0 comments

General

Macy Penni gasped. Holiday Renolds' eyes bulged out of their sockets.. Livie San-Andrews looked as if she was going to explode. January Forest gulped.

"So I shouldn't tell him?"

The whole room erupted in absolute chaos.

"NO!!!!!!!" Everyone but January yelled in unison.

"You can't!" Holiday yelled.

"You have to!" Livie shrieked.

"Let's talk about this." Macy, who was the closest to January of the girls in the sorority, explained. She pulled January to the side, hiding behind the door to Elsa Donnely's room.

"I don't think Elsa would approve of us using her door," January pointed out as Macy pressed her against the wall.

"Yeah, well, she's left with Brad, now hasn't she?" Macy said, her wavy bob getting very poofy as she spoke. "She'll be back, and she'll never know we used it."

"Look, just tell me what we're hiding behind this door for."

Macy shook her head, her dark waves slapping her face. "Jan, you moron, you know perfectly well what we're here for."

January rolled her eyes and flipped her wavy red hair. "Yes."

Macy smiled. "Good. I think you should tell him."

"Really? Because I don't think I should."

Macy tugged at her ear. She did that a lot when she was frustrated. "January Topaz Forest, you know you should tell him."

January shrugged. "Yeah."

"THEN TELL HIM!!"

January bit her lip. "But-"

"NO buts!" Macy said quickly, placing a finger on her friends lips. Macy shook her head vigorously. "You tell him everything." She gently took her hands off. "You know what to do."

January shrugged. "Yeah, whatever."

"GOOD! Then, we're done here." Macy pushed the door aside, revealing a girl with long auburn-hair and hazel eyes. Macy blew at her bangs, irritated. "Livie San-Andrews, do you have to?!"

"Reporters duty," Livie said, sticking her nose up.

"Yeah, like readers from around the world are gonna want to know about Jan and Lampton's relationship."

"Do you always call people by their full names?" January asked quietly.

Macy shot her a dirty look.

"Livie, what we discussed doesn't go past George Hall, y'hear?"

Livie nodded quickly, before disappearing into her room.

Macy pulled January into her room. Before they entered, however, January saw Holiday's white-blond waves dart past her and enter Livie's room. Livie was spreading the gossip like wildfire. Great.

"C'mon, the make-up's not gonna move itself!" Macy bellowed, pushing January into her room and out of sight.

* * * * *

At around 8:00, Elsa Donnely returned from her date with Brad. She wore her long blond hair in a neat braid, and had on a casual red-knit sweater and dark jeans. She had been on a simple theater date, from what the rest of the girls had heard that morning.

"Hello!" She called as she entered the house. Holiday peeked out from her bedroom, where the continuous sound of typing had come to a stop. Elsa gave her an odd stare. Holiday scowled.

"English paper. 8-10 pages of the Gettysburg Address nonsense. Oh." Holiday noticed Elsa's face. She nudged her head to the left. "They're in there."

Elsa nodded warmly and walked over to Macy's room. She slowly opened the door.

"GET OUT, LIVIE, THERE IS NO GOSSIP IN HERE UNLESS YOU NEED A STORY ABOUT FINDING JAN A SUITABLE BRAZIER!!!"

Macy's voice was so loud that Elsa thought she was speaking through a microphone. Elsa stepped inside.

"Er, is this a bad time?"

Macy dropped the hairbrush she was using on January. Elsa had something that made her presence intimidating.

"Um, I'd say no, but yeah, sort of."

Elsa smirked. "Okay. I'll leave you to it." She began walking out, but paused in the doorway. "I just wanted to tell you that Brad and I changed our movie date to a beach date."

Macy's mouth hung open. "Oh?"

January spoke up. "And...?!"

Elsa smiled and waved her finger, which had a diamond studded ring on it. "You write your own ending."

* * * * *

"So..." Jan started, twirling a strand of hair in her finger. She and Rowan Lampton were walking down a path in the park, moonlight shining in their midst. January was attempting to start up a conversation.

"Um, Elsa got engaged," January said.

"Oh?" Rowan looked up at her. "To who?"

"Brad, I think...."

"Really? I thought she was with Dale Mitchell."

"No, she left him about a year ago. She got engaged tonight..." January stopped and turned to Rowan, grabbing his hands in her mittens. "Um, Rowan? I have something to tell you."

Rowan glanced at her, brushing some black hair out of his face. "Oh."

January bit her lip, and pointed to a nearby park bench. "You might want to sit down."

"I'm getting nervous." Rowan chuckled, still managing a smile. He sat down next to January, who was fidgeting with her scarf. He scooted closer. "You okay?"

January held her breath. She was tempted to just run off and leave Rowan on edge, but she couldn't go back now. She was no coward. Then why was her heart telling her to run while her brain was telling her to stay?

Slowly, and so suddenly, tears began flowing down January's face like a river. And they didn't stop. Soon, January was sobbing her heart out into Rowan's shoulder. Rowan was patting her back affectionately, though he was extremely interested in what his girlfriend was crying over

"Uh, Jan? Are you good?"

January hiccuped her words. "Oh...ROWAN!!" She burst back into tears and buried her face in her scarf.

Rowan gulped. "January, are you hurt? What's going on?!"

January's eyes were red and swollen, and her face was tear stained. She looked up at Rowan.

"Rowan, I'm a fool and a coward. I did what I had to do, but it was the path of least resistance. Please forgive me unlike the people who will if they hear this."

January leaned in closer, gulping back tears and taking a deep breath. She whispered in her boyfriend's ear.

"Can you keep a secret?"

August 15, 2020 14:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.