The Time Lord: Traveler of Time and Space

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

Jeremy Shaw's eighteenth birthday began like any other: he woke up to the smell of pancakes and bacon, his absolute favorite birthday breakfast, went downstairs, greeted his parents, and chowed down on his breakfast. 

 Just as he was getting done, the phone rang, which was to be expected. It is his birthday after all. His Great Grandpa Pete had called, said happy birthday, and said that he had a present for Jeremy. So Jeremy got dressed and traveled two blocks to see his Grandpa Pete. Jeremy was so excited that he didn't even find a matching pair of socks but rather went with a knee high and a no-show.

 When he entered, his grandpa greeted Jeremy with unusual excitement. His Grandpa Pete had always been a happy man but even this amount of excitement was unusual to Jeremy. After his grandpa had hugged Jeremy and said good morning, Jeremy had been shown an old pocket watch which his grandpa had owned since the Vietnam War. 

 Only briefly had Jeremy ever seen the pocket watch, so he was very surprised that his grandpa would give him a gift which he had never been allowed to touch. It was worn silver with gold around the face of it. When Jeremy asked why his grandpa would give him something so special, he was only given a cryptic message. His grandpa said "Jeremy, you are a man now, and ever since you were a boy I've felt something special coming from you. You are meant to have this." Jeremy thanked his great grandpa and ran home, excited, and thought nothing of the message he had been given. 

Knowing that his parents would be gone for work by now, Jeremy got home and ran to his room, excited to take a better look at his present. He noticed that the time was slightly off so he tried to adjust it. But when he twisted the dial to adjust the time, a white light emanated around him. When it dissipated, he found himself on a strange planet. It looked like Earth but it was empty and the ground had an odd, pale color to it. 

 When Jeremy looked up, he saw the familiar blue and green planet known as Earth, his home, off in the distance. Now Jeremy was panicking. "How did I get here?!" he asked absolutely nobody. "Where am I and how do I go back home?"

 When Jeremy looked over, about 100 yards away, he saw a big crater. "Woah!" he exclaimed. "This must be the moon!" Instantly Jeremy had thought back to what his grandpa said. "Could this be a part of what Grandpa Pete had been talking about? No way" he thought. 

 Jeremy had thought back to how he got to the moon. "What if I turn the time back to where it was?" So Jeremy turned the watch back to exactly where it had been before he was transported. 

 Before he knew it, the same white light started flowing around him. When it faded, he was back in his room. When he looked at the clock, he noticed that only thirty seconds had passed. "Impossible! It feels like I was there for hours!" he exclaimed. 

 The first thing that Jeremy did was pat his body down to make sure that he was okay. After he got his bearings and made sure that all was as it should be, Jeremy went back to see his great grandpa. He didn't spare a second when he burst through the door. "Grandpa, this is no ordinary pocket watch!" When he looked at his grandpa, he just had a smirk on his face. "Grandpa, what is this thing?!" Pete laughed "you adjusted the time and went to the moon, didn't you?"

 Jeremy was dumbfounded. He thought that he was just hallucinating but his grandpa knew exactly what happened. "Grandpa, how did you know?" Pete just looked at his great grandson with an all-knowing look and said "Jeremy, that watch is special, and we don't find it; it finds us. This watch has immense power and you must use it wisely." Jeremy responded "what do you mean, grandpa?" Grandpa Pete said "Jeremy, this watch has the power to propel you through time and space. Its power can change the world, which is why I waited until you turned eighteen to give it to you. You're meant for something great in this world, and this watch will help you with that. You are now known as a Time Lord, and I was one before you." 

 Jeremy had so many questions but the first was "what's a Time Lord? Do you mean the guy from Doctor Who?" His grandpa responded with a hearty laugh "Yes but no, my dear boy. A Time Lord is someone that can manipulate time and space. It's something that only runs in the Shaw bloodline, and you are the first to grow into this power since myself. Without the watch, you cannot travel. But without a Time Lord, the watch is nothing more than a pocket watch. Without one, the other is powerless. Much like the moon affects the tides; there cannot be one without the other. It is up to you whether you use this power for good or bad. This watch will take you places that you could only dream of; until now. I don't know how it came to be but there is something special in our DNA that makes us special. There are many rumors as to why we are special. Some say we're part alien and others say it's a genetic mutation that is unique to us. Though all Shaw's contain this special DNA, it is recessive in 75% of us. My great grandpa was a Time Lord as well and he taught me, only his was the grandfather clock that sits behind me. Had the grandfather clock not found him, World War I would have never been won by the United States; and had the great great grandpa of his great great grandpa not been a Time Lord like us, the Revolutionary War would have never been won, and we would most likely still be under British control" 

           The End

June 30, 2020 19:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.