0 comments

Drama Mystery Thriller

"All my kids have gone now. Moved away."


"Yes, Mrs Marsh. I know."


"I think they moved to Sydney."


"Sydney is it?"


"After the accident. I guess they couldn't handle it."


"Stay still for a moment, Mrs Marsh, I have to move your pillow. Make you more comfortable."


"I loved them, you know. And my grandchild."


"I know Mrs Marsh. You've told me many times."


"Whatever happened to my grandchild?"


"She went, along with her parents."


"I suppose she did. Why did they go?"


"I wouldn't know. Hold still while I turn you over. I think those bed sores might be getting worse."


"Jenny was eight, I think. Terrible accident it was. Such a tragedy."


"Yes. I imagine it would be hard to lose someone so young."


"It is my dear. It is. Such beautiful blue eyes. Her hair was so soft to touch and a lovely strawberry blond. So full of life. She was quite smart too, you know."


"Yes, Mrs Marsh. She won the inter-school junior primary spelling bee, didn't she?"


"How on earth did you know that?"


"Let me roll you back now. Okay, now a quick tidy up, and I'll be done. By the way, you haven't eaten your sandwiches."


"No. I don't think I care for it at all."


"The sandwiches?"


"What, dear?"


"The sandwiches. Do you want the sandwiches you ordered for lunch? You haven't touched them."


"It's the violence I can't stand. Such a waste. Why are people so violent towards children all the time? I don't understand it."


"I'll take them away for you. They are likely stale by now anyway."


"It was a big green car, I remember. I liked it because it looked like a frog, especially when it went into the pond. You see, he found himself in the rain. 'Didn't want to get wet,' he said, 'so he jumped back in the pond again.' Such a silly frog. I wonder who pulled him out? They must have been the ones who found the car. You know, the people in the car didn't die from drowning. "


"No, Mrs Marsh. They didn't."


"The coroner said so at the inquest. 'Person or Persons unknown' he said. I think that was a strange thing to say, don't you?"


"I wouldn't know, Mrs Marsh".


"I wonder why they don't visit me? I miss them all."


"Yes, Mrs Marsh. I have cleaned your bench, and I've removed the sandwiches. The doctor will be in shortly."


"Why don't they visit me? Strange they forget their mother. Did I not raise them properly?"


"You try to get some sleep now before the doctor comes in."


"That's the problem with the world today. No manners and too much violence and death."


***


"How are you today, Mrs Marsh?"


"Quite well, doctor. Thanks for visiting. Sorry, I don't seem to have a cup of tea for you. I must have forgotten to go shopping."


"That's okay, Mrs Marsh. There is plenty of tea in the staff room."


"I would put the kettle on, but I can't find it. Such a nice copper kettle it was too. Lovely ivy patterns and swirls. Bob said it was from the arts and crafts period over a hundred years ago. I can never understand what Bob says."


"Have you been taking your tablets, Mrs Marsh?"


"Yes, horrid things. Get stuck in my throat. And the tea doesn't taste right either. Have you seen my sandwiches? I think they must have forgotten them again."


"Don't worry Mrs Marsh. It's nearly time for dinner. Can I take a look at your eyes?"


"They don't work like they used to doctor. Now I see strange things through these eyes."


"Yes, Mrs Marsh. Hallucinations are a natural side effect of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It can manifest years after the event."


"What? Can you please speak plain English?"


"The incident has left you traumatised. It's not unusual to imagine things, even years later. The medication will help, but otherwise, it's perfectly normal."


"But the water's red, doctor. The frog is green, but the water is red, and Jenny won't talk to me anymore. I think I did a terrible thing."


"Your blood pressure is up, and your eyes are dilated. I will give you this injection, and then you must get some rest."


"But I'm hungry."


"Don't worry. They will wake you up when your dinner arrives."


***


"Mrs Marsh, your dinner is here."


"Oh dear, I'm sorry I seemed to have dozed off. I seem to be making a habit of it these days."


"Special today, dear. Soup and toast, followed by a roast and three veg. Here, let me take the cover off the soup for you."


"It's blood. I'm not eating blood."


"It's tomato soup. Let's not go through all this again. Just eat it."


"But dear, such anger and violence. You know I can't stand the sight of blood."


"If you don't stop it and just eat your meal…"


"Oh, dear. Have you had a bad day? Maybe I could make you a cup of tea?"


"Shut up. Shut the f*** up before I say something I'll regret."


"Oh, but dear, there's no reason to get upset. I'll just leave the soup to one side. It's not like I'm hurting anyone."


"How could you? What got into your head? I can't stand it anymore!"


"What, dear?"


"You monster. Oh, god."


"No need for tears, dear. I'll just put the soup aside. Look, I'm eating the roast. See, no need to worry about the soup. Please don't worry about the soup."


***


"Mrs Marsh, what did you say to Delores."


"Nothing, doctor. I think she has a delicate temperament."


"She ran out of the room, balling her eyes out. What did you say?"


"I think I need someone else to bring my dinner."


"Well, somebody else will be. You can be sure of that."


"Oh, but doctor, what was I supposed to do with a bowl of blood?"


"Look Mrs Marsh; this has gone on long enough. Fortunately, I have some good news. I have finally got the transfer papers. The police are here to help with the transition. We have an ambulance waiting."


"The police? What have I done?"


"Now, Mrs Marsh, don't get yourself worked up. I don't want any broken arms, like last time."


"Broken arms?"


"Yes. You don't seem to know your own strength when you get in one of your states. Let me help to calm you down. Just a little injection."


"I don't want an injection. You can't force me. I'm not a criminal."


"I'm sorry about this, but I have to. It's for the best."


"That hurt."


"Sorry, Mrs Marsh, but it will relax you. Just give it a few minutes then we will take you to your new bed in the high-security wing."


"High-security wing?"


"Yes, Mrs Marsh. It's where you probably should have been all along. It's taken many years, but now I've arranged for more qualified people to help you. They take care of people like you."


"People like me?"


"Yes. It was the day of that terrible downpour. Don't you remember? Your family? Your grandchild? The axe? You dumped the car in the dam. Doesn't any of that ring a bell?"


She looked at the doctor through blank eyes. She blinked a few times like she was trying to replace the images in her brain with new ones.


"Oh, I see."


She lay back in her bed, closed her eyes, and embraced the coming darkness with a gentle smile.

September 29, 2020 19:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.