0 comments

Adventure Drama Romance

Some crisp evening air, an open bedroom window, and a comfortable bed can rejuvenate anyone’s tired old sole come morning. Many moons have passed since I woke up so refreshed and man does it feel good. Rolling right outta bed I head towards the window to catch more of the morning air.

“SQUEAK!” I jump as something scurries across the windowsill, probably just a chipmunk.

Looking through the screen to scope out the yard as a gentle breeze rustle leaves on the trees and stirs up fresh lilac through the window. Giving a quick scratch here and there over my PJ’s I soon wander into the kitchen.

Coffee is always the first mission of the morning, a classic Eight O’clock bean is my favorite grind. A few heaping scoops of grounds, some filtered water, and were good to go. The pot begins to brew and flood the kitchen with the fresh aroma of coffee, the day has officially started! Peeking out the back door I smile as the sun filters through the trees across the deck. Really ready to be outside today but first things first, breakfast.

Quickly, I decided that it’s defiantly a bacon & eggs morning. With a flick of a match, I fire up that stove, slap the bacon down in the skillet, and watch it sizzle. Pushing the bacon to one side once it crisps, I make way for the eggs, just like grandma. She “owned” her kitchen; her one skillet meals were legendary back home. I crack two eggs in the pan and wait for the flip. The smell in the kitchen is heavenly, and I’m floating on cloud 9 right now. The eggs are almost done, pop down the toaster, then pour a cup of coffee. I grabbed my favorite breakfast plate off the counter and begin to pile it up high. First the bacon, then the eggs, quickly spread jelly on the toast, and viola breakfast is served.

“Today we will be dining AL fresco” I said to my self opening the screen door.

Walking up to the table I balance my coffee and plate in one hand to push some bottle and cans away to make room on the table. The stale smell of the table was not stopping me from devouring the eggs, you always eat the eggs first. I wondered for a moment if I should cook some more but that thought passed, I’ll probably be full after a few minutes anyway. More coffee was a must though, scooting back my chair to get up and suddenly Wham I’m looking up at the sky! Pushing away the folded legs of my old deck chair I brush off the last bites of my glorious breakfast. Getting up I see the last of my Grandma’s plates shattered across the patio. Picking up the last piece of the toast off the table and grabbed my coffee cup. Walking through the screen door I glance back and assess the mess. Slamming the door behind me I go to pour some coffee and start to think about my next mission.

I yell, “What should I do today?” slamming my fist on the counter.

Looking around the room I catch a glimpse of a hiking boot laying behind the chair and luckily the other boot was wedged right next to it.

“Hello old friend.” I say dusting off the boots.

I’ve decided to be one with nature, hit the road and go hiking. The forest preserve is all the way across town, but I haven’t been there since I first moved here. Anyways, It was just a quick visit and wanted to go back sooner but life happens. You get tied up doing everything else that needs to be done and not doin a dam thing you want to do.

The Black Paw Forest Preserve, it’s named this to honor it’s rich Native American history. I remember It’s over 1000 acres, and filled with all sorts of wildlife, hills, trees, and lakes. This reminds me, a while back I over heard some people talking about this place at the 7 Eleven. The one guy was saying he saw a Black Bear up on the bluffs while looking through his binoculars. I’m not going up that high but still, maybe I’ll see one. Anyways, I’ll just be glad to be outside, away from here, and enjoying the day.

Digging out my boots uncovered my old backpack still full of books from school. I dumped them out to make room for today’s supplies. Some granola bars, water bottles, a hoodie, a flannel, and can’t forget the bug spray. The ticks love me, they always find me, just walking close to the woods will get them crawling on me. Only need to stop for Gatorade and I’m ready to roll.

Walking into 7 Eleven I shout “Roogeelioo my friend!” Then quickly duck down behind the aisle.

Rogelio replies with his heavy accent “don’t you hide from me George!”

I pop up “Hey man…how you doing buddy.”

He says “don’t buddy me George.”

“What, were not friends anymore?” I said

He shouts “you haven’t been here in months…my Slurpee machine misses you…and stop singing my name.”

Laughing I reply “ooh you still like me, I’m sorry I haven’t stopped in, been going through a rough patch, you know.”

“Rough patch…my hole life’s a rough patch.” He said.

“OK, well let me help you through it.” I plop down six Gatorade’s on the counter.

“Where you going George?” he asks.

I say “up to Black Paw for the day.”

“Oh George, you got your whistle?” he said.

I reply “whistle for what?”

“Big cats up there George.” he says holding his arms out as far as he can.

Scoffing I say “what are you doing, are you juicing me, trying to get me to buy a whistle?”

He exclaimed “No juice George…I hear things…people always talk here…I listen. you need a whistle.”

“OK, you got me, I’ll buy a whistle. But when you don’t see me in here you’ll know it didn’t work.” I said.

“No George, when I see you in here, I’ll know it did work.” he said.

I reply “it’s good to see you again Rogelio.”

“Take care George…Hey bring a friend next time” He yells as the door closes.

That guy kills me, he must be the only person that works there. Anytime I’ve stopped in he’s been the only person behind the register, I should probably swing by more often.

The drive to Black Paw is a little congested through the city, but once I’m out of town it’s smooth sailing. The entrance to the park is pretty cool, flanked with two huge signs made from solid log timbers with “BLACK PAW” carved in the wood. Driving down the long winding road to the parking area my stress and worries seem to slip away, that’s worth the drive right there. Plenty of parking spots available and a new pavilion houses a few vending machines. The Gatorade machine catches my eye, Rogelio will love hearing about this. I find a spot close to the trail entrance, put my cell phone, whistle, and drinks in the backpack then lock the truck.

Walking down the path my shoes crunching the gravel seems to be amplified against the peacefulness of the woods. So much nature to absorb, the crisp shades of green fill the sky as far as the eye can see. All the birds singing capture my imagination as I wander pass tree after tree, it’s almost endless beauty. Over the next hill and the path splits in two, the left is open to the prairie and the right goes deeper into the woods. Stopping for a moment, I remember about the bug repellent. Pulling out the bug spray a Gatorade rolls outta my backpack. A heavy mist consumes my body as It’s sprayed all around me. Stepping out of the mist to swig down some fluids a feverish cough projected from my lungs. Even the birds stopped chirping until my coughing spell had ended. Finally able to catch my breath, then a quick twist of the cap to chug down some liquids. The cool temperature against a roughed-up throat refreshed my entire body. Wiping my eyes then slinging on my backpack I begin to focus on the next mission.

Beginning to walk towards the prairie and something stops me for a moment. The forest is oddly silent as I feel like the woods are calling me in. With no resistance my feet take me into the woods, the forest come alive, and a peaceful feeling overcomes me. Again my imagination carries me away as the forest passes by tree after tree. With all my senses filled with natures bounty the horizon soon outlines a large beehive hanging low off a branch. Walking cautiously closer to get a better look my eyes are pealed for any signs of bees. A few steps further and Crack! Suddenly my body falls forward with both arms stretched out and my hand smacks through the beehive. Thinking that the bees are going to sting I quickly get up to run and soon realize there are no bees. To my relief the hive was left over from last year and is abandoned. Cracking a big smile while brushing off my hands and face something else appears in the distance.

Dusting off my pants while walking towards this object it appears to be the back end of an arrow. The buzzing of flies is apparent as the object draws near. It’s not an arrow but the claw of a large bird that is sticking up from the grass. Laying on it’s back with both wings open and a leg clawing towards the sky is a large wild turkey. Well a dead wild turkey, my eyes begin to water as the pungent odor begins to burn my nose. Backing away from the carcass I can hear a faint chirping off in the distance. Turning towards the sound and walking diligently through the tall grass I’m soon upon a nest of baby turkeys. The cracked shells are still surrounding their body with necks stretched long and beaks open. Pulling my hoodie from the backpack I try to make something to carry the baby chicks. Seven turkeys cradled in my left arm held close to my chest cheeping and pecking while I wonder where do I go?

Suddenly realizing the daylight has escaped me I scan the horizon for a sign of hope. Off in the distance looks to be and old cabin, maybe someone is there? My hope that someone’s home begins to fade as the tall grass gets taller and the turkeys continue cheeping and pecking at my arm. Just then a light goes on in the cabin and a much needed burst of energy emerges. Walking faster now and the cabin is well in sight, a true log cabin with a porch and a small stone chimney. On the porch is a large wood carved bear holding a jar of honey. Knocking rapidly on the door the turkeys cheep louder from all the ruckus. The door opens and a silhouette of a woman appears.

“Well what do we have here?” she said.

Half out of breath I reply “Baby turkeys…mother turkey died…I’m trying to save them…can you help me?”

“Yes, look at how cute!” she replied.

I say, “They’re defiantly hungry.”

She says, “Come in, come in, let me grab a box.”

“That would be great.” I reply.

She brings back a large box “Now just reach your arms in the box and set them down slow, I’ll grab the dropper.”

“OK” I reply

She brings back a large glass of milk with the food dropper and begins to feed all seven turkeys, one after the other. They slowly started to quiet down by time the milk was gone.

With amazement I said, “How did you know what to do so quick?”

She replies, “when you live out here these kind of things just happen. My name is Julia by the way.”

“Hello Julia, my name is George. It’s very nice to meet you.” I said.

“It’s nice to meet you to George.” She replies.

“Thank you so much for helping me.” I said.

She said “Oh it’s no trouble, these guys look like they’ll be fine for a while. Hey listen, I was getting ready to make a sandwich before you got here, would you like a sandwich?”

“That sounds great, I am starving.” I said.

She replies, “Grab a seat at the kitchen table and I’ll whip us up a couple of plates! If you don’t mind me asking, where were you coming from anyways?”

I walk over to the table and sit down “I’ve been walking through Black Paw since morning.”

She yells “Black Paw! You’re a long ways away from Black Paw, you must have took a wrong turn outta the park or something, but don’t worry I’ll get you back there.”

She sets the food on the table and sits across from me. Looking away from Julia down at the food and there sits my grandma’s plate looking back at me.

I said, “thank you for the sandwich, and by the way I love your plates.”

She replied, “Yeah…they came with the cabin, they were my aunts. Oh the stories they could tell, so many great meals off of them. I wouldn’t trade them for the world.”

I reply “I was hoping you would say that.”

August 05, 2023 03:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.