The Monster on the Mountain

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Start your story with someone accepting a dare.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

Antan and Tormund hiked along the mountains near their village. The two brothers had a bad habit of daring each other to do things they shouldn't. As Antan and Tormund climbed up a ledge path, they found the ruins of an old Mausoleum hidden within a wooded pocket in the mountain. 

"Hey, Antan, I dare you to take a look at what's inside that Tomb!" Tormund suggested.

"I'm not so sure that's a good idea, brother..." Antan said.

"You know what, maybe you're right, maybe we'd be better off washing laundry, or weaving on Grand-mom's loom, or baking cakes." Tormund taunted.

"Alright, I'll do it if it'll get you off my back!" Antan snarled.

Antan pulled open the heavy doors of the old Mausoleum. Inside, there was an Obsidian Coffin, and in front of the Coffin was a stone stela with engraving on it that said.

"Here lies Kass, a Demon sealed inside of this magic Coffin. Do NOT open the Coffin, lest ye invite darkness and despair upon the world once more...."

"Hey, Antan, I dare you to open that Casket!" Tormund said.

"I don't think that's a smart idea..." Antan said.

"I'll give you my dessert tonight!" Tormund said.

Antan then lifted the lid off of the Obsidian Coffin. A black wave flew out of the Mausoleum, and a Demon appeared before the boys. The Demon was a robed Skeleton with black-feathered Wings, four arms, a snake for a lower body, and horns.

"At last! I'm free after thousands of years to reclaim my kingdom! As my thanks, I will allow you to escape this doomed land, boys. Run away while you still can!" The demon said.


The boys fled the mountains like their lives depended on it. The Demon summoned dark clouds and Lightning Bolts across the sky. The boys fled the mountains, and never returned.


The Demon took over the town, drowning the area in perpetual darkness.


A day or so later, a group of twenty-three Mercenaries relaxed at their makeshift camp in a forest clearing, eating a roasted Deer over a spit over the Fire, and singing and laughing. A little girl ran into their Campside party, a woman ran up behind her a few moments after, much to the surprise and confusion of the Mercenaries.


"What's a child doing this far out in the woods?" Said an Archer.

"Is this your daughter, ma'am?" said a man in the group.

"Please, have mercy on us! Our Village was attacked by a DEMON, and we escaped, but we're looking for the nearest city to take shelter until the Demon has been slain!" The Girl's mother pleaded.

"Demon, you say?" said the leader of the Mercenaries, a young, black-haired, muscular, High-Cheekboned, one-eyed man.

"Where might this Village be located?" asked the Leader.

The woman pointed behind her.

"35 miles east of here, across the river, at the foot of the mountain. Can't miss it!" The woman explained.

The leader of the Mercenaries gave the woman a small handful of coins and said "Straight north of here, there's a Village with an Inn 2 miles away. This should cover 2 days. We'll deal with your "Demon" problem!" he said.

"Oh, thank you sir! You are truly a blessing!" the Woman said, taking her daughter straight north.


The next day, the Band of Men who did odd jobs to get by packed up and headed east through the forest. Once they got to the point in the forest where the path forked between the path that lead to the River Bridge and another path that lead southwards, the leader announced "Listen Carefully! We're going to take a little...Detour, so we can talk to a...friend of mine!"

"Detour? What kind of "Friend" do you mean, Beryl?" Said the Archer.

"Calm down, Dalvin, I want to seek out some advice from a Shaman in the Bog south of here. I know him well, he knows enough about the Spiritual and the Supernatural to know what we need!" Beryl explained.

"What's this Shaman's name?" asked a Swordsman.

"His name is Van. He lives in the Marsh about 10 miles from here. We'll plan out a strategy, camp there for the night, and resume our journey at dawn." Beryl explained.


And so the band of men went south to the Marshes, and found the Shaman's hut, decorated with Tribal goods. The Witch Doctor looked up from his fire to see Beryl stand before him.

"Hello, Beryl. I understand you need help..." Van started.

"There's a Demon we're on our way to purge. Do you know if we need something?" Beryl explained.

"Ah, yes. This demon you seek to slay has created a dark Miasma that turns anyone it touches to stone. To have any chance, you need this!" Van said.

The Shaman then gave Beryl a select mix of Herbs, ground Crystal Powder, and Bog Water.

"Smother this salve all over yourselves, and you will be immune to the Miasma. Just one more thing to do, present me your sword so I may prepare it!" Van said.

Beryl then presented his sword. Van put Animal Bones and a select mixture of Flower Petals into the Fire, then held the sword over the fire, issuing a chant. When the chant was over, the Sword's blade was pearl white and had a holy aura.

 You are ready. Face the Demon now, Beryl." said the Shaman.

"Thank you for your help, Van." Beryl said.

The Mercenaries camped at the fork in the road. The next day they resumed their journey. They crossed the river bridge, and they saw a black aura nestled in the meadow just over the horizon. Heeding the Shaman's words, they slathered the salve on themselves, and rushed headfirst into the Darkness.


The Demon lashed it's serpentine tail at the band of Mercenaries, the Serpent's jaws clamping down on one man's torso, the man driving his sword into the Snake's "Neck", rendering it harmless. The Demon launched Lightning Bolts at the Men, the Men artfully dodged, but then the Demon created a rainstorm of falling Fireballs, falling down on 5 warriors. One of the Fireballs fell on top of the Spear-Wielder, but NOT before the Spear-Wielder's Spear pierced one of it's wings.

The Demon grew Centipede legs and continued the fight on solid ground. Dalvin the Archer shot an arrow at the Demon's left eyeball, with another Archer shooting an Arrow at it's right eye, rendering the abomination blind. 


The Demon then shot bones in the air, all but one warrior dodged the attack.


"Beryl! Now's our chance!!" yelled the scout.


Beryl dashed forward with his enchanted blade and leapt forward, thrusting his sword into the Demon's Chest. The Abomination was enveloped in a golden yellow light, then crumbled into pieces. The Dark aura around the village dissapated, and the petrified villagers returned to normal.

Delighted and grateful, the villagers assisted the Mercenaries in burying their dead and declared the survivors honorary citizens. They celebrated with a banquet.

Beryl's band of Mercenaries retired from their Mercenary work and settled for life as Farmers, Hunters, Fishermen, and Smiths. Antan was forgiven for releasing the Demon, but Tormund was exiled for daring his brother to release the Demon.

One night, Beryl crept out silently under the night sky, sword in tow, wandering the land to travel to other villages and cities that had monsters that need slaying....


Author's Note:

If this story gets enough love, I might continue Beryl's story.


May 19, 2021 02:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.