5 comments

Mystery Thriller Suspense

When the minister finally said, “Speak now, or forever hold your peace,” the lingering seconds that followed were the most terrifying but thrilling in my life. The thought of someone from my dark past having crashed my wedding was overwhelming. If the truth should be revealed, the wedding would explode in a flash, and I would be fleeing from the police, if not for my life, since I was trapped standing at the altar with no means of escape. Silently, two seconds passed, then three. Then the minister continued. “Now, by the powers invested in me, I pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.” And just like that, the first phase of my plan was over.

Sandra, my ex-fiancée, now my blushing bride, is soon to be a corpse. For three years after I found her profile on Facebook, I've been working for this moment. Not because of her looks was I pursuing her, but something more basic. Along with a million-dollar life insurance policy listing me as the benefactor, she owned a bank account worth dying for, and soon that someone would be her.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how easy it was to manipulate Sandra into thinking I genuinely cared for her. Fortunately for me, she was naive with a capital N. When I fed her a line about how I was a product of a rags to riches story, she was more than happy to tell me about her life. It turned out she was an only child of loving parents who owned a track of land in Texas, rich in oil. Unfortunately for Sandra, her parents died five years ago in a car accident, but as for me, I couldn’t be happier. Sandra had inherited everything and with a little bit of luck, I was about to get my hands on it.

Occasionally, my conscious would crawl out of the gutter of my mind, wailing, “You don’t have to do this. Go ahead and live and share the wealth with her, for you know there’s more than enough for the both of you.”

On those days that uninvited guest would come to haunt me, I would thrash that thought of guilt and cast it into the back of my mind where it belongs. Afterall, I knew there was no room for Sandra as well as my true love, Becky.

Becky has been partners with me in this scheme since the beginning. Along with helping me organize this plot, she picked out the right gifts for Sandra. She was even willing to give up time with me and accept the idea I had to sleep with Sandra from time to time. To her, it was a small investment she was willing to make, knowing the wealth we could acquire in the future. And now, the future has arrived.

While the photographer was taking his final shots of us at the chapel, the guests from the wedding proceeded to the reception hall. When we arrived, the dancing commenced, followed by dinner. The celebration joyously continued through the evening. 10 P.M. arrived and it was time to go. The guests lined up by the door and wished us on our way. Taking Sandra’s hand with my own, we hopped in the waiting limo and headed down the road.

About halfway to our honeymoon getaway, I had the driver pull over. “We’re about a block away from the waterfront, honey. The stars are out and there’s a full moon in the sky. Why don’t we take a walk before we go to our hotel?” Graciously, Sandra offered me her hand as we exited the car. I couldn't help smiling. The second phase of my plan was about to begin.

As we strolled down the riverfront, Sandra and I found ourselves alone out in the middle of nowhere. It was no wonder why the assailant I hired recommended this place for the attack. As Sandra and I continued our walk, I was searching to see where the assailant would attack from. Realizing the options for hiding places were extremely limited, my heart began to race as we approached a small grove of trees.

The plan was simple. If all went well, it would appear to be a robbery that had gone wrong, and Sandra would die during it.

Sure enough, when we came within two meters of the grove, a man leaped from its shadows wielding a knife. “Don’t even think about running,” he whispered. Give me your wallet and purse.”

Gingerly, Sandra handed over her purse, but as I was reaching for my wallet. The assailant lunged towards me and repeatedly stabbed me in my stomach then disappeared into the darkness. As blood soaked through my shirt, I collapsed to the ground. As I lay there writhing in pain, I found Sandra staring down at me and smiling. “I don’t understand,” I moaned.

Sandra replied, “You don’t understand what? Why were you attacked instead of me? It’s quite simple. He was paid to attack you.”

As life slowly drained from my body, I found myself struggling to speak. “You knew. How?”

“I knew from the beginning, and for that, I have Becky to thank. About a week after you told her your plans, either from guilt or fear you may end up killing her as well, she contacted me and told me what you were up to. It was then Becky, and I became allies in a common cause, to kill you before you killed either of us. Everything you shared with Becky was whispered in my ear, including the name of who you hired to kill me was and how to contact him. It was a simple matter to change his target, with the help of an additional twenty thousand dollars in his pocket. The plan was simple, easy to execute, and your untimely death will be easy for the police to believe. Of course, we wouldn’t kill you out of the kindness of our hearts. Like you, we each took a million-dollar insurance policy out on you. Becky had hers since the beginning of our scheme, and as for me, the last six months.”

Struggling to breathe, I gasped, “It’s not too late to change your mind. I won’t tell the police what you’ve done. I swear it. Please.”

“Don’t worry, my love. I am planning to call 911 eventually. Just lie back and relax. It’ll be over soon. Close your eyes and imagine what our honeymoon night could have been if you had a good heart. Yes, that’s it. Take a deep breath and relax. Again, take a deep breath and…”

March 23, 2023 18:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Laura Orrantia
22:47 Mar 29, 2023

Hi Howard! Great story… it brought me in quick and kept my attention throughout. Enjoyed the twist at the end!!

Reply

Howard Seeley
03:10 Mar 30, 2023

Thank you for the wonderful comment. I admit, I did have fun writing this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
01:46 Mar 29, 2023

:)

Reply

Howard Seeley
04:22 Mar 29, 2023

I'll take that as a you liked it. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Seeley
03:38 Mar 24, 2023

A suspense story with a twist. Enjoy.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.