4 comments

Fiction Fantasy Urban Fantasy

-WINDCREST PACKHOUSE-



Two men grabbed her by her arms roughly and threw her to the floor in front of their alpha’s feet. Harley, too tired to even lift her head to see the person in front of her. She heard the door close behind as the two men who had mercilessly dragged her to this large room left. Minutes passed by before she could muster up the strength to stand up. Harley put all her weight in her clenched fists to lift her upper body. While resting on her knees she could almost see her reflection on the white marble floor. She also saw blood stains from where her face rested. She then fixed her gaze on two crossed feet in front of her.


“You’re a beta, right?”, said a man’s voice.

“Yes. How did you know that?”, asked Harley.


Harley managed to get up from her knees to face the man in front of her. When she looked at his face, she saw dark blue eyes that seemed to stare straight into her soul and thick eyebrows above his cold eyes. His mouth in a thin, straight line. An emerald green t-shirt covered his broad shoulders and outlined his upper body. Right above his shoulders was his pitch-black, curly hair.


“You smell like one”, said the man in a deep voice.

“Wow really?”, said Harley while giggling nervously. She couldn’t look into his eyes. He was clearly an alpha judging from his commanding voice.


“Yes”, he replied, “I am Alpha Lincoln Windcrest, I take it you know that you’re in my territory. Now, care to tell me why you ran in here like a madwoman and attacked my guards?”, he asked. Lincoln stepped away from his desk and sat on one of the two black tuxedo couches in his office with his arms crossed.


Harley scratched the back of her head before thinking of an answering Lincoln. “It’s kind of a long story really”, she said with an unsure expression on her face.


“Well go on beta, I have all day if you ask me”. He gestured his hand to the opposite couch so she could take a seat.

Harley tensely walked sideways to the black leather tuxedo couch. She sat on an edge and didn’t lean back. Her hands were tightly clasped, and her body was still in pain making it stiff. Her feet were also inseparable. Glancing at Lincoln’s expressionless face didn’t calm her nerves.


“What’s your name?”, asked Lincoln.

“H-Harley”

“Harley, please make yourself comfortable and sit properly on my couch. You’ll break your back further if sit like that”, he chuckled. “I won’t bite you Harley, just tell me what brings you here and why you attacked my guards”.


Harley let out a breathy, distressed sigh and leaned back into the couch as Lincoln instructed. She finally let go of her tension and placed her palms on her laps. She looked straight at Lincoln and gave him an awkward smile. Lincoln continued staring at her patiently.


“So… I’m from the Sunset Pack in the Meadows Hills and I am Alpha Mac’s beta, Harley Blake. Our long-term enemies, the Red Claws Pack, decided to execute a surprise attack on us since we were still resting from a previous battle, thus, worn out. As I was fighting beside my packmates, I heard a voice telling me to go to my room. It sounded urgent. And so, I left the training field where we were attacked and ran to my room. I felt a strong presence in there causing me to fall to my knees. It was suddenly filled with light and I couldn’t exactly open my eyes. I heard a voice again and knew that it was the moon goddess.” Harley paused for a moment to see a very interested Lincoln with his eyes much wider. She cleared her throat and continued telling her story.

“It was really confusing at first but then I managed to calm down. She told me that my pack was going to be destroyed and only a few will survive, including me. She said that the survivors will be scattered among the neighboring packs and I should come to the Windcrest Pack for refuge. After she finished talking and left, I immediately got up and left my room, finding my way here. Although, it wasn’t easy. I was attacked by a few werewolves from the Red Claws Pack. I attacked your guards because I thought they were from the Red Claws.” She looked up to Lincoln once more with teary eyes, “I’m really sorry for attacking your guards, I didn’t mean to”, said Harley in a cracked voice.


Tears began streaming down her bloodied cheeks uncontrollably as she broke down. She remembered the cries and howls of pain from her packmates. The bloody scene with werewolves fighting each other to death.

In an instant, Lincoln was beside her with a box of tissues, “Here you go”, he said. He left it by her side and sat at his desk.


“Moon goddess you say?”, said Lincoln. He had a concerned look on his face and propped his chin with his hands.

Harley nodded in silence.

“I see”, said Lincoln. He leaned back on his chair and looked up to the ceiling as if in deep thought.

“Look Harley, I don’t know you, but I’ll try to help you”, said Lincoln reluctantly.

Lincoln stood up and called for his beta, “Kyle!”

Kyle was immediately at Lincoln’s door waiting for permission to enter. Lincoln nodded and Kyle entered. His eyes were locked on Harley. Before Lincoln cleared his throat to gain his attention. Kyle looked at Lincoln and bowed at him in respect,

 “Alpha”, he said.


“Kyle this is Harley Blake from the Sunset pack. She’s Alpha Mac’s beta. Her pack was attacked by the Red Claws and she claims that the moon goddess led her here for safety.”

“What would you like me to do Alpha?”, asked Kyle. Kyle was also suspicious of Harley but even more than Lincoln.

“Kyle. I want you to prepare a room for her and call Cassy to make sure she’s telling the truth and won’t turn on us.”

“Yes Alpha”, replied Lincoln. He mind-linked one of the servants to prepare a room for the she-wolf then made a phone call to Cassy.


“Harley, this is Mandy, one of our workers. She will show you to your room where you will stay for two days until Cassy can confirm your identity. Any questions?”


“No Kyle”, said Harley as she followed Mandy to a room at the end of the hall. Kyle narrowed his eyes as he watched Harley followed Mandy.

Harley would only be offered water to keep her alive for the following two days. It was a rule for all unknown wolves to be isolated until Cassy, the Luna brings evidence of their innocence.

Harley’s clothes were torn and partially covered in dirt and blood. Her white maxi dress was no longer recognizable. Her sneakers were also filthy and worn out. She also had a few minor cuts and scratches on her arms and face.

The room she stayed in had black walls and a bed with only black bedding. There was no chair or table or any other kind of furniture. It also had a small rectangular window, which had the beautiful scenery of a garden.


-TWO DAYS LATER-


Harley was laying on her bed facing the ceiling and lost in her thoughts of her pack. She was disturbed by the sound of the door opening, revealing Lincoln and a short chubby man in a white coat behind him.

“Rise and shine Ms Blake, I think it’s time you took a shower and had a change of clothes”, said Lincoln jokingly.

“Well it’s about time I did…”, said Harley and trailed off.

Lincoln gave her towels and a floral dress. He guided her to a steamy bathtub filled with bubbles and flowers.

“Wow, this is…”

“I know, you should Cassy, she has a soft spot for she-wolves. If you need anything call Mandy”, said Lincoln as he closed the door behind him.

Harley didn’t waste any time undressing and got into the bathtub with hot water. She let out a sigh of relief and let her body soak in the water. She’d never been treated like this at a stranger’s house she thought to herself.


-RED CLAWS PACK-



“MARCUS! Get me a pen paper!”

“Alpha Red, here they are”

“You’re excused Marcus, close the door behind you and don’t let anyone in until I say so”


Marcus hurriedly walked out of Alpha Red’s office and stood behind the door, guarding it. Alpha Red seemed furious that day and lashed out at everyone. He was bitter since he found out that Harley and Mac escaped. He had Marcus track down Harley’s location since he wanted her dead the most. Marcus informed him that she was staying at the Windcrest Packhouse.

Alpha Red decided to write a warning letter to the Windcrest Pack:

“Greetings Alpha Windcrest

I believe you know why I’m writing to you. Hand Harley over to me and we won’t have to fight. My men are well trained and willing to kill anyone I order them to. Accept this offer and we’ll never have to cross paths again.


Alpha Red”


Alpha Red folded the paper and slid it into an envelope.

“Marcus come in”, he ordered. Marcus instantly entered, he had his head lowered and hands behind his back.

“Take this to the Windcrest Pack, make sure Lincoln receives it”

“Yes, Alpha Red”, said Marcus as he left the office.


-WINDCREST PACKHOUSE-



“You seem comfortable now, but you do look hungry. Mandy will show you to your new room then you can come have breakfast with us in the living room”, said Lincoln to Harley.

“Thank you so much Alpha Lincoln, I am quite famished”, said Harley.

Mandy guided Harley to a spacious room with colourful curtains and floral bedding. The wind blew through the open glass windows and there was the sound of chirping birds outside. The lively room smelled like a lavender garden.

“Ms Blake, please follow me to the living room so you can have your breakfast”, said Mandy behind her.


After having breakfast, Kyle said something to Lincoln that seemed to upset him. He then followed Lincoln to his office. Shortly after that, everyone resumed their daily training and chores. Harley was quite bored since she was too tired to train with the rest of the pack. She went back to her room, curled up in the middle of her bed and began crying. Memories of the Red Claws slashing her pack’s throats and bodies flooded her mind. She remembered the smirk on Alpha Red’s bloody face as he slaughtered her packmates like they were nothing. She then began feeling guilty for fleeing the scene when she did. Her eyes were distinctly pinkened and she pursed her lips while trying to shake off the pangs of conscience in her chest.


Harley heard a knock on the door and briskly wiped the tears off her sweet oval face. She took a few moments to reply so that whoever was behind the door wouldn’t suspect anything. The door slowly opened to reveal the same short and chubby man again along with Kyle. Anyone would mistake him as Kyle’s son. As they walked closer, the man with Kyle appeared to be a doctor with a wide and daffily charming smile and bright hazel eyes behind a set of round spectacles. He held a book close to his chest.


“Good morning Harley, this is Dr. Dameon Norris and he will be checking if you’re alright. Is that okay with you?”, asked Kyle.

“Yes, it’s alright, thank you”, replied Harley shyly. She looked down for most of the time to avoid eye contact with either of the men.

“Alright then, I’ll be outside if you need me”, said Kyle while closing the door behind him. He took a quick glance at gloomy Harley before he closed the door. He could sense that she was not emotionally well.

“So Ms Blake, I’m Dr. Norris. I hope you’re alright. Alpha Windcrest told me about you and asked me to check on you. Is there anything you’d like to tell me?”, asked Dr Norris. He pulled out a chair from the desk next to him, sat down, and waited for Harley’s response.

“Well physically I’m pretty much alright, my scars have healed well. I-I just can’t stop replaying what happened to my family”, replied Harley. Talking forced her to tear up and howl even more.


Behind the door, Kyle heard everything and shed a few tears. Losing family was something he and Lincoln knew all too well. The Red Claws had caused enough trouble in their lifetime.


-RED CLAWS PACKHOUSE-



“Greetings, Alpha Red

I’m not sorry to disappoint you but I’ve decided to keep Harley. She will not be returned to you because of your motives. I suggest you ready your warriors for the war. I let you kill my first mate and now I won’t let you have your way with my sister too. I’ve had enough of you Alpha Red. It is time you met your demise.

Meet us at Blue Hill on Friday at 7am.


Alpha Windcrest”


“Ahh stupid boy, he thinks he’s a man enough to fight me. Then so be it!”, said Alpha Red to himself. He smashed his wooden desk in half with his fist. The response had angered him.

“MARCUS!”, shouted out Alpha Red, “Prepare our men and women for battle in three days with the Windcrest Pack. Make sure everyone is in tip-top shape, including yourself.”

“Yes Alpha, I will do just that”, Marcus bowed his head and informed the whole pack about what needs to be done. Everyone began extensive training in preparation for battle.


-WINDCREST PACK-




“Kyle, I need you to bring everyone to the hall, including Harley. We should tell them what’s going on”, Lincoln mind-linked Kyle.


After a few minutes, everybody was gathered at the hall to hear what Lincoln had to say. It had been a while since they have all gathered like that. Harley was met with a lot of surprised faces as not everyone was aware of her presence.


“Good afternoon everyone”, greeted Lincoln.

“Good afternoon alpha”, hundreds of voices synonymously replied.

Lincoln cleared his throat and took a step closer to the crowd. He looked at Cassy beside and gave her an empty smile before addressing the pack.

“I’m sure you all remember Alpha Red”, Lincoln said. The pack began murmuring and Lincoln could instantly feel their anger.

“He cold-bloodedly murdered my first mate and now he has destroyed the Sunset Pack. Harley here is my half-sister. The moon goddess told me in a dream a few days ago that I will be re-united with my half siter soon”, Lincoln paused for a moment to let the pack take in all that he had said.

Harley was as shocked as everyone and burst into tears once again. Soon Kyle and some pack members surrounded her with hugs.

“Alpha Red requested for Harley’s return in change for peace. That was of course an offer I declined. On Friday at 7am, we will meet the Red Claws Pack for battle at Blue Hill. Cassy, Abe, Max, Troy and Kassidy will stay behind to protect Harley from any ambush. The rest of us will be at Blue Hill. Any questions?”


The hall was silent, which Lincoln took as a yes. He and Kyle dismissed everyone except for Harley. They both wrapped their arms around her. They assured her that everything will be alright.

June 03, 2021 13:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Cassandra Levone
15:14 Jun 05, 2021

Ooh! This was interesting! The format was nice too! Great work!

Reply

Melo Hale
15:22 Jun 06, 2021

thank you so much, I actually tried to put some effort into this one since I've been MIA

Reply

Cassandra Levone
16:10 Jun 06, 2021

Mhm, I can sympathize- It takes a bit to get back into writing after you've been away for a while. Glad you're back and hope you're doing well!

Reply

Melo Hale
11:01 Jun 08, 2021

I am trying to get back on my feet, thanks for the good wishes

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.