45 comments

Fiction Sad Romance

If it was the end of the world, what would you do?


For the citizens of Sector 20 of the Galaxy MW.43, this is not a hypothetical question. They have exactly 3 hours before everything they have ever known is gone. This once beautiful planet, reduced to floating debris, in some forgotten corner of the universe. Maybe the ashes of this dilapidated planet will one day become part of the stars again, or maybe they won’t, maybe this is truly the end of the story for the human race.


While the rest of the planet is a frenzied mess, seeking their loved ones, a man named Clarence is alone, sitting in his favorite chair, thinking. Just like his demeanor, his face has lost all urgency, what used to be composed of sharp lines is now deflated, like a disheveled balloon. Clarence is not scared, it has been an hour since The Announcement and all he can feel is a bone crushing sense of relief. One cannot be lonely in death. 


His house is a shrine of photographs, depicting a time when Clarence’s eyes were not filled with longing for something long since passed. A woman frequents the majority of these pictures, her long brown hair falls around eyes that taste like honey and sound like distant violins.


 Clarence has lived his whole life surrounded by exotic colors and tastes. He was at his first school dance when he figured out that not everyone could see the dancing of senses. Clarence held his heart in his palms when he told the girl who sat next to him in English class, that she smelt like petrichor and tasted like the sun after it had rained, warm, welcoming, a gentle distraction. It only took a cruel smile and a dismissive laugh for his heart to be cracked in two, the breaking of his most precious belonging. Clarence learned after that dance to keep his heart hidden under layers of protective indifference.


But that all changed when he met her. Everything stopped, the colors that clouded his vision dulled into gray compared to her, she was all he could see, his very own rainbow. When he met the eyes of this wonderful symphony, he could not help but wear his heart on his sleeve. But it has been years since her myriad of colors graced the earth, and now Clarence is left behind, the world devastatingly gray without her.


When you get to an age when you are the only one left, the end of the world doesn’t seem so scary anymore, Clarence thinks. Bring it on, I have watched everyone I have ever loved die right in front of me, you think you can break me? So Clarence does what he has always done when the world gets so deafeningly quiet, he turns on the TV. 


It has been exactly 1 hour and 30 minutes since the voice of… well, we don’t quite know what or who it is, some claim that it is God, others claim it to be aliens. But for those who have just tuned in, here’s the footage:

“You have all failed. Never before have we seen a planet that would rather stare at their screens than the destruction they are causing around them. Our council has decided that you have violated not one, but 5 articles of the Universal Code. We take no joy in killing younglings, but your actions, or lack of actions, have forced our hands. You have 3 hours-”


In all that has been said Clarence only hears one word: younglings. He married the woman of violins and honey one year after they met. She was called Ida, and they loved each other with their whole being. Their home was filled with love, music and books, so many books. She loved to read, she consumed words like fire consumes paper, desperately, with no restraint. Yet the longing for children courses through the house, an empty nursery a reminder of all they do not have. 


Life is all fireworks, lemon cake and yellow when you have someone that understands you, really understands you, and all empty coffee mugs, rusted metal and broken glass when they are gone and you left, weeping without them.


 It took 2 hours for the best day of Clarence's life to turn into the worst. The kind that no amount of time can let you forget. He drove them to the hospital as quickly as he could, in anticipation for the baby that they had waited so many years for. They arrived just 20 minutes after her waters had broken. Ida was crying with joy, and Clarence could only hear the all encompassing melody of violins. When the screams gave way to quiet, Clarence was left in the room, standing still, while a maelstrom of medics and nurses erupted around him. Long after the still bodies of his wife and baby had been wheeled out, Clarence remained standing, like a lone tree in a felled forest. To lose two people that you love in the same day is something that you never quite recover from, Clarence still hasn't, 40 years later.


It was faint at first, the sound of one lone voice, singing a tune that Clarence hadn’t heard since the passing of Ida. Then, like a crescendo of hope, more voices joined in, some off pitch, others echoing a hauntingly sorrowful melody. Clarence hobbles to the window, some part of him hoping to see her standing on a balcony, singing the frail melody of a long forgotten song. While she is not there, so many others are. People so devastatingly human, are singing and dancing for the last time in all of human history. And so Clarence unlatches the stiff window, and from within a voice unused to speaking joins the song. One might almost forget that this is it, the end.  


There are only 15 minutes left before this is all gone, but it doesn’t matter, because Clarence is smiling, the beauty of the colors engulfing him once again. The last sunset to grace this forlorn planet is breathtaking. And when Clarence closes his eyes, a smile ghosts his withered lips, he is no longer alone, no longer gray. 



February 10, 2021 22:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

45 comments

Michael Boquet
17:57 Feb 19, 2021

Very good story. I like that it's short and to the point. Yet, even in few words, you vividly capture emotion. Clarence is instantly relatable. I also love his indifference versus the urgency of the planet being minutes away from destruction. Well done.

Reply

Rebecca Cole
18:09 Feb 19, 2021

Thank you very much, I'm glad that you think so!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
16:25 Feb 13, 2021

Oh, I LOVE sci-fi and you created an amazing story, Rebecca! I loved everything about it - keep it up! -N

Reply

Rebecca Cole
16:27 Feb 13, 2021

Thank you so much!! That means a lot!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:34 Feb 13, 2021

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sam Hayes
20:30 Feb 25, 2021

Wow. Wowie wow wow. Normally, I don’t like science fiction. I don’t like the way it flows. I don’t like reading about how the character’s space blaster works, or about spaceships or black holes or supernovas swallowing up the sun. But I enjoyed this. You managed to fill your well-written dystopian with heart-touching romance and lovely descriptive language. You have changed my mind.

Reply

Rebecca Cole
22:16 Feb 25, 2021

Thank you very much! That's pretty high praise, I'm glad I have! Though I must admit I don't normally write much science fiction, I'm more of a dystopian or fiction kind of gal! This comment made my day, thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anuja Dhoot
09:49 Feb 24, 2021

Whoa...I just loved how you used the contrast between a rainbow and gray. It felt like a short Dystopian story. I enjoyed the story very much and I would look forward to your future writings!

Reply

Rebecca Cole
13:03 Feb 24, 2021

Thank you very much, it means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Theresa Anna
16:45 Feb 23, 2021

So sad and yet Clarence's story was so emotionally fulfilling, good job!

Reply

Rebecca Cole
18:03 Feb 23, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rahnyah Stormyst
06:00 Feb 21, 2021

I like that you evoke the reader to experience the loss and the futileness of the situation. And it evokes in me something Hemmingway said in The Old Man And The Sea. The phrase," No man is ever alone on the sea." and being no longer alone even in death is so surreal. Loved it. Truly a good job.

Reply

Rebecca Cole
17:52 Feb 21, 2021

Aww thank you so much! I love Hemingway, and i’m so chuffed that you got that feeling when reading my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom .
23:11 Feb 20, 2021

Great ending and nice to see sci fi shortlisted.

Reply

Rebecca Cole
01:38 Feb 21, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gary Crawford
18:48 Feb 20, 2021

Excellent story. Excellent composition. A pleasure to read something as professional as this. And your first attempt making it to the short list. Keep it up. Hope to read more from you.

Reply

Rebecca Cole
01:37 Feb 21, 2021

Thank you for this lovely comment it means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
S. Athena
23:30 Feb 19, 2021

Loved it!

Reply

Rebecca Cole
01:37 Feb 21, 2021

thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
18:10 Feb 19, 2021

I loved this story. So beautiful. I look forward to reading more from you! I hope you will check out my stories, I'd love to hear what you think.

Reply

Rebecca Cole
21:18 Feb 19, 2021

Thank you so much! I would love to check out your stories whenever i have a spare minutes!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Love this sci-fi story Rebecca, awesome shortlist!

Reply

Rebecca Cole
15:50 Feb 19, 2021

Thank you so much, i love your work!

Reply

Aww, you too! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
23:59 Feb 18, 2021

I loved the sci-fi aspect of this story and made it so captivating being the sci-fi nerd I am. I loved your vivid description and your vocabulary is phenomenal as the reader I felt the characters coming to life. I hope you will check out some of my stories. Thanks :)) ~Palak

Reply

Rebecca Cole
06:50 Feb 19, 2021

Thank you so much! I would love to check out your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zahra Daya
15:28 Feb 18, 2021

This was a very unique sci-fi story in the sense that I felt I really got to know Clarence well, instead of the story being solely focused on the plot. I'm not a huge lover of sci-fi but I really did enjoy reading this story. Your vivid descriptions of his emotions using imagery and metaphors were simply phenomenal. Very good job! Also, I'd love it if you could check out my recent story and leave me some feedback :) - Z

Reply

Rebecca Cole
16:07 Feb 18, 2021

Thank you so so much, I would love to read your story!!

Reply

Zahra Daya
17:28 Feb 25, 2021

A well-deserved shortlist indeed!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Elizabeth Harper
21:15 Feb 17, 2021

Great storytelling and conveying emotions in a way that your reader feels them too!

Reply

Rebecca Cole
21:26 Feb 17, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Courtney C
20:27 Feb 16, 2021

Such a beautifully sad story. I loved your descriptions, like how she smelled of petrichor! Phenomenal word choices and vocabulary throughout

Reply

Rebecca Cole
22:35 Feb 16, 2021

Thank you so so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:41 Feb 15, 2021

I love this! You have such a unique, vivid way of telling a story, which draws the reader in write from the first sentence- no scrap that- from when they read the title. This is a great start to Reedsy- I'm sure you'll go far here!

Reply

Rebecca Cole
00:57 Feb 16, 2021

Thank you so so much, I love your writing and this means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
05:22 Feb 14, 2021

Woah! This story was absolutely marvellous! The way you articulate emotions in such a vivid way left me reeling. Clarence's every word was so heartfelt and justified, I loved his character. Your writing is such a pleasure to read, and I hope to read more of it!

Reply

Rebecca Cole
21:25 Feb 15, 2021

Thank you so much! I'm so glad that you liked it, you have a great talent with words!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:09 Feb 16, 2021

Aww thank you, so do you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
20:44 Feb 13, 2021

The descriptions are beautiful 🤩

Reply

Rebecca Cole
20:54 Feb 13, 2021

Aww thank you so so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
16:50 Feb 13, 2021

Wow! A wonderful story! You hooked me from the first sentence. I love how you told his story like his whole life flashed before his eyes. I really like this sentence "She loved to read, she consumed words like fire consumes paper, desperately, with no restraint." A beautiful sentence! 💙🌟

Reply

Rebecca Cole
16:55 Feb 13, 2021

Awww thank you so much! That's really kind of you, I love your writing! 💙

Reply

Nancy Drayce
16:57 Feb 13, 2021

You're welcome! Aw, thank you!! You are a great writer too!!

Reply

Rebecca Cole
16:58 Feb 13, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Cole
22:46 Mar 05, 2021

Thank you to everyone who has left a kind comment on this story, it means the world!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.