I enjoyed your story too and hope you continue to write!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
21:31 Nov 09, 2022

You've struck a real chord here, I'd venture a universal one. Parents are as imperfect as all humans are capable of being. To accept a parent as is, even when they are not able to do the same in return, takes a lot. I was told once we all are born with a chemical in our brains that makes connection with our parents one of the most powerful needs/urges we'll ever have in life. Your wrap-up here was a beautiful depiction of just that. Nice work!

Reply

Aeris Walker
14:07 Nov 11, 2022

Thank you for reading Susan. I think that is so true, about the bond children have with parents. And that gives parents a very heavy responsibility: to not abuse that trust—to parent with love and honesty about our own shortcomings, to hold them tightly, but not crush them. Thanks again, Susan ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:19 Nov 08, 2022

Beautiful story as always, Aeris. :) I really enjoyed it. Love how you started before she was born and took it full circle with the baby. I was half-expecting Jenna to start micromanaging her own child and have some kind of epiphany about her mother's behaviour!

Reply

Aeris Walker
22:05 Nov 09, 2022

Hi Shuvayon!! Thank you so much for reading ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liv Chocolate
18:30 Nov 07, 2022

Wonderful descriptions!

Reply

Aeris Walker
13:34 Nov 11, 2022

Thank you so much, Liv!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
12:56 Nov 07, 2022

Clapping. Intense emotions.

Reply

Aeris Walker
20:03 Nov 07, 2022

Thank you, Tommy! I listened to your story, “no more Laundry” on the podcast, great job reading it. And congrats on the shortlist ☺️

Reply

Tommy Goround
21:04 Nov 07, 2022

Huh. Hmm.. you must be one of those people with infinite patience. We had a little problem with four times the story required a whisper and it came out as a boom that should have blown your eardrums. Ok. Sorry. Mom says to appreciate a compliment. Thank you ever so beautiful. Lee. Thank you ever so beautifully Thank you for being beautiful.

Reply

Aeris Walker
00:14 Nov 08, 2022

Technical difficulties get the best of all of us ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.